pontalba

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pixie

Isn't it strange how we get so used to having a book with us , that if we find ourselves someplace without one , for even a few minutes, we go into a mini- panic ?  It's like, WHAT am I supposed to do with this 12 minutes of spare time ??

Pixie

Isn't it strange how we get so used to having a book with us , that if we find ourselves someplace without one , for even a few minutes, we go into a mini- panic ?  It's like, WHAT am I supposed to do with this 12 minutes of spare time ??

:giggle2:  I suppose younger people just get out their phones, but I`m ( almost) lost without a book. :smile:

Yea, you brought up a good point about the phones. It's weird if you are out in public and watching people very much . Almost everyone seems to be talking , texting, or fiddling with their phones no matter where you are .

It always amazes me when I am grocery shopping ,and there are lots of people shopping while carrying on conversations on their phone . It's funny, sometimes I wonder if they stop to think that everyone in the store is listening to their half of the conversation ?

:D

Edited by julie

Yea, you brought up a good ppint about the phones. It's weird if you are out in public and watching people very much . Almost everyone seems to be talking , texting, or fiddling with their phones no matter where you are .

It always amazes me when I am grocery shopping ,and there are lots of people shopping while carrying on conversations on their phone . It's funny, sometimes I wonder if they stop to think that everyone in the store is listening to their half of the conversation ?

:D

I`m sometimes concerned by it ; that it stops people from being comfortable just ...`being`, that they need something to occupy themselves ( er, books don`t count.  :giggle2: ). 

And yes - what`s so important they need to be on the phone constantly ?? It`s so rude when someone`s on the phone when they`re paying the supermarket cashier, too. * End mini-rant * 

I keep wondering what we all did  BEFORE cell phones and computers ? I know I was around back then, but it seems weird to think about how we kept occupied before we had a computer running in front of us all day ... :dunno:

I keep wondering what we all did  BEFORE cell phones and computers ? I know I was around back then, but it seems weird to think about how we kept occupied before we had a computer running in front of us all day ... :dunno:

I know I had to play solitaire by using actual cards ( oh, the horror !  :o ). 

Kate, one of my Richard &Frances Lockridge books - which I got from Amazon marketplace - started out life in St Charles Parish Library, Hahnville, Louisiana. :smile:

I love this!  that location is SSW about an hour and a half driving.  :)

Pixie

Hah, know what you mean.  It's frustrating.  (see above :roll::D )

I know I had to play solitaire by using actual cards ( oh, the horror !  :o ). 

OMG!  No!  Really?!  EEK!  :giggle:

the last time I played with a real deck was after hurricane Katrina.  11 years ago now.  Yikes!!

:giggle2:  :giggle2:

I went to the acupuncturist not long ago and realised I`d forgotten to put my book in my handbag. I seriously considered going to buy a book in a nearby charity shop, just to `cope` with the 15 minute wait.  :smile:

I love this!  Don't feel like the Lone Ranger though, been there, and actually done that! :P

It's raining here......again.  Or is it still?  /sigh/  But I have to say that we don't have it anywhere near as bad as north of us.  Some of those stories we've seen on the news....baseball sized hail, houses knocked off their foundations by tornadoes and flash floods with a height of 18 feet sweeping through a neighborhood.  It's hard to imagine.  Thankfully we are in a high place, so we won't be in danger of flooding.  Just tornadoes, etc.  :roll:  Some thundering made me jump out of my skin a while ago.

Pixie

It's odd, but I've felt that too.

And yes - what`s so important they need to be on the phone constantly ?? It`s so rude when someone`s on the phone when they`re paying the supermarket cashier, too. * End mini-rant *

:o that is just rude! So many people are often on their phone nowadays, in a lot of countries. I hardly see anyone on the phone in the supermarkets here though, but I do see it a lot on trains.

It's raining here......again.  Or is it still?  /sigh/  But I have to say that we don't have it anywhere near as bad as north of us.  Some of those stories we've seen on the news....baseball sized hail, houses knocked off their foundations by tornadoes and flash floods with a height of 18 feet sweeping through a neighborhood.  It's hard to imagine.  Thankfully we are in a high place, so we won't be in danger of flooding.  Just tornadoes, etc.  :roll:  Some thundering made me jump out of my skin a while ago.

