Tunn 300's 2016 Reading Blog

tunn300

So the start of another reading year is here and with it another blog. Like last year I am going to use this blog to keep a track of my reading and also post thoughts on books when I feel particularly moved to do so. I am afraid I know I won't keep to a promise of reviewing every book I read. I am also not going to set any book buying limits for this year, as again I know I will struggle to keep to them.

This year I will post my TBR pile as an incentive to myself to read more.

Edited by tunn300

Books read in 2016 - 8 (Kindle Books - 3, Paperbacks - 2, Hardbacks - 0, Library Books - 3)
Total Pages Read - 2,635

January
Elizabeth is Missing - Emma Healey - 5/10 (Kindle, Started 26/12/2015 - Finished 01/01/2016) 323 Pages
Wrong Time, Wrong Place - Simon Kernick - 6/10 (Kindle, Started 05/01/16 - Finished 05/01/2016) 112 Pages

February
Hotel Alpha - Mark Watson - 8/10 (Papeback, Started 07/01/2016 - Finished 06/02/2016) 400 Pages
Disclaimer - Renèe Knight - 8/10 (Kindle, Started 13/02/2016 - Finished 21/02/2016) 357 Pages
Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith - 9/10 (Paperback, Started 22/02/2016 - Finished 28/02/2016) 478 Pages

March
Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes - 5/10 (Library Book, Started 29/02/206 - Finished 09/03/2016) 375 Pages

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra - Vaseem Khan - 8/10 (Library Book, Started 10/03/2106 - Finished 14/03/2016) 298 Pages

Our Endless Numbered Days - Claire Fuller - 6/10 (Library Book Started 14/03/2016 - Finished 30/03/2016) 292 Pages

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Edited by tunn300

TBR Pile: 82 (Jan 1st)

Kindle Books (41):
All the Light we Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
Wrong Time, Wrong Place - Simon Kernick
The Hundred Year Old Man - Jonas Jonasson
Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Backman
Divergent - Veronica Roth
After the Crash - Michel Bussi
The Ice Twins - S.K.Tremayne
Ayoade on Ayoade - Richard Ayoade
Foxglove Summer - Ben Aaronovitch
I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes
Us - David Nicholls
Close to the Bone - Stuart McBride
The Lie - C.L.Taylor
After the Funeral - Agatha Christie
Netherland - Joseph O'Neill
The Post Birthday World - Lionel Shriver
Stardust - Neil Gaiman
The American Boy - Andrew Taylor
The Hundredth Man - J.A.Kerley
The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
The Casual Vacancy - J.K.Rowling
The Man Who Forgot His Wife - John O'Farrell
Lawless - Matt Bondurant
White Bones - Graham Masterton
Life of Pi - Yann Mantel
Blood Brother - J.A.Kerley
Into the Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes
The Stranger's Child - Alan Hollinghurst
Perfect People -Peter James
The Sealed Letter - Emma Donoghue
Look at Me - Jennifer Egan
Back of Beyond - C.J.Box
Nemesis - Jo Nesbo
Leopard - Jo Nesbo
Afterwards - Rosamund Lipton
The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
Moab is my Wahpot - Stephen Fry
The Trophy Taker - Lee Weeks

Paperbacks (34):
Love, Love me do - Mark Haysom
Brixton Beach - Roma Tearne
Six Suspects - Vikas Swarup
Skippy Dies - Paul Murray
Too Close to Home - Linwood Barclay
Wish you were Here - Mike Gayle
Hotel Alpha - Mark Watson
Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
Fingersmith - Sarah Waters
The Paying Guests - Sarah Waters
The Horse with my Name - Bateman
Belfast Confidential - Bateman
Orpheus Rising - Bateman
Until you're Mine - Samantha Hayes
The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenger
The immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
The Hypnotist - Lark Kepler
The Devil's Punchbowl - Greg Iles
The Taliban Cricket Club - Timeri N. Murari
Blood & Beauty -Sarah Dunant
Death Trip - Lee Weeks
Heart Sick & Sweet Heart - Chelsea Cain
The Caller - Alex Barclay
Dark house - Alex Barclay
Count to Ten - Karen Rose
Carte Blanche - Geoffrey Deaver
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
One Summer - Bill Bryson
The Lost - Claire McGowan
The Goldfinch - Donna Tart
Child 44 -Tom Rob Smith
The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry
Oh Dear Silvia - Dawn French
CMJ - A Cricketing Life - Chrisopher Martin Jenkins

Hardbacks (4):
Camp David - David Walliams
My Time - Bradley Wiggins
Cricket - A Modern Anthology - Jonathan Agnew
Twirleymen - Amol Rajan

Audio Books (3):
The Road to Little Dribbling - Bill Bryson
The Slaughter Man - Tony Parsons
An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth - Chris Hadfield

Edited by tunn300

2016 Books

Kindle
(2)
Disclaimer - Renèe Knight
Behind Closed Doors - B.A. Paris

Audio Books (2)

Finders Keepers - Stephen King

Black Widow - Chris Brookmyre

Library (4)

Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra - Vaseem Khan

Crooked Heart - Lissa Evans

Our Endless Numbered Days - Claire Fuller

Paperbacks

Current TBR Pile - 84

Edited by tunn300

I hope you have a wonderful reading year in 2016, tunn! :smile2:

A few comments on some of the books on your TBR pile... I simply loved and adored A Man Called Ove! :smile2: I hope you will enjoy it! Fingersmith is an excellent novel and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you get to it. There were things in the novel that I did not expect... I'll say no more. Too Close to Home and the Chelsea Cain novels were all great thrillers, some of my very favorites! :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up Disclaimer by Renèe Knight over the weekend. I have wanted to read it ever since reading about it in the Times and have been patiently waiting for the price to reduce on kindle and this weekend it was £1.99 so I picked it up. About 80 pages in and so far so good.

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

Moab is my Wahpot - Stephen Fry

Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenger

From your 'to read' books, I enjoyed the above ones. I have some others on my 'to read' pile too. I hope you have a good reading year in 2016. :)

I picked up Disclaimer by Renèe Knight over the weekend. I have wanted to read it ever since reading about it in the Times and have been patiently waiting for the price to reduce on kindle and this weekend it was £1.99 so I picked it up. About 80 pages in and so far so good.

I read this towards the end of last year .. that is I listened to it. Riveting! Hope you continue to enjoy it tunn :)

I read this towards the end of last year .. that is I listened to it. Riveting! Hope you continue to enjoy it tunn :)

Well I finished it and I certainly did continue to enjoy it. A really good debut thriller and an author I will continue to look out for. I have now started Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith which has sat on my to read pile for years.

Oooh, Child 44 is a very good read. Hope you enjoy it!

I had a long wait yesterday for an appointment so managed to read almost half the book on one sitting. It's safe to say I am hooked and keen to read on and finish it. I looked up reviews of the film version released last year but they look slightly disappointing.

I didn't know there was a film version. I'll keep an eye out for it on Netflix. As much as I enjoyed Child 44, I never picked up his other books. I saw The Farm at the library a few times, but always ended up with something else. I should give it a read, see if it as good as Child 44.

I didn't know there was a film version. I'll keep an eye out for it on Netflix. As much as I enjoyed Child 44, I never picked up his other books. I saw The Farm at the library a few times, but always ended up with something else. I should give it a read, see if it as good as Child 44.

The film only came out last year and hasn't even made Sky movies yet so you could be waiting a fair while for it to show up on Netflix unfortunately.

I didn't realise that Child 44 was the first inspector Leo book in a series of three books. The farm is not one of those books though. I think I may have to read the rest of the series as this book is so good.

After two long reading stints yesterday I managed to finish Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start and to finish and have no idea why I have left it sitting on my TBR pile for a fair few years. It is a testament to how good the book is in that I managed to finish it in under a week, which is very rare for a 400+ page book for me. The book was so fast paced there never seemed like a good time to stop reading as the next interesting thing was just about to happen. I love how the author has managed to recreate Stalinist Russia, I knew very little about the era but after this am intrigued to learn more. I have since learnt that there are two other books following the main characters from this story and I will get around to reading them quicker than I did to this novel.

Next I am moving on to Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes. This book imagines Hitler has been in some sort of coma for the past 50 years and suddenly wakes up in modern day Germany. It has got some very positive views. I stumbled across it by mistake as I was looking at the current Waterstones book club books and this was one of the previous clubs books and it hooked me in straight away. It is a library book I had to request so I am moving on to it straight away. This is exactly why Child 44 has sat so long on my TBR pile, I am always intrigued by new books and then just can't help myself.

Edited by tunn300

The film only came out last year and hasn't even made Sky movies yet so you could be waiting a fair while for it to show up on Netflix unfortunately.

I didn't realise that Child 44 was the first inspector Leo book in a series of three books. The farm is not one of those books though. I think I may have to read the rest of the series as this book is so good.

I read Child 44 a year or so ago & enjoyed it. The film is actually already available on Amazon Prime, but I've not got round to watching it yet, maybe because I fear I'll be disappointed!

So I am a third of the way through 'Look Who's Back' and I really don't know how I feel about it. I certainly haven't found it  "Funny, very funny" as the quote on the front proclaims, but in parts it has raised a small chuckle. I think the premise is just so ridiculous that I am struggling to suspend my disbelief and go along with the idea. I did contemplate giving up on it as I have had another couple of my requested books arrive at the library but it is very rare I quit a book and it's not that bad that this should be one that joins that very short list.

I will persevere and maybe try and get a good reading session in tonight and break the back of it. Hopefully it may also become more interesting as it progresses.