pontalba's 2016 reading list

pontalba

The City on the Edge of Forever by Harlan Ellison 3/5

It's difficult to rate this, as the actual story is well done, but the prologue/intro by the author is one long rant. A repetitive rant at that.

The City On The Edge of Forever is the classic of classic (original) Star Trek episodes. While Ellison's treatment is excellent, I can understand why Roddenberry felt it necessary to bend the story to the actual characters. Hence his drastic changing of the story. However Ellison's bitterness is more due, I think, to Roddenberry's continuous lying about the reasons he changed the storyline. I cannot and will not blame Ellison for his anger at that deed. Unfortunately, IMO, Ellison tarnishes himself more than Roddenberry in this public display of bitter animosity. He even goes so far as to somewhat belittle those that prefer the final telecast. Which, as I am a fan of The original Star Trek, I feel is far more in line with the characters and overarching storyline.

The story/treatment is fairly straightforward, time travel, a love that cannot exist, the choices we make and their fallout. I'd recommend both the treatment and the final televised version. Decide for yourself.

Shaker by Scott Frank 2/5

Just can't bring myself to bother to finish, I don't care a fig about any of the characters or what has happened or might happen to them.  I did manage a little more than half.

While the authors descriptions are most vivid, it is too choppy. His screenwriters experience definitely shows, not to his credit.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loved that trilogy, pontalba, hope you like the other books.

Thanks.  :)  I know I will...only read the intro so far on the second one.....I've been sidetracked lately.  I picked up The Wall by Jean-Paul Sartre and have read only the first two stories in it, but am enjoying it so far. 

Edited by pontalba

Brilliant ! :D

Hey Hey...!    :balloons:

Going through more boxes in the downstairs storage.  /sigh/  Yuck.  Most of it is going in the trash so far.  God alone knows why it moved up here with us. 

I just finished The Jealous Kind by James Lee Burke, his newest release. Burke says that it is the best book he has written. I don't know about that but the prose is excellent. I will see if I can discuss the book with him and see why he thinks it is his best.

I just finished The Jealous Kind by James Lee Burke, his newest release. Burke says that it is the best book he has written. I don't know about that but the prose is excellent. I will see if I can discuss the book with him and see why he thinks it is his best.

It's more in the Holland series.....I've only read one of those, and while the prose is Burke's usual gorgeous prose, I just didn't care for them.

I hope to finally finish the Robicheaux series......... :)

Do you think you were inspired by Marie Kondo at all ? :)

Hah! Hah!  Not even in the slightest degree.  :D

Nah, this is the detritus of several generations of "junque" that my family has managed to collect.  I'm the last of the Mohicans, so I'd better clear it up. :roll::)  My Uncle told me 20 years ago that he was sorry to leave me to manage it, but he just couldn't face it.   S'ok, I'm doin' it.

Hah! Hah!  Not even in the slightest degree.  :D

Nah, this is the detritus of several generations of "junque" that my family has managed to collect.  I'm the last of the Mohicans, so I'd better clear it up. :roll::)  My Uncle told me 20 years ago that he was sorry to leave me to manage it, but he just couldn't face it.   S'ok, I'm doin' it.

I`m slowing reading my through her 2nd book, Spark Joy oslt. Slowly does it, so I don`t get scared.... :hide:

Well done on tackling everything. :D

The Girl From the Sea by Shalin Boland 3/5

Woman washes up on the shore, no memory, absolutely none.  She has no idea how she ended up half drowned, in that place. 

I found it a little formulaic, but it was deceptive........(maybe) all was not as it seemed.  It did keep me reading, and the ending was satisfying.

Good Behavior by Blake Crouch 4/5

Crouch is the author of the Wayward Pines series, so you know you're in for an interesting and twisty ride with him.  Good Behavior consists of three novellas about a down and out, tweeker, one Letty Dobesh.  She is also one of the best pickpockets/con woman/thief in the business, definitely with her ups and downs.  Her journey is a fascinating study. 

