Abielle's Book Blog of Doom 2016 Edition

AbielleRose

My TBR pile is HUGE. I must start 2016 off on a good bookworm note and make my list of books and goals. 

Goal 1: DON'T BUY ANY MORE BOOKS UNTIL I'VE READ 5 ON MY ALREADY OWNED PILE OF DOOM.

Goal 2: READ AT LEAST 3-4 BOOKS A MONTH (Roughly 1 a week).

I'm just hoping I can stick to those goals for now. If they go well, I'll probably add more. :D

Edited by AbielleRose

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently Reading: (Updated 2/26

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning 

TBR Pile:

The Glassblower Trilogy by Petra Durst-Benning 

A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano

Paper Towns by John Green

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

Wither Lauren DeStefano

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Cosmos by Carl Sagan

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Dracula: The Undead by Dacre Stoker

Chime by Franny Billingsley

Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding

Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

A Discovery of Witches by Debra Harkness

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Wishlist:

Legend by Marie Lu

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Champion by Marie Lu

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnson

Paper Hearts by Beth Revis

Game of Thrones Leather Boxed Set (**SWOON**) by George R. R. Martin

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Illustrated Edition by J.K. Rowling, Jim Kay

Re-Reads:

Harry Potter books 1-7 by J.K. Rowling

(Read books: 1,2 as of 2/26)

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Coloring Book Wishlist: 

(I had to, I love them!)

Secret Garden by Johanna Basford

Harry Potter by Scholastic

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Doctor Who by Price Stem Sloan

Books Read:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

(I'll be working on these lists today, January 1st, so they are by no means complete! :D If you have any suggestions for good reads, please feel free to suggest away!)

*read books updated in green

Edited by AbielleRose

Hey Abs. Don't put yourself under pressure to read when you're not feeling it, I think that's how I've killed my mojo in previous years - but DO pick up a book every day and try to do even five minutes. If you're not feeling it, put the book back down. If you are, keep going. Sometimes I think I'm not feeling it until I pick the book up for the five minutes, and then I realise I want to keep reading for an hour. That's how I kept my mojo going this year.

Pro tips yo.

I want the Doctor Who and Harry Potter colouring books too! And a Christmas one :D And those curse word pages.

Thanks Lara! 

Noll, the curse word pages are on Etsy! I bought one of them (you can buy them as a lot to download or page by page) and loooove it. :D The "phrase" is the one you wrote in my Christmas card if you can remember. ;) 

LOL, Its hard to keep track sometimes! Every time I've made a thread for the new year on this forum I've given up a few months in on keeping it properly updated. This year I plan to try my hardest and get involved at the library, even. If my reading mojo is being finnicky, I plan to borrow books on CD there! 

I love your thread on reading graphic novels, Michelle. I have a couple, but I'm not really that into anime or super hero ones, so I have Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility as a GN, lol. The other is a super cutesy angel manga that I can't remember the name of but bought because the art was so beautiful. I do own Watchmen but couldn't get more than a few pages into it. It just wasn't my sort of thing.

That's why I'm starting off by exploring a few different types, and seeing what I discover. For example, I will be collecting and keeping The Sandman series, but any Doctor Who / Star Wars etc will probably come from the library. I too don't like anime / Manga, and I've never really been attracted to the super hero ones.. although I will try a few if they're in the library. 

I wish you happy reading in 2016, Abby :readingtwo:!

Hey Abs. Don't put yourself under pressure to read when you're not feeling it, I think that's how I've killed my mojo in previous years - but DO pick up a book every day and try to do even five minutes. If you're not feeling it, put the book back down. If you are, keep going. Sometimes I think I'm not feeling it until I pick the book up for the five minutes, and then I realise I want to keep reading for an hour. That's how I kept my mojo going this year.

Pro tips yo.

This is a good tip :yes:.

Hi Abbielle Rose, Good luck with your reading this year. I have read two from your TBR: Stardust (great) and Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (pretty good). I don't hold out much hope for the film of the latter though, after seeing the trailer....

Hey VF!! Yeah, the main reason PP&Z is on my list is because I want to see it before the film drops. I missed the ball on some amazing recent book to movie stories (I love the Hunger Games and Divergent series' but refuse to read the books now until I see the last film... been waiting SO LONG!) 

I should definitely get the book in first, opinions differ  but I enjoyed it and found it a refreshing spin on the original with quite a lot of delicious humour. 

I suspect the film looks to have dumped all that and has ended up just a violent horror film with 21st century women in corsets, explosions and a smattering of Regency expressions to fool the hard of thinking

Edited by vodkafan

Yeah, I love horror but not the shock value gore kind. I love the mind games kind of horror that really makes you think. Like, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Its just all blood, no real plot. I'm hoping they do this one well because its been a while since I've seen a good horror with a plot.

Happy Reading in 2016 Abby! :) 

Good luck with your goals .. try not to be too down on yourself though. Book buying is what we do best and your pile seems quite manageable. For a start, with a fair wind behind you, I reckon you could read The Ocean at the End of the Lane by suppertime :D  

Happy reading in 2016, Abby! Hope to see you around the forum lots. You have a lot of great books to read (and many that I hope will be good reads, because I want to read them too!) I wish you a happy and healthy year.  :friends3:

Thanks so much, guys! I know I've been away a lot the last year, but this place will always be my internet home <3 

Its going to be cold as Hoth here this weekend so I'll be wrapped up in my books with no plans to take the car out of the garage! Hoping to do a good marathon read at least one day. :D 

Maybe I will do The Oceans at the End of the Lane since it is rather smallish. ;)