Hayley's 2016 Reading

Hayley

Thank you  :smile:  I had to order The Eyre Affair but it should be here in the next couple of days and I'm looking forward to it! I didn't notice you were trying Fforde too in your thread, are you starting with The Eyre Affair too?

Ah no, I meant that other Boardies are reading it this year. I`m fully up to date with Jasper Fforde and his wonderful worlds.  :D

I hope you enjoy The Eyre Affair; from memory, I think it took me about 60 pages to really get into it.  I`ve reread it a few times since ( every time there`s a new Thursday Next book, I do a reread beforehand).  :smile:

I`ve put the Neil Gaiman book in my ` buy at some point` list ; I`ve only read his Good Omens.  :smile: 

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone  :smile:

Ah no, I meant that other Boardies are reading it this year. I`m fully up to date with Jasper Fforde and his wonderful worlds.  :D

I hope you enjoy The Eyre Affair; from memory, I think it took me about 60 pages to really get into it.  I`ve reread it a few times since ( every time there`s a new Thursday Next book, I do a reread beforehand).  :smile:

I`ve put the Neil Gaiman book in my ` buy at some point` list ; I`ve only read his Good Omens.  :smile: 

Oh! I thought it was weird that I hadn't seen it on your thread  :doh:
I hadn't thought about it before but are there more Thursday Next books to come then?

Good Omens was the first time I heard about Neil Gaiman, I bought the book because it was co-written by Terry Pratchett, I'd never heard of Gaiman before! The Ocean at the End of the Lane is very different but definitely worth reading  :smile:

*Puts hand up*   I'm another with The Miniaturist on my Kindle - I downloaded it last January!  Something about it keeps putting me off but I shall make an effort to read it this year.   :)

It is worth a read. Personally I don't think the blurb really represents the book that well. It's a pretty quick read too because it's so packed with shocking twists. It gets a little crazy really but it's one of those things that you need to see because it's just not like anything else! Hopefully you will like it  :smile: 

I really liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane too. Great review, you've said it beautifully. I agree it's best to go in not knowing much about it, all I knew was what was on the back of my edition and I think the book is more enjoyable if you don't know lots about it already.

Same here, all I knew of the plot was from the back of the book and even that really just hints, quite cryptically, at the content. I liked the surprise so I thought I better not give anything away  :D

I'm thinking of giving Farundell a try next. I picked it up in a rush one day from a library sale. The blurb mentioned magic and mystery and a grand old house so I thought it would be worth trying for 20p! I probably shouldn't have but I looked at some reviews out of curiosity when I got it home and they seem very mixed. Some people seem to love it while others think it's poorly written. It put me off a bit and it's been on my shelf for quite a long time now so I think it might be time to give it a chance!

Oh! I thought it was weird that I hadn't seen it on your thread  :doh:

I hadn't thought about it before but are there more Thursday Next books to come then?

I think there`s at least one more to come. The Woman who Died a Lot was book 7, and there`s mention of a book called Dark Reading Matter, which would be Book 8 here.  ( 15th Jan posting ).  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I think there`s at least one more to come. The Woman who Died a Lot was book 7, and there`s mention of a book called Dark Reading Matter, which would be Book 8 here.  ( 15th Jan posting ).  :smile:

There's quite a few then! I really have high hopes for this series, The Eyre Affair arrived a few days ago and I've been sneakily reading the first few pages  :D

Farundell, on the other hand, I think will have to be a 'did not finish.' I'm on page 89 (of 399) and just can't get into it. The actual subject matter interesting but, considering the (much stronger than I expected) supernatural themes, it doesn't feel magical to me. The setting and the characters feel like they have great potential but somehow end up just coming across as quite dull. I realised that it was starting to kill my reading motivation so decided it was probably best to just move on. So it's on to The Eyre Affair  :smile:   

Hey Everyone!!

I am new to this site. Jules Verne is one of my favorite author and searching for his books, I landed up here. I am recently done with his " A Winter Amid The Ice ". The book is so so well written and the content OMG.  And now after reading this much about  "The mysterious island " here , I am definitely gonna try this one. I have read the previous one on a new site ablik.com where it is also present in downloadable form that too free of cost which was awesome.  But I think this one is not there. Can anyone suggest me a good site for " The mysterious Island ".

Hi Lauren  :welcomeboard:

The Mysterious Island is available through Project Gutenberg ( http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1268) which is always good.  A Winter Amid the Ice sounds really interesting too, I'll have to try it! 

If you haven't seen it already you should go and say hi on the 'Introductions' section of the forum (under 'The Lounge' on the main page) because more people will see it there  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - Brilliantly Fun Literary Madness

This book is insane and I love it  :D

There are so many crazy features I loved but I don't want to ruin the experience for new readers so I won't go into detail. It's as though Fforde has absolutely no regard for rules and just threw ideas straight from his imagination onto the page and that makes it feel very unique.

It is very much a book for the bookish, often making you feel as though you're sharing a sort of 'in joke' with the author which is a lot of fun. The overall plot, which gives us a more familiar detective versus 'bad guy' theme is also very well done, both gripping and unpredictable. 

