What's Up in January 2016?

Kylie

Yes it does sound like the battery needs replacing, but why does it always decide to start beeping in the early hours?  Ours usually does it around 4.00 am!  Just replaced it though when it ran out over Xmas.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It stopped beeping again after that, I managed to get another hour or so of sleep. I was so disorientated by being half asleep that I don't even remember writing that post, but I remember lying in bed with my heart jumping every time the smoke alarm went because I thought it might be the house alarm starting! I'll get a battery next weekend when I'm in town.

Ugh, a dying fire alarm has to be one of the most annoying sounds in the galaxy! I actually took my battery out because the idiot who designed my tiny apartment put it 5 feet from the stove, so if I so much as boiled water it would go off! 

Abby, that must be so annoying :(. What a stupid design!

Our old fire alarm would go off if we cooked certain things. Then, at some point, it wouldn't stop ringing even though there was no smoke in the room. It wasn't the battery because with a new battery it wouldn't stop making noise either. We got a new fire alarm then and this one works much better. So far it's only gone off when the room was quite smoky (from either cooking or the wood heater).

Abby, that must be so annoying :(. What a stupid design!

Our old fire alarm would go off if we cooked certain things. Then, at some point, it wouldn't stop ringing even though there was no smoke in the room. It wasn't the battery because with a new battery it wouldn't stop making noise either. We got a new fire alarm then and this one works much better. So far it's only gone off when the room was quite smoky (from either cooking or the wood heater).

Hahaha I'm so sorry but that just sounds like some kind of cartoon skit. Take the battery out to stop the endless beeping, put in new battery and it just starts right up again. What a nightmare!

Yep we were told not to put our alarm in the kitchen as it would go off all the time (especially the number of times I burn the toast!)

I've provoked quite the discussion on smoke alarms haven't I! Agreed, kitchen is a terrible place for one. Mine is attached to the side up of the upstairs landing floor. As in, when you're going up the stairs, you walk up past it.

Mine didn't start beeping again until 7pm last night, and stopped a couple of hours before I went to sleep. I suppose that's something!

Hahaha I'm so sorry but that just sounds like some kind of cartoon skit. Take the battery out to stop the endless beeping, put in new battery and it just starts right up again. What a nightmare!

Haha, it was a pain! But I'm glad it's all fixed now.

I've provoked quite the discussion on smoke alarms haven't I!

Yep, but it's entertaining :).

I've just made a lot of appointments for things like the opticians, getting my passport renewed, and a few other things. A lot going on in the next while.

$1.3 billion?! Wow, that is an insane amount of money. I was just saying to my boyfriend yesterday, when we talked about it, wouldn't it be better if they took ~1000 people and gave them 1$ million each? I mean, that would mean you have a higher chance of winning the lottery.

We always say that!  Part of the money is supposed to go to schools, but I don't know the percentage.  Also, the store that sells the winning ticket gets a small part.  But ya, after taxes, it would be like, 450 million dollars.  I've had such bad luck this week, I didn't think I should buy one :P

I've provoked quite the discussion on smoke alarms haven't I! Agreed, kitchen is a terrible place for one. Mine is attached to the side up of the upstairs landing floor. As in, when you're going up the stairs, you walk up past it.

:giggle2:  It's been entertaining for sure!  I wish you good luck in this situation :giggle2: We have no batteries in ours just because.  :P  They used to suggest changing out the batteries when the time changes, as then it will be done twice a year.

We've been putting money in the Lottery pool for the past week and a half here at work.  Our odds are so bad they don't even worry about an entire department quitting because they won all this money! :lol:

My week has been good so far.  It's bitterly cold here (well below zero) but luckily tomorrow it's going to be in the teens!  Yahoo!  This past Saturday I went out for lunch with some friends and I had a pastie for the very first time in my life!  It was heavenly and an excellent cheat meal ;).  After that I got my first tattoo, so it was a weekend of firsts for sure!  I'll have to post a photo of it in my blog.  

I hope the smoke detector issues get fixed!  And that your appt went well, Abby.

My week has been good so far.  It's bitterly cold here (well below zero) but luckily tomorrow it's going to be in the teens!  Yahoo!  This past Saturday I went out for lunch with some friends and I had a pastie for the very first time in my life!  It was heavenly and an excellent cheat meal ;).  After that I got my first tattoo, so it was a weekend of firsts for sure!  I'll have to post a photo of it in my blog.  

