Karen.d's Reads 2016

karen.d

Happy New Year everyone! I was pretty rubbish at updating my book log last year, so one of my reading resolutions for 2016 is to keep on top of updating this year's one. I'm also aiming to read 30 books this year. It will be a little difficult, but I'm confident that it can be done. I hope that 2016 is a great reading year for us all :-)

Ratings

***** Loved it

**** Liked it

*** It was OK

** Didn't like it

* Hated it

January

(Started in 2015) ' The Truth' - Terry Pratchett ****

'Gone Girl'- Gillian Flynn *****

'The Catastrophic History of you and me'- Jess Rothenberg ***

'Driving over Lemons'- Chris Stewart ***

February

'Girl Interrupted'- Susanna Kaysen

'We need to Talk about Kevin'- Lionel Shriver ****

'102 Minutes- The Untold Story of the fight to survive inside the Twin Towers'- Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn ****

March

'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'- J.K Rowling (Currently Reading)

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Edited by karen.d

Hope you have a good reading year, Karen :)

Thanks, the same to you!

Have a great 2016 Karen and good luck keeping up with your blog too, that is also my aim! :)

Good luck with keeping up with your book blog too!

Oooh I love all the pretty colours. Happy reading in 2016 Karen :D

Glad you like the different colours Noll! Happy reading to you too. :smile:

Hi Karen..I like you haven't given myself a stupid total...30 too, and I still haven't managed to reach it...maybe this year... :D

I still think that 30 books a bit of a challenge (I failed my Goodreads challenge of reading 25 books last year :doh: ), but it's a do-able task.

I hope you have an amazing reading year! :smile2: And I hope that you can reach that reading target :)

Thanks Frankie I hope you have a great reading year too.

Hope you have a great reading year, Karen. :smile:

Thanks! You too!

Hey Karen! Happy New Year, and happy reading in 2016 :).

Thanks Athena!

• 1 month later...

Whilst I haven't posted my thoughts on any of the books I have read this year (my bad!), I feel compelled to say something about 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. Whilst I don't like the writing style of this novel, I still find this compelling. I just don't know what to make of Kevin or his mum! What does everything think of this ? (No spoilers just yet please, I haven't quite finished!)

'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver

Firstly, forgive me if this review is a bit all over the place. It has been about a week since I finished reading this novel and I still haven't been able to exactly pinpoint my thoughts on this! Warning though, this review has spoilers.

The story is told through the letters of Eva Khatchadourian, a woman whose son Kevin is in prison after murdering several of his class members, a teacher and a janitor in the school gym.

The story plot from the point where Eva meets her husband, through to motherhood and finally the present day.

The reasons why I can't pinpoint whether I enjoyed this novel, are varied. Firstly, I wasn't too keen on the writing style. At times the writing seemed forced and too formal. Considering the fact that the book was supposed to be constructed in an informal letter style, in my opinion each chapter would start almost in letter form and then jump into regular prose. However, I felt like the writing improved during the novel.

Secondly

I couldn't understand some of Eva's decisions. For example, she was adamant that she didn't want children, yet suddenly, she decides to trick her husband and get pregnant. Why did she do that?!

I didn't really like the main character Eva. She was cold, selfish and in some ways, just as bad as her son...I think.

I was possibly supposed to feel sorry for Eva after what her son did, but I couldn't.

For example,

It felt like she was actually proud of the fact that her son was such a weirdo. When her second child comes along and she is no trouble, it's like she couldn't be bothered with her.

At times, this felt wrong to even be reading this book, both main characters were twisted and the subject matter, dark. However, some of the psychology highlighted in this novel was fascinating.

As I said at the beginning of this review, my thoughts on this are messy. 'We need to talk about Kevin' isn't exactly the most enjoyable book I've read this year, but it's the most interesting and thought provoking.

I would love to know if anyone else felt as conflicted when they read this book.

Also, due to a bit of backtracking on Eva's part, did you believe Eva's account of things?

Edited by karen.d

'The Truth' By Terry Pratchett

Before reading this novel I had only read one of the ‘Discworld’ novels, so wasn’t entirely sure whether 1. I was going to enjoy this 2. Having jumped out of the sequence of ‘Discworld’ novels (‘The Truth’ is 25th in the series), whether I was going to understand anything.

I was pleased to find that this novel can be read as a stand-alone book and I really enjoyed it.

The world where these books are based is concise and well rounded, and the characters are believable; considering the fact that there are vampires, wolves and talking chairs in this! The plot was engaging, although did get a little too silly towards the end.

The main attraction for me, was the writing style in itself. It’s so deliciously quirky, that I chuckled through a lot of the book. The play on words and satire of the media industry, made for a refreshing change. This doesn’t take itself too seriously and is so much fun to read. If you don’t have a silly sense of humour, don’t read this book. If you want to read something fun, read ‘The Truth’.

I’m looking forward to reading more ‘Discworld’ novels in future.

My Rating ****

Happy World Book Day! How are you all celebrating? There are no events going on in my town (boo!), but I have decided to re-read 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'. I am still reading '102 Minutes- The untold Story of the fight to survive the Twin Towers', but as I'm finding this book really heavy going, I've decided to read something light along side it. I almost never read two book in one go!