What's Up in January 2016?

Kylie

Happy New Year everyone!  :party:

How did you ring in the new year? I was happy to have a quiet one at home by myself. I watched the Sydney fireworks on TV and tried to comfort my cat when (illegal) fireworks went off close to my house. Straight back to work for me today.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been watching Mrs. Brown's Boys all evening. Stopped round midnight to look out the window and watch the fireworks I could see from my room. Some sky lanterns floating around too. Not really a fan of New Year's.

Gonna do a bit of reading before sleep :)

We watched Interstellar and at midnight we went outside to see some of the fireworks. At some point I'd had enough (I really don't like the loud bangs) so I went back inside and tried to get to sleep. I couldn't sleep straight away because it was so noisy outside, so instead I watched part of a special feature on the Interstellar disc. At some point I felt pretty sleepy so I went to sleep. I was able to sleep a bit later than normally in the morning, but my biorhythym woke me up not too late, so I feel pretty tired from getting less sleep than usually. I guess today will be a bit of a slower day in that sense. It's quite quiet outside, I don't see anyone on the street and there are very little noises aside from bird songs. What a relief after last night. NYE isn't my favourite time of year to be honest, too many loud bangs.

I was very boring, and didn't do anything. I ended up going to bed with my Kindle at about 11.30pm. I heard loads of fireworks going off, but couldn't be bothered getting up, going into the other room to get my glasses, etc. I was too comfy where I was. :D

For context, in the Netherlands there's a poor custom of people releasing their own fireworks on new year's eve, I don't know if it's legal. Yesterday they were released all day long. I think the fireworks are inconsiderate for a place with so many animals. Usually I see a lot of people walking their dogs, but yesterday I only saw two persons walking them and the dogs were uncomfortable.

Edited by woolf woolf

I picked my eldest up from the NYE party at 9.30 this morning!  :o  :giggle2:  I've had a nice walk with the dogs, a relaxing, healthy breakfast and am now taking Robbie to see the new Star Wars film, prior to the school holidays he hadn't seen any of the series but he has methodically watched them all over the course of the last week or so, I think he deserves a reward for his efforts! :D 

Happy New Year everyone.  We'd been out most of the day, so just had a quiet night in yesterday.  Fell asleep in front of the telly and woke up when all the fireworks started at midnight.  Lazy morning today finishing off the book I was reading, then out for coffee, food shopping and a visit to my dad.  Planning to write up all my end of year book lists this afternoon, play some games and then hoping to watch a film this evening.

Happy New Year to all! We stayed in, and hubby gave up 20 minutes before midnight and went to bed! I now wish I'd done so too, because I woke with a headache this morning. If I miss out on sleep I feel hungover, without even a drop of alcohol - not fair! ;-)

For context, in the Netherlands there's a poor custom of people releasing their own fireworks on new year's eve, I don't know if it's legal. Yesterday they were released all day long. I think the fireworks are inconsiderate for a place with so many animals. Usually I see a lot of people walking their dogs, but yesterday I only saw two persons walking them and the dogs were uncomfortable.

You are allowed to set off fireworks I believe on December 31rst and January 1rst. You're not allowed to set them off in October like has been happening here. It's quite hard on the animals. Our dogs barked a lot and it was also uncomfortable for our chicken and goats, they have no idea what's going on. I kind of wish the government would just do fireworks displays themselves and make it illegal for individual people to set off fireworks (and have them not be sold in shops anymore). I really don't like the loud bangs, so New Year's is always trying for me too. It's definitely not my favourite time of the year.

I've been up since around 1:30am. Some drunk guy in Texas kept calling me (he's called 5 times) for a ride home from the bar. I did block his number, finally. I'm hyped up on coffee and about to dig into some cleaning since a friend is coming over later to write. I'm hoping to borrow the Harry Potter books from her so I can do a marathon reread of them. I've been craving reading them all night long!

Hey y'all!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I'm late, its who I am  ;) My New Years Resolution is to embrace the madness of me.

Glad to "see" you Abbey!

Glad your kitty made it home Michelle!

Congrats on passing your exams Sabry! 

I'm sure I missed others but the spirit of good will is here  :smile:

Nothing much going on here. Christmas was interesting to say the least. Unexpected family things that popped up and all. New Years was spent doing laundry, wrestling the minions, that type of stuff. My holidays seem to resemble every other day. Not sure if thats good or bad but it is what it is. Not too many complaints.

Got lots of books set aside to read during the winter and a new adult coloring book to wile away the hours (yeah right!) and plenty of little ones under foot. Seeing as I'm out of the workforce indefinitely I need to find something that gives me my own sense of identity that is separate from being grandmommy. 

