Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

What a naughty puppy, Anna!  Oh my gosh!  I read them so many times when I was younger as well, and re-read them all a couple of years ago after I visited one of the Ingalls' homestead in DeSmet, South Dakota.  Also, whenever we take a day trip down to southern MN and into WI we also always stop at the site of the 'Little House in the Big Woods.'  I love those stories so! :D

Oh- I remember you mentioning that trip!  We didn't get that far (SD) when we went cross country... did you see the Black Hills?  I especially remember when they gathered maple from the trees in the winter and made little candies by putting them in the snow to harden :wub:

And yes, in 11 years, Luka has never lived that down!  :rolleyes:

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh- I remember you mentioning that trip!  We didn't get that far (SD) when we went cross country... did you see the Black Hills?  I especially remember when they gathered maple from the trees in the winter and made little candies by putting them in the snow to harden :wub:

And yes, in 11 years, Luka has never lived that down!  :rolleyes:

Sadly I've not yet been to the Black Hills, Anna, which is a shame considering I live less than a day's drive.  Hopefully one of these days I'll get there!

Sadly I've not yet been to the Black Hills, Anna, which is a shame considering I live less than a day's drive.  Hopefully one of these days I'll get there!

Buy something pretty!  Well, and take in the hills :)

I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2016, Anna! :smile2: 

I got an Amazon package in the mail this morning, an early birthday present for myself :smile:

And 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

Ooooh, NICE! :cool: Which edition did you get? 

I hope you have an amazing reading year in 2016, Anna! :smile2:

Ooooh, NICE! :cool: Which edition did you get? 

Thanks!  I got the one that came out in 2010?  It's "revised and updated" woo woo :)  Happy 2016, Frankie :)

The Lemon Tree: An Arab, A Jew and the Heart of the Middle East

Sandy Tolan, 384 pages + loads of extra acknowledgments

This extraordinary story is based on the true lives of a Jewish Israeli woman and a Palestinian man and how their lives come together.  Told through their histories, alongside that of the history of Israel and Palestine, Sandy Tolan outdoes himself in the extensive research of this book.  The two characters, Dalia and Bashir are dynamic individuals, both striving for a different sort of Israel, but tied together by a lemon tree.   The story of The Lemon Tree is the secret to the book.

It was enlightening to learn more about the history of Israel, it really helps to have a working knowledge of the beginnings of the country and the men behind it- it was interesting to learn more about the roles of Ben- Gurion, Menachem Begin, Yitzhak Rabin, Ariel Sharon and Benjamin Netanyahu. 

The Lemon Tree focuses on the boarder town of al- Ramla, and the forced removal of Bashir’s family and the Palestinians that lived there.  It also tells the story of Dalia, whose parent’s escaped the holocaust in Bulgaria to start afresh in al- Ramla. 

When the two finally become friends, she, as Jewish, identifies with Bashir’s expulsion from his homeland.  But they disagree on how that should come about.

Thanks!  I got the one that came out in 2010?  It's "revised and updated" woo woo :)  Happy 2016, Frankie :)

That's newer than the one I've got, and yours has a better cover too (in my opinion). Enjoy :D!

I'm glad you found The Lemon Tree interesting.

Is it the one with the woman reading a book on a beach? Are you now going to start the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -challenge? :D:cool: 

That's newer than the one I've got, and yours has a better cover too (in my opinion). Enjoy :D!

Which edition do you have, the 2006 or 2008? 

Which edition do you have, the 2006 or 2008?

My edition says 2012 on it. It's the cover with the lips. I think the beach cover looks prettier. I bought the book on holiday and didn't know about the different editions, at the time.

My edition says 2012 on it. It's the cover with the lips. I think the beach cover looks prettier. I bought the book on holiday and didn't know about the different editions, at the time.

Ah, okay :) I don't think I even remembered there was a 2012 edition! I personally like the cover with the lips. Do you think you will get the beach cover edition later if you find it cheap somewhere? 

Ah, okay :) I don't think I even remembered there was a 2012 edition! I personally like the cover with the lips. Do you think you will get the beach cover edition later if you find it cheap somewhere?

If I can find it quite cheap, that's very tempting. It's not very likely though, you hardly see the books in the Netherlands. I kind of wish the book had some books on the cover. I guess it's probably just that the lips are red and I don't like make-up (that includes lipstick). I don't hate the cover though, I just prefer the beach one over the lips.

If I can find it quite cheap, that's very tempting. It's not very likely though, you hardly see the books in the Netherlands. I kind of wish the book had some books on the cover. I guess it's probably just that the lips are red and I don't like make-up (that includes lipstick). I don't hate the cover though, I just prefer the beach one over the lips.

That's true, I never see those books in secondhand bookshops. :(  I gather that if you buy the book, you hold on to it. 

Is it the one with the woman reading a book on a beach? Are you now going to start the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -challenge? :D:cool:

Ya on the beach with her feet up reading :P  :readingtwo:  So far, I had 48 on the list :smile:  But it definitely leads to a growing TBR.  I started with the 2000's.

I have the app with all 1305 from all the editions on it. I'm going to make it a retirement project.... So I've got 40 years to go before I can properly tackle it ;)

I'm knocking 10 off a year though so I'm making progress!

I have the app with all 1305 from all the editions on it. I'm going to make it a retirement project.... So I've got 40 years to go before I can properly tackle it ;)

I'm knocking 10 off a year though so I'm making progress!

10 a year is good progress!   My mom just laughed when I told her I had 48... she said "You're almost there!" :giggle2:

Happy Reading in 2016 Anna :) 

Thanks!  :) You too!  I had some questions about audiobooks over in the What are you reading thread... I don't know if you saw them or not.  I'm considering Amazon's audio program for the HP books, I've never read them, but Jim Dale is an awesome storyteller and just the way I'd want it in my head.  Besides, at 30 dollars a book, I think the program would be worth it!  Does it actually take 27 hours for Order of the Phoenix? :o  :giggle2: 

Today I bought some books, and treated myself. 

Laura Ingalls Wilder- Pioneer Girl

Another collection of the Little House on the Prairie books

Johanna Basford- Lost Ocean (Book 3 of her coloring book series)

James Dean- Pete the Cat: Scuba Cat (new release for my daughter)

Janet Pascal- Who was Abraham Lincoln? (again, for my daughter, these are a collection that number around 25-30 books)

:exc:

Johanna Basford- Lost Ocean (Book 3 of her coloring book series)

I got this for Christmas. Aren't the pics gorgeous? I have all three of her books now but haven't started any of them. I don't want to ruin them!

I got this for Christmas. Aren't the pics gorgeous? I have all three of her books now but haven't started any of them. I don't want to ruin them!

I have yet to receive it, it should be here tomorrow... I've been ogling it since you posted about it!  I won't color them in either, they are too beautiful!  I want the post cards now.

....I got her Enchanted Forest and I've been colouring it  :blush2:  I'm terrible at colouring, and am definitely ruining it. :roll:

Aw!  Did you start with that one?  What are you using to color with?  Could you buy a new one, just to keep and the other to practice and have fun with?

Aw!  Did you start with that one?  What are you using to color with?  Could you buy a new one, just to keep and the other to practice and have fun with?

Yes, colouring pencils, and nah, it's a colouring book, it's meant to be a mess :D