Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

Lord!! I couldn't be dealing with Mr Woodhouse having a bigger role!!!  :D He was only good in extremely small doses! 

I thought I'd be the same, but actually he worries in a slightly different way in this one, so it doesn't grate on my quite as much.   :D

I've just finished it, and still can't bear Emma Woodhouse. :(  I'll stick with Clueless as my favourite version of Emma! :lol:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post

I've just started The 5th Wave. It's good so far, and I think they're making a film of it soon that should come out later this year :) have been trying to find something as gripping as I found The Hunger Games to be, hopefully this will be that :)

The Pact is going quickly- a book at 481 pages I thought would drag, I should have more faith in Picoult.  I can't put it down and when I pick it up for 20 minutes, I am astonished by how much I've read!

This is good news! :smile2: 

I am loving it so far :) The two main characters are really interesting and it's fun as you say. I've also read Christopher's biog Paperboy (think we chatted about it once .. long, long, time ago .. when Noah was loading the Ark :D) .. that was excellent too.

Very glad to hear you are loving it! :smile2: The main characters are a hoot! :D I absolutely loved them in the second novel. I do remember us talking about Paperboy 'back in the old days' :D 

I've been a bit scared to start the first novel, actually. It's because I believe it's to do with old days, and there's a lot of going back in time...? :unsure: I've been afraid I couldn't keep up. 

Lord!! I couldn't be dealing with Mr Woodhouse having a bigger role!!!  :D He was only good in extremely small doses! 

I thought Mr Woodhouse was so funny, he was the best part in Emma :D 

I thought I'd be the same, but actually he worries in a slightly different way in this one, so it doesn't grate on my quite as much.   :D

It would be highly interesting to hear more about his different way of worrying in your review! :D 

I finished the fourth novel in the Sebastian Bergman -series today and started reading The Square by Rosie Millard, as the due date is on Monday. 

Well, Emma is just as unlikeable as she is in the original, Mr Woodhouse seems to have a much bigger role (you almost feel like he's the lead character at times), and two thirds of the way through and Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill have only just arrived, so I'm struggling to know how he's going to fit so much story into the final third. If I wasn't planning to read the whole series of these retellings, I'm not sure if I'd carry on reading, as it's quite slow moving, and I don't feel like it has anything to grab me as a reader as an individual story.

Thanks. :)  I loved Emma so had my reservations about this, so I think I'll give it a miss then. :)

I've just started The 5th Wave. It's good so far, and I think they're making a film of it soon that should come out later this year :) have been trying to find something as gripping as I found The Hunger Games to be, hopefully this will be that :)

Hello - welcome to the forum.  :)  I haven't read either of those books but hopefully you'll find some good suggestions here.  Be warned though - this forum seriously increases the size of one's 'to read' pile!  :D

I think the film is actually out this month, and it has Chloe Grace Moretz :) I never finished that book, because I didn't like it towards the end, but I loved the first half or so. Will definitely go see the film. Also welcome to the forum! We have an Introductions section if you'd like to go post an introduction there, lots of people will say hello :)

Hi!  I loved The Hunger Games too, have you read the Divergent trilogy?

I've just finished The Pact.  I am still processing it, so perhaps a review later tonight or tomorrow.  Now, I am moving on to the 600 page Hunger by Michael Grant, book 2 in the Gone Saga.  Gaia and I are reading this series together, so I am going to try and keep up with her ;)  

Frankie- thought of you today when I saw Running with Scissors on Kindle sale today.  I downloaded the sample.  I'm going to check out a tad now and if I like it, snag it for 2 dollars!

Well I finished Hunger Games - Catching Fire last night and have already started Mockingjay! That series is so good!

Woohoo! I'm glad you liked Catching Fire :). I hope you enjoy Mockingjay too.

I haven't read The 5th Wave yet but I do own it. I'm glad it's good so far. I second what Anna said, the Divergent trilogy might be something you'd enjoy. 

I've just finished The Pact.  I am still processing it, so perhaps a review later tonight or tomorrow.  Now, I am moving on to the 600 page Hunger by Michael Grant, book 2 in the Gone Saga.  Gaia and I are reading this series together, so I am going to try and keep up with her ;)  

I'm so glad you liked The Pact!

