Ian's reading log 2016

ian

And then there were none by Agatha Cristie

First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion. (taken from Goodreads)

My thoughts

I think to the best of my knowledge, I've only ever read one other Christie before this, and to be honest I couldn't tell you which one that was. The BBC did an adaptation of this last winter. I enjoyed that, so I decided to read the book. The slight problem with that is I already knew who did it.

Having said that, knowing the who meant I could relax and just enjoy the story, and try to see  if anything gives thae game away. It doesn't! It's well written, and a complex plot certainly has all the questions answered and the loose ends tied up. Negatives - it's a very short book, so anything not essential to the plot is discarded; the conversations between the characters seem, at least to me, very old-fashioned (not surprising, given it was written in 1939) and very British "stiff-upper lip".  3/5

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K Dick.

Substance D is not known as Death for nothing. It is the most toxic drug ever to find its way on to the streets of LA. It destroys the links between the brain's two hemispheres, causing, first, disorientation and then complete and irreversible brain damage.

The undercover narcotics agent who calls himself Bob Arctor is desperate to discover the ultimate source of supply. But to find any kind of lead he has to pose as a user and, inevitably, without realising what is happening, Arctor is soon as addicted as the junkies he works among... (taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I think I've said before, this is a re-read for me, and not one I was particularly looking forward to - it was probably my least favourite of his books that I've read. 

Well, I don't know if it's because I'm older, have more understanding of what the book is about, or I'm just more widely read now, but I did enjoy this.  This is never going to be my favourite, but as a story, it has a strong anti-drugs message taken from personal experience. Of course, there is a sci-fi (ish) slant on it, but essentially, it is rooted deeply in sixties counter-culture. It also has a good slab of dark humour, that completely passed me by the first time I read this. I would have given this 2/5 then. 3/5 now.

The Secret Speech - Tom Rob Smith

The Soviet Union 1956: after Stalin's death, a violent regime is beginning to fracture. It leaves behind a society where the police are the criminals, and the criminals are innocent. Stalin's successor Khrushchev pledges reform. But there are forces at work that are unable to forgive or forget the past.

Leo Demidov, former MGB officer, is facing his own turmoil. The two young girls he and his wife Raisa adopted have yet to forgive him for his part in the brutal murder of their parents. They are not alone. Leo, Raisa and their family are in grave danger from someone with a grudge against Leo. Someone transformed beyond recognition into the perfect model of vengeance. Leo's desperate, personal mission to save his family will take him from the harsh Siberian Gulags, to the depths of the criminal underworld, to the centre of the Hungarian uprising—and into a hell where redemption is as brittle as glass.

My Thoughts

I had to take a couple of days before I wrote this, as I couldn't quite pin this book down. Firstly, I have to say that I did really enjoy the book. I liked the story and the way it weaves real life events (Khrushchev's speech, the 1956 Hungarian uprising) and a fictional plot. The plot is crisp without losing any detail. But once I'd finished it, something nagged at me - I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. Eventually, I worked it out - in the first book, the two main characters, Leo & Raisa, go through a tremendous character arc (which I won't spoil here). Obviously, it would stretch the bounds of credibility to expect the same level of arc in this second book, but that's what I felt I was missing subconsciously. Once I realised that, the rest clicked into place for me.  So, I have no reservations in recommending this book and I can't wait to read the final book of the trilogy. 4/5. 

Well, I took "Secret Speech" back to the library today....and they had the third book (Agent 6) so I got that out. I shall be reading that next.

The Siren by Alison Bruce

All it took was one small item on the regional news for Kimberly Guyver and Rachel Golinski to know that their old life was catching up with them. They wondered how they'd been naive enough to htink it wouldn't. They hoped they still had a chance to leave it behind—just one more time—but within hours, Rachel's home is burning and Kimberly's young son, Riley, is missing.

DC Gary Goodhew begins to sift through their lives, and starts to uncover an unsettling picture of deceit, murder and accelerating danger. Kimberly seems distraught but also defensive and uncooperative. Is it fear and mistrust of the police that are putting her son at risk, or darker motivations?

