Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

Oh you've read Ove, too, did you like it? :smile2:

No, it just sounds very much like a CRH :)

The Pact is going very well. I should finish it tonight. :boogie:

I keep meaning to read Catherine Ryan Hyde because I have heard so much about her. I've just looked at my local library catalogue and they do have a few books by her so if I remember I shall borrow one.

So today I borrowed a few that I had on my wishlist:

The Girl With All The Gifts - M R Carey

The Pact does move fast, I wanted to be able to have some super power to consume it all at once :giggle2:   Gaia and I plan on reading Nineteen Minutes this summer, you (and anyone else) are welcome.

With CRH, I highly suggest Take Me With You.  Its quite unforgettable.

I loved Girl With All the Gifts.  It was a different type of story and I liked that in it.

I am at 100 pages in Girl Waits With Gun.  It's going just ok.  Reminds me of Patrick deWitt's The Brothers Sisters so far.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought myself Persuasion from Audible this morning, so looking forward to hearing another Austen read by Juliet Stevenson.  Also picked up my copy of Just William by Richmal Crompton from the library, and read another chapter of The Old Wives' Tale.  Will probably take a break from it to read Just William otherwise I might not get to it for a couple of weeks! :D

I thought mine said it was shorter than that, but I've just looked up the page on Amazon and it says it's 433 pages too, but if you look at the paperbacks, they are between 690 and 750 pages.  I don't think it's missing anything, I just think the calculation of pages from the  is way out!  I've read 13% in about 2.5 hours and it tells me I've got about 11 hours more reading, so I can't believe that's only 433 pages. I've seen it before on copyright free classic books that have been converted to ebooks, the pages numbers can often be much fewer than the paperback. :)

Yes, that's true. Middlemarch was much longer in paperback than the Kindle said. Thanks. :)

The Pact does move fast, I wanted to be able to have some super power to consume it all at once :giggle2:   Gaia and I plan on reading Nineteen Minutes this summer, you (and anyone else) are welcome.

With CRH, I highly suggest Take Me With You.  Its quite unforgettable.

I loved Girl With All the Gifts.  It was a different type of story and I liked that in it.

The Pact does move quite fast, but it also jumps around in time a lot, so just when you think something key is going to be revealed, it jumps to the present time and you are left hanging. :blink: I just finished it a short while ago - very good book.

I think I have read Nineteen Minutes. Is that the one about the school shooting? If I haven't read it, then I shall gladly join in. :smile:

Fortunately my library has a copy of Take Me With You, so I shall make a note of it for next time I'm down there. :boogie:

I've heard a few good things about The Girl With All The Gifts. I had a quick browse of Amazon reviews the other day, and some mentioned that it was dystopian which sounds like my kind of thing.

I'm now about to start I Am The Messenger, by Markus Zusak.

The Pact does move quite fast, but it also jumps around in time a lot, so just when you think something key is going to be revealed, it jumps to the present time and you are left hanging. :blink: I just finished it a short while ago - very good book.

I think I have read Nineteen Minutes. Is that the one about the school shooting? If I haven't read it, then I shall gladly join in. :smile:

Fortunately my library has a copy of Take Me With You, so I shall make a note of it for next time I'm down there. :boogie:

I've heard a few good things about The Girl With All The Gifts. I had a quick browse of Amazon reviews the other day, and some mentioned that it was dystopian which sounds like my kind of thing.

I'm now about to start I Am The Messenger, by Markus Zusak.

:jump:  I'm so glad you liked The Pact!  Was there enough "courtroom" for you?  I agree, I never knew where the book was taking me.  What did you think of the end?

I'm not sure if Nineteen Minutes is about a school shooting, the Amazon synopsis is surprisingly vague, but intriguing.  We'd love to have you with us :) 

Girl With All the Gifts is a... well, I would break it down and call it apocalyptic.  But don't read too many of them, because I don't want to you to find out the secret :P  I found out and was ticked!

I'd love your opinion on Take Me With You, I think its pretty hard not to like the book.  Good luck with I Am The Messenger.  :readingtwo: 

I think Girl Waits With Gun is losing my interest and I don't want to stall out this early in the year!  I also don't want an abandon yet either.  Shame, I was looking forward to this one.  I think I will do a "once every so often" read of Elizabeth Wurtzel's Now More Again.  But give Girl another day. 

BB, I hope you like the rest of The Pact and that you enjoy a CRH book :).

I started to re-read Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife. I read it some years ago, I think at least five years ago but not more than eight years ago. So far it's nice, though I'm not wow'ed by it yet. But it is enjoyable, and it was good enough to distract me from the fact that it was getting dark so I needed to close the chicken houses for the night. So it must have been captivating or otherwise I would've noticed it much sooner as with the past few books I've been reading I was distracted every few minutes looking on the clock, seeing it getting dusk and then dark.

:jump:  I'm so glad you liked The Pact!  Was there enough "courtroom" for you?  I agree, I never knew where the book was taking me.  What did you think of the end?

I liked the "courtroom" scenes well enough, but I found the ending a bit ambiguous.

