The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched an odd couple of films over the last few days - I saw Spy at the weekend which is ridiculous but a fun enough watch, although it descends into resorting to swearing about half way through and it spoiled it a bit for me - not that I mind that, but it seemed just a lazy way to move the story on.  Then yesterday afternoon watched the 1945 comedy Without Reservations with Claudette Colberg and John Wayne, and really enjoyed it, although there was one particular line which was excruciating, where the heroine makes up a story and says that her fiancé gets drunk and comes home and beats her, and the man she's talking to says "love and violence go hand in hand"  :thud:

I'm now half watching Lucky Jim, another black and white classic with Ian Carmichael. I think I've probably seen it before, but it's been quite a while so it feels like I'm watching it for the first time! :D

Caught a showing of Eye in the Sky at the weekend. Superb film, real edge of the seat stuff, some of it watched through fingers! I don't think I've been as gripped by a film for years. Both Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman (in his last film) were outstanding, but then so was the whole cast. 100% recommended (and I don't say that very often about a film!).

• 2 weeks later...

This afternoon I watched Inherent Vice, directed by P. T. Anderson. A private detective receives three cases, by a former girlfriend, a former gang member, and a widow, that all somehow relate to a real estate mogul. I really enjoyed it, but the jargon and unorganized information demanded a wikipedia read to wrap up the plot. I think Katherine Waterston has a good performance despite seldom appearing on screen, I wish she'd accept more demanding roles.

Recorded "The Two Faces of January" earlier this year and watched it last night, enjoyable with some great clothes and settings (Athens and Crete), good performances too but felt more like an episode of a TV show rather than a film, probably because it was pretty short.

Last night I saw The way way back. Ah, I really like easy going, never heard of movies, with the feel good after taste.

Love that movie, Sky29!  Sam Rockwell is just the best :D

I saw an oldie but a goodie this weekend, The Secret Garden (with John Lynch).  Brought back good memories of seeing it on Broadway, too.

I watched a horror film called Shrooms with two of my older kids, 19 and 18. My daughter guessed the twist/whole plot within the first 15 minutes (as she always does) and then we at least had fun picking up all the clues that were presented on the way along. Not brilliant. And the colour of the fake blood was totally wrong it was very orange. Will be traded in at first opportunity.

The local arts cinema is showing a selection of films by the late cinematographer Douglas Slocombe, so on a whim I went to see The Smallest Show on Earth last weekend.  It's an old black and white comedy with Bill Travers, Virginia McKenna, Peter Sellers, Margaret Rutherford and Leslie Phillips, about a young couple who inherit an old failing cinema and have to return it to profit.  Absolutely charming comic turn, and truly shows the importance of the art of cinematography with the use of light in the scenes inside the cinema itself.  The programme is running for a few more weeks, so I might go and see something else from it soon. :)  

Yesterday we watched Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. I finished the book just before watching the movie. Overall I have to say I liked the movie, but I prefer the book (but then, that usually happens if I read the book so close to watching the movie).

Yesterday we watched Deadpool. I wasn't sure beforehand if I would like it, but the film was nice enough to continue watching it. I didn't like all of the humour but I liked a lot of it. I loved all the fourth wall breaking stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we watched How to Train Your Dragon 2. I wasn't sure what I was expecting as I'd heard this one wasn't as good as the first one, and it wasn't, but it wasn't as bad as some reviews had made me believe. It was not perfect by any means, but I enjoyed watching it.

Zulu. Believe it or not I had never actually seen this before. Michael Caine was brilliant but some of the scenes were a bit dated. They should do a remake and put right the historical inaccuracies. I have Zulu Dawn to watch also.

Edited by vodkafan

Agreed. It's a very good movie. :)

I think the direction and camera work was excellent. Like when Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston go out on the meadow to fight the camera zooms right out till they are like ants and shows how insignificant  their disagreement really is. Nowadays that would be shown in ultra violent close up. Loads of marvellous camera scenes like that that really manipulate the emotions and pull you along with the story.

It was pouring rain yesterday so there was no better time then to go to the theatres. I saw Jason Bourne with my dad and my brother. I could not be more excited. I have watched the original trilogy so many times (I don't acknowledge the fourth one with Jeremy Renner) and read the Bourne Identity. It did not disappoint. The action scenes were unbelievable in their scope and the coordination involved because they lasted for long periods of time.

It was pouring rain yesterday so there was no better time then to go to the theatres. I saw Jason Bourne with my dad and my brother. I could not be more excited. I have watched the original trilogy so many times (I don't acknowledge the fourth one with Jeremy Renner) and read the Bourne Identity. It did not disappoint. The action scenes were unbelievable in their scope and the coordination involved because they lasted for long periods of time.

Good to hear. I am watching this on  friday