Andrea's reading in 2016

~Andrea~

:empathy:   Life's just been in the way, and it's been too stressful... I'm not sure even the most promising book could've enticed you at this point! Sometimes life is what it is and reading takes a backseat, unfortunately. It's not great, but what can one do. It's not fun to force one's reading... Reading should always be a pleasure, not a chore. I hope you'll find better and more relaxing times ahead of you, to catch up on your reading (and to catch up on some serenity in your life)!  :friends3:

• 2 months later...

Feeling a lot better. I still have little appetite for fiction but I have at least read a few books, all on theology or christian spirituality, which seems to be what I do have an appetite for at the moment!

The Pursuit of God - A W Tozer

Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster

Simply Christian - Tom Wright

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My mojo is definitely picking up!

I really enjoyed Spectacles by Sue Perkins. It's a quick easy read and really had me laughing out loud throughout. It was also rather poignant in places. She writes as she speaks and you can just imagine her talking as you're reading. She comes across as a very warm person full of humour and she comes from a humorous family. I loved the cheese story! Definitely recommend this.

I'm now reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I'm enjoying so far, with a few reservations which I'll save for later, but we'll see how it pans out.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you lau_lou.

Well I really enjoyed The Handmaid's tale. It was a strange little story but beautifully written, and even though not a great deal happens in it, it was a very engaging read.

I've just started The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill. So far so good!

I'm now reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I'm enjoying so far, with a few reservations which I'll save for later, but we'll see how it pans out.

I'm curious: what were your reservations? :)  

I'm happy to hear your mojo's back! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

• 1 month later...

Thanks Sari.

Well failry early on in the book I found one of the scenes a bit over the top. I think it was one where they were:

in the gymnasium and someone was singled out for having been raped and having an abortion and everyone was made to chant "it's her fault, it's her fault". The scene just made me wonder if the book was going to completely lack any subtlety while making its point.

However the book was so well written, and this was the only alarm bell, so after reading it I think overall it worked well.

I mean, it was a very strange book, but I did enjoy reading it.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Well failry early on in the book I found one of the scenes a bit over the top. I think it was one where they were:

in the gymnasium and someone was singled out for having been raped and having an abortion and everyone was made to chant "it's her fault, it's her fault". The scene just made me wonder if the book was going to completely lack any subtlety while making its point.

However the book was so well written, and this was the only alarm bell, so after reading it I think overall it worked well.

I mean, it was a very strange book, but I did enjoy reading it.

Ah, I understand :) It's been quite a few years since I read the book so I don't remember many particulars about it. I'm glad you still enjoyed reading it! :)