The Last Film You Saw - 2016

Athena

We were talking about Hail Caesar at work today, someone said there are lots of "in" jokes referring to the movie industry, and if you're not into the industry big time, or familiar with the period that it's set in, then a lot of it might go over people's heads, and that it's trying to be too clever.

I must admit the only Coen film I've liked has been Fargo, I've tried to watch some of their others and have barely lasted longer than about 30 mins, thankfully on either DVD or TV so I didn't waste money on a ticket.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hail Caesar - I did something I've never done before, I walked out of a movie. Reading reviews afterwards it would seem that die hard Coen fans love this and others really hate it, I fall into the later group.

I saw this the other day at Odeon Newbies (parent & baby screenings) with some baby group friends. There were good bits in it but it was confusing overall & seemed very bitty - mind you, the noise of other babies & the distraction of tending to my own probably didn't help. I think I'd need to see it again to form a proper opinion.

Yesterday we watched The Scorch Trials, which was nice. I think it differed from the book in a few places but I don't quite remember the book (book 2) as clearly as I remember book 1 for some reason. I enjoyed the film anyway.

San Andreas - I don't think it was billed as a comedy but we did laugh, a lot, it may well be the most unbelievable film I have ever watched. We did enjoy it, just maybe not for the right reasons! :D

We watched it last night too, and had exactly the same reaction as you!  We laughed all the way through but it was great entertainment and I'd be happy to watch it again ... there's a sequel in the works apparently. :D

We watched it last night too, and had exactly the same reaction as you! We laughed all the way through but it was great entertainment and I'd be happy to watch it again ... there's a sequel in the works apparently. :D

Excellent, we may even go to the cinema for it!! :D

Into The Woods. Didn't really hold my attention. Some of the actors/actresses I don't really like and the ones I do were sort of wasted in roles I couldn't believe in. 

That film was utterly bizzare and way too drawn out. 

Yesterday we watched Paper Towns. I haven't read the book yet (shame on me) but I liked the film :).

Glad you liked the film, although in my opinion it in no way does the book justice. It changes a few key scenes which to me completely undermined the story.

Glad you liked the film, although in my opinion it in no way does the book justice. It changes a few key scenes which to me completely undermined the story.

:o I look forward to finding out what those are, then :).

We recently watched "Fack ju Göthe 2" (Yeah I know it's not spelled correctly ;)) I thought it was really great. So funny if you like these kind of movies.

Btw: is the film also well-known in the English speaking world? In Germany it's currently one of the most famous films.

Edited by LankaDivore

Allegiant! I'm a big fan of the Divergent series and the movie didn't disappoint me. Though I could've wished to see more of Uriah...

I wonder what will happen in the 4th film. I haven't seen the third film yet, myself (I'm not so fond of the cinema).