Which is the best book in the Chronicles of Narnia?

Kell

Which is the best book in the Chronicles of Narnia?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best book in the Chronicles of Narnia?

• The Magician's Nephew
    • The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
    • The Horse & His Boy
    • Prince Caspian
    • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    • The Silver Chair
    • The Last Battle
    • I've not read them

I'm really looking forward to reading these books. I bought the Complete Chronicles of Narnia a few months back, but it'll be strictly 'home' reading, because it's a pretty hefty tome. My version has the books ordered chronologically and I hope to read the first story next year (I'd like to aim for more than one per year but with my TBR pile the way it is, I don't have great hopes for that happening!).

A friend from childhood recently assured me that we read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when we were in primary school, and I can vaguely recall the cover of the book and an impression of having read at least some of it, but I have no recollection of the story itself. I wonder if it will all come back to me when I read it? :) One way to find out!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My version has the books ordered chronologically and I hope to read the first story next year (I'd like to aim for more than one per year but with my TBR pile the way it is, I don't have great hopes for that happening!).

I can almost completely guarantee that once you read the first one, you'll want to keep going - especially if you have that bit chunky Complete Edition (I have a nice, fat, complete edition too - my hubby got it for me for Xmas a few years back). I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did!

Kell, can you tell us what the order is chronologically? I probably have something that tells me somewhere..

The order they're shown in the poll at the top of this thread is the chronological order of the Chronicles. (The Lion,The Witch and the Wardrobe was written first, but its comes second.)

• 6 months later...

I'm planning on finally starting on the Chronicles of Narnia this weekend (I have a long weekend so I should be able to get through one story). I was going to read them chronologically as that's the order they're published in my book, but I was just looking at Wikipedia and it has this to say about the reading order:

Some fans of the series...maintain that much of the magic of Narnia comes from the way in which the world is gradually presented in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. They believe that the mystery of the wardrobe is narratively a much better introduction than in The Magician's Nephew

Personally I think they're better read in publication order than chronological order, particularly if this is your first read.

TMN contains 'spoilers' for LWW and I believe these would detract from the magic of later-published books.

ETA: Sorry, I meant TMN contains spoilers which would detract from the magic of earlier published books, which should be read first. Did that make sense? Probably not. Anyway...if we're talking about Narnia time being linear, then you can read them in chronological order, but I always say they should be read in the order Lewis wrote them. Sure, 'his' way jumps back and forward in time but...well, if it's good enough for the author, it's good enough for the reader, I say.

I agree - although I re-read them in chronological order, they work VERY well if you read them all starting from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and go right through to the end, and THEN read The Magician's Nephew. It's lovely to have it finally revealed how it all began... feels more satisfying that way.

Excellent! I'm glad you and Prospero agree with each other - makes my decision a lot easier (and with LWW being the most well-known, I was looking forward to reading that one the most anyway). Thanks! :)

(And yes, Prospero, your post made perfect sense!)

• 1 year later...

I voted for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I liked that book a whole lot. I still like the LWW, but it just isn't as good as The Dawn Treader. I really don't know exactly why I like it more, I just do.

On another note, I read them in chronological order, but I think that reading them in published order would be better. I'm a Star Wars geek and I love their series, especially how they saved the mystery of how Darth Vader became, and I think that the Narnia series did something a lot like that.

I voted for The Lion, the witch & the wardrobe, which is in my opinion the most representative of C.S. Lewis Chronicles: here is strong the symbology, the figure of Aslan undergoes his sacrifice to save the children and the world of Narnia. You could almost read it without the others and still have a strong idea of the message Lewis wanted to give.

I voted for 'The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe'. For most it is our first introduction to Narnia, and all the magic therein.

I enjoyed the whole series so much as a child. They took me away from myself. If wishing like a demon worked I would have crossed over to Narnia a long time ago! :)

• 1 year later...

I haven't read them since I was little so can't remember which one I liked the best, but would guess it's between the first two.

Have been meaning to read them again, but fear I will be bugged about the heavy religious meaning and that it will change how I feel about them.

I voted for 'The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe'. For most it is our first introduction to Narnia, and all the magic therein.

I enjoyed the whole series so much as a child. They took me away from myself. If wishing like a demon worked I would have crossed over to Narnia a long time ago! :)

I agree. And I voted for "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" too.

A slight aside, I just saw the trailer for the film version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, looks good, although I'm not sure how good an adaptation it will be.

Back on topic, it's been the best part of three decades since I had these books read to me and I can't remember enough of them to pick a favourite. I do remember enjoying The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when I was a kid though.

A slight aside, I just saw the trailer for the film version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, looks good, although I'm not sure how good an adaptation it will be.

Back on topic, it's been the best part of three decades since I had these books read to me and I can't remember enough of them to pick a favourite. I do remember enjoying The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when I was a kid though.

I liked the book but from the trailer the movie looks a bit different so I'm not sure if it'll be as good although I'm still going to see it. Dawn Treader is probably my 3rd favorite behind The Magician's Nephew.

• 1 month later...

I voted for The Magician's Nephew. Second favourite is probably Dawntreader.

Here's a question for you guys. What order would you recommend for reading them? Chronological order (from The Magician's Nephew to The Last Battle, which is how they're normally boxed) or the order of publication (starting with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)?

I would recommend reading them for the first time in the order of publication, because all that stuff at the beginning of The Lion... is just the perfect iconic intro to Narnia. But I would always re-read them in chronological order, because it's a real treat to follow the whole cycle from genesis to apocalypse.

I'm in the process of reading the Narnia series for the first time. I have the complete series in one book, in which the stories are listed in chronological order. I decided to read them in order of publication, though, so I've been jumping around the book somewhat. :) I only have The Last Battle to go.