What's Up in January 2016?

Kylie

:006:  I've always wanted to make a quilt, what colors are you using?  Are you doing a design or blocks?  I am into crocheting, but just started like you.  Started a scarf a few days ago, I only pick it up in between other things I am doing, so it doesn't go very fast :lol:  Very impressed you are reading patterns, I find that very difficult in crochet.

Sorry, I meant paper quilling (two LLs, no T).  Its where you twirl strips of paper into circles, or various shapes, and then make pretty pictures out of it.  Very much easier than quilTing!  So far I've tried to make a few circles, but found it much more difficult than it looks - they don't come out even, and don't look anything like they should.  I'm hoping it will get easier with time - and if not, well the paper strips make good cat toys.   I read a book recently that said you should use every part of your brain (Better with Age, The Ultimate Guide to Brain Training by Phyllis Strupp), and I realised I did nothing in the artistic area - hence the new hobby.  

Good luck with your crocheting - a lovely thing to be able to do, and how wonderful to wear your own creations!  

Back at work for a couple of days and already can't wait for the weekend. Had an interesting journey home ... a double decker bus decided to do a three point turn (which ended up probably at least a seven point turn) while waiting in traffic lights at roadworks. :roll:  Fortunately he managed it without too much fuss, and only held us up for a minute or two, but you can imagine the looks on drivers faces as they were held up after having just sat waiting for traffic lights to let them through!  

Your bus story made my laugh Chesilbeach - just what you need at rush hour!  (By the way Chesil Beach is also one of my favourite places - been visiting the area since I was born, and no visit is complete without a walk along Chesil Beach :smile: ).  

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I meant paper quilling (two LLs, no T).  Its where you twirl strips of paper into circles, or various shapes, and then make pretty pictures out of it.  Very much easier than quilTing!  So far I've tried to make a few circles, but found it much more difficult than it looks - they don't come out even, and don't look anything like they should.  I'm hoping it will get easier with time - and if not, well the paper strips make good cat toys.   I read a book recently that said you should use every part of your brain (Better with Age, The Ultimate Guide to Brain Training by Phyllis Strupp), and I realised I did nothing in the artistic area - hence the new hobby.  

Good luck with your crocheting - a lovely thing to be able to do, and how wonderful to wear your own creations!   

:doh: I totally misunderstood, just excited about crafts :giggle2: I've never heard of quilling before, it sounds neat!  I started crocheting (and knitting but that was really hard) for the same reason.

Well, my scarf will probably be done my next winter :lol:   Just kidding, I am hoping for spring :lol:

Quilling is beautiful but I don't have the patience for it. :D Anna, I'm the opposite of you! I knit but can't figure out crochet to save my life!  :giggle:

This week has been really long and icky, but things are finally getting better. I didn't realize just how icky the infection in my foot had gotten, but now that I'm pumped full of antibiotics and its getting better I'm so happy to see it was the fever that had me so down. I never realize just how much a fever effects me until afterwards. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be even better and I can go to the gym and walk for a bit! :D

I'm in Anna's crocheting camp!  I love doing it but have had an afghan half-done for ages.  I've never tried knitting but would love to give it a go.

Glad you're feeling better and got some meds, Abby!  What kind of stuff do you like to do at the gym?

I worked a short day yesterday and hit the gym last night.  This morning I drove out to meet the people I will be house/dog sitting for in March, for 10 days.  The have a very sweet Brittney Spaniel named 'Chuckles' :lol:  Afterwards I met my friend for an early dinner.  Tomorrow I'm staying home so I can get things done!  Have a good weekend, everyone! :D

This week has been really long and icky, but things are finally getting better. I didn't realize just how icky the infection in my foot had gotten, but now that I'm pumped full of antibiotics and its getting better I'm so happy to see it was the fever that had me so down. I never realize just how much a fever effects me until afterwards. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be even better and I can go to the gym and walk for a bit! :D

I'm glad your foot is getting better :)

I worked a short day yesterday and hit the gym last night.  This morning I drove out to meet the people I will be house/dog sitting for in March, for 10 days.  The have a very sweet Brittney Spaniel named 'Chuckles' :lol:  Afterwards I met my friend for an early dinner.  Tomorrow I'm staying home so I can get things done!  Have a good weekend, everyone! :D

I hope you have fun dog sitting! Chuckles sounds like a good name for a dog :). I hope you have a good weekend, too!

Yesterday I went to a library sale in a town nearby and bought lots of nice books. Then we went into this huge pet shop in that town to buy a new collar for Boris (his collar broke). It was a really nice pet shop, they had so many different things. Then we drove to our own town and I loaned books from the library, I picked up some reservations and I loaned books for the upcoming read-a-thon weekend (they are children's books, whereas the books I bought at the sale were mainly books for teenagers and adults) and I loaned a few other ones too (I can't help myself :giggle2:). Yesterday in the later afternoon I worked on the attic for a little while (not too long because I was tired from going out earlier in the day), we're making great progress with the boxes. I plan to work more on it today. Today I also plan to catalogue some books. My dad found some of my old books on the attic a few days ago, some of the ones I'd been looking for, and I catalogued those over the past few days. My new glasses have arrived at the optician's, so tomorrow we will go and bring my current pair of glasses there, so they can put the new ones in (English really needs to make a distinction here between the frame + glasses (what you might call a pair of glasses) and just the glass bits (the two bits for the two eyes, like we do in Dutch, 'bril' vs. 'brillenglazen' (of 'glazen'))). Michael and I had our anniversary a few days ago, and we will go out for dinner soon to celebrate this (we did celebrate it on the anniversary day itself by making cake and having a nice dinner at home, and watching a nice film together).