I really liked the main character too so I'm definitely looking forward to reading more in the series!  :smile:

I'm not really sure what to read next. I had a chaotic week last week which means I have a lot of work to catch up on now, so I'm thinking something easy to read. I had planned to read Neverwhere but I think I'd rather save that for when I can relax and enjoy it more. I might read The Shakespeare Secret, since it's meant to be one of those 'can't put down' books, someone at university recommended it to me about 2 years ago and I still haven't got round to reading it  :blush2:  

Great review, Hayley.  :)   Is that the first Jasper Fforde book you've read?   He's one of those authors that I'm really curious about, but at the same time I'm worried that it might be too off the wall and that I won't 'get' it...  :lurker::blush2:

Great review, Hayley.  :)   Is that the first Jasper Fforde book you've read?   He's one of those authors that I'm really curious about, but at the same time I'm worried that it might be too off the wall and that I won't 'get' it...  :lurker::blush2:

When I read the first one, I found I really got into it around page 60 or so. It`s a bit ` plug away till you get the a-ha moment `.   :smile:

When I read the first one, I found I really got into it around page 60 or so. It`s a bit ` plug away till you get the a-ha moment `.   :smile:

Thanks for the tip. :)

What secret club? :o ....................Oh, I see.......it's secret.  :P

:giggle2:

Thank you  :smile:  yes it was! I think it's definitely worth reading for anyone who is really interested in books, particularly Jane Eyre, just because it's so fun. It's not so off the wall that it will leave you scratching your head and wondering what just happened, it's actually very light-hearted.

Hurray, you liked The Eyre Affair !   :D  Welcome to the Secret Club.  ;)

Yay! I do hope this Secret Club is represented by the symbol of a dodo  :giggle2:

I changed my mind about my next book as well, I've started reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie instead  :smile:

Yay, another reader who's read and loved The Eyre Affair by the magnificent Jasper Fforde! :smile2:

I didn't realise how many forum members did love it so much!  :D

I'm still reading The Heroes but I've just come back for a small reading update. I was tidying some books away today and realised I had missed a book from my 'Owned Books to Read' list - The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - because it's little and was on a different shelf (only some books will fit on the little shelf - I don't actually organise my books by size!) So I've edited the list and added it in.

Second book related confession, I may have bought 2 books even though I've only crossed 2 off the list of books already on my shelf...

I now have

Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends by Terry Breverton

and

Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge

In my defence, Fly By Night was only £1 and it was for Marie Curie. It's also pretty and I remembered reading a really good review of it on here. And Breverton's Phantasmagoria was on sale, is a pretty little hardback book and I was ordering a book for someone else at the same time, so I saved on postage! I always liked mythical creatures and I also just like the word phantasmagoria  :P  

I'm going to be reading Breverton's Phantasmagoria alongside my other books since it's in small sections, like a dictionary, rather than one long text. 

I think I need a purse that shouts at me when I try to buy more books... or maybe a howler from Harry Potter that screams "YOU MUST NOT BUY MORE BOOKS" when I enter a bookshop. Probably still wouldn't work  :giggle2:

Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge

In my defence, Fly By Night was only £1 and it was for Marie Curie. 

:exc: I really hope you like it, it was one of my favourites of last year! I haven't gotten around to reading the sequel yet because I'm afraid it won't live up to it. What cover did you get? The one with 'banned' on the front? If so, that's a steal for £1.

:exc: I really hope you like it, it was one of my favourites of last year! I haven't gotten around to reading the sequel yet because I'm afraid it won't live up to it. What cover did you get? The one with 'banned' on the front? If so, that's a steal for £1.

Thanks, I thought it was your review I'd read but I wasn't sure  :D  Mine doesn't have 'banned' on the front but it still has a pretty twisty pattern around the edges in gold, with keys and locks and feathers twined into it, which I love!

I hope you enjoy your new books, Hayley :)!

Thank you  :smile: I have a load of work to get done this week so not nearly enough reading time but hopefully I'll be able to get round to them soon!

I looked and I have The Ocean At The End Of The Lane on my shelf. I will bump it up. Trigger Warning is now on my list too. Thanks!

Good, I hope you enjoy them!  :smile:

And the sound  plock plock.  ;) 

Yes!  :giggle2:  

Thanks, I thought it was your review I'd read but I wasn't sure  :D  Mine doesn't have 'banned' on the front but it still has a pretty twisty pattern around the edges in gold, with keys and locks and feathers twined into it, which I love!

In gold...? There's a hardback version which is kinda yellow/cream with Saracen the goose on the front and a twisty pattern in red. I want to see your version! I have two copies, one in a terrible cover which I must get rid of and one in kinda rusty colour with an illustration of the main girl and her goose, and 'banned' on it. I want the aforementioned hardcopy, too.

In gold...? There's a hardback version which is kinda yellow/cream with Saracen the goose on the front and a twisty pattern in red. I want to see your version! I have two copies, one in a terrible cover which I must get rid of and one in kinda rusty colour with an illustration of the main girl and her goose, and 'banned' on it. I want the aforementioned hardcopy, too.

Oooooh, the hardback is pretty! The 'banned' cover is really difficult to get hold of isn't it? I don't think my edition is anything unusual, it's the first one that comes up on the bookdepository ( http://www.bookdepository.com/Fly-by-Night/9780330418263). Although that picture does make it look a bit like the border is yellow, it is actually gold. 

Oh that's lovely! I hadn't actually seen that edition. I got my Banned edition on Book depository, but I ordered two (which I thought were slightly different) and one wasn't the Banned edition at all, it was this ugly yoke

I hope so much that you love the story, I really, really do.