Anna's Reading in 2016

Anna Begins

Ya on the beach with her feet up reading :P  :readingtwo:  So far, I had 48 on the list :smile:  But it definitely leads to a growing TBR.  I started with the 2000's.

You've covered a lot of ground already! I hope it will prove to be a fruitful challenge for you, finding loads of gems :smile2: 

10 a year is good progress!   My mom just laughed when I told her I had 48... she said "You're almost there!" :giggle2:

:lol: :lol: 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got two, one I got for Christmas and one I bought.  I photocopied the pages to colour so I don't ruin it.

I figure its meant to be ruined! The pictures are incomplete without colour, so I don't like them any more that way than I do full of messy colour :)

I figure its meant to be ruined! The pictures are incomplete without colour, so I don't like them any more that way than I do full of messy colour :)

:)

I've got two, one I got for Christmas and one I bought.  I photocopied the pages to colour so I don't ruin it.

I photocopy mine too :hide:

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (481 pages)

I liked this book a lot.  I am lucky that the books I have read so far this year have matched or exceeded my expectations.  This book, my second of Picoult’s (or third, if you include her short story, Color War) was true to the book Plain Truth, which focuses on the human emotions of tragedy.  As in Plain Truth and in other Picoult novels, this book had a trial.  *sigh* I have a problem with trial books.  First and foremost, I find the US justice system a horrible travesty of justice.  Second, I find them boring :P

Not so with Picoult and I was able to follow along with what was going on in the trial, the first degree murder suspect, Chris Harte, defends himself in The Pact suicide of himself and his beloved soul mate, Emily.  Did he kill her?  Did Emily pull the trigger?  Who was suicidal?  Were they both?

It’s a great story and one that does not bore.  The trial is interspersed with scenes from Chris and Emily’s life and the night she died.  The jury decides in the end, but do you agree?  I did not.  I also did not like the final ending, but realize its symbolism.  It was a proper ending though and one that concluded the story well. 

I liked all the characters in this story, everyone was well represented, including Emily.  I have two more Picoult’s scheduled for the year and I look forward to each.

Recommended.     

Edited by Anna Begins

Yay for this review! I'm glad you really liked The Pact (minus the ending). I look forward to read the other two Picoult's together with you :friends0:. I think you will like My Sister's Keeper though it does have a trial in it. I'm not a big fan of trial books either, but I find Picoult does it so well. The American system is different than the Dutch system, I'm not a big fan of the US system I have to say :P. But I like reading Jodi Picoult's books, they are usually very enjoyable.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the novel (even though you didn't agree with or like the ending). :smile2: I'm looking forward to seeing which Picoult you read next, as I want to read more books by her, too, and would like to see which one might be best to continue with. 

The Pact was my first book by Piccoult (one of my book group choices) and I didn't get on with it.  I'm not sure I've read many other books set in court rooms - the only other ones I can think of are parts of the Rumpole of the Bailey comic series - but I really couldn't bear The Pact.  I thought it was tedious and when the book group chose another one to read I didn't want to bother with it, but persevered only to find another trial in the second half of the book!  It's good we all enjoy different things, and I know there are plenty of fans of her work here so you're in great company, but I definitely won't be reading another of her books! :D

Yay for this review! I'm glad you really liked The Pact (minus the ending). I look forward to read the other two Picoult's together with you :friends0:. I think you will like My Sister's Keeper though it does have a trial in it. I'm not a big fan of trial books either, but I find Picoult does it so well. The American system is different than the Dutch system, I'm not a big fan of the US system I have to say :P. But I like reading Jodi Picoult's books, they are usually very enjoyable.

I find her writing so... effortless.  Its so easy to read then, she just leads you along.  I am not a fan of our justice system either!

I'm really happy you enjoyed the novel (even though you didn't agree with or like the ending). :smile2: I'm looking forward to seeing which Picoult you read next, as I want to read more books by her, too, and would like to see which one might be best to continue with. 

It will be My Sister's Keeper next month :P Have you read that one?  I like how she changes between the trial and what actually happens.

The Pact was my first book by Piccoult (one of my book group choices) and I didn't get on with it.  I'm not sure I've read many other books set in court rooms - the only other ones I can think of are parts of the Rumpole of the Bailey comic series - but I really couldn't bear The Pact.  I thought it was tedious and when the book group chose another one to read I didn't want to bother with it, but persevered only to find another trial in the second half of the book!  It's good we all enjoy different things, and I know there are plenty of fans of her work here so you're in great company, but I definitely won't be reading another of her books! :D

I find that if the last bits of a book are about a trial, I am ok.  But I dislike John Grisham for the same reasons you said.  I liked the story though, I find with Picoult, it's easy because of the switching of scenes between the courtroom and the story, it keeps me interested as its not all boring trial.  What was the second book they chose?  I think there is a bit of a trial in each of her books.

It will be My Sister's Keeper next month :P Have you read that one?  I like how she changes between the trial and what actually happens.

Ah, that one. No, I haven't read it, and truthfully I'm not interested in it at all :unsure: I consider myself having quite a broad taste in literature and different themes and such, but one thing I don't enjoy reading about is diseases and illnesses that will inevitably lead to the death of the character. Too depressing. Not for me! 

I find that if the last bits of a book are about a trial, I am ok.  But I dislike John Grisham for the same reasons you said.  I liked the story though, I find with Picoult, it's easy because of the switching of scenes between the courtroom and the story, it keeps me interested as its not all boring trial.  What was the second book they chose?  I think there is a bit of a trial in each of her books.

