Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

I am at 70% in The Time Traveler's Wife and I don't know if I should just go ahead and finish it today or take my time and finish tomorrow.  I expect an ending that will need to be digested.  I hope to start Amy Stewart's Girl Waits With Gun tomorrow.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so happy you enjoyed Year of Wonders. I had to read it for a lit class in college and its always been one of my favorites!

Thanks Abby!  It was not at all what I was expecting, and very good indeed.  I might now get around to reading some more of her books ... I'm intrigued by March so I that will be going on the wishlist.

I think I'm off to bed with Finding Audrey and a few other books I feel like I might start after that. An early night! More reading... :)

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this book, as I used to read all Kinsella's non-Shopaholic books, but I've not been tempted by the last few, however I love the cover of Finding Audrey which might (ridiculously) tempt me to read it! 

I've read the first couple of chapters of The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Armin today and have also listened to some of Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford in my car.   I'm enjoying both but the latter is particularly good.  :wub:

I adore The Enchanted April, Janet, but it does take a little while to get going, so if you're enjoying the first couple of chapters, I think it will only get better for you! :D

I am at 70% in The Time Traveler's Wife and I don't know if I should just go ahead and finish it today or take my time and finish tomorrow.  I expect an ending that will need to be digested.  I hope to start Amy Stewart's Girl Waits With Gun tomorrow.

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife, Anna ... so much so that I devoured it in a single day.  I started it on a morning trip down to my namesake, Chesil Beach, and when we got back I just plonked myself down in the armchair and read it until I finished! :D

I adore The Enchanted April, Janet, but it does take a little while to get going, so if you're enjoying the first couple of chapters, I think it will only get better for you! :D

Thanks, Claire.  :)  You may remember that I mentioned the beautiful cover when we were in Waterstone's... somewhere (Cirencester or, more likely, Bristol) and then I was chatting to a friend on a different forum and she said she'd send me her copy which was in her charity shop bag - and it had that lovely cover on it!  :)

I enjoyed it from the start, and though I'm not very far in it's still great.  The two main characters have just finished breakfast on their first day in Italy!  :)

It's Australia Day next week, so I've decided to read Sarah Murgatroyd's The Dig Tree, which is about Burke and Wills' unfortunate attempt to cross Australia. It's a story I've always found fascinating because of the tragic series of events, so I'm looking forward to reading about it in detail.

I've also done some tidying of my books and read a little of Dead Wake.

Hmmm I don't usually read anything described as any form of romance, but I looked up the Mitford one on Goodreads and it sounds like it could be fun. Certainly has great reviews, so I stuck it on my wishlist!

It's really funny - well, I think so.  It's a sort of sequel to (they stand alone, but it references things from...) The Pursuit of Love, so you might be best of trying that one?  :)  I'm listening to an Audio Book which I think may be adding to my amusement!  :)

It's really funny - well, I think so.  It's a sort of sequel to (they stand alone, but it references things from...) The Pursuit of Love, so you might be best of trying that one?  :)  I'm listening to an Audio Book which I think may be adding to my amusement!  :)

Yup, I spotted that it was book two, so it's actually The Pursuit of Love that I added to my wishlist! :D

and read a little of Dead Wake.

How are you liking it?  I couldn't get on with Devil in a White City.

I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and am now planning on Amy Stewart's Girl Waits With Gun.

I haven't been reading as much as I would like - I've been binge watching Orange is the New Black with the hubby in the evenings! Its rare to find a programme that ill watch for hours and that he will too so thats been nice. He is on a night shift tonight though and I'm very much looking forward to an evening of reading hehe!

I have Orange is the New Black on my Netflix wishlist. I keep meaning to start it but everything else gets in the way.

I can see why it's one of your favorite books- I am now just under 40% into The Time Traveler's Wife and am totally in love with this book!  My first though when I woke up this morning was- I get to read a great book today!!

I see you've now finished The Time Traveler's Wife.....what did you think? I remember enjoying it, but it's been so long since I read it that I can't remember much about it. I lent my copy to my sister-in-law, but she has yet to return it. Have you read any of the author's other books?

Ove's the best :D There's a movie of the book, too, I really want to watch it :smile2: I hope you will enjoy The Pact! It's my first Picoult and I really liked it :)

Yah, Ove was pretty awesome! :boogie: The Pact is good so far. I can't see which direction the book will take....I suspect there's a lot more to be revealed.

Edited by bobblybear

How are you liking it?  I couldn't get on with Devil in a White City.

I love it so far, Anna, but I thought The Devil in the White City was one of the best works of non-fiction I've ever read, so I don't know that my thoughts will be of much use to you. ;)

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife, Anna ... so much so that I devoured it in a single day.  I started it on a morning trip down to my namesake, Chesil Beach, and when we got back I just plonked myself down in the armchair and read it until I finished! :D

I can easily see how that can happen.  I read over my normal 100+ pages a day and loved every minute :D  I did think of you in the beginning, I've never known anymore named Clair(e) before :blush2:

Hmmm I don't usually read anything described as any form of romance, but I looked up the Mitford one on Goodreads and it sounds like it could be fun. Certainly has great reviews, so I stuck it on my wishlist!

I think you would like it.  I think you are referring to Time Traveler's Wife?

