The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next film at our film club is "Carol" - not heard great reports of that though.  

I like the sound of a 'film club,' Emmabooks!  Good luck with Carol :)

All of a sudden last night I was in the mood to see Star Trek: Into Darkness, so that's what I did.  Loved it, as always!

I quite like Into Darkness, but

Spock shouting Khannnnnnnnnn! is terribly ham-fisted.

:lol: Oh I completely agree, Raven!  I seem to remember the same line in the old Star Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan, and I laughed back then because it was so cheesy!

Yes, the latter :D I watched it mainly because it was supposed to be a romantic comedy and because of Emma Stone. Should really not have bothered!! 

Sounds like Emma Stone shouldn't have bothered either! Still, I guess she got paid a lot...

Edited by vodkafan

Yes, the latter :D I watched it mainly because it was supposed to be a romantic comedy and because of Emma Stone. Should really not have bothered!! 

I didn't think my Playboy guess would be right! :o I love Emma Stone, but I guess I'll be avoiding this one. :)

I didn't think my Playboy guess would be right! :o I love Emma Stone, but I guess I'll be avoiding this one. :)

I did wonder if it was just a lucky guess and you'd be perplexed you got it right :lol: Yeah, I don't think you'd like the movie. I don't know why Emma Stone did it. Maybe it was before she was famous enough to have movies to choose from. 

The Saving of Mr Banks  the story of how Disney made the film of Mary Poppins, starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks.  It was uplifting, funny, poignant and completely engrossing.  Suitable for all the family too.   Hadn't intended to watch it, but a friend wanted to see it and I'm so glad we did. 

I understand that the film is rather distant from the truth - but it certainly is good entertainment.  

I've seen 2 movies at the cinema recently, Dirty Grandpa and The Revenant.

Dirty Grandpa is pretty bad to be honest. All the jokes are unnecessarily offensive and it's really sad to see De Niro stoop to something like this. The Revenant is beautifully shot but it dragged on far too long for my liking. 

I had a lazy morning and watched Tron with Jeff Bridges.  Man, I have clear memories of seeing this in the theatre when I was just 10 years old and I remember thinking it looked cool, but the store was lost on me.  When I watched it today I couldn't help but laugh at its dated-ness but it was still fun to watch and remember good ole' 1982 :lol:

That's surprising because the book was just recommended to me from Amazon and it's only 273 pages!

Without spoiling the movie. What I would call the 'middle act' forms most of the movie. I don't mind long movies, in fact I really enjoy them, but there has to be a reason for it to be long. I felt that this was stretched out to give Leo as much screen time as possible.

The Saving of Mr Banks  the story of how Disney made the film of Mary Poppins, starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks.  It was uplifting, funny, poignant and completely engrossing.  Suitable for all the family too.   Hadn't intended to watch it, but a friend wanted to see it and I'm so glad we did. 

I understand that the film is rather distant from the truth - but it certainly is good entertainment.  

I actually found it really sad that not only did Disney alter Mary Poppins in a way and treat the author in a way that ultimately made her refuse any form of American adaptation of her work thereafter, but that Disney then went on to create a fictitious account wherein they make themselves look like they did some marvelous thing, for the purpose of entertainment. Talk about pouring salt in the wound. 

Now, granted, I think Disney's Mary Poppins is spectacular and works brilliantly, they knew what they were doing in creating it, and I think going against Travers' wishes and cutting her out of the process was one (relatively bad) thing, but to actually produce something like Saving Mr. Banks after the author was too, well, dead, to object or relay her version in contrast, is in horrendously poor taste. In my opinion. 

*gets off high horse* :giggle:

I watched The Double, directed by Richard Ayoade. It was... okay I guess. I liked it but I don't really know what the point of it was.

Without spoiling the movie. 

I felt that this was stretched out to give Leo as much screen time as possible.

Thanks for no spoiler :)

That makes sense though, he is up for an Oscar for it.  He said it was the hardest role of his life and it almost killed him.

I watched Mr Holmes with Ian McKellen today. I really enjoyed it. A small cast, a slow paced back and forth and impeccable acting enable a rather poignant story to be told. 

I LOVE Ian McKellen!  Don't know if it's your thing or not, but he was great in X- Men.  And Patrick Stewart- YUM.