Poppyshake's Reading Year 2016

poppyshake

So many wonderful reviews to read through! :smile2: Good to have you back on form! (No pressure!!) I shall drink to your computer's health! =D

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton 

Liked it but could have cheerfully thrown it out of the window by the end .. its lovely cover saved it!

Lol! This is the most contradictory verdict of a book I've seen in a while! Liked it but could've thrown it out the window =D mI have the book on my wishlist and it's one of those that I'd really like to like, but even before your review I've felt that I might not. I wonder if I should just cross it off the list... :blush:

The Bees by Laline Paull

Surely this must be made into a film, they simply must! They've made such great strides in digital animation now that it would be brilliant. If they do I'll be lamenting the fact that they can't use Rik Mayall to voice the drone, Sir Linden .. who seemed to me to be the embodiment of Lord Flashheart! 

Awww, Rik Mayall... Bless him. 

I read your review and I thought, okay, that doesn't sound like a book I'd read, like, at all... But I thought, I know poppyshake's tastes and they are so similar to mine... Let's just go with the flow and have faith! I made a reservation for a copy and I actually got a copy yesterday =D Quick going! I don't know when and if I will get to reading it, though...  :hide:

I know .. doesn't life get in the way!? When I think of all the hours I spend shopping and cleaning and ironing and washing etc. Who wants to do any of that? It's cutting into my book and booky things time!!

Yes, life is a definite b*stard  :theboss:  :lol: We should all just sit in our dirty knickers (and sometimes wave them in the air... Not because we're jamming, but because we want to air them a bit) and just order food in and read, read, read, and post review!  :readingtwo: 

You did tell me yes, I remember you being particularly disappointed that they didn't do full justice to the 'birthday cake of revenge' scene  

Yes, I was so disappointed about that particular peculiarity  :lol: It annoyed me to no end! I would've loved to see how Hollywood pulled that off...  :lol:  Waste of a movie that was. 

I know! Is it an age thing do you think? .. something you grow to like more like Werther's Originals and cardigans?

:lol: I have this image of this commercial where a Grandpa was reading a newspaper and a kid wanted a section of the paper, and then the Grandpa said, 'And I bet you also want one of my Riesen's', which is some sort of candy. Have never had Riesen's but it was so badly dubbed into Finnish that it's remained a classic :D And I could just see that but substituted Riesen's with Werther's Originals :lol:

If it's an age thing... I'll let you know after December, LOL!

Thank you lovely xx I was wandering around Waterstone's on my birthday .. with money and vouchers and I was willing something to speak to me .. and this book did!
I must say it's challenging though .. blimey did I suffer but I enjoyed it .. I quite like to suffer when reading. Apart from with boredom .. nothing is worse. It felt right to suffer as she was suffering so much. She doesn't come across very well .. she's not likeable at all but in a funny way I did admire her .. for her honesty as much as anything. 

Re: Central Station Wepting and Satting... It might be a challenge but oh how I loved the quote :wub: I'm sure it's one of those where you must be in the very right mood for reading it. As you need to go word by word... It's the writing as much as the plot. I'm sure it's captivated all of the thoughts I've felt every now and then about... certain things! 

Oh gosh the movie was just sublime. Reading Keats is not as easy or accessible as I was hoping but I'm glad I did. I'm pretty sure the Finnish edition was not to blame 

But the Finnish sounded so off! It did not work. I'm not saying the original will be easy peasy for me, but it'll be the real thing. I just think English is so much more romantic than Finnish. :unsure:

It's one of the stories that has stayed with me actually and one that was v close to being loved. Yes .. Guylain is such a darling character.

I'm rather happy to hear that it was close to being loved. When I saw you rate it on GR, I was actually wondering why you didn't give it 5/5. Not that we always have to agree on things, but it just left me wondering if there was something that had annoyed you :smile2: Now I know there probably wasn't a thing! 

I definitely am going to read more .. I love this partnership  

Wohoo! :smile2:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michell

Review: Oh, I do love a book about a penguin :wub: I remember wanting one after reading Death and the Penguin .. and, if anything, I want one even more now. I shan't give in to my impulses though .. I know little penguins are better off where they are and we would probably be incompatible. Do penguins like Kate Bush and cheese on toast? It's doubtful but anyway .. everyone who reads this absolutely enchanting tale will hanker after their very own penguin to love. Don't say I didn't warn you.

When I saw the title, I immediately thought of Misha :wub::D And I know what you mean about wanting one... This book is totally going on my wishlist! (And coincidentally I've been thinking about re-reading DatP so that I could read the next book in the series. I've got the book borrowed from the library 'as we speak' :) )

I also like the sound of Yuki Chan in Bronte Country by Mick Jackson , it's going on my wishlist! :) 

spill simmer falter wither by Sara Baume  ... I borrowed the book from the library a few months ago, and started it, but bloody hell, I struggled with the writing. Or rather the narrative. It was all you you you and I don't deal well with that kind of thing, which is a darn shame as I really wanted to like the book. I'm not saying the author isn't talented, because I liked the writing as such, the use of words and things like that, it was just the narrative. Yes, the narrative, not the writing. Oh dear. 

Just read your review of 'the Bees' not a book I have come across, but was drawn in by the title....since I have lots of buzzy bees in the garden just now... :giggle: 

• 2 weeks later...

Both of those sound really good, so I've popped them on the wishlist. Spill Simmer Falter Wither - what an odd title! :thud:

Spill Simmer Falter Wither, that's a tonque twister!

It is a bit of an odd title, clever though .. it's probably what drew me to the book. That and the cover .. there was a doggy on it  :smile: 

I thought Spill was overrated and the ending spoiled it I thought! But it's won awards and stuff here so I'm in the minority on that. I felt it's one of those books that's very pretty to read, but ultimately lacks substance. Glad you enjoyed it though, Kay, and hope anyone else who reads it likes it too!

(I'm commenting on practically everything you've read lately, sorry! Feel like I'm stalking your thread! :lol: )

Haha .. stalk away!  :D I'm very grateful for visitors  :D 

I know Spill divides readers .. it's not for everyone and I've read a lot of lukewarm reviews. I think it's a book to be borrowed rather than bought .. high risk factor :D  

So many wonderful reviews to read through!  Good to have you back on form! (No pressure!!) I shall drink to your computer's health! =D

Bother .. I've gone off the boil already :lol: My computer is still limping on one leg with a blindfold and limited speech  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  Thank God my oven doesn't behave in this way .. refusing to cook a pie because of a full memory, binning things at will and trying to trick me into revealing my bank details  :D 

Lol! This is the most contradictory verdict of a book I've seen in a while! Liked it but could've thrown it out the window =D mI have the book on my wishlist and it's one of those that I'd really like to like, but even before your review I've felt that I might not. I wonder if I should just cross it off the list... 

Well, you won't have to share the reading with Alan so that's a positive :D It's not a bad book at all .. it just outstayed its welcome a bit and ultimately didn't go anywhere or it didn't go to the places I thought it should and as we all know .. that's most important!! :yes:  ;)  :D 

Awww, Rik Mayall... Bless him.

Indeed! RIP Rik :(

I read your review and I thought, okay, that doesn't sound like a book I'd read, like, at all... But I thought, I know poppyshake's tastes and they are so similar to mine... Let's just go with the flow and have faith! I made a reservation for a copy and I actually got a copy yesterday =D Quick going! I don't know when and if I will get to reading it, though...  

Well ... I definitely won't hold that against you as I do the same. Not sure you're wise to have faith in my choices :lol: .. that's led you down the garden path before but I'm very touched that you do :hug: Here's hoping that one day you'll read The Bees and enjoy it. 

Yes, life is a definite b*stard . We should all just sit in our dirty knickers (and sometimes wave them in the air... Not because we're jamming, but because we want to air them a bit) and just order food in and read, read, read, and post review!  

