Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

That is terrible that people ruined it for you!  That happened to me with The Martian :rolleyes:  I don't read reviews or anything really, before I start a book, maybe the first bit on Amazon, but I never go too far, because sometimes they tell they whole story :irked:

Take Me With You is indeed a good book, but I've enjoyed all her books I have read!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  IMO, Don't Le Me Go was my favorite so far.  When I Found You was good too.  But Take Me With You was great.

I didn't read the Amazon reviews until after I'd finished...it was more the blurb on the dustjacket that spoiled it for me.

I saw a few CRH books at the library (I think they had 3), but decided to go with this one, so we shall see! :boogie:

I don't know a single thing about the story, I thought it was like chick lit/drama for the longest time til someone mentioned dystopia, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect from it! I may start reading it today/tomorrow just to get going before I do see any spoilers!

Oh good, I think it's best to go into it with no expectations or ideas about it. Hope you enjoy it! :readingtwo:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know who to believe! :giggle:

I love a good divisive book though, usually means I'm going to have a lot of opinions on it when I get to it! :D

Well, me, obviously! :D

I liked it as it was so different to anything I had read before, and approaches an old subject from an entirely new angle (for me anyway).

I didn't read the Amazon reviews until after I'd finished...it was more the blurb on the dustjacket that spoiled it for me.

I saw a few CRH books at the library (I think they had 3), but decided to go with this one, so we shall see! :boogie:

Oh good, I think it's best to go into it with no expectations or ideas about it. Hope you enjoy it! :readingtwo:

Thanks!

Well, me, obviously! :D

I liked it as it was so different to anything I had read before, and approaches an old subject from an entirely new angle (for me anyway).

I'm so intrigued! Must read! Ive *still* done no reading today, dunno what my problem is! :roll:

Just finished Queen of Shadows - Sarah J Maas, #4 in Throne of Glass seriesWas really dissapointed with this book. Not sure if I'll continue this series anymore Depends on how long the next book will be  :roll2: 

BUT! Tommorrow I'll start His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. First book in the Temeraire series and Im really excited about that!  :b7ydance: 

Hmm, it will be interesting to hear what you think of it Nollaig. Do you know much about it? There was a twist that everyone goes on about, but a quote from another author on the inside cover kind of ruined that for me. The quote basically said that the book was a cross between another certain book and a particular TV show, so even before starting it, I knew this very specific thing about it (sorry, I'm trying to be vague to not ruin it, but I'm probably being so vague that I'm not making any sense :lol:) which apparently was the twist. It was only reading Amazon reviews that I realised that this 'twist' took people by surprise (clearly they didn't have the same copy of the book I did)....but also a lot of the reviews (especially the negative ones) tell you what the twist is outright.

Awww, how stupid is that!! I feel for you :(.

I went to the library today, only intending to borrow one or two books but instead I borrowed four (and that was after putting some back on the shelf). :doh: I think my Kindle is going to be neglected for a while!!

I borrowed:

Take Me With You - Catherine Ryan Hyde (I think/hope this is the CRH that Anna was recommending)

Runner - Patrick Lee

Sweet Tooth - Ian McEwan

Started Early, Took My Dog - Kate Atkinson

I hope you enjoy all your library loans :D.

I've done no reading today, whoops. I put on a face mask thing and dyed my hair instead. I will read this evening, I need to finish at least one more book by tomorrow evening!

Which colour did you dye your hair?  

Just finished Queen of Shadows - Sarah J Maas, #4 in Throne of Glass seriesWas really dissapointed with this book. Not sure if I'll continue this series anymore Depends on how long the next book will be  :roll2: 

It's a shame it disappointed you :(.

I'm still reading Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 3: Voice of the Gods, there are about 100 pages left to read. I hope to have it finished today (Jan 31rst), so I can start afresh in February. I will also be cataloguing library loans and ex-library books I bought.

Anyone else reading the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (aka J. K. Rowling) ? I loooove them, so much suspense and so well written. I just love the characters. Again, I am waiting impatiently for the 4th one to come out - why do I always get myself in these positions haha.

Which colour did you dye your hair?  

Red! I always dye it red, I was just topping it up coz my roots were growing through :)

Managed a few pages today but I've had prospective tenants traipsing around the house all day. Gonna try read for an hour now before the evening ones arrive.

I started a history book, When Paris Went Dark, about the German occupation.  50 pages into it, well written and interesting so far.

That sounds interesting! I might read that next :) now reading the poison study books. the first one was good, but the other ones are really predictable and disappointing. It somehow became a teeny novel starting from the 2nd book.