Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adored The Mammy! O'Carroll's books are great!

I really liked it, but it felt very disjointed and it was quite dark for something I expected to be funny. Lots of suffering and dying. Loved reading the backstories for the characters though, looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I just finished Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller.... Wow!

Every time I hear that title it reminds me of Hazel Grace's thing about being given a forever within the numbered days in The Fault In Our Stars!

I'm just over halfway through Someone To Save You. As I expected, poorly written but interesting enough to keep me reading. Easy to read too. Also starting Pieces Of Sky by Trinity Doyle.

I finished The Hunger Games last night - wow amazing! I can't believe I left it this long to read it but thankfully I already have the other two books in the series. I started Quidditch Through the Ages this morning too.

I'm happy you enjoyed it :). I think you will like the other two books as well, I hope you enjoy them.

Hope you feel like reading soon Gaia but don't put pressure on yourself to do so, the books will be there tomorrow. :)

Thanks, Chalie :)!

I'm on page 324 of Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch, meaning I have 120 pages to go. I hope to possibly finish the novel tonight in bed.

I look forward to find out what you thought of it. 

I finished The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan and started Jodi Picoult's The Pact.

I hope you enjoy The Pact :).

I've started to read Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 1: Raven's Gate (The Power of Five 1: Raven's Gate). So far it's nice. I read books 4 and 5 a while ago and liked them. So I know how it ends. I thought I'd read the other three books, but I'm upset that my library doesn't have book 3. I think I'll still read books 1 and 2, though. My 'mojo' is still a little bit fragile but it's better than it was a day ago.

I look forward to find out what you thought of it. 

I didn't manage to read very much last night (I stayed up late watching the hockey final.... Finland won :exc:  :jump:  :yahoo:  ) so I still have about 90 pages ago. I'm not very impressed so far :unsure: Unless something pretty drastic happens in the last 90 pages, this will be my least favorite of the Koch novels I've read. But I still have faith in Koch and that something will happen in the novel!! 

I didn't manage to read very much last night (I stayed up late watching the hockey final.... Finland won :exc:  :jump:  :yahoo:  ) so I still have about 90 pages ago. I'm not very impressed so far :unsure: Unless something pretty drastic happens in the last 90 pages, this will be my least favorite of the Koch novels I've read. But I still have faith in Koch and that something will happen in the novel!!

Congratulations on the win :)!

That's a shame.. I hope something will happen by the end :(.

Thanks! :D:exc: 

Yeah, let's keep our fingers crossed. If I remember correctly, you haven't read the book yet yourself?

You remembered correctly :). I recently bought it when I saw it for a cheaper price, but I haven't read it yet. I will though, in time. So many books...

You remembered correctly :). I recently bought it when I saw it for a cheaper price, but I haven't read it yet. I will though, in time. So many books...

Ain't that the truth :D (I'm going to check out if there are any other books by Koch that have been translated into English or Finnish, besides The Dinner, Dear Mr. M. and the Summer House. I'd like to read more by him! And the more I think of The Dinner, the more I like it. It was really a great book. One that's stayed with me!) 

I finished The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan and started Jodi Picoult's The Pact.

I have The Pact on my TBR pile, so I hope you enjoy it!

I finished Under The Skin by Michel Faber. Well..... :banghead:  Can't say I'm happy with the ending. It took me by surprise because my Kindle said I was 80% through the book. So I turned to the next chapter only to find that I'd actually finished, and the rest of the book is a preview of one of his other books. Nooooooooooooo.....it can't end like that. :doh:

I finished Under The Skin by Michel Faber. Well..... :banghead:  Can't say I'm happy with the ending. It took me by surprise because my Kindle said I was 80% through the book. So I turned to the next chapter only to find that I'd actually finished, and the rest of the book is a preview of one of his other books. Nooooooooooooo.....it can't end like that. :doh:

Sonovab.... :thud: That's... That's criminal!!! 

^ Damn right! It completely threw me, because in my mind I was guessing all sorts of ways the story was going to go, only to find that there was no more story!! :weeping:

I know!!! And then it was just all over for you, all of a sudden!! And you weren't prepared!! And now you might feel resentment towards the book itself, even though it's not the book's fault, it's the Kindle's fault!!! :( Why the heck would they do this sort of thing?!?! I want to write hate mail....  :censored:

Ain't that the truth :D (I'm going to check out if there are any other books by Koch that have been translated into English or Finnish, besides The Dinner, Dear Mr. M. and the Summer House. I'd like to read more by him! And the more I think of The Dinner, the more I like it. It was really a great book. One that's stayed with me!)

I hope you find something, let me know if you have :)

This is terrible :banghead: I hate it when that happens. I'm sorry for you :(.