:oDid I really advocate that? :lol: 

It's a really good idea though  :giggle:  :hug: 

Yes, I was so disappointed about that particular peculiarity  :lol: It annoyed me to no end! I would've loved to see how Hollywood pulled that off...    Waste of a movie that was.

Yes, very annoying. So often the case though  :blush2:

I have this image of this commercial where a Grandpa was reading a newspaper and a kid wanted a section of the paper, and then the Grandpa said, 'And I bet you also want one of my Riesen's', which is some sort of candy. Have never had Riesen's but it was so badly dubbed into Finnish that it's remained a classic. And I could just see that but substituted Riesen's with Werther's Originals :lol:

:D Ooh .. just looked them up .. they look far more enticing than a Werther's. Having said that .. I do enjoy a Werther's every now and then. Dad has a tin full and it's a red letter day when I get offered one :lol: Just think, I might amount to my own tin one day!  :smile2:

If it's an age thing... I'll let you know after December, LOL!

What?! You is a spring chicken! :yes:  

Re: Central Station Wepting and Satting... It might be a challenge but oh how I loved the quote :wub: I'm sure it's one of those where you must be in the very right mood for reading it. As you need to go word by word... It's the writing as much as the plot. I'm sure it's captivated all of the thoughts I've felt every now and then about... certain things!

Yes, gorgeous writing and definitely a book to get out when you're feeling reflective and in the mood to be carried away by words  :smile: 

But the Finnish sounded so off! It did not work. I'm not saying the original will be easy peasy for me, but it'll be the real thing. I just think English is so much more romantic than Finnish. :unsure:

Well, no. I can't agree with that. But probably best to read it in its original language. Really tough job though to translate I would have thought ... such convoluted sentences .. and such personal feelings expressed by the author. Really, it must have given the translator a migraine! It gave me one .. and I was just trying to read it :lol: 

I'm rather happy to hear that it was close to being loved. When I saw you rate it on GR, I was actually wondering why you didn't give it 5/5. Not that we always have to agree on things, but it just left me wondering if there was something that had annoyed you :smile2: Now I know there probably wasn't a thing!

Do you know, I have no idea why I didn't give it full marks now. There wasn't anything that annoyed .. it might just have been my mood on the day of reviewing :D Yes, it really does come down to that. Some days I am benevolence itself and some days I would knock a point off of Pride and Prejudice .. for not including the scene whereby Darcy jumps in the lake .. and gets all wet and whatnot .. and comes out squelching and tousled (good word :D ) .. and bumps into Lizzy! ('and your parents are in good health .. and all your sisters?' :lol: ) Very remiss of Jane that! ;) 

When I saw the title, I immediately thought of Misha :wub::D And I know what you mean about wanting one... This book is totally going on my wishlist! (And coincidentally I've been thinking about re-reading DatP so that I could read the next book in the series. I've got the book borrowed from the library 'as we speak' :) )

I really want to read that next book too .. have been meaning to for ages (argh! .. why are there so many books? .. they keep coming up with new ones :lol: ) Think you will enjoy The Penguin Lessons  :smile: So sweet.

I also like the sound of Yuki Chan in Bronte Country by Mick Jackson , it's going on my wishlist! :)

Not so sure you'll like this :unsure: It's one of those ones that I like that are deeply gloomy among the laughs .. in fact there aren't many laughs  :blush2: She's an interesting character though .. unique and damaged etc. Quite feisty .. yes actually .. I think you might like her after all :lol: 

spill simmer falter wither by Sara Baume  ... I borrowed the book from the library a few months ago, and started it, but bloody hell, I struggled with the writing. Or rather the narrative. It was all you you you and I don't deal well with that kind of thing, which is a darn shame as I really wanted to like the book. I'm not saying the author isn't talented, because I liked the writing as such, the use of words and things like that, it was just the narrative. Yes, the narrative, not the writing. Oh dear.

Awww .. well, I'm not surprised. Even as I was reading it I was thinking .. some people are going to hate this  :D

I'm glad you liked The Lifeboat.  I've had it on my wish list for awhile now, but I hadn't heard from anyone about how it was. 

