The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

:D Of course you don't! I think it's quite obvious that they've made some of the female characters (and some men, too) into very stereotypical characters :)  Don't worry!  :friends3:   

45cm snow?!? Is that usual for you guys at this early stage of winter?? Bloody hell... I think nowadays we are lucky here in Finland if we get 45cm at any moment during winter. Well, maybe not where I come from... But Helsinki is a no-snow fest usually throughout the winter. I'm not accustomed to it... So it was so odd to have proper snow in October! Loved it! But now it's gone. It's so dark :( 

Could you recommend any other Minnesota movies, by the way? I still think of Brenda and Brandon Walsh when Minnesota is mentioned, and I know loads of Finns migrated to Minnesota back in the day :)

Edit: Random fact about Minnesota (have I told you before?): 'minne' is 'where (to)' in Finnish, and 'sota' means 'war' in Finnish. So Minnesota would be understood as 'where is the war going to hit' / 'where are we going to wage a war'. Curious! 

That is interesting. I am surprised Bill Bryson didn't mention that in his books about language and place names. I don't think the ACW got up that far so I wonder if it had something to do with the earlier French/Indian war in the 18th century.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still Alice. Talk about depressing! :thud: Julianne Moore is - as always - amazing in it.

Have you read the book though.

We went to see Fantastic Beasts on Friday....loved it.

45cm snow?!? Is that usual for you guys at this early stage of winter?? Bloody hell... I think nowadays we are lucky here in Finland if we get 45cm at any moment during winter. Well, maybe not where I come from... But Helsinki is a no-snow fest usually throughout the winter. I'm not accustomed to it... So it was so odd to have proper snow in October! Loved it! But now it's gone. It's so dark :( 

Could you recommend any other Minnesota movies, by the way? I still think of Brenda and Brandon Walsh when Minnesota is mentioned, and I know loads of Finns migrated to Minnesota back in the day :)

Edit: Random fact about Minnesota (have I told you before?): 'minne' is 'where (to)' in Finnish, and 'sota' means 'war' in Finnish. So Minnesota would be understood as 'where is the war going to hit' / 'where are we going to wage a war'. Curious! 

45cm of snow in one blizzard is not an every year occurrence for us, but it's certainly not rare.  We usually get between 45-90 inches of snow in a season, which is 114-228cm.  Plus I'm living temporarily in northern MN right now and they can sometimes get more than down in the cities.  I know without a doubt that if I were one of my pioneering ancestors back in the 1800's I would have almost certainly died  :giggle: .  

I would highly recommend Fargo, Frankie, for a movie set in MN. Or any Joel and Ethan Coen film.  While they're not all set in MN, the Coen bros. grew up not far from where I did and they are masters, imo.  Also, there is a movie called Beautiful Girls which is one of my favorites.  The movie is set in Massachusetts but was filmed in MN and captures it perfectly!  I would also mention A Simple Plan, Untamed Heart, Juno, Purple Rain, and a guilty pleasure, Grumpy Old Men.

That's interesting about the what 'Minne' and 'Sota' means in Finnish, I had no idea!  We technically got the name from the Sioux Indians and it means 'sky-tinted water.'  Lots of Sioux here at one time, and still many, many lakes :D

Tonight we watched Eddie the Eagle and really enjoyed it!

Have you read the book though.

No, I haven't read the book (Still Alice). Is it any good?

I would highly recommend Fargo, Frankie, for a movie set in MN. Or any Joel and Ethan Coen film.  While they're not all set in MN, the Coen bros. grew up not far from where I did and they are masters, imo.  Also, there is a movie called Beautiful Girls which is one of my favorites.  The movie is set in Massachusetts but was filmed in MN and captures it perfectly!  I would also mention A Simple Plan, Untamed Heart, Juno, Purple Rain, and a guilty pleasure, Grumpy Old Men.

I loved A Simple Plan.....so dark and depressing...shows the worst sides of human nature.

45cm of snow in one blizzard is not an every year occurrence for us, but it's certainly not rare.  We usually get between 45-90 inches of snow in a season, which is 114-228cm.  Plus I'm living temporarily in northern MN right now and they can sometimes get more than down in the cities.  I know without a doubt that if I were one of my pioneering ancestors back in the 1800's I would have almost certainly died  :giggle: .  

Wow, 114-228 is a lot! We used to also have that every winter when I was a kid... And they still have that on most winters back where I'm from. Helsinki, not so much. I'm glad I'm going home for Christmas, because then Christmas will be white :smile2:

I'm sure had you lived in the 1800s you would've sucked it up and survived :D No doubt about it. I don't know if you would've had as much time to read (one might've burned a few books to keep the house warm... :unsure:) and you actually might not have owned many books to begin with... Isn't this a wonderful time to be living? Books and comfort! 

I've seen Fargo, and I'm in the minority: I didn't much like it. :unsure: Maybe it would be better on a second watch... Now that I know what it's like. I guess I'm just not that into the Coen brothers. Although I did watch Barton Fink, by chance, and really liked that one! 

But yeah, I might give Fargo another go at some point. And the TV series, too. Beautiful Girls is the one we've talked about before, right? The one with Natalie Portman? 

I'm going to imdb the other movies right now, thanks for the suggestions! :smile2:

That's interesting about the what 'Minne' and 'Sota' means in Finnish, I had no idea!  We technically got the name from the Sioux Indians and it means 'sky-tinted water.'  Lots of Sioux here at one time, and still many, many lakes :D

I like the 'sky-tinted water' a lot better than our war-eager translation :D :D The native Americans are a lot more peaceful than us Finns :D :D

I watched two movies yesterday: The Oranges (great cast but the movie wasn't as great as I'd been hoping) and some other one that I can't now remember :o

Edit: The other movie was Your Sister's Sister! That one I really liked. Great cast (Emily Blunt and Mark Duplass, swoon!) and good stuff. 

Edited by frankie

I saw the Anime version of Ghost In The Shell.  The concept is fantastic and very thought provoking but it was hard watching a cartoon all the way through. I am hoping the live action version will be this century's Blade Runner.  If they don't mess it up.

You can see the trailer for the upcoming film here:

Finally got round to watching Star Wars the Force Awakens.  Funny how you see so many trailers for films you think you know what is going to happen.  Was not prepared for what did, not saying too much in case others have not watched it and will do so in the future. 

Did enjoy it though.

Ghost in the Shell is an amazing anime. There's also a series that's excellent and you should see it if you like the genre. The anime and the concepts behind it are more interesting than Blade Runner. 

I did like the concept. I can't get emotionally attached to a cartoon though, and I find a lot of anime questionable (for instance there are often "adult" themes, but the protagonists are often little girls) so I don't like the genre in itself. Looking forward to this film though, there is always room for intelligent SF

Had a lazy day today and watched Finding Nemo this morning followed by Finding Dory this afternoon.  I had seen Finding Nemo before but not for a long time, so it was good watching it again before seeing the sequel.  Brilliant films and loved the fact it sort of sets up a third film (not sure if that is the plan or not but it certainly leaves it open to happen... yay!)

Edited by Autumn