I really liked it, but it felt very disjointed and it was quite dark for something I expected to be funny. Lots of suffering and dying. Loved reading the backstories for the characters though, looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

The dark turn took me by surprise too, I must admit - pretty sure it is the darkest of the three if I remember rightly!

I hope you enjoy The Pact :).

I've started to read Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 1: Raven's Gate (The Power of Five 1: Raven's Gate). So far it's nice. I read books 4 and 5 a while ago and liked them. So I know how it ends. I thought I'd read the other three books, but I'm upset that my library doesn't have book 3. I think I'll still read books 1 and 2, though. My 'mojo' is still a little bit fragile but it's better than it was a day ago.

Thanks- I hope your "mojo" stays with you!  You've done a lot of reading this year already!

I have The Pact on my TBR pile, so I hope you enjoy it!

And Under the Skin is on mine :giggle2:  I just had this same thing happen to me with my last read, The Lemon Tree.  It ended at 80% as well.  :censored:   However, it had a proper end.

Library Thing tells me I've had The Gunslinger (1st in the Dark Tower series) by Stephen King since December 19, 2009.

I think it's about time I started it......... :D

Oooh- Cool!  I hope you like it!

I'm reading Christmas Holiday by Somerset Maugham at the moment. I meant to read it over the Christmas holidays but somehow that didn't happen  :blush2: Actually, it doesn't matter as .. so far .. it's the least Christmassy book ever! :D I am enjoying it though. 

Alan and I finished Reckless by Cornelia Funke yesterday and have just started The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan. Greatly enjoying it so far :) On audio I have Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler which is book 1 in his Bryant & May series. I think it'll be good but I haven't been able to devote the time to it yet.

Also dipping into Raymond Briggs' Notes From the Sofa .. which is a collection of his columns written for The Oldie magazine. Grouchy, funny, stuff about getting old and everything being sh*t nowadays. I can relate :D Easy to dip in and out of and great illustrations from Raymond. I love grumpy old men! :D  

Maybe a bit of a New Years resolution, but I've kicked on more with my reading over the last two days. I finished the last 400 odd pages of Fall of Giants in the space of one evening/middle of the night feed/first thing in the morning and now I'm halfway through The Catcher in the Rye.

It's possibly also related to a comment that someone made on this forum to just try and pick up a book for at least 5 mins a day and you may feel you want to read on for longer, but if not, at least you've read for 5 mins! :)

Edited by More reading time required

On audio I have Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler which is book 1 in his Bryant & May series. I think it'll be good but I haven't been able to devote the time to it yet.

About how fast do you go through an audio book?  I am considering the Harry Potter series (by joining the Amazon program) but goodness, they are long.  Do you feel it is a different experience than reading the book?  Because I think I could read 750 some pages in less than 29 hours!  :o

Maybe a bit of a New Years resolution, but I've kicked on more with my reading over the last two days. I finished the last 400 odd pages of Fall of Giants in the space of one evening/middle of the night feed/first thing in the morning and now I'm halfway through The Catcher in the Rye.

Wow- impressive reading!  Did you like Fall of Giants?  I plan on read it later this year.  I hope you like Catcher in the Rye!

Thanks- I hope your "mojo" stays with you!  You've done a lot of reading this year already!

Thanks :)! It's strange, for someone who said she's read what she wanted to and slow down a bit and not feel pressured, I wasn't expecting to have this much reading done already :giggle2:. But I'm enjoying what I read so.

Like Anna, I would also like to know what you thought of Fall of Giants. Have you read any other books by the author?

My next read will be Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 2: Evil Star (The Power of Five 1: Evil Star).

Started reading Mrs Brown's Family Handbook alongside Pieces of Sky and Someone To Save You

The first few chapters, about tea, coasters and tea towels were hilarious, the next few about cleaning  the house not so much. Think it'll be a bit hit and miss throughout, but it's a fun book all the same. Got it for my tablet-Kindle, but it has lots of good pictures so I might order a hard copy if I like enough of the content.

I hope you find something, let me know if you have :)

I didn't find any :( 

On audio I have Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler which is book 1 in his Bryant & May series. I think it'll be good but I haven't been able to devote the time to it yet.

Oh boy! I've read the second novel in the series (didn't know it was a novel in a series at the time) and I really liked it! :smile2: It was back when Transworld Book Group or whatever it was called gave out 4 free copies of 12 different books to choose from to whoever wrote to them and requested the books and then read them and wrote reviews of the books. I really liked it! The book was great and the whole thing was so much fun! :smile2: I have acquired a copy of the first novel in the series (the one you're reading) after that but have never gotten around to reading it :blush: I hope it's really good!! :)

Still reading Summer House with Swimming Pool...