Pets - 2016

frankie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi frankie, my guys are great, thanks for asking. Obi is full of life and make to the walks he was doing 6 months ago, I'm so happy he got over that scare, long may this last! Jojo is as full of beans as ever, back to agility this week which I always hope will tire her out a bit, but never really does!

Boris and Pamuk, our dogs, are doing well. They had a difficult time on New Year's Eve, with all the fireworks going on in the area. They like to spend a lot of time outside (in the garden) with this weather. Pamuk spends some time sitting and lying outside, guarding everything. It's cute. Boris spends some of his time with us in the bakery and some time outside. My parents were home for Christmas, so then he spent more time with them in the main house, but now that they are back to work, he's back with us again most of the time. The past while Boris has also taught himself how to open up the bakery door, so every time we leave the bakery for longer than a couple of minutes, we better take him with us or he'll open the door after we've left and it'll be cold inside when we get back. I find it pretty amazing how he does these things.

Our goats are okay, William has trouble walking much but the vet has said he doesn't know either. So we try to make him comfortable. Lise is okay. The chicken are all allright too, the fox or something else, got two a while ago but gladly since we haven't lost any *fingers crossed it will stay that way for some time*. One of the little brown ones, she has figured out how to escape into the garden from their chicken area and happily walks around. She is tamer now and usually in the afternoon or evening, we let her back in and she knows we're there to do that. One time she got a bit too far and was confused how to get back, accidentally ending up in another chicken area. She spent a few nights there but they didn't like her (generally if you want chicken to get along when they don't know each other or they need to learn where their (new) night area is, they need to spend 7 nights locked inside in their night area). So after a few days I carried her while she was sleeping at night, back into her own area and she loved being back there.

Hey Frankie! Winston is doing well. He gave me some sweet cuddles and a kitty "massage" a little bit ago. I got a video of him "massaging" my arm that I'll probably upload to Instagram later.  

Ooooh I love kitty massages! Not that I've ever had them, unfortunately, but I've seen them on videos and it looks so cute :wub: (Not that cats hate me... :lol:  It's just that I'm too allergic to be able to spend enough time with any cat for them to get comfortable enough to run their massage parlour.) 

Hi frankie, my guys are great, thanks for asking. Obi is full of life and make to the walks he was doing 6 months ago, I'm so happy he got over that scare, long may this last! Jojo is as full of beans as ever, back to agility this week which I always hope will tire her out a bit, but never really does!

NYE is so difficult for some dogs   :empathy:  Do you have any other festivities in the Netherlands with fireworks? I hope it's just the NYE. Boris is so clever with the doors :D But he ought to learn how to close them afterwards :D

Let's hope the foxes stay away from the chicken this year and forever! I liked hearing about that one particular chicken's adventures :D

Gladly we don't have any other festivities with fireworks, it's just NYE :). Haha :D. Thanks :).

I've never heard of this Lagotto Romagnolo breed of dog so I had to Wiki!  I'm sure I've seen one around and just wasn't sure what type of dog it was, but they are beautiful and sound like a lot of fun!

Emma and Odin are doing well.  I believe Emma (our Beagle) will be 8 this summer and Odin turns 2 in March (he's an orange tabby).  I'm convinced now that Odin won't grow out of his 'I love following you around and sleeping next to you but don't even try and pick me up for an extended cuddle because I will run the other way' phase :lol:  I'm a big fan of cuddles and cats in laps and he's the opposite, which is unlike any cat I've ever had.  He's also a fan of play biting, and will do so to wake me up some mornings.  This is probably why Emma doesn't get too close to him since he likes jumping on top of her and biting her ears a little :lol:

I love Boris and Odin and all of your guys' pets! :D 

Winny has decided any time I MOVE in the middle of the night means "Treat Wench is up, SHE MUST PET ME NAO! And, if she refuses, I SHALL MEOW AT HER UNTIL SHE CALLS ME A NAUGHTY WORD AND THROWS MY MOUSIE!" 

I've been up since 12:30am. Not. Kidding. He woke me and I just couldn't get back to sleep.

