The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

Yah, it is violent. :thud: Probably realistic though. I bought the book a little while ago for my Kindle; it was only £0.99. :boogie:

I think realistic was what the person telling me about it meant, by describing it as graphic. While graphic violence doesn't turn me off, I was very sensitive at the time. I think we bought on the same daily deal!

Edited to ask : do you want to read the book now?

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ending was so good that SK himself praised it and said he wished he would have thought of it. 

I'm surprised it didn't occur to him, it's not much of  a stretch from what he wrote. Such a good ending. I might have done away with the very last revelation though, it was a tiny bit overkill.

How come? They actually stayed true to the cartoon material. 

To be fair, I'm not familiar with the comic book material, but I found the acting was cheesy & bad (apart from maybe Will Smith & Margot Robbie) and the storyline was pretty uninspiring. In fact, it was like a very bad version of the Buffy episode: Graduation Day part 2. :lol:

The one plus point it had was that I didn't fall asleep in the cinema whilst watching it...and I do that a lot lately.  :giggle2:

Everything in the movie was indeed cheesy and I don't expect this trend to die, especially after Deadpool. I  am not familiar either with the comics but Harley's character appeared for the first time in Batman The Animated Series in the 90's and they stuck with her original story in the movie. She is batshit crazy and loves the Jokes so they got her character right. Other than that, the movie was kind of crappy though. So much hype for nothing. At least it's not the only disappointing movie that came out this summer *cough* Warcraft *cough*

The Last Picture Show

Cloris Leachman and Ben Johnson both won Academy Awards (best supporting actor/actress) in this movie and deservedly so. I had forgot just how good of a movie The Last Picture Show is. The acting and storyline is superb. It is a story written by Larry McMurtry and directed by Bogdanovich of a few teens in 1952 growing up in a small, more or less, dying town in rural Texas that has little to offer them. The background music throughout the movie was wonderful and sounded real like it did back then on the radio.

An absolute great movie.

We sat and watched The Equalizer with Denzel Washington over the weekend.  We so loved the tv series with Edward Woodward so thought we would give it a go.  Enjoyed it, made us smile in places and cringe in places but overall very good.

I saw the new Ben Hur movie last night. The movie was terrible compared with the 1959 movie but it was still good compared to the godawful book. Some things were changed here and there while some were simply left out. I wish the runtime would have been longer so we'd probably get more story and character development but I doubt we'll see 3h+ epics anymore. 

edit: At least I got to see Morgan Freeman.

Edited by MrCat

Watched the new version of The Jungle Book which I thought was surprisingly splendid (especially Idris Elba's Shere Khan, although I really didn't like what they did with King Louie).  It's probably going to take a long time for me to get Scarlett Johansson singing 'Trust In Me' out of my head :giggle2:

Finally got around to watching Interstellar.  Bits of it I liked, bits of it were dreadful, and I spent most of the movie trying to decipher what Matthew McConaughey was saying :doh: 

Finally got around to watching Interstellar.  Bits of it I liked, bits of it were dreadful, and I spent most of the movie trying to decipher what Matthew McConaughey was saying :doh:

He is a bit of a mumbler sometimes isn't he...

Just watched the new animated movie of The Killing Joke, the classic Alan Moore Batman comic. I heard a a lot of negative things about this adaptation before watching, but didn't think they could possibly be accurate--and I was right, because it was much, much worse. The whole first forty minutes (all new material, focusing in the worst possible way on Barbara Gordon) were even more terrible than the reviewers said, so bad that I was in a constant state of cringing and had to fast forward through much of it, basically taking peeks as I went. And the second half, though true to the comic, added absolutely nothing to it and was much less satisfying in the wake up the...thing...before it.  :o

Just watched the new animated movie of The Killing Joke, the classic Alan Moore Batman comic. I heard a a lot of negative things about this adaptation before watching, but didn't think they could possibly be accurate--and I was right, because it was much, much worse. The whole first forty minutes (all new material, focusing in the worst possible way on Barbara Gordon) were even more terrible than the reviewers said, so bad that I was in a constant state of cringing and had to fast forward through much of it, basically taking peeks as I went. And the second half, though true to the comic, added absolutely nothing to it and was much less satisfying in the wake up the...thing...before it.  :o

I purposely won't watch any more superhero movies, and haven't for a couple of years now

I always have (English)subtitles on if I can, so I can't really remember this issue. Subtitles can be a life-safer (for me) :).

I saw Cloud Atlas. It was awful , just rubbish :doh:

Is that related to the book with the same name?

Is that related to the book with the same name?

Yes by David Mitchell. I heard the book is supposed to be good but I have lost interest in reading it because the basic premise of the story doesn't interest me now . 

Edited to ask : do you want to read the book now?

Re: The Revenant. Yeah, I will read it at some point, but apparently the film differs a lot from the true story. :dunno:

Last movies I watched were Everest (very good, led to lots of interesting googling) and Dark Places (also pretty good).

I purposely won't watch any more superhero movies, and haven't for a couple of years now

There's such a glut in the market now, and only about half are any good. I enjoy graphic novels, though I'm not as avid as some people, so I like to watch some of these films, but some are just terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...