With Riley's life in peril, Goodhew needs Kimberly to make choices, but she has to understand that the one thing she cannot afford is another mistake.

My Thoughts

Not the best police procedural that I've read this year, but it's a new writer and only the second book, and while at times I did find it a little slow, there were enough touches to keep me interested. If  the writing is tightened up a little, this could be a very good series of books. So, while I won't be deliberately searching out the other books quite yet, It will be on a list of "one's to watch". 3/5

I've read the first book and quite enjoyed it - I admit it's a fairly straightforward police procedural, but it looks like being a promising series and I have the next ones in the series.  I like the setting as well, as I've been to Cambridge a few times.

Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith

How far would you go to solve a crime against your family?

It is 1965. Leo Demidov, a former secret police agent, is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters from Moscow to New York. They are part of a "Peace Tour," meant to foster closer relations between the two Cold War enemies. On the tour, Leo's family is caught up in a conspiracy and betrayal that ends in tragedy. In the horrible aftermath, Leo demands one thing: that he be allowed to investigate and find the attacker that struck at the heart of his family on foreign soil. From the highest levels of the Soviet government, he is told No, that is impossible. Leo is haunted by the question: what happened in New York? 

In a surprising, epic story that spans decades and continents—from 1950s Moscow to 1960s America to the Soviet war in Afghanistan in the 1980s—Leo's long pursuit of justice will force him to confront everything he ever thought he knew about his country, his family, and himself. (taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I have to admit, I was left a little disappointed by this book. The first book in the series is outstanding; probably one of the best books I've read this year. The second, The Secret Speech, while not as good, certainly is a page-turner, so I was looking forward to this final book.  I found that the storyline meanders in the first half of the book. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very good thriller, but the focus is on characters I wasn't quite so interested in. I wanted it to be about Leo and Raisa. 

For me, this book would have worked better if it had been a stand-alone book with different protagonists rather than the end of a series like this.  3/5 

Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo

When the Norwegian ambassador to Thailand is found dead in a Bangkok brothel, Inspector Harry Hole is dispatched from Oslo to help hush up the case.

But once he arrives Harry discovers that this case is about much more than one random murder. There is something else, something more pervasive, scrabbling around behind the scenes. Or, put another way, for every cockroach you see in your hotel room, there are hundreds behind the walls. Surrounded by round-the-clock traffic noise, Harry wanders the streets of Bangkok lined with go-go bars, temples, opium dens, and tourist traps, trying to piece together the story of the ambassador’s death even though no one asked him to, and no one wants him to—not even Harry himself. (taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

Somehow, I seem to be managing to read this series almost in reverse. Fortunately, while there are some parts that really need to be read in order, the series doesn't fall apart if you don't. I have enjoyed the former (later!) books, but I think this is my favourite. I really felt that I was in Bangkok - humid, noisy, sometimes seedy. And while some of the twists in the plot were easy to fathom beforehand, I didn't get all of them, and overall, it didn't matter.  4/5

I've also started reading the Harry Hole books, in no particular order, partly because they've been issued in the UK out of order ie the early ones have only been published here in the last couple of years or so.  I must admit I didn't fancy Cockroaches (not the most inspiring title) but it sounds quite good, a change from freezing Oslo!  I think the translations are pretty good too.

I'm glad you enjoyed this book :). I've yet to read any of the Harry Hole books, I will someday though.

I've also started reading the Harry Hole books, in no particular order, partly because they've been issued in the UK out of order ie the early ones have only been published here in the last couple of years or so.  I must admit I didn't fancy Cockroaches (not the most inspiring title) but it sounds quite good, a change from freezing Oslo!  I think the translations are pretty good too.

I would definitely recommend the whole series, and this one in particular. As you say, not the most inspiring title, and its relevance to the plot is tenuous at best, but it is worth the effort. At some point I will get the first book, which has finally been translated into English.