It's really good and very gripping. Some stories plod on and it takes all your willpower to read a page, others almost read themselves. This one is a page turner. No question. 

Lots of great reviews, Poppyshake. :) I'd been wanting to read The Bees, so I ordered it after reading your review, and it arrived today. :)

Oh .. that's brilliant Kylie  :smile: Hope you like it .. I'm confident you will .. especially as it'll get lost in your big library and you won't remember it was me who recommended  :lol: No, truly, I'm sure you will love it .. I hope you do anyway :hug: 

Just read your review of 'the Bees' not a book I have come across, but was drawn in by the title....since I have lots of buzzy bees in the garden just now... :giggle: 

I love buzzy bees :wub: It's a fascinating read because it does explore the hive life so well .. I'm convinced it's all totally true  :D 

• 1 month later...

The Old Wives' Tale - Arnold Bennett

Synopsis:
You might find it hard to imagine that those stout ageing spinsters living quietly in small English towns ever led lives of passion or hardship, that they ever possessed beauty or romantic ideals. In The Old Wives' Tale, Arnold Bennett tells the story of two such old wives, sisters Constance and Sophia, from youth, through marriage, heartbreak, triumphs and disasters, to old age. In doing so, he reveals with careful compassion the intense inner lives that throb beneath every seemingly insignificant exterior.

Review: I really, really, enjoyed this. It took me a while to get into it, the story goes into some detail at the beginning about the town, the people that inhabit it and its history etc before it really gets to grips with the lives of Constance and Sophia but once it got going I was hooked. It's quite a long book but, after the initial investment, never a trial .. though I heard it read on audio (just over 24 hours in length) which might have helped. It was read by the actor David Haig and he really is a sublime reader. I searched for other books narrated by him straight away afterwards but alas, this was the only one :(

I like that this story encompasses practically all of Constance and Sophia's lives .. that we follow them through to their twilight years. You can't help getting involved to the point where what happens to them matters to you. Sometimes the reader spends long periods of time with Constance and hears nothing or very little about Sophia and sometimes it's the reverse and I found my opinion of the two sisters kept changing the more the story continued and their circumstances changed. Fascinating.

The writing is gorgeous and the story affecting. Lots of twists and turns though it can't be called fast paced, the story is told gently and leisurely. I've never read anything from Arnold before .. I only knew of him through his omelette :lol: but I definitely want to read more .. I just hope they can get David Haig to narrate more. Loved it

Through the Woods - Emily Carroll

Synopsis:
 'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.' Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss. These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll. Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there... 

Review: Deliciously chilling  :hide: I don't often read graphic novels .. but when I see one as beautiful and strange as this one then I'm converted. I liked all the stories, though I think the first one was my favourite (and I LOVED the intro .. which is illustrated in the same style.) There are few words, the pictures say it all (sometimes you have to really think about it after the story has finished .. she doesn't spell it all out, she leaves it hanging like all good writers of the macabre .. and it's so artistically done .. every twist and turn of the story, every chill, expertly conveyed to the page with great sweeps of colour and bold graphics. 

It's only terrifying with a small T of course, I can't cope with anything seriously macabre .. it's more Angela Carter than anything. Plus, I suppose the fact that it is illustratively told makes it less frightening .. or does it? The images can imprint in your memory in a horribly penetrating way. Yes, actually, I think this is the sort of book that is liable to haunt you at night .. you'll struggle to fall asleep after closing the pages and then you'll jump awake when it inexplicably crashes to the floor at 3.10 am  :o:D  

I'll try and add some pics to give you an idea. Anyone who likes a slightly twisted story and loves graphic novels will love this (and it's a perfect gift for those people.) It's a beautiful, if disturbing, thing to behold. Perfect for dark winter nights.  :lurker: Loved it!  

post-5612-0-79164100-1472157926_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-98119500-1472157936_thumb.jpg

The Old Wives' Tale - Arnold Bennett

Loved it

I've had this lined up for a while to read, both as part of the counties challenge, and since I read Sathnam Sanghera's Marriage Material, which is apparently a 21st century retake of OWT. Claire gave OWT a really good review too, so doubly promising! Must read it soon now.

