pontalba's 2016 reading list

pontalba

I'm absolutely fascinated now by the responses to The Passage. Several people with whom my interests frequently overlap have not liked it, despite thinking they would, as I think I would. I still kind of want to try it, but its very difficult not to be put off!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm absolutely fascinated now by the responses to The Passage. Several people with whom my interests frequently overlap have not liked it, despite thinking they would, as I think I would. I still kind of want to try it, but its very difficult not to be put off!

I'm about 30% through the last of the trilogy now, and it's almost as though one has to read all three to "get" the true thrust of what Cronin is telling the reader. In this last one he is explaining aspects of the previous books, so the reader can truly understand the thought processes of the characters. Then come to an true understanding. We only thought we understood what happened. He always starts out slow.....and he does switch stories, and even time frames at the drop of a hat. :D. But I like that! :D

City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin 4.5/5

As mentioned above, I believe a reader has to read all three of the trilogy to actually understand the scope of what Cronin is putting out there.  In this, latest installment, Cronin explains in depth exactly the origins of the virus, and exactly how it came to be a world wide scourge.  He makes us understand the motivations of the principle characters and sympathize with heretofore unsympathetic characters.  Cronin has a marvelous way of making the reader feel the geography and weather of his locations and their impact on the characters. 

I read somewhere that the story is actually about love.  In a large sense that is true, however it's a lot more than expounding on the value and hold "love" has on us.  It's about the absolute  inexplicability of survival, loyalty, and the ramifications of said loyalty.  It's about how we relate to each other as humans and an analysis of what and why we long for the things we do. 

The only factor that kept me from a full 5/5 star rating was length.  I truly believe that some corners could have been cut, and that some storylines were drawn out too far. Sometimes a little goes a long way.   Several times I felt like skipping a few pages, but was afraid to, in case I'd miss something.  :) 

Highly recommended.

I've just been dabbling since in several books, can't quite seem to light on anything and finish it!

I'm in an awkward reading phase as well. Nothing seems to stick these days.

I hope you both find a book that 'sticks' :)!

Hah, LOL!  I think I have three started.  /sigh/  One is a Patricia Highsmith, The Two Faces of January.  I tried to start The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood.  Didn't much care for it though.  Haven't made any progress today though.  Today was spent going across the lake.  Great day!

I was wishing for some bialys, and the only place I knew of that sells them is closed on Saturday.  So, google to the rescue.  :)  We found a place down on Magazine St. in N.O., it's a big shopping street for antiques, clothes, food, all kinds.  Steins Market and Deli, http://www.yelp.com/biz/steins-market-and-deli-new-orleans

We ate and brought a dozen bialys home with us.....and black and whites!!  New York style. :D 

It's a Jewish and Italian Deli.....http://steinsdeli.net/home/    Oh, God.....we are definitely going back!

In case you don't know what a bialy is..... http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/bialy-new-york-bread.html  Yum!

Still reading several, not a lot is grabbing me atm.

Couldn't resist buying this one though.....take that Marie whassit!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059043/ The Joy of Leaving Your Sh*t All Over the Place by Jennifer McCartney.

Same as above. :D  I have to say though.............the McCartney book, while funny, is extremely vulgar.  Every third sentence contains the F-Bomb.  I'm a third of the way through (and its a short book) and can only take it in small increments.  But I do love the premise.......Messy lives! :D

Edited by pontalba

Have finished three:

The Defence by Steve Cavanaugh 4/5

High octane thriller.  All the action within a 24 hour period concentrating on a lawyer being blackmailed by a gangster. In order to save his young daughter's life, he must free a Russian Mafia leader. 

New Pompeii by Daniel Godfrey 3/5

This should have been amazing, it has the bones for amazing but falls down in delivery.  It has time travel, a murder mystery and all the paraphernalia  of a great story, including a new (to me) idea of possibility.  Just didn't deliver.

The Life I Left Behind by Colette McBeth 3/5

Well done murder mystery with a twist.  One of the three narrators is the murder victim.  I just felt the outcome was a little predictable.  I would have preferred another twist there.

Edited by pontalba

• 2 weeks later...

Night Film by  Marisha Pessl  3/5  2.5/5

An investigative reporter obsessed with a certain film director whose reputation is beyond strange.  A daughter that commits suicide.  The reporters obsession leads him down a dubious path that could certainly lead to his own destruction, not to mention the impressionable young people that latch onto him during his quest. 

Does the director dabble in Black Magic?  What is causing the reporters obsession with him?  Who can the reporter trust?

Pessl seems not to be able to make up her mind which tack she wishes to take with the story.  Black magic?  Obsessive behavior?  Or, can all the strange occurrences be explained by ordinary means?   The ending left me dissatisfied, to say the least.  I 'm rating it the three out of five stars because the story did pull me along, in spite of stalling out about a third of the way through. 

There were way too many utterly, unbelievably  stupid actions taken by the reporter, taking chances with both his life and the lives of those that worked with him.  Chances that a man with his supposed life experience would never take. 

Make that a 2.5/5 rating after all. 

Meh.

Edited by pontalba

There were way too many utterly, unbelievably  stupid actions taken by the reporter, taking chances with both his life and the lives of those that worked with him.  Chances that a man with his supposed life experience would never take. 

That is one is the most irritating things in books!! Soooo infuriating :motz: Shame that you had a book that like.

Thanks, guys. It was disappointing, but the good news is that another book, The Sudden Appearance of Hope has picked up. :). I'd bogged down in that one, but it's doing better.

Oh dear, I bought this on Kindle not that long ago. I loved Special Topics in Calamity Physics and was hoping this would be more of the same.

Mind you, we have differing views on a lot of books, so maybe I will really enjoy it. :D

That is one is the most irritating things in books!! Soooo infuriating :motz: Shame that you had a book that like.

Ugh, agreed. Do these people not get someone honest to proofread? All fiction is fantasy to some degree of course, but people's actions and motivations should make sense both to their characters and the world they live in. 

Otherwise it's pointless investing in it.