Reading with Kat 2016

Lilywhite

To be read (from the bookshelf) 48

Catherynne M Valente ~ Deathless (review)
Trudi Canavan ~ Magicians Apprentice

Trudi Canavan ~ The Rogue

Trudi Canavan ~ The Ambassadors Mission
Philippa Gregory ~ The Red Queen (Cousins War Series book 2)
Philippa Gregory ~ The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War Series book 3)
Charlaine Harris ~ Dead and Gone (book 9)
Charlaine Harris ~ Death's Excellent Vacation
Gregory Maguire ~ Out of Oz
Christopher Paolini - Inheritance (book 4)
PD James ~ Death Comes to Pemberley
George Bernard Shaw ~ Pygmalian
Susan Hill ~ Dolly
Christopher Fowler ~ Spanky (RISI)
Jostein Gaarder ~ Sophie's World

J M Warwick ~ A Season of Eden (possibly Mum's copy?)

Stephen Foster ~ Walking Ollie
Gail Carriger ~ Soulless
Pen Farthing ~ One Dog at a Time

Holly Black ~ Tithe

Holly Black ~ Ironside
Alison Weir ~ The Lady Elizabeth

Trudi Canavan ~ The Priestess of the White
Trudi Canavan ~ Last of The Wilds
Trudi Canavan ~ Voice of The Gods

Kelley Armstrong ~ Waking The Witch (Otherworld book 11)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Summoning (Darkest Powers Book 1)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Awakening (Darkest Powers Book 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Reckoning (Darkest Powers Book 3)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Men of the Otherworld

Kelley Armstrong ~ Tales of the Otherworld

Kelley Armstrong ~ Made to be Broken (Nadia Stafford Book 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford Book 1)

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Seduction
Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Kiss

Michele Bardsley ~ Because Your Vampire Said So! (book 3)

Jeanne Kalogridis ~ Burning Times

Sue Townsend ~ The Queen & I

Jean Plaidy ~ Uneasy Lies The Head (Tudors bk1)

Donald McCaig ~ Rhett Butler's People

MaryJanice Davidson ~ Dead and Loving It

Susan Hill ~ Mrs DeWinter

Karen Chance ~ Touch The Dark

Freda Warrington ~ A Taste of Blood Wine

Torey Hayden ~ Beautiful Child

Margaret Atwood ~ The Handmaids Tale

Stieg Larsson ~ The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Somewhere in the attic (still)

Mitch Albom ~ For One More Day
Michele Bardsley ~ Come hell or high water (book 6)
Christie Dickason ~ The Principessa
Tess Gerritsen ~ In Their Footsteps
Tess Gerritsen ~ Stolen
Seth Grahame-Smith & Jane Austen ~ Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Vicky Halls ~ Cat Counsellor
Mandasue Heller ~ The Pact
Karen Moline ~ Belladonna
Kate Morton ~ The Forgotten Garden
Jean Plaidy ~ Castille For Isabella (Isabelle & Ferdinand Trilogy bk1)
Terry Pratchett ~ The Light Fantastic
Justine Picardie ~ Daphne
Eva Stachniak ~ Dancing With Kings
Alison Weir ~ Innocent Traitor

Stephen King

Revival

A spectacularly dark and electrifying novel about addiction, religion, music and what might exist on the other side of life.

In a small New England town, in the early 60s, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister, Charles Jacobs. Soon they forge a deep bond, based on their fascination with simple experiments in electricity.

Decades later, Jamie is living a nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll. Now an addict, he sees Jacobs again - a showman on stage, creating dazzling 'portraits in lightning' - and their meeting has profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil's devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.

This rich and disturbing novel spans five decades on its way to the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written. It's a masterpiece from King, in the great American tradition of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edgar Allan Poe.

Started: 01/01/16

Finished:19/01/16

Rated: 4/5

Comments: I haven't read any Stephen King for a while and admit that when I do, I usually fall back on his older stuff for a reread.  I've loved reading something completely new and in true King style, it was pretty awesome reading.  Nobody builds up suspense better, in my opinion.  This story seems pretty straight forward for the most part, just someone recalling their connection with a minister from his childhood.  You're always aware of something almost sinister on the periphery but it's never really acknowledged.  That is until all the suspense builds up and leads to a pretty fast paced and explosive ending.  So good, and such an easy going read.  Recommended for those of you that aren't too keen on outright horror and in your face monsters.