Who actually pulled the trigger? It was clear to the reader that Emily wanted to kill herself, but I'm not sure that would have come across well enough in court for Chris to be found 'not guilty'. And I wonder, would Emily have killed herself if she hadn't been pregnant? When she was sexually assaulted in the public toilet....I hoped that would be revealed to someone, anyone!! Maybe she wrote it in her diary, but her silly mum burnt it!!

I'm not sure if Nineteen Minutes is about a school shooting, the Amazon synopsis is surprisingly vague, but intriguing.  We'd love to have you with us :)

I've had a look on Amazon UK, and it is about the school shooting.

Girl With All the Gifts is a... well, I would break it down and call it apocalyptic.  But don't read too many of them, because I don't want to you to find out the secret :P  I found out and was ticked!

Apocalyptic is good! And that there is a secret is also good. :boogie:

I'd love your opinion on Take Me With You, I think its pretty hard not to like the book.  Good luck with I Am The Messenger.  :readingtwo: 

I Am The Messenger is nowhere near as good as The Book Thief, but still an ok read.

BB, I hope you like the rest of The Pact and that you enjoy a CRH book :).

I did enjoy The Pact very much. I hope I enjoy the CRH book as well - I have heard her mentioned so much on here.

No, it just sounds very much like a CRH :)

Oh. Seems a bit of a bold statement to compare it to someone else's work if you've not actually read the book... I hope when you do read it it will be just as you imagined it :smile2: 

I've still not gotten into any novel so far :( I'm not too worried yet, I've just not come across the perfect book for my current mood... 

I'm currently on page 200 out of 540 of Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm re-reading the book but so far I'm not liking it as much as the first time around :(. Maybe the story is too familiar to me, I read the book and saw the film several times. I generally don't feel in the mood to read, but I want to finish this book because the read-a-thon is coming up and I want to read and finish Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 3: Voice of the Gods before the read-a-thon starts. So I feel like I should read to get a move on, but I find it hard to find the motivation to sit down and read. I think though that once I sit down and read for a while, then I will enjoy the book. It's just getting myself to that point..

EDIT: Well I've read for a while, I do enjoy the book once I get into it, it just takes me a while to get to the point of sitting down and reading. I guess I find the book is less suspenseful because I know what's going to happen. But I do like the story :).

Edited by Athena

I'm halfway through A People's History of the United States but have taken a short break to read Love in the Present Tense by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

It's due back at the library and I was running out of time. I'm a third through and it's confusing at times due to constant time jumps, but it's hard hitting stuff. Enjoyable.

I'm currently on page 200 out of 540 of Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm re-reading the book but so far I'm not liking it as much as the first time around :(.

Oh no, that's always the concern with re-reading a book! I've had that happen to me a few times, and it feels like such a disappointment. :negative:

I'm currently on page 200 out of 540 of Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm re-reading the book but so far I'm not liking it as much as the first time around :(.

I'm glad it is picking up for you, perhaps the best part of a re-read is remembering why you liked it so much in the first place.  I hope you find it!

I am having some of the same problems.  I have read Elizabeth Wurtzel's More Now Again so many times, it feels like an old friend.  But it is a graphic book and I know what's coming up :hide:

I just started The 2nd book of the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, the wise man’s fear. I really liked the name of the wind - I heard it was a good book and I always had a thing for good fantasy books so I thought why not. So far I think it is quite good, but the very beginning was a bit slow to start with. It is much better now that the story properly "kicked off". I actually want to know what will happen next! But Im so sad the 3rd one is not out yet , I really hope it will not take too long. I hate having to wait for new books!

I've just started  .... rose%20mad_zpsppxppvm8.jpg

I loved this book when I read it. Definitely one of my favourites.

Over the long weekend I have managed to finish reading both Die Trying and Trip Wire by Lee Child. My next book is The Visitor - Lee Child.

Shelfy

Oh no, that's always the concern with re-reading a book! I've had that happen to me a few times, and it feels like such a disappointment. :negative:

Yeah :(. Gladly the second half of the book seemed more interesting and I managed to enjoy that and even to cry. But recently some of my re-reads have been disappointing.. it's made me hesistant of re-reading anything :hide:

I'm glad it is picking up for you, perhaps the best part of a re-read is remembering why you liked it so much in the first place.  I hope you find it!

I am having some of the same problems.  I have read Elizabeth Wurtzel's More Now Again so many times, it feels like an old friend.  But it is a graphic book and I know what's coming up :hide:

That is true :). The second half was more enjoyable to me (I finished the book yesterday evening). Once (spoiler for the events in The Time Traveler's Wife):

they are trying to have a baby and then the thought of when Henry will die.

I hope you find More Now Again interesting to re-read :). Even if you know what's coming :hide:.

I just started The 2nd book of the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, the wise man’s fear. I really liked the name of the wind - I heard it was a good book and I always had a thing for good fantasy books so I thought why not. So far I think it is quite good, but the very beginning was a bit slow to start with. It is much better now that the story properly "kicked off". I actually want to know what will happen next! But Im so sad the 3rd one is not out yet , I really hope it will not take too long. I hate having to wait for new books!

For that reason I haven't yet started this series. I've heard many great things, but I cannot stand huge cliffhangers. I own books 1 & 2 but I'm saving them until book 3 is out so I can read the whole series in a shorter period of time and I won't have to wait so long. I'm glad to read though that you're enjoying the books so much :).