I've got two cats (pictured in my avatar) called Mario & Clara and recently, in October, a 2 year old staffy called Jessie who we got from the RSPCA. We had no plans to get a dog, but saw her on a random visit and really liked her temperament. We thought what with me being on maternity leave, it's either the best time or the worst time to get a dog but we went with it and she's fitted in nicely. We're still working on the cat/dog integration though!

Routine went a bit out of the window over the Xmas break and she's a total fair-weather dog - doesn't like walking in cold, rain, wind or dark, which is problematic when I don't manage to have time to take her out in the afternoon, like the last 2 days. She just digs her heels in, sits down and won't move. She's so stubborn.

Today I had to take Mario (the tabby) to the vets as he seemed to be under the weather. He'd stopped going outside and thus was going to the loo in the house rather than using the cat flap (& we have no litter tray) then he made a strange pained noise and hissed when I picked him up. He's not a hisser so we knew something was up. Anyway, the vet found a largish puncture wound in his side, poor thing. He's dosed up on antibiotics and painkillers and I have to take him back on Friday to see if they need to put him under anaesthetic to cut some of the bad skin off. She didn't think he was up to an op today otherwise she would have already done it.

Not sure what the cause could have been. I asked if it could have been a cat bite as there are a few bully cats around and she said it's in an odd place for a cat bite but it could be that. For all we know, he may have fallen on something, or injured himself trying to escape from somewhere. He did disappear for over a day earlier in the week and when he came back he didn't seem his usual self so that's probably when it happened, whatever 'it' was.

• 2 months later...

I hope Mario feels better soon too, poor thing! 

I actually wondered if anyone could give me some cat-related advice. I've never had a cat but this week I've been helping my friend with their cat, who had a bad tooth (she couldn't close her mouth properly on Sunday and was sitting with her tongue out all day!) It's been a really hectic week getting vet checks, trying to get the money together for treatment and then she had to go and get put under anaesthetic to have the tooth removed (she's 12, so I think everyone was a bit worried she wouldn't deal well with it) but she's had it done now, she's home with antibiotics and seems back to her normal self!

But now there's another problem. She has to go back for two check ups and she has become terrified of going in the travel box since the tooth removal. I've had to put her in it twice this week, once to find the problem, once for the operation (my friend was so upset she didn't even want to be in the house when I took her to the vet either time- she's really close to the cat and was convinced she would end up being put down - which is how I ended up saying I would sort everything out). I was meant to take her again this morning but when I came in the room with the travel box she looked petrified and ran before I was anywhere near her. In the end I called the vet and asked if it was really necessary to have another trip so close to the treatment, as she was so distressed. They said I could bring her on Monday afternoon instead. I'm actually dreading having to get her in the box again on Monday. The last time I draped a towel over her and scooped her up inside the towel before placing her into the box (because the first time she put her legs either side of the box so I couldn't get her in!) but I don't know if that will work again, not if she keeps running away from me now (the thought that she is now scared of me also makes me feel terrible!)

If anyone has any tips at all I'd be really grateful. I've tried leaving the box in the room with her to see if she'll get used to it but she just acted very anxious and wouldn't stay still at all while it was there.  

Unfortunately she has associated the cat box with the unpleasantries of the vets. You could try putting her food in there or some nice nibbles, tuna maybe, but being a cat she may just refuse to eat! Really, you would need to take your time over this, maybe weeks to get her confident again but it would probably only take one trip to the vets to ruin it all.

We had a cat who wasn't keen so I used to only bring the box in at the last moment and move quick!

Your only other alternative is to ask for a home visit but aside from being expensive you could make the cat nervous in her own environment.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

It's a pretty common problem. Cats just don't like being put in their carriers! Don't worry about them too much though. It's for their own good, after all.

My Jasper used to go and hide under the bed when it was vet time. To overcome that problem, I started shutting the doors to the bedrooms to limit the number of places he could hide. Now I place the carrier in the house the day before and just leave it sitting there with the door open. He gets used to it being there and just walks past it. Then when the time comes for us to leave, I usually head towards the kitchen (because I know he'll follow me there), and I scoop him up and head straight to the waiting carrier. You have to try and get them in quick, though, because they'll still fight you on it. Hold tight! If they escape, they'll then be on their guard and make it much more difficult for you.