I read this on my iPad kindle app for the most part, and the novellas are interspersed with actual film clips from the new series of the same name that Crouch has had a heavy hand in creating for television.  After each novella, Crouch has a note explaining how this fits in with the series, and insight on the making of same. 

One reason I mention that I read about 2/3rds of it on my iPad is that when I switched to my actual Kindle Fire, there were no vid clips. 

Definitely recommended.

One reason I mention that I read about 2/3rds of it on my iPad is that when I switched to my actual Kindle Fire, there were no vid clips.

What an interesting way to writing an e-book! Strange you couldn't see the clips on the Kindle Fire, I would've thought it's a tablet just like the iPad.

Finally finished Peter May's trilogy's last book, The Chess Men.  Same protagonist  as The Blackhouse and The Lewis Man, same location, but different aspects of the protag's life.  May really loves to skip back and forth in time and manages is quite well.  He manages the different voices of the characters, makes the reader truly understand the workings of their minds. 

All murder mysteries, but so much more.  We learn the loneliness of the northernmost Scottish Islands, the rich but at the same time spare beauty of the landscape and are made to understand the deep attachment of man to land.

The plots are far reaching and complex.  I recommend them without reservation.

I'm reading The Greatest Knight, The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, The Power Behind Five English Thrones by Thomas Asbridge.  Only 14% in, but well written and interestingly written.  Not a bit dry. 

Also have started Confederates by Thomas Keneally.  So far, so good. 

Finally finished Peter May's trilogy's last book, The Chess Men.  Same protagonist  as The Blackhouse and The Lewis Man, same location, but different aspects of the protag's life.  May really loves to skip back and forth in time and manages is quite well.  He manages the different voices of the characters, makes the reader truly understand the workings of their minds. 

All murder mysteries, but so much more.  We learn the loneliness of the northernmost Scottish Islands, the rich but at the same time spare beauty of the landscape and are made to understand the deep attachment of man to land.

The plots are far reaching and complex.  I recommend them without reservation.

I've still not read any Peter May, which is a massive omission in my reading. Your post has made me want to pick some up again!

I love the Peter May Lewis trilogy, superbly written and a bit different to the usual crime books.  And as Pontalba says ,the setting and landscape are just as important, with the island almost being a character in it's own right.  Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian, the trilogy is well worth the time!  :)

Madeleine, thanks for the encouragement before.  :)  Somehow I got stuck.  Mostly because of that one scene....

The one where he finds out about the lamb. It just knocked me for a loop for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still only about 23% in the William Marshall (Greatest Knight) (non-fiction) account.  Also about a third of the way through John LeCarre's the Night Manager.  We'd watched the mini series, and I felt I had to read the book.....:) 

I'm hoping to finish both at least before the end of the year.  :roll:

Oh!  Also bought In Sunlight or in Shadow, stories inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper.  Lawrence Block edited the collection, and while I've only read the first one so far, it was delicious, and I know the rest will be as well. :)

I love the Peter May Lewis trilogy, superbly written and a bit different to the usual crime books.  And as Pontalba says ,the setting and landscape are just as important, with the island almost being a character in it's own right.  Highly recommended.

Interesting, cos I thought rather the opposite!  Indeed, The Black House is one of the two books I've listed in the BCF Awards thread as my biggest disappointments of the year.  FWIW, my review back in the summer is here.  I am in a small minority though.

Edited by willoyd

Interesting, cos I thought rather the opposite!  Indeed, The Black House is one of the two books I've listed in the BCF Awards thread as my biggest disappointments of the year.  FWIW, my review back in the summer is here.  I am in a small minority though.

Interesting take in your review. I'd not heard the term "mis-lit" before. Had to google it. :). Misery lit. I see where you're coming from, and might even agree to some extent, but for the progression of the main character in the trilogy. And, yes, the time switches could be a bit discombobulating, and, btw, they only increase as the trilogy continues. :D

To each their own kettle of fish. :)