It's been very cold here too- not as cold as you, but still cold enough I had to wear two pairs of fleece leggings!  I can't wait to see a picture of your first tattoo and hear about the experience.  I have 8 :)

We've been putting money in the Lottery pool for the past week and a half here at work.  Our odds are so bad they don't even worry about an entire department quitting because they won all this money! :lol:

I hope the smoke detector issues get fixed!  And that your appt went well, Abby.

Thanks all for the appointment well-wishes :) <3

Ugh, thank GOODNESS its warming up a bit tomorrow! Kind of sad when 19 f is a heatwave, though! Tattoos are awesome :D What did you get?

:23_sing: "We're having a heatwave, a tropical heatwave..."

Yes, I'm soaking up the warmth today before this weekend when it's going to be -0 city!

The tattoo I got is the phrase 'tempus fugit' with a little paper airplane next to it :)  I'll post a photo in my thread.

Had to work late tonight, and when I walked to the car to go home, found I had to defrost it.   :cold:  Only just freezing, so didn't take long, but I think that's the first time I've had to do it when I left work as opposed to on my way to work!

Almost time for bed now, so not much of an evening, and I'm looking forward to an early finish at work tomorrow already :lol:

I hope everyone has a nice weekend coming up :).

You, too! Any big plans? 

I'm trying to make sure I have everything electronic done that I need before going tech-free for tomorrow. I miss the days when we didn't have to prepare for a day without computers or phones *sigh* (but not too much because without a computer there's no BCF :D )

You, too! Any big plans? 

I'm trying to make sure I have everything electronic done that I need before going tech-free for tomorrow. I miss the days when we didn't have to prepare for a day without computers or phones *sigh* (but not too much because without a computer there's no BCF :D )

I hope you have a good weekend :).

We're going into town (I'm picking up library reservations!) and we're celebrating my mum's birthday this weekend. y grandparents and aunt and uncle will come for lunch and my brother and his girlfriend are coming over for dinner. If the weather is good, I'll be getting a new sofa too. My grandparents got a new one and they're giving me their old one. I hope the weather will allow for the transportation of it, fingers crossed.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend coming up :).

Have a lovely weekend! :)

---

I'm enjoying that it's Saturday and I get to stay in bed a bit longer - got home from work around 8.30 last night (Fridays we close the office at 4.30!). I'm viewing a flat in a few hours, other than that plan on doing nothing all day! 

I'm returning home tomorrow, due to circumstances I didn't know beforehand. I like it here, but this kind of thing doesn't concern me as it did before. The restlessness doesn't end, though.

I am sorry to hear that, I know you were looking forward to some new experiences.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr.'s observed birthday, a national holiday.  I taught my 7 year old about slavery, discrimination, segregation, the bus boycott in Alabama and played her part of his I Have a Dream speech.  It was a wonderful experience teaching her.  We also started Goosebumps: Night of the Living Dummy (130 some pages :o )

Have a lovely weekend! :)

Thanks, I did! I hope you did too :).

I'm returning home tomorrow, due to circumstances I didn't know beforehand. I like it here, but this kind of thing doesn't concern me as it did before. The restlessness doesn't end, though.

I'm sorry to hear this :(.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr.'s observed birthday, a national holiday. I taught my 7 year old about slavery, discrimination, segregation, the bus boycott in Alabama and played her part of his I Have a Dream speech. It was a wonderful experience teaching her. We also started Goosebumps: Night of the Living Dummy (130 some pages :o )

It's nice you taught her those things. I didn't tell you yet, but the road nearby here, at the mini-tunnel, I think it's got "Martin Luther King Jr." written on the side :). I hope she enjoys the Goosebumps book.

Yesterday I had my picture taken, and I had an appointment to renew my passport and driver's licence, I'm picking the new ones up next week. After that I went for a long walk. In the afternoon I worked hard at cleaning up the attic with my dad. I threw away some things and I kept some things. I threw away more than I kept, which is a rarity for me. In the later afternoon I continued with organising my books, I wanted to move some books on shelves around, I started with it on Monday. I managed to finish it all yesterday. I felt so tired after all that, it had been a tiring day both physically and mentally. My feet ached so much. They still do a bit.

I look forward to taking it a bit slower today and to, for part of the day, sit on the sofa and read. I do have an appointment first though.