pontalba's 2016 reading list

pontalba

The Sudden Appearance of Hope sounds interesting. Great review :).

Thanks, Gaia.  :) 

I'm partway through several books atm, another James Sallis, a Patricia Highsmith and something else.....oh, yeah, a Jim Thompson book.  Thompson is about as bare bones as an author can get.  But excellent.  Back when I finish something to review.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It turns out that the Jim Thompson book I was reading Pop. 1280 is another version of Thompson's The Killer Inside Me.  I'd read the latter a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.  But this version is not half so palatable.  I simply could not take the protag's voice in Pop. 1280........it grated on my last nerve.  So, I put it aside after a bit.  Bleech. 

The Two Faces of January by Patricia Highsmith 3.5/5

In a rather seedy hotel in Athens, a man witnesses someone disposing of what appears to be a dead body, and decides to help him.  Said witness then falls in with the killer and his wife, helping them in various ways.  Highsmith weaves a tale of suspicion and murder whose culmination you may not guess. 

I loved Highsmith's Ripley series, all five of them.  Well mostly, one or two were a bit weaker than the others.  But, all in all, great storytelling.  And, in spite of the er....moral character (or lack thereof)  of Ripley, he was interesting.  I think that is the crux of my dissatisfaction with this novel.  The main protag is simply not fully formed, so therefore not completely there.

Vanished (a Nick Heller Novel)  by Joseph Finder 3.5/5

Kidnapping (or is it?), suspense, double crosses, and family values.  When Nick Heller's nephew makes a frantic call for help, telling him that his father has been kidnapped and his mother inured during the kidnapping, Nick swings into action.  Doesn't matter that he has hardly seen his brother in years......he's family.  Nick's Special Forces skills will all come into play to get to the bottom of this rather convoluted happening. 

This is a promising first entry of what appears to be an action filled series. 

Totally off topic, but I see that you're on the forum... have you read Gone Girl or The Girl On The Train? I just remembered I bough them and don't normally read psychological thrillers, so I thought I'd ask you :)

I have read both. I probably wrote reviews, but am not sure. I liked them both pretty well.

I know some didn't care for the ending of Gone Girl, but I loved it.

On iPad, but will search later. :)

Ok, found the review for Gone Girl, here 'tis.  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/?p=356111

Interestingly (or confusingly) enough, there are two books with very similar names. 

First the one of which you are speaking The Girl On The Train.

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13235-pontalbas-2015-reading-list/?p=421405

Now for the (almost) doppelganger title... Girl On A Train.  I must not have reviewed it, or at least can't find it, but I did find on Good Reads that I rated it 4 stars.  .  So, here is the Amazon link for it.  https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Train-J-Waines/dp/1508647941/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470192387&sr=1-2&keywords=The+girl+on+a+train

It seems you liked them both, but The Girl On The Train was better? Great reviews, I'm glad they were enjoyable! Thanks for digging and how strange about the Girl On A Train :D. I'm looking forward to them now! I don't read many psychological thrillers... in fact, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the only one I can recall in recent memory.

I've finally managed to finish SPQR by Mary Beard.  3/5

/sigh/  Rather disappointing in the end.  I'd read about a third of it some months ago, then last week sped through most of the rest and last night finished off the last 40ish pages. Beard is, I'm sure, a fine historian.  This book is supposed to be a sort of introduction, overall picture of how Rome began.  I've not formally studied Roman history, but have read quite a lot, especially the times of the Caesars.  Beard begins with Cicero, and then views Roman history from that vantage point.  Interesting concept, it's true. 

However a very large percentage of what she writes is speculation, which is frustrating.  She states "facts", then turns around and says....well.......it could have been this other way.  Which considering the scarcity of real, or hardly any records of the far back times is logical.  But it's the way she goes about it that is so irritating.  She throws in some concrete factoids, taken from tombs of those times that have survived, but most of what she puts down is at least half speculation. 

When I was a kid, I read all of the Mythology, and have forgotten most of the details, only retaining the outlines and images.  But it seemed to me that Beard incorporated a great deal of that in her telling.  Frankly, Edith Hamilton was lots more interesting!

Also finished The Man Who Would Not Be Washington by Jonathan Horn.  4/5

It's the story of General Robert E. Lee, he was the Confederate General that (reluctantly) fought in the American Civil War.  His wife was the Great-Granddaughter of George Washington, and his father was closely tied to Washington.  This book covers all the intricacies of the familial relationships.....which frankly became a bit tiresome.  The various battles of the War were chronicled, but not so closely so as to become tedious. 

For me the best part was the telling of Lee's struggles with himself, and his struggles to do the right thing.  It was finally up to him to execute the wills of Washington & family......the freeing of the slaves that had been held by the Washington family.  Money was always a problem as Lee's father was rather a spendthrift and wasted lots more than he'd had.  Lee's military career and postings (way before the Civil War)  so far away from home conflicted with those duties. 

It's an excellent portrait of a complicated man, and an even more complicated and terrible time in our history. 

Highly Recommended.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch 4/5

Suppose you were attacked on the street, beaten, then woke up in a world that looked like yours, where people knew who and what you were.......but it wasn't your world.  Jason Dessen is in just that position.  Has he lost his mind?  Has everyone else?  How is it he being hailed for the discovery of a lifetime, but has no clue as to what it is? 