Edited by willoyd

Not that I want to make you all jealous or anything, but met up with lovely Claire and lovely Janet yesterday for coffee, cake, and booky chats.   :cows:  :cows:  :cows: What a pleasure! :wub: 

The pleasure was all mine. Looking forward to the next time.  :)  :D

Good to 'see' you Kay :)! Great reviews :cows:.

Thanks Gaia :) xx :cows: :cows: 

I've had this lined up for a while to read, both as part of the counties challenge, and since I read Sathnam Sanghera's Marriage Material, which is apparently a 21st century retake of OWT. Claire gave OWT a really good review too, so doubly promising! Must read it soon now.

I think you'll like it Will, hope you do anyway :) 

The pleasure was all mine. Looking forward to the next time.  :)  :D

Yes! :D Me too! xx 

Waterlog by Roger Deakin 

Synopsis:
Roger Deakin set out in 1996 to swim through the British Isles. The result a uniquely personal view of an island race and a people with a deep affinity for water. From the sea, from rock pools, from rivers and streams, tarns, lakes, lochs, ponds, lidos, swimming pools and spas, from fens, dykes, moats, aqueducts, waterfalls, flooded quarries, even canals, Deakin gains a fascinating perspective on modern Britain. Detained by water bailiffs in Winchester, intercepted in the Fowey estuary by coastguards, mistaken for a suicude on Camber sands, confronting the Corryvreckan whirlpool in the Hebrides, he discovers just how much of an outsider the native swimmer is to his landlocked, fully-dressed fellow citizens. Encompassing cultural history, autobiography, travel writing and natural history, Waterlog is a personal journey, a bold assertion of the native swimmer's right to roam, and an unforgettable celebration of the magic of water.

Review: I'm not a natural swimmer, I can barely put a few strokes together and wild swimming would be totally beyond me, but I would love to be the sort of person who could just dive into a river or lake and not mind about the wildlife and pond weed etc and so reading about it seemed a good alternative and I thoroughly enjoyed Roger's account.  Not everyone agrees with wild swimming, and so Roger is often interrupted and badgered .. you need quite a bit of bravado to tackle the humans that will undoubtedly start telling you that 'you can't do that here' .. let alone negotiate the currents and tides. He's a big fan of open air pools and all sorts of outdoor swimming so his swimming adventures are varied and  provide completely different experiences. He actually goes swimming in Cirencester's local open air pool which is something we've not managed to do yet :blush2: .. he'd be disappointed to learn that it's had a refurb since .. he preferred the original and simplistic approach (alas though, Roger died in 2006 :(

Along the way he talks to many people who remember wild swimming as it used to be in the good old days when rules and regs and health and safety hadn't taken over ... it seemed like quite a paradise then. An inspiring read. Liked it enormously! 

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell 

Synopsis:
'Reminded me not just what it's like to be young and in love, but what it's like to be young and in love with a book' John Green, author of The Fault in our Stars Eleanor is the new girl in town, and she's never felt more alone. All mismatched clothes, mad red hair and chaotic home life, she couldn't stick out more if she tried. Then she takes the seat on the bus next to Park. Quiet, careful and - in Eleanor's eyes - impossibly cool, Park's worked out that flying under the radar is the best way to get by. Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall in love. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're 16, and you have nothing and everything to lose. Set over the course of one school year in 1986, Eleanor & Park is funny, sad, shocking and true - an exquisite nostalgia trip for anyone who has never forgotten their first love.

