RIP - David Bowie

Janet

With the exception of all the fuss about Life on Mars a few years back, Bowie seems to have completely passed me. 

I don't own any of his albums, I've never seen Labyrinth, so the extent of the collective outpouring of grief on Twitter this morning was a bit of a surprise.

69 is far too early to go though.

Same, Raven. I know he's an icon, but he's not one who ever impacted me. I tried to watch Labyrinth once and had to turn it off it was so bad. I feel like I'm missing out on something by not getting him, though.

For unknown reasons, I've never really listened to David Bowie. Maybe his peak was before my time...? None of my friends or family listened to him so I never was 'made' to listen to him and so never got inspired. I do know one song by him, though, it was on a movie soundtrack, and that one I really liked... 

Oddly enough, I'm watching the new celeb BB series that started in the UK just last week, and Angie Bowie is one of the housemates. When I was reading through a few BB forum threads earlier this morning, one of the threads was titled Angie's ex David Bowie has died and I thought, no he hasn't, what a bad troll. And then later on when I was reading the news, I found out that it was true. 

I'm sorry for all my friends who've loved Bowie's music and who are now saddened by this early departure   :friends0:  :friends0:

I found it strange that I'd been thinking about David Bowie this week after reading a short story by Neil Gaiman in ​Trigger Warning ​called 'The Return of the Thin White Duke.' Apparently it was meant to accompany fashion drawings of David Bowie and his wife by a Japanese artist in a magazine, but it wasn't published. It's a great story. I think I'll always think of him as the goblin king though. 69 was certainly too young.

Goodreads linked this list of David Bowie's 100 favourite books http://electricliterature.com/david-bowies-100-favorite-books/ some of them I think I could have guessed but others are fairly surprising.

Goodreads linked this list of David Bowie's 100 favourite books http://electricliterature.com/david-bowies-100-favorite-books/ some of them I think I could have guessed but others are fairly surprising.

Thank you for that.

Oooh list of his 100 favourite books! Definitely gonna look at that.

I've become very intrigued by his last album - I saw a link (which admittedly I didn't actually follow and read) on Facebook last night which said that Bowie's producer said this last album was meant to be a goodbye, and people are talking a lot about the lyrics now. I'm definitely going to listen to it, because I find it actually quite moving if its true that he kept his illness quite and chose to express his final thoughts and feelings via his art.

Wouldn't it be typical if I wound up liking him :roll:

Yes, it would appear dated. I think the majority of fans watched it back in the 80s.. and as a teenager, I saw Jim Henson puppets, a fantasy story, the character of the Goblin King, and a film about growing up (whilst at the same time, never quite letting go of your childhood). There's an excellent blog post here (you may have seen it on twitter) which explains much better than I can. :)

Hehe art of them is acceptable - not many pictures on there but it looks lovely from what I can see.

And no, I detest muppets I'm afraid! I don't know why. Still, I know that film was sort of coming of age ritual for a lot of my Bowie-fan friends, so I should at least watch enough to get a good sense of him in it.

Yes, it would appear dated. I think the majority of fans watched it back in the 80s.. and as a teenager, I saw Jim Henson puppets, a fantasy story, the character of the Goblin King, and a film about growing up (whilst at the same time, never quite letting go of your childhood). There's an excellent blog post here (you may have seen it on twitter) which explains much better than I can. :)

Well, if you don't like the puppets, you're probably never going to like the film - I just pictured you as someone who would like muppets / puppets, I dunno why. How about the art side - I've wanted this book for a loooong time! 

I always preferred The Dark Crystal, and I've always wanted a copy of this book.

I just hate muppets. Really loathe them. :giggle:

Do you like Yoda? He's basically Gonzo without the cannon and chicken fetish.

• 1 month later...

The day he died, I met some old friends and they were huge fans either… after we heard the news about his death, we went to a pub and raised our glasses in a toast to him. Afterwards, we went to my apartment and listen to his songs while we were drinking beer… I wouldn’t call it a tribute but it was a nice evening though

I have just bought a vinyl copy of Bowie at the Beeb. Fantastic stuff. But I can't believe these sessions were recorded before I was born. :thud: I mean, he was only about 25 when he did these sessions (if my maths is right). Amazing!