Hope you`re still safe ! :smile: How are the little Furry Ones coping with the thunder ?  :hide:

An 18ft flood is just plain scary. :o

We`ve had some odd weather lately - one week 16C, the next week 3C and frozen-pea-sized hail and snow nearby. Now the News says that a heatwave`s on the way...  :doh:

I love this!  that location is SSW about an hour and a half driving.  :)

I love this!  Don't feel like the Lone Ranger though, been there, and actually done that! :P

Aw, my book`s been in your neighbourhood ( ish ).  :giggle2: I did take a look online at the webpage for the Library.  :smile:

I toughed out my acupuncture wait ( well, there were magazines... ). :D

I'm glad you don't have it so bad there :) - but I feel really bad for those people who have it worse :(.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading! Honest! :D

On iPad right now, don't have list in front of me...will add later.

The last one though was Down River by John Hart. So. Very Excellent.

Be back. :)

I've now read the trilogy featuring the Coughlin family. The first one, The Given Day, 4/5, covers from about 1917 through 1919 (give or take a few months).  Most of the book takes place in Boston, Massachusetts.  Remember the U.S. only got into WWI in 1917, so we had not been at war as long as Europe.  It was an event filled time, the Unions were being called Communist, and being beaten back wherever companies/groups could do so.  Supposedly it was against the law for those in "service" occupations to be in a Union.  So, when the police decided to join the AFL-CIO, it was one helluva big deal.  And when they struck there was a riot to end all riots.   Many were maimed and even killed, on both sides.  Careers were ruined, and the strike was broken.  The Coughlin family was in the middle of all of this, and some suffered the consequences. 

The story also covers a young African-American man that has been seriously wronged, and of all things Babe Ruth. :)  How all of these unlikely families collide makes for an interesting story.

The second in the trilogy, Live By Night, 4/5, covers the life of one of the younger Coughlin's and his descent into a life of crime.  It's probably the weakest of the trilogy, although well worth the read as well. 

The third, World Gone By, 4/5, finished out the younger brother's criminal dealings.  The book takes us to New Orleans, Tampa, Florida, and Cuba.  This ties nicely in with another book I've half read, Havana Nocturne by T.J. English that covers all of the gangster related Cuban story. 

Lehane really gives his characters depth and plenty of heart.  Doesn't matter that they are partially gangsters.....they still love and have a certain code that they follow, some to their own demise.  I can recommend all three highly.

New Yorked 3/5 by Rob Hart was an interesting pictorial of how some fly-by-nighters live in New York City.  A detective story, with New York accents and dialogue.  A bit like some of Lawrence Blocks stories, I believe.

Fool Me Once 3/5  by Harlan Coben was a little disappointing.  Good story, but told too superficially,  and tending on the plastic side.  It attempts to tackle the problem of PTSD, but just doesn't manage to go beyond the surface. 

Down River by John Hart 4.5/5, was a wonderfully told family story.  But this families unhappiness stemmed from a suicide, a couple of murders.  The story picks up when the accused murderer comes home again from the big city after 5 years.  He'd been acquitted, but the small town could not/would not accept the verdict.  The way Hart describes the community, but especially the land and the river is absolutely mesmerizing. His understanding of father/son relationship intricacies is right on target. 

So very well done!

It seems you read some enjoyable books and some less enjoyable books. Nice reviews :)! Down River sounds interesting.

Thanks, I have been fortunate lately! :D

Down River sounds brilliant, I've put it on my wishlist!

It really is, also his other books are just as good.  Hope you enjoy! :)

Last night I read Lawrence Block's latest novella featuring Keller, Keller's Fedora.  Definite 5/5 !

I love Keller's.......er, Block's sense of humor. Wry, self-deprecating and on the macabre side, it's enough to make the reader laugh out loud but then catch themselves. I mean, really, what's funny about murder?

Keller. Lawrence Blocks laconic hit man makes a return in this novella that captures the essence of the character. If you appreciate a bit of gallows humor, run out and buy the full length Keller books. Well worth the time. I guarantee.

Jeopardy is doing Celebrities this week and one question had to do with Louis L'amour and which genre he wrote (you know how they are easy for celebrities) and Louis CK said pulp fiction lol

:giggle:  :giggle:

Nooo, the Dreaded Pile !!  :hide:  And yet, I keep feeding mine. Will the Madness never cease !  :giggle2:

Don't we all......./innocent whistling/

I certainly HOPE not!! :readingtwo:  :giggle2:

Jeopardy is doing Celebrities this week and one question had to do with Louis L'amour and which genre he wrote (you know how they are easy for celebrities) and Louis CK said pulp fiction lol

Oy!