I can try to not read too quickly if you want :). It'll not be easy though, I fully expect the book to be suspenseful and I'll want to keep reading it :P. But I can try if you want :).

As Anna said, we're going to read Hunger, so that will be my next read.

Frankie- thought of you today when I saw Running with Scissors on Kindle sale today.  I downloaded the sample.  I'm going to check out a tad now and if I like it, snag it for 2 dollars!

Yay! :D I hope you will like the sample :smile2: Looking forward to reading your review of The Pact as well! :)

I started reading The Square by Rosie Millard yesterday. Or did I already post about it. Oh well! 

I finished Sense and Sensibility today and then dug out the DVD to watch.  I was rather surprised to find that Hugh Grant isn't in it, but Dan Stevens is! Turns out that I don't own the version I thought I did!  :lol:  

Has anyone seen either version?   If so, which did you prefer?   :)

Is that the mini-series with David Morrisey as well, Janet?  I think I watched it once, but I'm not the biggest fan of his, although the rest of the cast was fine, I didn't enjoy it as much as the Emma Thompson film version, which I probably watch at least once a year.

Hi!  I loved The Hunger Games too, have you read the Divergent trilogy?

I've got the Divergent books and Four which is part of the series, they're on the 'to read' list, which is very long and continues to grow lol. My book case is full of books to read and I keep buying more.

I think the film is actually out this month, and it has Chloe Grace Moretz :) I never finished that book, because I didn't like it towards the end, but I loved the first half or so. Will definitely go see the film. Also welcome to the forum! We have an Introductions section if you'd like to go post an introduction there, lots of people will say hello :)

Oo is it, I didn't realise, I'd better get reading then as I'll want to see the film after reading the book. Chloe Grace Moretz is a brilliant actress, I loved her in 'If I Stay', I'm going to read that book also and I hope it live up to the film. 

Yeah I might post and introduction :) Still getting used to how a forum works, never been on one before.

I'm over a third of the way through Under The Skin  by Michael Faber. I'm reserving judgement.

Ahhh, it's certainly an odd book! :thud:

I'm still reading Geek Girl, but I should finish it tonight. I wanted to finish it yesterday, but was at work for most of the day so didn't have the energy when I got home.

I can try to not read too quickly if you want :). It'll not be easy though, I fully expect the book to be suspenseful and I'll want to keep reading it :P. But I can try if you want :).

As Anna said, we're going to read Hunger, so that will be my next read.

No way!  It's a fast read- I have confidence ;) A 600 page fast read. :giggle2:  

I'm over a third of the way through Under The Skin  by Michael Faber. I'm reserving judgement.

I'm reading that later this year.

Yay! :D I hope you will like the sample :smile2: Looking forward to reading your review of The Pact as well! :)

It's going to be hard to write the review- I don't want to give spoilers, but I didn't like the end!

I did like the sample!  Very strange, reminds me of JT Leroy.

It was really odd and I don't know how to feel about it. Not one I'd read again.

Oh dear :D 

It's going to be hard to write the review- I don't want to give spoilers, but I didn't like the end!

What was it about the end that you didn't like?

I did like the sample!  Very strange, reminds me of JT Leroy.

:lol: Do you think you'll buy the whole book?

I finished reading The Square by Rosie Millard last night, not quite sure what to read next. 

What was it about the end that you didn't like?

I though:

Chris should have been found guilty and I thought the note that said nothing at the end was stupid. Symbolic, now that I've had a chance to think about it, but still!

:lol: Do you think you'll buy the whole book?

I got a gift card for my birthday, so ya, I think I will try it out :)

I though:

Chris should have been found guilty and I thought the note that said nothing at the end was stupid. Symbolic, now that I've had a chance to think about it, but still!

I thought there was so much to grasp at the end, it was so detailed, his testimony, and I found it difficult to grasp how it all happened in the end, and how it might have been interpreted by other people. Like, what it all meant. It was so muddled for me :( But in general I thought the issue was so very well dealt. Picoult doesn't shy away from difficult subject!

Oh and yeah, I do understand why you think he should've been found guilty.

I got a gift card for my birthday, so ya, I think I will try it out :)

Cool! :D