Hi!!

I passed my English Test!!!! I'm so happy because I thought I would fail!!!! So now I have the Advanced of Cambridge Certification (C1)!!

This week was a bit awful for me because I had an infection in my groin because of a tiny hair that keept under the skin (I don't know how to say it in English, in Spanish the verb is "enquistar" so if anyone speaks Spanish please tell me how to say it correctly) and I had a lot of pain, I barely could walk so I went to the doctor and I had to take some painkillers and one antibiotics and finally I think it's getting better! Now I can walk normaly but sometimes it hurts because the wound is healing. So I couldn't do nothing, I stayed at home and that's it.

Next Wednesday it's my birthday!!! I'm turning 26! I think I will go out to have dinner with my parents, my friends have to study and work so I think I will celebrate it on the next weekend.

I'm designing my website and re-designing some projects to have a better portfolio so I'm a bit bussy because I want to finish it as soon as possible. And I'm still looking for a job, meanwhile I'm doing some online courses about web programming and design.

Athenea How nice that you found a good collar!!

Abbie I'm glad that you are better!!

How are people in USA? I watched on the news that you had a terrible snow storm.

Sabry, congratulations on passing your English test!!!!! :flowers2:

I hope you feel better soon, the infection sounds nasty :(.

I hope you will have a great birthday :)!

We have our new 'curtain' to keep the cold outside the outside door (so the 'curtain' / tapestry hangs on the inside of the door, in the tiny hallway). I'm very excited about it :exc:! Here is a picture:

DSC04456_0.25.jpg

EDIT: Two girls found two dogs without owners walking on the roundabout in our street. They asked if the dogs were ours, and I said no. I used some leashes and a collar and together we held the dogs and waited for the vetenary ambulance. They were sweet dogs, they clearly belonged together and they were friendly. I hope the ambulance people find the owner(s). I feel all cold now from waiting in the cold for half an hour, but it's small price to pay if it means the dogs are safe.

Edited by Athena

My new glasses have arrived at the optician's, so tomorrow we will go and bring my current pair of glasses there, so they can put the new ones in (English really needs to make a distinction here between the frame + glasses (what you might call a pair of glasses) and just the glass bits (the two bits for the two eyes, like we do in Dutch, 'bril' vs. 'brillenglazen' (of 'glazen'))). 

We do, the glass bits are called lenses! Frames and lenses make glasses! :lol: That curtain is awesome!

Abby, glad you're starting to feel better.

Sabry, congrats on passing your test!

I'm very tired because I've had prospective tenants viewing my house all day. Think we've had 11 so far with another 5 or 6 to go this evening from half 6 onwards. There were tons more who couldn't make it today, but we're hoping to make a decision by the end of the day. There were two rooms available, but I chose one tenant already (an American student named Cat, who is an introvert like me), so she'll be moving in later this week. 

The house didn't even go online til yesterday, so I had no idea that this was going to be happening this weekend! So stressful, I was having nightmares about it last night. 

We do, the glass bits are called lenses! Frames and lenses make glasses! :lol: That curtain is awesome!

Ah I didn't know that, thanks :)! I will go and pick them up in an hour-ish. Thank you, I'm very happy with the curtain :).

I'm very tired because I've had prospective tenants viewing my house all day. Think we've had 11 so far with another 5 or 6 to go this evening from half 6 onwards. There were tons more who couldn't make it today, but we're hoping to make a decision by the end of the day. There were two rooms available, but I chose one tenant already (an American student named Cat, who is an introvert like me), so she'll be moving in later this week. 

The house didn't even go online til yesterday, so I had no idea that this was going to be happening this weekend! So stressful, I was having nightmares about it last night.

This sounds very stressful :empathy:. I hope you feel better soon!

This sounds very stressful :empathy:. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, it was and still is. I picked a second guy named Raj who also works at the university I work at. There were so many people that I don't remember him too well, but I remember thinking he seemed a bit better than most of the others. I am pretty picky about people, so I didn't like most of the people who visited.

Woke up at 5am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep because I was thinking about everything that's happening. Feel sick at the moment after my breakfast, not sure if it's the food or what.

Woke up at 5am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep because I was thinking about everything that's happening. Feel sick at the moment after my breakfast, not sure if it's the food or what.

:flowers2: You went through a lot this weekend!

I was up at 5:00ish too, my dog almost died this weekend and my kid came down with the flu.  So ya.  Fun and games.

Thanks all of you!!

Athenea that curtain is great!!! I feel better, I have a small pain sometines in the wound but it's not a big deal.

Nollaig I hope you fell better now, it's sounds very stressful

Anna I'm sorry about your dog! I hope it will recover soon