I would definitely recommend the whole series, and this one in particular. As you say, not the most inspiring title, and its relevance to the plot is tenuous at best, but it is worth the effort. At some point I will get the first book, which has finally been translated into English.

That's good to hear :). I hope you enjoy the first book :).

So, it's autumn, which for me is always an exciting time for reading. In my mind, longer, colder nights means sat inside listening to the wind and rain outside while feet up with a good book. It also feels like a good time to start reading heavier, denser books. I usually get an urge to start reading Victorian, Gothic fiction. 

Of course, chance would be a fine thing - I probably read more in the summer, when I have a chance to sit in the garden and get some peace and quiet. In the house with the TV permanently blaring, phones, laptops and tablets squawking away, two teenagers (well one teenager and another in training) and three cats? No chance!

Still, looking back at the year so far, I pleased with what I've read. I see at the start of the year I said that I would let books lead me to other books - words to that effect anyway. What I should have done was make a list as I went along. I seemed to have read a lot that either directly referenced other books; the protagonist was reading it, or was mentioned by the author in the sleeve notes. Still, I remember a series and another book, so I'll list those now. Writing them here will stop me forgetting later.

So, I read Insomnia by Stephen King earlier this year. This book reminded me that I call myself a King fan, but... I've never read any of the The Dark  Tower books. I need to put this right.

The other book is Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood". I forget which, but two books I've read this year referenced this, so I will try to get to this also in what's left of the year. 

The Life of Lee - by Lee Evans

Lee Evans is one of the best-loved comedians in the country; a Hollywood star able to sell out arenas in the blink of eye. But he was not always such a roaring success. 'The Life of Lee' is an utterly hilarious and very moving autobiography charting his ups and downs on the way to the top.

My thoughts

Not my usual read, but I found this in the coffee room at work. What is about comedians and their miserable upbringings? The book tells of Lee's early life in Bristol growing up, getting into trouble and travelling around with his family. It leads right up to his first gig, and ends there rather abruptly - I was definitely left wanting more. 3/5

Private Peaceful by Michael Murpurgo.

From the Children's Laureate of England, a stunning novel of the First World War, a boy who is on its front lines, and a childhood remembered.

"They've gone now, and I'm alone at last. I have the whole night ahead of me, and I won't waste a single moment of it . . . I want tonight to be long, as long as my life . . ." For young Private Peaceful, looking back over his childhood while he is on night watch in the battlefields of the First World War, his memories are full of family life deep in the countryside: his mother, Charlie, Big Joe, and Molly -- the love of his life. Too young to be enlisted, Thomas has followed his brother to war and now, every moment he spends thinking about his life, means another moment closer to danger.

My thoughts

I read this purely by chance. When I picked my next book from the book jar, it was one I had on my Kindle, but as I hadn't used that for a while, it needed charging. Saturday morning and allowed a lie-in for once, I didn't want to waste it, so I picked this up - a book my daughter had picked up from a charity shop.

Don't be fooled, as I was, that because this is a children's book, that this is a light, easy, insubstantial read.  The writing took me instantly back to days spent in the countryside as a boy. Rarely have I read a book that so simply and effectively lays out the utter horror and madness that world war 1 was. Be warned, the ending is heart-breaking, and had me in tears. 5/5

Nice review, it must have been an impressive book :)! I've only read Clare and her Captain by Michael Morpurgo. I'm glad Private Peaceful was so good :).

Morpurgo is a phenomenal writer. The Butterfly Lion is a wonderful read, which I enjoyed as much as an adult as I did when I first when it as a kid.

This was the first Morpurgo I've read, so I've got a lot of catching up to do! 

I also feel I should point out something on my review - I said that the descriptions of growing up in the countryside took me back to days in the country as a boy. 

While I'm not really bothered how old I am - I must point out that I didn't grow in prior to WW1! I just meant that the language he used took me back to my own childhood (in the 1970's!) I'm sure you all realised that, (as it would make me over 100) but I really wanted to point that out! Sorry!  Powerful stuff if a description of 1910's Devon/Dorset resonated with this city boy from 60 years later.