Review: For the most part I enjoyed this YA story. Sometimes I think I'm just a little too old to fully appreciate stories about teenage love :blush2:
  .. I don't think I'm a cynical person but then I find I can't quite let myself go and believe in it totally. I look at it through the eyes of an adult sadly. I didn't feel that the transition between two people who can hardly bear to look at one another to two people amazingly attracted to each other was adequately explained. It was like a flicked switch to me and I couldn't quite fathom it but then, obviously, I know that such seismic shifts can occur in love. It's just that .. I probably don't do subtle! :D  :giggle:  I would have liked more development and perhaps a slower coming together.  :blush2: 

Totally readable though and I definitely got caught up in the story .. couldn't put it down really so can imagine that my teenage self would have been totally absorbed and would probably have identified with it in a million, zillion, ways. Really enjoyed all the family stuff .. heart wrenching and excellently told.  Liked it!   

The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag

Synopsis:
Distraught that her academic career has stalled, Alba is walking through her hometown of Cambridge, England, when she finds herself in front of a house she's never seen before, 11 Hope Street. A beautiful older woman named Peggy greets her and invites her to stay, on the house's usual conditions: she has ninety-nine nights to turn her life around. With nothing left to lose, Alba takes a chance and moves in.She soon discovers that this is no ordinary house. Past residents have included George Eliot and Beatrix Potter, who, after receiving the assistance they needed, hung around to help newcomers-literally, in talking portraits on the wall. As she escapes into this new world, Alba begins a journey that will heal her wounds-and maybe even save her life.Filled with a colorful and unforgettable cast of literary figures, The House at the End of Hope Street is a charming, whimsical novel of hope and feminine wisdom that is sure to appeal to fans of Jasper Fforde and especially Sarah Addison Allen.

Review: Enjoyable story, I liked its magical, mystical, feel .. you never quite know what's going to happen at 11 Hope Street so unexpectedness is expected at every page turn. I got really involved, so much so that the story made me cry at one point which is quite rare and a sign that the characters had got under my skin. I'm a firm believer that hot chocolate has healing powers so was always going to be in tune with a story that believes that baking has magical properties and where there's always a whiff of ginger nuts in the air.

I liked that past residents of the house were important female literary (or mostly literary anyway) figures (who appeared in portraits on walls .. giving out pearls of wisdom) .. apart from at the end when a few of them were given more dialogue and inevitably .. it didn't sound authentic  :blush2: If you don't mind a bit of whimsy then this story might be for you. A good book to take on holiday as it's pretty easy to read and nothing too distressing happens (although .. as I said .. I did cry :D

I agree with the blurb that it's quite like Sarah Addison Allen's stories or quite like The Girl Who Chased the Moon anyway. A feel good story with a sprinkle of magic dust and not too predictable or throwaway. Liked it!

The Versions Of Us by Laura Barnett

Synopsis:
What if you had said yes ...? Eva and Jim are nineteen, and students at Cambridge, when their paths first cross in 1958. Jim is walking along a lane when a woman approaching him on a bicycle swerves to avoid a dog. What happens next will determine the rest of their lives. We follow three different versions of their future - together, and apart - as their love story takes on different incarnations and twists and turns to the conclusion in the present day. The Versions of Us is an outstanding debut novel about the choices we make and the different paths that our lives might follow. What if one small decision could change the rest of your life?

Review: This seems to be a popular narrative device now .. different versions of the same lives .. but lives where the outcomes have changed because at some pivotal point .. a character has not agreed to a thing or said a thing or met a person or gone down a road. It's a very interesting concept but it also can be quite a confusing one. Here, I spent some time not quite knowing what version I was in (although it does tell you, helpfully, at the start of each chapter whether you're in version one, two or three .. I just couldn't remember which was which anyway  :blush2:
 ) In each version the children were different but I couldn't quite get them fixed in my head. Eventually I settled to it and then began to prefer one version to the others and started resenting the behaviour of some of the characters in the un-preferred versions and feeling that they wouldn't ever behave in that way .. or not wanting them to anyway :D  Again .. a good sign that the characters had come alive for me. 

Because of the format I didn't feel that it was a very relaxing read .. mentally you had to be on your toes (or mentally I had to be on mine .. I won't presume to sink you to my level :lol: ) It'd be a good book to read in one or two sittings because any time spent away from the story is only going to add to the confusion (which of course .. is what I did :D.) Very fascinating though and very poignant. The two central characters .. Eva and Jim .. are interesting enough to make you want to know how each version turns out for them. Liked it!