I see you've now finished The Time Traveler's Wife.....what did you think? I remember enjoying it, but it's been so long since I read it that I can't remember much about it. I lent my copy to my sister-in-law, but she has yet to return it. Have you read any of the author's other books?

Yah, Ove was pretty awesome! :boogie: The Pact is good so far. I can't see which direction the book will take....I suspect there's a lot more to be revealed.

I enjoyed it, but I didn't like the ending.  I think I expected something more... climatic.  But it was symbolic, the ending.  I just didn't like the very very ending.

I'm glad you are enjoying The Pact, it's one of the books I miss already this year!

If you like Ove, you might like Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I think you would like it.  I think you are referring to Time Traveler's Wife?

No, I was talking about the Mitford novel Janet is reading... weird, I thought for some reason I had posted my reply in her thread, where she talked about them. Very strange! I read Time Traveler's Wife a few years back and liked it, though :D

I finished Birdman by Mo Hayder. Much, much better than Pig Island, I grew really attached to one of the characters, and there was some great writing. A bit dense, but it's only the first in a series and it was the second one, The Treatment, I actually wanted to read, so I'm gonna keep going.

I also spent quite a lot of time today working on compiling a list of authors and books for my Irish Counties Challenge.

I love it so far, Anna, but I thought The Devil in the White City was one of the best works of non-fiction I've ever read, so I don't know that my thoughts will be of much use to you. ;)

I think it was because of you I started it :)  But that's ok, usually we agree.

No, I was talking about the Mitford novel Janet is reading... weird, I thought for some reason I had posted my reply in her thread, where she talked about them. Very strange! I read Time Traveler's Wife a few years back and liked it, though :D

Oh, sorry :blush2:  It was a good read though :)

It was my book group meeting this evening, and everyone loved Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day which was lovely, but didn't make for much of a discussion.  Next months book is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller ... not my usual sort of book, but I'll give it a go :D

I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and am now planning on Amy Stewart's Girl Waits With Gun.

I'm glad you liked it, sorry you didn't like the ending.

I'm currently reading Walter Moers - Zamonië 1: De 13 ½ Levens van Kap’tein Blauwbeer (Zamonien 1: Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär), which is good so far. The illustrations are nice and I like the writing style. The story is a bit whymsical, but I like that in this book.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this book, as I used to read all Kinsella's non-Shopaholic books, but I've not been tempted by the last few, however I love the cover of Finding Audrey which might (ridiculously) tempt me to read it!

I'll try and write my thoughts on it today. Won't be an all too favorable review, but I did like the book in general. 

Aww, you've finished Ove? I mean the book, not the man :D Yay! :D Glad you're enjoying The Pact

Oh you've read Ove, too, did you like it? :smile2: 

Tried reading a few different books last night but couldn't get into any of them. I hope something will grab my attention today! 

I'll try and write my thoughts on it today. Won't be an all too favorable review, but I did like the book in general.

I look forward to read your thoughts.

Tried reading a few different books last night but couldn't get into any of them. I hope something will grab my attention today!

I hope something will :(.

Have started another English Counties book now - The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett and didn't realise quite how long a book it was, but it's started of brilliantly, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it over the next week or two! :D

How long is your copy, Claire?   I've got a Kindle version and it's only 433 pages long - I'm wondering now if I've not got a full version...?   :)

I read a lot in Walter Moers - Zamonië 1: De 13 ½ Levens van Kap’tein Blauwbeer (Zamonien 1: Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär) yesterday. The story is pretty good, it's quite whymsical and some things in particular are really creative. The book is a bit long-winded though at times, and then I'm thinking 'can we get on with it'. But overall the feeling is a positive one :).

How long is your copy, Claire?   I've got a Kindle version and it's only 433 pages long - I'm wondering now if I've not got a full version...?   :)

I thought mine said it was shorter than that, but I've just looked up the page on Amazon and it says it's 433 pages too, but if you look at the paperbacks, they are between 690 and 750 pages.  I don't think it's missing anything, I just think the calculation of pages from the  is way out!  I've read 13% in about 2.5 hours and it tells me I've got about 11 hours more reading, so I can't believe that's only 433 pages. I've seen it before on copyright free classic books that have been converted to ebooks, the pages numbers can often be much fewer than the paperback. :)

Aww, you've finished Ove? I mean the book, not the man :D Yay! :D Glad you're enjoying The Pact

I loved the book and the man (even though he was very grumpy, he was kind at heart). :D  The Pact is going very well. I should finish it tonight. :boogie:

I keep meaning to read Catherine Ryan Hyde because I have heard so much about her. I've just looked at my local library catalogue and they do have a few books by her so if I remember I shall borrow one.

Speaking of libraries, I wandered down to mine this morning, for the first time in about a year. Partly it's because I bought a pedometer, and I'm a bit obsessed by doing 10,000 steps a day, but also because I haven't been there in ages and wanted to see if much has changed. They have loads and loads of books that I recognise from my wishlist, etc, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to make more use of it, and stop spending money on Kindle books. :doh:

So today I borrowed a few that I had on my wishlist:

I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak

Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami

The Girl With All The Gifts - M R Carey

Freakonomics - Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner

There were loads more I could have borrowed, and I noticed they had plenty of Jodi Picoult books, so I know where to go when I next feel like reading one. :boogie: