Abielle's Book Blog of Doom 2016 Edition

AbielleRose

I had to give up on The Glassblower after about halfway through. A girl can only listen to the author repeat how women can't do anything on their own and must marry a man to have any kind of support. Its not a bad book, it just really really got on my nerves right now. I may pick it up again someday.

That would totally get on my nerves too!

I really liked Flowers for Algernon too (and Mockingjay was good too). Happy reading :).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I'm watching some Gilmore Girls. I'm on the episode where Lane and Zack get married and Lorelai is toasted. :D I love the part in the next episode when Luke comes back and gives Lorelai a little doll from Amish country and she says "Look, Patty, an Amish voo-doo doll!" :D

I was so embarrassed for Lorelai in that episode! I love it when Sookie tells her the next day about all the things she said and did. :D

I somehow got sucked back into The Glassblower. I've now finished that book plus the 2nd in the series, American Lady and am now on the final book of the trilogy Paradise of Glass. Its not a bad series now that is moved on from some very rough beginnings, but I'll be happy to finish it. Curiosity really pulled me back in despite not liking certain trigger events that happened in the first book. 

Flowers for Algernon is definitely next, Athena :D I almost feel like Charlie is an old friend since I've read it so many times.

I was so embarrassed for Lorelai in that episode! I love it when Sookie tells her the next day about all the things she said and did. :D

Me too! If I ever behaved like that (I've only been drunk 2 times in my life, and when I get drunk I just use the bathroom a lot and get sleepy, not weird and overly self confident) I would have to move to Siberia with no internet or cell phone service. 

My cat is not letting me read tonight. Its 3am and I've been reading since around 9pm. He keeps trying to lay on me and I just now put the Kindle down because he decided its time to sing. Maybe if I give him all the treats he'll leave me be.

So.... guys.... Its really really really dangerous to own a Kindle. I've discovered the "buy with one click" button on Amazon and suddenly, I have no time to second guess my cart because my cart is on my Kindle! 

That being said, I bought the ebook copy of The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (even thought I already have the hardcover... but it was on sale for 2.99 yesterday so I couldn't resist!) and Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. This one is said to be a sort of hybrid between The Hunger Games and Aladdin, so I couldn't resist that either! 

I have a few writer friends whose books I also bought but I've already read their drafts. For Never and Always by Ana J. Phoenix and Assassins - Spy Games  Book 1 by Heather Hart. They're both smut writers so don't look them up unless you like the sort of books that make you blush and look around the room to see if anyone's looking over your shoulder!

Curse you Kindle! Curse your easy access to my bank account - I mean books... 

I don't like the 'buy with one click' either to be honest. I'm not sure though if there's a way to turn it off. So I'm always very careful to put something on my wishlist first, if that is what I intend to do, rather than pressing the wrong button.

I hope you enjoy the new books :) (well, even if you've already read some).

At least you can return them if you buy them by mistake. I've actually returned books that I've read and didn't like (I know, I'm terrible.)

Is there a certain limit on it, like it must be returned within 24 hours? I thought I read something like that somewhere.

Is there a certain limit on it, like it must be returned within 24 hours? I thought I read something like that somewhere.

It's seven days, which is plenty of time for some people to get a book read! I discovered I could return the one I finished by chance, and tried it, and it worked. I suspect if someone did it on a regular basis Amazon would cop it and give them a smack somehow.

It's seven days, which is plenty of time for some people to get a book read! I discovered I could return the one I finished by chance, and tried it, and it worked. I suspect if someone did it on a regular basis Amazon would cop it and give them a smack somehow.

Ah that's quite allright. Yes, that makes a lot of sense (though I would personally not return a book unless I bought it by accident).

Ah that's quite allright. Yes, that makes a lot of sense (though I would personally not return a book unless I bought it by accident).

I would if I absolutely detested the book or if I did not finish it. Or, if I was going to replace it with a hardcopy, so that I'm not paying twice for it. I don't have the money to buy all hardcopies of books I might not like, nor the money to buy everything twice (cheaper e-copies to see if I like them and then hardcopies if I do.)

I don't like the 'buy with one click' either to be honest. I'm not sure though if there's a way to turn it off. So I'm always very careful to put something on my wishlist first, if that is what I intend to do, rather than pressing the wrong button.

I hope you enjoy the new books :) (well, even if you've already read some).

Oooh, I think I'll have to create a book wishlist today so I can do that! I ended up getting a few more late last night when I was exhausted and couldn't sleep (but in all fairness, 3 were free...) The one I paid for is Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. Its on sale today for 2.99 so not too much damage! 

Abby, Alwyn is on Twitter, and I met her briefly at YALC last year, and she is the loveliest person! I've started her book, but haven't gotten back to it, because I'm not in the right frame of mind for it.. but it started well. :)

Jealous! I follow her on Twitter, too, and she has such a fun personality on there. One of the other authors I follow was pimping her book just before the release a couple weeks ago and I've been waiting and waiting for it! I'm loving it so far! :D Hope you can get back into it.

At least you can return them if you buy them by mistake. I've actually returned books that I've read and didn't like (I know, I'm terrible.)