Identity and how we hold onto just who and what we are is at the crux of this novel.  It's one exciting ride.  Oh, the possibilities!

Highly recommended.

btw, Crouch is the author of the Wayward Pines books.  Just sayin'............

I'm glad at least two out of three reads were pretty enjoyable for you. Shame about SPQR. I find the history of the Romans and their mythology and everything, quite interesting. Shame about the speculation parts and the way she went about it.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch 4/5

btw, Crouch is the author of the Wayward Pines books.  Just sayin'............

I've been looking forward to this, though I gave up on the Pines books after book two.

I haven't gotten into Wayward Pines yet. Byw, I'm loving The Girl On The Train!! Thanks again for pulling up your review for me, it gave me the push :)

I saw you watched the movie about Niagara Falls... have you ever been there? I was little disappointed, and it's really easy to accidentally cross over to Canada lol. We got stuck at customs :P

I'm glad at least two out of three reads were pretty enjoyable for you. Shame about SPQR. I find the history of the Romans and their mythology and everything, quite interesting. Shame about the speculation parts and the way she went about it.

Thanks, Gaia.  I've loved all of that from when I was a kid.  Grew up reading about it.  :)

I've been looking forward to this, though I gave up on the Pines books after book two.

It's really a great take on what we do, and why, and the directions our lives go off into.  The road(s) not taken and all that.  But more.

Sorry you didn't care for the Wayward Pines all the way through.  There are lots of off-shoots, i.e. "fan fic", some good, some not so good. 

I haven't gotten into Wayward Pines yet. Byw, I'm loving The Girl On The Train!! Thanks again for pulling up your review for me, it gave me the push :)

I saw you watched the movie about Niagara Falls... have you ever been there? I was little disappointed, and it's really easy to accidentally cross over to Canada lol. We got stuck at customs :P

Oh, you're welcome!  Glad you are enjoying it!  :) 

No, I've not been to Niagara Falls, didn't make it that far north.  Only as far as NYC.

What a shame that SPQR wasn't better. :( off to look up Edith Hamilton ! :)

Edith Hamilton and also Bullfinch's Mythology.  Both good in different ways.  But there are loads more.  :)

Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo 4/5

Hit man falls in love with the boss's wife.  Hmmmm, not the healthiest of life routes to traverse.  But, obviously safety is not one of Olav's highest priorities in life. 

He is a dreamer, and to some extent lives through his fantasies and imagination.  He is the most unreliable of narrators, almost completely in denial of his true feelings.   It  isn't until the very last pages of the book that we truly understand what drives him. 

Nesbo is able to create a completely different voice to his other books, and series.  Seemingly simple, but oh, so complex.

Recommended.

The Outlaw Album by Daniel Woodrell 5/5

A compilation of 12 short stories, Woodrell's characters have extremely diverse voices.  All of a "backwoods" sort, but oh, so different.  Anything from what one might call a "Cracker", to a loquacious, educated loner.  A Vietnam War survivor with PTSD to a Quantrill Raider* survivor.  From a cold blooded killer to an innocent.   

I couldn't stop reading.....had to go all the way through in one sitting. 

Highly Recommended.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantrill%27s_Raiders

Edited by pontalba

:giggle2:

Still, they`re on an actual shelf, rather than a book pile on the floor (like lots of mine  :hide:  ), so that`s progress ? :)

Well......"on the shelf" is a relative term....... :blush2:   They're around here.  Lets put it like that.  /sigh/ :D

I think I've about had it with Felix Francis books that are entitled "Dick Francis' ________".  The last one I read, Damage was rather disappointing.  Seemed generic and 1930-ish...and not in a good or original way.  He is trying to imitate his father's prose, but Felix's lacks something and for me at least, falls flat.   I won't be looking for anymore.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

I love your explanation of "on the shelf" Pontalba, most of mine are "on the floor" but I get your meaning!

I've read a couple of Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books and enjoyed them.

:D  As my Mother would have said, "its the same difference". 

I've finished a few books since I last posted. 

Havana Nocturne by T. English

Damage by Felix Francis 3/5

The Return by Hakan Nesser 4/5

Havana Nocturne was a book I'd started months ago, left in the middle, and finally finished. Phew!  It's an interesting, but sometimes too drawn out account of history of the Mafia in Havana, Cuba.  Of course when Fidel Castro ousted Batista, that was it for the Mafia.  English gives lots of history on the various mob figures and who was in charge when, and how they got along, or didn't.  While extremely interesting, the book was a bit repetitive, and could have used a good editor.

I've already written about the Francis book, Damage, up thread.  Suffice it to say, I doubt I'll look for more of the series.  Darn shame.

The Return (An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery) by Hakan Nesser is the third in this series.  I love the character of Van Veeteren.  He has an abrupt manner about him that gels along with the others of his unit.  His "sixth sense" about crimes and criminals is unerringly accurate and almost spooky in it's aspect.  But without a hint of hocus-pocus, or unreality.  He is just plain intuitive.  Beautifully so. 

In this installment, he is admitted to the hospital for surgery, and practically solves the case from his bed, reading reports from his second.  Three murders are involved, and the guilt or innocence of the alleged culprit is not written in stone.  VV's solution is both elegant and chilling. 

Recommended.

Edited by pontalba