The other one was Vanishing Acts. I have to say, I was in the minority at the group, and most of the other people really enjoyed it, but I'm used to being the lone voice there! It's quite often the case that there's a strong consensus one way or the other with the book choices, and I'm usually in the minority. :giggle2:

Ah, that one. No, I haven't read it, and truthfully I'm not interested in it at all :unsure: I consider myself having quite a broad taste in literature and different themes and such, but one thing I don't enjoy reading about is diseases and illnesses that will inevitably lead to the death of the character. Too depressing. Not for me! 

I'm not either, but this is about her sister's dilemma, so I think it will be interesting, based on the premise. 

The other one was Vanishing Acts. I have to say, I was in the minority at the group, and most of the other people really enjoyed it, but I'm used to being the lone voice there! It's quite often the case that there's a strong consensus one way or the other with the book choices, and I'm usually in the minority. :giggle2:

But that's a good thing, right?  I don't think that would be the book for me either.  I don't really get into books where people are trying to rediscover their past, if that makes sense.

But that's a good thing, right?  I don't think that would be the book for me either.  I don't really get into books where people are trying to rediscover their past, if that makes sense.

I think it's a good thing! :D In fact, it's become a bit of a joke as we go around the table that if everyone has loved the book, that when it gets to me, someone will say, "I bet Claire hates it!" :lol:

I think it's a good thing! :D In fact, it's become a bit of a joke as we go around the table that if everyone has loved the book, that when it gets to me, someone will say, "I bet Claire hates it!" :lol:

:giggle2:

Hunger (Gone Book 2) by Michael Grant (611 pages with excerpt)

It’s been three months since Sam has been trying to keep order in the FAYZ, the dome shaped sphere that covers Perdido Beach.  As hunger permeates throughout the community of some 300 kids between the ages of infant and 14, they still wonder- what happened to all the adults that disappeared at the beginning of the FAYZ?

Sam, the oldest- or second oldest if you count his twin nemesis brother- in the FAYZ, struggles with the burden he has been placed under as elected Mayor by the kids and the fact that he is only 15 years old.  Standing in the way of his survival and that of the community are the ever present hunger situation, vicious worm snakes, a cut off in electricity, a war breaking out between kids with powers and without, an ominous presence called Darkness, speaking wolves and battles with his evil brother.

If all of this sounds like too much and is crazy, yes, it sort of sounds that way.  But Grant handles it- and its vast amount of characters- extremely well.  The fast moving sequel to Gone, Hunger has a great ending, sets up book 3 - Lies- and is the second in a series of six.

Haha :giggle2:

Hunger (Gone Book 2) by Michael Grant (611 pages with excerpt)

Nice review :). It really was fast moving, and well handled. It was great to read this together! I better hurry up and also write down a few lines about it :).

EDIT: I don't know what's up with the size of your quote! Even though I type in a different size, it always reverts back to size = 3!

EDIT: I don't know what's up with the size of your quote! Even though I type in a different size, it always reverts back to size = 3!

I don't know what to do about my font size.  I use the standard 12 in my Word document and then when I paste it over here, it turns out the size of my Hunger review.  But of I try to resize it on the board after pasting it, it turns out the size of my The Pact review :10_confused:  It's almost as frustrating as not being able to post the book covers :Tantrum:

It is odd! I don't know what could be going on.

Let me test:

This is a test with size 1. (or font 8)

This is a test with size 2. (or font 10)

This is a test with size 3. (or font 12)

This is a test with size 4. (or font 14)

This is a test with size 5. (or font 18)

This is a test with size 5. (or font 24)

I don't know why it acts so weird though.

I photocopy mine too :hide:

I planned to do that with my colouring books, but my photocopier only takes up to A4, and the pictures are larger than that.  :doh:

I have The Pact on my TBR pile....sounds interesting so I may bump it up a bit. I quite like 'trial books' so hopefully I will get on with it ok. :readingtwo:

Ooh- I do hope you like it, it's got some lovely twists and emotions goin' on.  :)  I loved the way she chronologically organized the story.

• 2 weeks later...

The Time Traveler’s Wife- Audre Niffenegger (416 pages)

"...he thinks there is only free will when you are in time, in the present.  He says in the past we can only do what we did, and we can only be there if we were there." Henry, talking to his 1992 self/ The Time Traveler's Wife

I have a problem getting through the 30- 60% range of a book.  I don’t know why, the middle just bogs me down.  But with Time Traveler’s Wife, Niffenegger stages a major event in the smack dab middle of the book and it kept me riveted.

Henry is a time traveler (against his will).  And Clair is his soul mate.  Only 8 years apart, their lives intersect throughout the book, Henry vowing to never reveal the future.  As the couple try to embark on a “normal” existence in a marriage, their closeness resonates.

Though the end left me wanting (and wishing) for more, I was disappointed in the one chosen by the author.  It was a good read though, one I enjoyed.  I just wish the ending had been better.

I'm glad you liked the book, though I'm sorry you didn't like the ending. I thought it was emotional and powerful, but opinions differ :). Can you put in spoilers how you would've liked it to end?

I think Claire and Henry made a great couple, they are great characters. I'm glad the middle didn't drag for you like it usually does.

I would have liked and thought

it would have ended with Henry visiting her after his death, as she grew older. I also didn't like the way he died, in the snow by her dad and brothers, I thought it would have been more dramatic, especially after he landed on Henry and Clair's kitchen floor covered in blood and glass for a few minutes.