• 3 weeks later...

Wake Up Sir by Jonathan Ames

Synopsis:
Alan Blair, the hero of Wake Up, Sir!, is a young, loony writer with numerous problems of the mental, emotional, sexual, spiritual, and physical variety. He's very good at problems. But luckily for Alan, he has a personal valet named Jeeves, who does his best to sort things out for his troubled master. And Alan does find trouble wherever he goes. He embarks on a perilous and bizarre road journey, his destination being an artists colony in Saratoga Springs. There Alan encounters a gorgeous femme fatale who is in possession of the most spectacular nose in the history of noses. Such a nose can only lead to a wild disaster for someone like Alan, and Jeeves tries to help him, but... Well, read the book and find out.

Review: This one promises much but doesn't really deliver. Alan's valet, Jeeves .. is only Jeeves in name only. He does all the 'yes, sir's .. 'I really couldn't say sir's etc etc and can run a decent bath and make a good breakfast but he's not particularly clever, he's not a solver of catastrophes and .. well .. he's just not Jeeves! :D Alan isn't Bertie either .. he is hapless but not quite in the lovably, good natured, way that Bertie is. He's just an idiot really (or acts idiotically which is more to the point.) Of course, this isn't supposed to have any ties to the Jeeves and Wooster books .. apart from the mention of the characters (Alan's a fan .. so he likes to use some Woosterisms and he's tickled pink to have a valet called Jeeves) but it's what you expect from the title and the cover.

All that said, I did find it to be very readable and did laugh at some of Alan's extraordinary exploits. He frustrated me hugely but then I think he was supposed to. I wanted to slap him across the face with a wet fish .. almost at every page turn :lol: He is supposed to be writing a book but his love of the bottle and the ladies seriously ruin all his good intentions. He ends up at an artist's colony where he meets some like minded people but instead of it being a place of retreat and encouragement .. it turns out to be a madhouse full of eccentrics and he's led into further troubled waters. 
I enjoyed it, sort of, it's quite slapstick and genuinely funny in places but I found it hard to like Alan or warm to the cardboard cutout, Jeeves. He just wasn't Jeevesey enough :lol:Liked it! 

Something Nasty in the Woodshed - Kyril Bonfiglioli

Synopsis:
Something Nasty in the Woodshed - the third Charlie Mortdecai novel. "Splendidly enjoyable. The jokes are excellent, but the most horrible things keep happening". (Sunday Telegraph). 'Spring was infesting the air in no uncertain fashion and I awoke, for once, with a feeling of well-being and an urge to go for long country walks.' Charlie Mortdecai - minor aristocrat and art-dealer banished from London for crimes against, well, art - has decamped to the tiny island of Jersey with his wife Johanna and manservant Jock. There, amidst tax dodgers and inbred natives, he had hoped to lie low, and sink lower. But when a friend's wife is attacked, Charlie is forced to turn sleuth to discover the perpetrator. As further attacks occur, of an increasingly Satanic nature, Charlie finds he is desperate to solve the crimes before things turn truly Hellish.

Review: Another book with a Jeeves and Wooster flavour (again .. Charlie is an admirer of the books.) This is the third and I think last of the Mortdecai books or at least this is the last in the trilogy. I think there are others that are connected but which don't follow on. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the last two. Written back in the 1970s the books are not what you might call PC :lol: ... you can't help but cringe at some of the things said and done. He'd never get away with it nowadays (good job too) but again, there are hugely enjoyable bits and clever dialogue. This one just fell a bit flat and was uncomfortable to read in places. Not sure I would carry on with the series even if there were more although they can be very witty and entertaining. Liked it (in parts!)

The great joy of these books are the covers .. makes me happy just looking at them :) 

post-5612-0-82260100-1474218498.jpg

post-5612-0-47230500-1474218511.jpg

post-5612-0-02960400-1474218667.jpg