So basically, put the carrier in the room the day before it's needed so you can catch her off guard. ;)

Thank you chaliepud and Kylie, I successfully got her in the box today and I even think she's forgiven me for it!  :D  

Frankie I'm really sorry to hear that :( but you aren't allergic to all dogs are you? My sister is allergic to some animals (I think it's short haired animals) and that affects her breathing, I know that's horrible for her, she loves animals too. 

Hayley, I've also seen people "disguise" the travel crate by putting a blanket over top of it. That way its sort of out of sight until you have the cat picked up, then you just lift the blanket and put them in. It also helps to keep the blanket on until you're at the destination.

Frankie, I'm so sorry :( That really sucks! I know how much you adore dogs. :(

Oh Sari, what a shame! It could well be the type of dog though as you've not had problems with all dogs? What breeds were they? Sorry if it sounds obvious but do you take an anti-histamine (allergy pill) before you go? There are many breeds that don't shed/moult so you would be better with these. A friend of mine has 3 Lagotto's and is a dog walker and trainer and just has to be very careful with touching and washing and not having shedding breeds in her home. How cruel for a dog lover to be allergic to dogs, it shouldn't be allowed!  :banghead:

Frankie, I'm so sorry :( That really sucks! I know how much you adore dogs. :(

Thanks for the sympathy!   :flowers2:   It really sucks ass :(

Frankie I'm really sorry to hear that :( but you aren't allergic to all dogs are you? My sister is allergic to some animals (I think it's short haired animals) and that affects her breathing, I know that's horrible for her, she loves animals too.

Oh Sari, what a shame! It could well be the type of dog though as you've not had problems with all dogs? What breeds were they? Sorry if it sounds obvious but do you take an anti-histamine (allergy pill) before you go? There are many breeds that don't shed/moult so you would be better with these. A friend of mine has 3 Lagotto's and is a dog walker and trainer and just has to be very careful with touching and washing and not having shedding breeds in her home. How cruel for a dog lover to be allergic to dogs, it shouldn't be allowed!  :banghead:

I'm allergic to dogs in general, and have never been able to spend any longer periods of time with them without getting symptoms, but these two were the only ones that never gave me any trouble before and these are the dogs I've been doggysitting in the past. One's a Chihuahua and the other one's a Jack Russell Terrier. I've been fine with them before! I think it's the fact that it's spring and allergy time, and I had not taken any allergy pills because I was in the middle of having my meds re-newed and so had none on me at the time. In addition, it's been really dusty outside what with the snow melting and the roads/streets being full of gravel, because they've not been able to clean the streets yet, because of low temperatures at night. The air in Helsinki is just worse than in Joensuu. :( With all that and the dogs, it was too much for me. :( The dogs don't shed much at all but my lungs weren't having any of it :(

I've always been careful to wash my hands after giving them food and after petting them and before I've done any cooking/eating and stuff. But it was of no use this time. 

Edit: I was staying with the dogs at their home from Monday till Friday morning, so I was in full contact with them and their surroundings. Had it just been me walking a dog, I would've been fine. 

It's just something that probably can't be helped :(  It's something I have to come to terms with :(

Edited by frankie

• 2 months later...

I'm allergic to cats too. I'm sorry you are too, though I'm glad you can at least tolerate your own. I try to avoid being near any cats.

I will post a puppy picture in a few days, of my aunt's new puppy.

It is Jojo's 3rd birthday today! Hopefully she'll start calming down soon! ;)

Happy birthday to Jojo!! :D

We visited my aunt and uncle and met their new puppy, Ubbe. He's a 'schapendoes' / Dutch sheep dog. He's so cute!! He's currently 8 weeks old if I'm not mistaken. My aunt has been visiting him every week since he was born. The house he comes from (with the mother dog) is nearby where my aunt lives, so she visited every weekend. He seems quite used in his new place already. They've had him for a week now. He was so sweet, and he loved seeing all of us (we were new people to him). Some photos of him:

Ubbe1.jpg

Ubbe2.jpg

Ubbe3.jpg

Ubbe4.jpg

Ubbe5.jpg

Ubbe6.jpg

Ubbe7.jpg

Ubbe8.jpg

Ubbe9.jpg

Ubbe10.jpg

Ubbe11.jpg

Ubbe12.jpg