Oh Wow- another Philippa Gregory fan!  I LOVED The Cousins War Series, and you have two of the best picked out!

I plan on some Alison Weir this year as well, she has two books coming out in 2016, plus I want to re read The Life of Elizabeth I.

Happy New Year and here's to a great year of books! :readingtwo:

I hope you have a really wonderful reading year 2016! :smile2: You still have some of your books in the attic? 

I really enjoyed Pygmalion. I thought it might be a difficult read, what with it being an old work of literature and a play. But it was very readable! I hope you will enjoy it :smile2: 

Happy reading in 2016, Kat :).

Hope you have a great reading year, Kat. :smile:

Hope you have a good reading year in 2016 Kat :)

Thank you all!  Hope you have a fab reading year as well.  I'm hoping to make a dent in that massive list above :D

Oh Wow- another Philippa Gregory fan!  I LOVED The Cousins War Series, and you have two of the best picked out!

I plan on some Alison Weir this year as well, she has two books coming out in 2016, plus I want to re read The Life of Elizabeth I.

Happy New Year and here's to a great year of books! :readingtwo:

Glad to know there are more out there who love Philippa too!  Although I'm pretty sure she is incredibly popular anyway.  So far I'm loving the Cousins War Series and I don't think I've read one I didn't enjoy.  Looking forward to continuing where I left off last year with these ones.

I hope you have a really wonderful reading year 2016! :smile2: You still have some of your books in the attic? 

I really enjoyed Pygmalion. I thought it might be a difficult read, what with it being an old work of literature and a play. But it was very readable! I hope you will enjoy it :smile2:

Unfortunately Frankie, I must confess that there is a stray box still in the attic.  It would have been down and rummaged through pretty quickly if I wasn't so terrified of the massive spiders I know are hiding up there.  I just have to wait for the right time to send the brave other half up there for me and try to direct him to the lost treasure. :)

Pygmalion I read in school, and although I pretty much hate all the other books I was forced to read for educational purposes (Lord of the Flies still makes me shudder)  this one I really loved and I can't wait to pick it up again and give it a re-read.

Happy reading, Kat! Hope you're enjoying Revival. I really want to read some Stephen King this year (hopefully I'll finally read The Stand!)

Thanks Kylie!  Enjoying it a lot so far.  Stephen King is one of my favourite authors and one that is always surprising me as well.  I would always recommend The Shining, as it's my favourite but you really can't go wrong with The Stand either.  Hope you give it a go soon.

Unfortunately Frankie, I must confess that there is a stray box still in the attic.  It would have been down and rummaged through pretty quickly if I wasn't so terrified of the massive spiders I know are hiding up there.  I just have to wait for the right time to send the brave other half up there for me and try to direct him to the lost treasure. :)

Do you reckon it will take a lot of work to convince your brave other half to go up there soon? Attics are the worst places to encounter with spiders, because they are usually not all that well lit and the little monsters can go unnoticed  :hide:   Not knowing where they are exactly is worse than knowing...  :out:  May the force be with you and your other half! 

Pygmalion I read in school, and although I pretty much hate all the other books I was forced to read for educational purposes (Lord of the Flies still makes me shudder)  this one I really loved and I can't wait to pick it up again and give it a re-read.

Ah, you've already read it once. There's so much wittiness to it that I'm sure it will easily stand a re-read. :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Martina Cole

The Good Life

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE NEVER FREE.

Cain Moran wanted Jenny Riley more than he had ever wanted anyone or anything before in his life. But loving Jenny Riley was the easy part; it was telling his wife he wanted a divorce that was going to be the killer...

Jenny is not just any girl. She cares nothing for Cain's hard-man reputation - she just wants to be with him.

But Cain is not a free man. And he's about to find out that when his wife Caroline said 'til death us do part, she meant it.

When Cain is sentenced to life in prison it seems that Caroline might have got her wish. All Cain and Jenny know is that if their love can survive such separation, then one day they will have a chance at the Good Life together again.

But there are greater trials ahead than either can foresee. They're about to learn the hardest lesson of all:

LIVE THE GOOD LIFE. PAY THE PRICE.

Started: 20/01/16

Finished: 28/01/16

Rated: 3/5

Comments: