Pets - 2016

frankie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That first one makes me think of Luka puppy . He's adorable :)

Welcome to BCF Ubbe!

Thanks, I think so too :)

Awwww what a cute puppy! :wub: Seems like a happy-go-lucky puppy :smile2:

He does seem to be that way :)!

I think he found a good home :)

I think so too :). My aunt used to have three dogs when she was younger (first one, then two, then three. The third was also a schapendoes). Then, after the last one passed away, she didn't get a new dog for a long time, because my uncle wasn't keen. I'm really happy for her he's finally conceded, she is enjoying so much having a new dog :) (and he is too). They can't have children, so dogs are the next best thing I guess. My aunt's always been really fond of her dogs :).

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, we have several chicken sitting on nests, so hopefully we'll have little chicken soon! I'm excited.

Edited by Athena

Ubbe is so cute!! I've never heard of schapendoes but now I want one  :giggle2:  

We've had really warm weather here for the last couple of days and Oscar isn't impressed. We've had his fur cut short for the summer but he's spending most of his time sprawled out across the kitchen tiles where its cool. My sister went on holiday with her dog recently and found a sea-side ice cream shop that sold dog ice cream, I think he needs some of that! 

Ah bless, Ubbe (does the name mean anything in Dutch?) is so sweet! I've not heard of the Schapendoe before, I think the closest breeds to it that I know are the Bearded Collie and the Pyrenean Sheepdog, the Schapendoe looks closer in side to the latter though, and to my Cattle Dogs. I hope he has a wonderful, charmed life! :)

EDIT: And thank you everyone for Jojo's birthday wishes, she had a lovely day, she seemed to know and be happy that she was the centre of attention! She got a couple of new toys including a cuddly cow which she has been trying hard to dismember ever since! :D

Edited by chaliepud

Ah bless, Ubbe (does the name mean anything in Dutch?) is so sweet! I've not heard of the Schapendoe before, I think the closest breeds to it that I know are the Bearded Collie and the Pyrenean Sheepdog, the Schapendoe looks closer in side to the latter though, and to my Cattle Dogs.

She Googled him for me, and they are also known as Dutch Sheepdogs, so I guess they just speak Dutch :P

Virginia, we have two of those! Face stripe and all. I just couldn't tell which color yours is? Rio is short, blue and a good 70 pounds. Buddy is black and HUGE, about 95 pounds! We call him a horse :D

Edit- they both have "socks" :P

Edited by Anna Begins

LOL! We call ours a horse or a mini cow. Kizzy is black and white. She even has a little black heart on her left forearm. I thought our's was huge!!! Your pets might need to bring in some income to feed themselves, lol!!

Edited by Virginia

Ubbe is so cute!! I've never heard of schapendoes but now I want one  :giggle2:  

We've had really warm weather here for the last couple of days and Oscar isn't impressed. We've had his fur cut short for the summer but he's spending most of his time sprawled out across the kitchen tiles where its cool. My sister went on holiday with her dog recently and found a sea-side ice cream shop that sold dog ice cream, I think he needs some of that!

Dog ice cream! Wow I've never heard of that. 

Ah bless, Ubbe (does the name mean anything in Dutch?) is so sweet! I've not heard of the Schapendoe before, I think the closest breeds to it that I know are the Bearded Collie and the Pyrenean Sheepdog, the Schapendoe looks closer in side to the latter though, and to my Cattle Dogs. I hope he has a wonderful, charmed life! :)

EDIT: And thank you everyone for Jojo's birthday wishes, she had a lovely day, she seemed to know and be happy that she was the centre of attention! She got a couple of new toys including a cuddly cow which she has been trying hard to dismember ever since! :D

As far as I know, Ubbe doesn't really mean anything in Dutch. But all the dogs in his lineage had to have names starting with a 'U'. In Dutch there aren't many names starting a 'U' (I don't think in English, either), so I think the woman who owns the mother, made up this name. His sister is called Umea (the woman named them both). Thanks :)!

EDIT: I just looked it up: Ubbe does mean something in the Nordic language, apparently:

Ubba, also known as Hubba, Ubbe, and Ubbi, was a mid-ninth-century Viking chieftain and one of the commanders of the Great Army, a coalition of Norse warriors that in AD 865 invaded the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia and Wessex.

according to Google. But since that's rather obscure I think the woman named him Ubbe because it just sounded nice (and, there aren't lots of names with a 'U' so).

I'm glad Jojo had a lovely day :).

Meet Kizzy. She's my 76.5lb pittbull mix. She's our girl.

She looks like a great dog :).

Athena, Ubbe is precious, like a little stuffed puppy! I'm so used to having a humongous critter that I wouldn't know what to do with something so tiny.

Boarding is what we call it when our animals stay overnight in a kennel.

:D Awwwww! Good old Jojo :D

Makes me think of this... For the opposite reaction: 

post-4458-0-16627400-1465320215_thumb.jpg

Meet Kizzy. She's my 76.5lb pittbull mix. She's our girl. 

Awww, she's so cute! How old is she? :smile2: 

Ah he's adorable, will he get very large?

If you mena Ubbe, he won't get that large. That said, my definition of 'large' is Boris (our dog), so :lol: compared to him most dogs are a lot smaller. But judging by the size of my aunt's previous dog, who was also a schapendoes, he'll be smaller than Pamuk (our other dog). So, I guess, medium size or just under? I'm not sure how to describe it heh. I'll post a photo of him when he's an adult, with myself next to him, maybe then we'll know for sure :P.

Athena, Ubbe is precious, like a little stuffed puppy! I'm so used to having a humongous critter that I wouldn't know what to do with something so tiny.

Boarding is what we call it when our animals stay overnight in a kennel.

Thanks, Virginia :).

Ah, that makes sense.

Makes me think of this... For the opposite reaction: 

attachicon.gif13393970_1093626007365009_3505317028167182456_n.jpg

Haha :giggle2:.

We have little chicken :exc: :exc:!!!!

I don't know how many yet, they're hiding underneath the mother and more eggs might still hatch. But I've seen 3, with a possible 2+ more based on the bulges in the mother's feathers. I'll be sure to post more photos when I have them, but in the first few days the little ones stay under their mother quite a lot, so it's hard to take a good photo. I don't want to disturb them too much at the moment, but I will post more photos at a later time.

Kuikens.jpg

Thanks, Hayley :)!

We moved the mother to a seperate area. There were 7 little chicken: 4 brown ones and 3 black-and-white ones. We also put the eggs underneath the mother, we can hope more of them hatch. But 7 is great already :). I wasn't able to take any good pictures though as they hid under the mother quickly. In a couple of days they'll become more adventurous and I should be able to take a photo then. The 2 adult brown chicken are still on their nest together, those eggs should hopefully hatch in a few days.

We have 9 little ones! (Not 7). There are 4 black-and-white ones and 5 brown ones :D.

Kuikens1.jpg

Kuikens2.jpg

Kuikens3.jpg

Kuikens4.jpg

The two brown mothers are still on their nest, it's a few more days for them until the eggs hatch I think.

9 :o ! And they're so cute! Like little balls of fluff with beaks  :D

Are you planning to keep them all or will you sell some when they get bigger?

How many we keep, usually depends on how many little ones there are, their genders and how many 'adult' chicken we have left (predators :( ). Fingers crossed the predators will stay gone for quite some time now. Sometimes we build a new area for them. You can't keep too many cockrels in one pen if there's not enough hens, so we're hoping for lots of hens. We generally keep all the hens if possible, but if there are lots more cockrels than hens, we give them away rather than sell them.