Jean-Paul Sartre

Angury

I have always had an interest in philosophy, but have been very apprehensive about picking up a book because of the reputation it has garnered of being difficult to understand.

This is what I love about Sartre's work. It is written so simply, that you can follow his line of thought and go away questioning yourself and the world around you. In particular, it was his novel Nausea that really made me stop and think.

I am now thinking about reading some of his plays, especially his most famous No Exit.

Are there any Sartre fans out there, and if so, which of his works would you say you enjoyed most?

Yes!  Please read No Exit!  It doesn't read so much as a play, its easy to read.  I did the play and it remains one of my favorites out of all the plays I did (dozens).  It's great, also Edward Albee's The Zoo Story is great too :)

No Exit is amazing. I have a book of plays by Sartre Called No Exit and Three Other Plays. It has No Exit, The Flies, Dirty Hands and The Respectful Prostitute. The other plays are really good as well. Also have you read any of Albert Camus' writings? The Stranger is an excellent book.

No Exit is amazing. I have a book of plays by Sartre Called No Exit and Three Other Plays. It has No Exit, The Flies, Dirty Hands and The Respectful Prostitute. The other plays are really good as well. Also have you read any of Albert Camus' writings? The Stranger is an excellent book.

Oh, yes I have 'No Exit and Three Other Plays' as well. Great to hear some positive reviews, I will definitely give his plays a go.

Yes, I have read Camus as well - I believe I wrote a review on here a while back about his work. I loved The Stranger, his simplistic writing style makes it so easy to follow, and yet the ideas they contain can be so profound. For some reason however, I seemed to be more drawn towards Sartre than Camus, I'm not sure why - I suspect it may be due to the style more than anything else. You have just reminded me of the Camus books I have on my to-read list though!