The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just watched Deadpool and 10 Cloverfield Lane. I know I'm in the minority but I thought Deadpool was utter drivel. It tried too hard to be witty and I just found it annoying. On the other hand, I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. Talk about edge-of-your-seat stuff. :thud:

I had been looking forward to watching this film as I had seen all the other ones - Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation with Tom Cruise - Simon Pegg I thought was funny in his part but all the way through I kept thinking what is wrong with Tom Cruise I don't think he got into the part as much as he usually does in this film which was a disappointment, because I kept thinking what is wrong with him it took away a bit of the enjoyment of the film.

Has anyone else watched this and what did you think.

Un homme ideal, a very dramatic French film about a novelist who is having manuscripts rejected by the publishing industry.

To earn cash he helps at a removals company. In cleaning out an old man's flat , he finds a remarkable war memoir from Algeria in the 1960s.

He takes it and passes it off as his own work.

Tremendous French drama starring Pierrre Niney and Ana Girardot.

Edited by itsmeagain

I, Anna starred Gabriel Byrne and Charlotte Rampling.  A strange, noir(ish) sort of film, 2012.  It's difficult to know what to believe about it throughout, if it were a novel, the narrator would be unreliable in the extreme.  Very well done. 

The American Side, meaning the American side of Niagara Falls.  The river and falls straddle the American/Canadian border.  The film incorporates the Falls beautifully.......man, oh man!  The story itself is rather confusing, but about halfway through it coalesces to some extent and comes up a bit.  A muddled, mystery, spy sorta thing.  Kinda meh, but just to see the Falls themselves is just about worth it. :)  There were some good actors in it, but wasted, imo. 

We also watched Touching Evil, starring Robson Green and Nicola Walker.  Nine one and a half hour shows that are about solving serial killings, or various sorts of icky crimes.  Excellent acting, well done twisty stories involving both the detectives and the crimes they are attempting to solve.

I watched "Julieta", the new film by Pedro Almodóvar. It has been criticized for being low-key and unexpressive compared to his other films, but I prefer the simple plot and understated acting. It's based on some short stories by Alice Munro I haven't read, so I don't know how well they're portrayed; but I appreciated how well he adapted the practical elements of her work in general, even if he didn't quite pass the whole experience to the screen. The film has merits of its own, such as a solid production design and good acting, and I enjoyed it as it is.

I, Anna starred Gabriel Byrne and Charlotte Rampling.  A strange, noir(ish) sort of film, 2012.  It's difficult to know what to believe about it throughout, if it were a novel, the narrator would be unreliable in the extreme.  Very well done.

Charlotte Rampling and Gabriel Byrne were in two films from last year I enjoyed, "45 Years" and "Louder Than Bombs"; I think she had a great performance in the former.

Oh? But I felt it was a brilliant film.

Depiction of the two sides of Alan Bennett very inventive I felt.

I'm a fan of Alan Bennett and Maggie Smith, but this film just annoyed me for some reason. 

I watched "Julieta", the new film by Pedro Almodóvar. It has been criticized for being low-key and unexpressive compared to his other films, but I prefer the simple plot and understated acting. It's based on some short stories by Alice Munro I haven't read, so I don't know how well they're portrayed; but I appreciated how well he adapted the practical elements of her work in general, even if he didn't quite pass the whole experience to the screen. The film has merits of its own, such as a solid production design and good acting, and I enjoyed it as it is.

Charlotte Rampling and Gabriel Byrne were in two films from last year I enjoyed, "45 Years" and "Louder Than Bombs"; I think she had a great performance in the former.

I hadn't heard of the second one, but have wanted to see 45 Years.....will at some point.  Recently we did watch an interesting, sort of biopic of Rampling, The Look.  Here is a NYT review. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/04/movies/charlotte-rampling-the-look-review.html?_r=0

Kung Fu Panda 3  :smile: . Not the best of the series, but still makes me laugh, especially the joke about his Dad didn't tell Po that wasn't his father until he was 20!!  :D A good in-joke about the very first Star Wars.

I went to see Suicide Squad two weeks ago expecting at least something decent but other than Harley's character, the movie was a complete failure. The trailers made the Joker seem like a big part of the movie when he was there just to give Harley some background. At least her story was similar to the one from the cartoons but that's not nearly enough to save the movie. Too bad, it could have been amazing. 

Star Trek Beyond - quite good. I am not a big fan of the franchise but I do like some of the movies as well as the series with Patrick Stewart. Usually in these movies the action takes place in space or in some space ship but I loved the fact that they introduced a few scenes in the city here. Oh and calling Beastie Boys classical music made me laugh a little too loud. 

The Mist. It was an okay film adaptation of an okay book (expected better special effects for 2007, though), but the ending was superb. Probably the darkest ending I've ever seen in a fictional/non-wartime film. Loved it.

Room, which I loved. Point Break remake, which I gave up on as it was rubbish. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think I'd watch it again. It must be very difficult for people who lost someone in 9/11 to watch it.

I watched The Revenant last night. I really enjoyed it....it was a bit violent though. :o

I wanted to see that, but was told it was very violent. I bought the book late last year on daily deal.