Supposed to take the kids to the library but I'm not brave enough to take 5 kids out (3 of which need to be strolled) and its cold outside, so... we'll see. Maybe when hubby wakes up I'll take the older boys to see Star Wars! Of course there's always reading  :giggle2:

Have a great day everyone!

Happy New Reading Year to all!  :D

We were quiet, stay at homers.  Watched the Times Square Ball drop on CBSN (on Fire Stick).  There was lots of coverage of that hotel fire in Dubai a couple of hours before their midnight.  But they went ahead with their fireworks display at that huge, tallest in the world skyscraper only a few blocks away from that raging, and I do mean raging inferno.  Fortunately only 14 injuries, but one death.....heart attack during the evacuation. 

One of the songs played at Times Square was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg  by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Over The Rainbow & What A Wonderful World - 1993. He is (was) really marvelous!!

Out here in the country, there was no hint of fireworks, totally dark. 

We watched Interstellar and at midnight we went outside to see some of the fireworks. At some point I'd had enough (I really don't like the loud bangs) so I went back inside and tried to get to sleep. I couldn't sleep straight away because it was so noisy outside, so instead I watched part of a special feature on the Interstellar disc. At some point I felt pretty sleepy so I went to sleep. I was able to sleep a bit later than normally in the morning, but my biorhythym woke me up not too late, so I feel pretty tired from getting less sleep than usually. I guess today will be a bit of a slower day in that sense. It's quite quiet outside, I don't see anyone on the street and there are very little noises aside from bird songs. What a relief after last night. NYE isn't my favourite time of year to be honest, too many loud bangs.

We loved Interstellar!    Even bought the book The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne.  Well done!

Edited by pontalba

Happy New Year all!

We had a quiet new year too, just staying in with a few drinks watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year. We normally spend it at our friends in Doncaster, who have also got young kids, but what with a new baby & new dog, it would have been too trying to get up there & organise a dog sitter.

After a few days of my hubby being at home off work & my eldest in nursery though, we've finally managed to get the bookcases & books in the house! We had a bit of a cull as we went along too, but had to be quite brutal cos of running out of space! Still, I feel much happier about being able to look at our collection & pick out books to read now. :)

I've been up since around 1:30am. Some drunk guy in Texas kept calling me (he's called 5 times) for a ride home from the bar. I did block his number, finally.

I am sorry, but that is hilarious!  :giggle2:

One of the songs played at Times Square was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg  by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Over The Rainbow & What A Wonderful World - 1993. He is (was) really marvelous!!

I heard this too and was happy they played it, I love the version.... we bought the CD when we were in Kauai and listened to it the whole trip :)

I got my first birthday gift, from Gaia, Hunger by Michael Grant... the next in the Gone Saga :exc: And have spent a lot of time reading lately, its been too cold to go out anywhere :cold:

Happy New Year everyone.  :D

I have the 'back-to-work' blues now.....not looking forward to getting up at 5am tomorrow, and it's going to be a 6 day working week. :weeping:  I hope my work clothes still fit; all I seemed to do for the last week was eat. :lol::huh:

Oh, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold! It's not even 8pm and I'm thinking of going to bed with my book.

All the best for everyone else back at work tomorrow. There's going to be a lot of grumpy faces I think. :blush2:

Edited by bobblybear

I'm glad you liked your gift, Anna :exc:!

I can't wait to get to it in a few weeks!

Oh, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold! It's not even 8pm and I'm thinking of going to bed with my book.

I usually go to bed with my book at 8 :giggle2: I do a lot of reading at night.  I hope you feel better and aren't sick :(  :flowers2:

Happy 2016!  Sending some no-cold-good-health vibes your way, Chalie!  

I'll admit it, I'm kind of looking forward to going back to work tomorrow :lurker:.  Well maybe not necessarily work, but I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine and back on plan especially when it comes to eating.  December was quiet at work and I barely saw people because we were either on vacation or working from home.  Lots of holiday eating and feeling ugh, so I've had enough of that until next December!  

I hope you all have a lovely week ahead of you! :D

I have the 'back-to-work' blues now.....not looking forward to getting up at 5am tomorrow, and it's going to be a 6 day working week. :weeping:  I hope my work clothes still fit; all I seemed to do for the last week was eat. :lol::huh:

I hope you're not getting ill :(. Good luck with work.

I hope you all have a lovely week ahead of you! :D

I hope you have a great week too :)!

Yesterday my grandparents came over and we spent some time with them. It was nice to see them again.

I wish everyone a great week!

I definitely do not want to go back to work. *sobs*

Sitting here in bed dragging it out as long as humanly possible. At least it should be easy going because its the first day back. 

Five days til the weekend :roll: