Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finishin To Kill a Mckingbird by Harper Lee and then I will read The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium 2)

x

I hope this will be good! I haven't bought it yet, but it's one of the top books on my wishlist. I plan to get it the next time I order something or when I'm allowed to treat myself or when I have some extra money. I will buy it because I loved book 1.

I didn't find any :(

x

That's a shame :(

I finished Quidditch Through the Ages and I've started on Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

x

I hope you enjoy it! The films are nice too. 

I started Geek Girl by Holly Smale. It's ok, but I don't think I'm the target audience. :giggle2:

x

I quite like this series, though they got a bit samey later on in the series (but still enjoyable). I love all the little facts Harried mentions. The book is probably written for teenage girls, I think :giggle2:. But that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it :). I hope you like it.

I'm reading Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 2: Evil Star (The Power of Five 1: Evil Star), so far it's nice to read what happened earlier on in the series.

I did Fall Of Giants  last year I believe. I really enjoyed it. 

Just started A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George. I also have on my TBR for the next two weeks,

Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good, by Jan Karon

In These Mountains by the same author

Echo, by Maeve Binchy

I'm reading Christmas Holiday by Somerset Maugham at the moment. I meant to read it over the Christmas holidays but somehow that didn't happen  :blush2: Actually, it doesn't matter as .. so far .. it's the least Christmassy book ever! :D I am enjoying it though. 

Alan and I finished Reckless by Cornelia Funke yesterday and have just started The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan. Greatly enjoying it so far :) On audio I have Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler which is book 1 in his Bryant & May series. I think it'll be good but I haven't been able to devote the time to it yet.

Also dipping into Raymond Briggs' Notes From the Sofa .. which is a collection of his columns written for The Oldie magazine. Grouchy, funny, stuff about getting old and everything being sh*t nowadays. I can relate :D Easy to dip in and out of and great illustrations from Raymond. I love grumpy old men! :D  

I love the Christopher Fowler series.  I'm currently reading one of his, too, The Bleeding Heart.  I'm also reading the book of Call the Midwife.  It's not as good as the programme, but I'll keep reading.

I'm about one-third of the way through Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. I took delivery of three books yesterday and started reading one of them straight away, a children's book called Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh. And I also read a few issues of The Walking Dead.

I did Fall Of Giants  last year I believe. I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad you liked it. It's on my TBR. 

I finished reading Summer House with Swimming Pool and started reading the 4th novel in the Sebastian Bergman series by Michael Hjorth and Hans Rosenfeldt. I've been waiting for a library copy of the book for half a year!

Did it get any better? Half a year.. you must be so happy you can finally read it :)!

I have written a review :) Another kind of resolution is to actually post something on my reading blog this year, once I've created it that is. ;)

I look forward to read it, I shall go over to your thread!

I'm currently reading Jael McHenry - The Kitchen Daughter. My grandma read this book for her book club, and gave it to me as a birthday present. She's been asking me if I've read the book every time I see her, so I figured I'll give it a go now so she can stop asking me :P. It's nice so far :).

Did it get any better? Half a year.. you must be so happy you can finally read it :)!

It did. There was a twist that was much needed, and something that I was expecting... I mean I didn't expect that particular twist, but some twist! Because I know to expect that from Koch... He delivered :) But the book wasn't as good as the other two, I'm afraid. I still liked it though :) 

It did. There was a twist that was much needed, and something that I was expecting... I mean I didn't expect that particular twist, but some twist! Because I know to expect that from Koch... He delivered :) But the book wasn't as good as the other two, I'm afraid. I still liked it though :)

That's good to hear, I'm glad you liked it :).

I'm currently reading The Catcher In The Rye! Actually I'm quite disappointed this far, because I had very high expectations. Hope for it to get better, but I don't really like the protagonist.

I really disliked it when I read it a couple of years ago.  I wondered if I'm just too old to be reading it for the first time, and had I read it in my teens, I might have been able to empathise with Holden.

Catcher in the Rye... UGH.

Put it down before you throw it out of the window.

I really disliked it when I read it a couple of years ago.  I wondered if I'm just too old to be reading it for the first time, and had I read it in my teens, I might have been able to empathise with Holden.

:P I liked it a lot, I was in my early 20's but I still didn't identify with Holden.

The Pact is going quickly- a book at 481 pages I thought would drag, I should have more faith in Picoult.  I can't put it down and when I pick it up for 20 minutes, I am astonished by how much I've read!

I quite like this series, though they got a bit samey later on in the series (but still enjoyable). I love all the little facts Harried mentions. The book is probably written for teenage girls, I think :giggle2:. But that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it :). I hope you like it.

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely written for teenage girls. I'm too cynical to really fall for it, unfortunately. :giggle2:  It is an easy read, but I don't think I'll pick up any more of the series. I'm glad I gave it a go, as I've wondered about the series for a while.

Please excuse the snipping! 

About how fast do you go through an audio book?  I am considering the Harry Potter series (by joining the Amazon program) but goodness, they are long.  Do you feel it is a different experience than reading the book?  Because I think I could read 750 some pages in less than 29 hours!  :o

It does depend .. I've got a lot of ironing to catch up on so will probably whizz through it :D I've usually finished it before my next monthly credit is due .. sometimes a lot quicker .. sometimes slower. A good narrator can bring so much more to a story (a bad one can do the reverse.) I read all the Harry Potter's but then have also listened to them all several times over because Stephen Fry is just the most marvellous narrator and he does bring the stories to life :) I know there are other narrators of the stories too.

Oh boy! I've read the second novel in the series (didn't know it was a novel in a series at the time) and I really liked it! :smile2: It was back when Transworld Book Group or whatever it was called gave out 4 free copies of 12 different books to choose from to whoever wrote to them and requested the books and then read them and wrote reviews of the books. I really liked it! The book was great and the whole thing was so much fun! :smile2: I have acquired a copy of the first novel in the series (the one you're reading) after that but have never gotten around to reading it :blush: I hope it's really good!! :)

I am loving it so far :) The two main characters are really interesting and it's fun as you say. I've also read Christopher's biog Paperboy (think we chatted about it once .. long, long, time ago .. when Noah was loading the Ark :D) .. that was excellent too.

I love the Christopher Fowler series.  I'm currently reading one of his, too, The Bleeding Heart.  I'm also reading the book of Call the Midwife.  It's not as good as the programme, but I'll keep reading.

I'm definitely going to keep on reading them .. probably I'll listen as the narrator is good :) Sorry to hear that Call the Midwife is not as good as you were hoping. That's the problem when you enjoy a TV prog .. the book is hardly ever as good (and vice versa.) 

I loved The Catcher in the Rye and didn't read it that long ago. I didn't like or dislike Holden .. I just thought the author caught something .. something of what it's like to be young and directionless. Alienated etc. Not an uplifting read though  :blush2: 

I'm about two thirds of the way through Emma by Alexander McCall Smith now, and I've just bought myself Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.

How are you getting on with Emma, Claire? :)   I nearly bought it the other day but I forgot and the price went back up.   I did the same with the Sophie Hannah Poirot book too - gah!   :irked:  I hope you enjoy Year of Wonders - it's a great book.  :)

Catcher in the Rye... UGH.

Put it down before you throw it out of the window.

:she:  :giggle:

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.  It's taking me a while, but that's nothing to do with the book, which I'm really enjoying - it's purely lack of time. I have the BBC DVD to watch once I've finished.  I think I'm on about 40% but I hope to get a chunk read over the weekend. :)

The Pact is going quickly- a book at 481 pages I thought would drag, I should have more faith in Picoult.  I can't put it down and when I pick it up for 20 minutes, I am astonished by how much I've read!

I'm glad you are enjoying it so much :)

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely written for teenage girls. I'm too cynical to really fall for it, unfortunately. :giggle2:  It is an easy read, but I don't think I'll pick up any more of the series. I'm glad I gave it a go, as I've wondered about the series for a while.

It's a shame it's not really for you, but I'm glad you liked trying it and that it satisfied your curiosity :).

How are you getting on with Emma, Claire? :)   I nearly bought it the other day but I forgot and the price went back up.   I did the same with the Sophie Hannah Poirot book too - gah!   :irked:  I hope you enjoy Year of Wonders - it's a great book.  :)

Well, Emma is just as unlikeable as she is in the original, Mr Woodhouse seems to have a much bigger role (you almost feel like he's the lead character at times), and two thirds of the way through and Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill have only just arrived, so I'm struggling to know how he's going to fit so much story into the final third. If I wasn't planning to read the whole series of these retellings, I'm not sure if I'd carry on reading, as it's quite slow moving, and I don't feel like it has anything to grab me as a reader as an individual story.

Well, Emma is just as unlikeable as she is in the original, Mr Woodhouse seems to have a much bigger role (you almost feel like he's the lead character at times), and two thirds of the way through and Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill have only just arrived, so I'm struggling to know how he's going to fit so much story into the final third. If I wasn't planning to read the whole series of these retellings, I'm not sure if I'd carry on reading, as it's quite slow moving, and I don't feel like it has anything to grab me as a reader as an individual story.

Lord!! I couldn't be dealing with Mr Woodhouse having a bigger role!!!  :D He was only good in extremely small doses!