I had no idea you could return books on there! 

This week is going to be a long, icky one so I'm downloading a few more books to my Kindle. I'll spend the majority of Wednesday and Thursday at the hospital having a few procedures done so I downloaded the new Cassandra Clare book Lady Midnight on Audible. I want one more audiobook to add but haven't yet decided on which (I'll probably be very drugged up so I'm expecting audiobooks to be better for this.) 

I'm having a hard time resisting Lady Midnight tonight. It looks so good! 

• 3 months later...

I'm so lost with this thread that I don't even feel like going back to add the books I've read above, lol. I'm somewhat keeping up with them on Goodreads, but since my mojo has come back I've just sort of been going and going and going. 

The last book I finished was This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab and it was absolutely fantastic! I love how she incorporates 3 types of beasts into her novel (you can really see how the dementors from HP inspired parts) and how the monster male MC had more humanity than many humans. I'm really excited for her to write the next book, but sad it'll only be a 2 book series. This world is really interesting and I'd love to hang around in it more than for just 2 books' time.

Today I received my copies of Beth Revis's A World Without You and Neil Gaiman's Coraline (the graphic novel version). I'm in the middle of Kiersten White's And I Darken right now so as soon as I finish that today I'm going to dive right into AWWY. 

Thanks! Yes, and she just announced today that Sony optioned it!!! I'm sure it'll be years before a movie is made, but knowing its possible makes me so happy! :D 

And I Darken is great so far. The MC, Lada, has an incredibly strong voice and is very unique next to other YA MCs. Have you read it yet? 

Thanks! Yes, and she just announced today that Sony optioned it!!! I'm sure it'll be years before a movie is made, but knowing its possible makes me so happy! :D 

And I Darken is great so far. The MC, Lada, has an incredibly strong voice and is very unique next to other YA MCs. Have you read it yet?

That sounds cool!!

I'm glad you're enjoying And I Darken. No, I don't own it yet. I prefer medium or small sized paperbacks, and And I Darken doesn't have a paperback available in that size, yet, because it's a new release.

The last book I finished was This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab and it was absolutely fantastic! I love how she incorporates 3 types of beasts into her novel (you can really see how the dementors from HP inspired parts) and how the monster male MC had more humanity than many humans. I'm really excited for her to write the next book, but sad it'll only be a 2 book series. This world is really interesting and I'd love to hang around in it more than for just 2 books' time.

I forgot, did you say whether you'd read any of her others? She's going to YALC this year, so excited to meet her, and get a couple of mine signed! 

Gaia, really? I actually really don't care for paperbacks (just because it makes me sad seeing the wear on the covers or seeing the spines get cracky and broken). 

Michelle, I have A Darker Shade of Magic but haven't read it yet. its on my list, though (I have it as an audiobook). I'm so jealous you get to meet her and get your books signed! She's such a great writer, I can't wait for more of her books. :D I know ADSOM has great reviews so I'm excited. :D

There are just too many good books coming out this summer. I honestly can't keep up. :D

Gaia, really? I actually really don't care for paperbacks (just because it makes me sad seeing the wear on the covers or seeing the spines get cracky and broken).

I can't stand dust jackets. I like it when the cover of a book looks all pretty. It's so awkward to read a book with a dust jacket on, I always struggle with it. I know people say to take it off, but then the book usually looks rubbish. I like my cover to look pretty, with the cover image on the book. Also hardcovers are usually bigger and I have small(er) hands so I prefer it when my book isn't too big. I do own some hardcovers that I bought on a sale, and some books I've been given as gifts. It's not going to keep me from reading it, but I'll generally be less likely to pick that book to read because it feels more uncomfortable. Books though that have a hardback cover but don't have dustjackets, I don't have a problem with those. Many of my ex-library books have such covers (as do the library books themselves of course). But if I'm going to spend lots of money on a book, then I want it to be in a format I prefer (unless, after several years of waiting, it turns out there isn't going to be any paperback).

Hardcovers are almost always more expensive too, so if I wait a while I get a book in my preferred format for less money. On occasion I have picked up a hardcover when I found one really cheap, but most of my collection are small to medium sized paperbacks. I don't mind the wait because I'll know it'll be worth waiting for my preferred format. Most of my paperbacks are in an allright condition really. I don't mind a broken spine, it makes the book look read (though, I do prefer it if it's me that breaks the spine if I bought the book brand new, but with used books it's not an issue.). Not all my read paperbacks have broken spines though, and the covers usually look pretty good still.

Lots of people I know (ie. on YouTube) much prefer hardcovers. Yes, I do wish that the medium sized (or small sized; but if I had to pick I'd pick the medium sized one, the one that's about 20 cm tall) paperbacks were released at the same time as the hardcover (and I'm cheering when the delay isn't so bad), but I do prefer to wait. I'm also not a big fan of reading on my e-reader, so I'm also less likely to pick one of my e-books to read (unless it's a short story or novella and I know I can finish it quickly). I can't stand reading too long on my e-reader.

I'm fussy haha :blush2:.

• 3 weeks later...