Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

Happy New Year everyone!  :party:

What book/s are you reading to kick off the new year?

I'm over halfway through A Boy Called Christmas, and I've started Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheeey new reading year!

I'm currently reading Follow You Home by Mark Edwards, Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle and once I finish the first one of those will start The Mammy (Mrs Browne #1) by Brendan O'Carroll.

Exciting! :D

I am currently half way through Anna Karenina. I wasn't actually expecting to enjoy it that much - it was just a novel that someone had kindly bought for me - but I've been hooked. I'm aiming to finish it by the end of the weekend before I am back at uni. :)

Happy New Year all! :boogie:

I'm currently reading Follow You Home by Mark Edwards.

Is this one any good? I can't decide if I should buy it or not. It's on offer at the moment, but I don't know if it's as good as everyone says it is.

I finished Death Descends on Saturn Villa last night, so that was my final read for 2015. I was a bit disappointed in it.....a review will follow at some point. I'm carrying on with Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything which is interesting as always. My next fiction read will be Under The Skin by Michel Faber. I will probably start that later today. :readingtwo:

Happy New Year, everyone :D!!

I'm going to start off the year with my read-a-thon reads, beginning with a QuickReads, Sophie Hannah - Pictures Or It Didn't Happen followed by two Babysitters Club books (#29, #36) by Ann M. Martin.

Happy new reading year! :)

I finished The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climber Out of the Window and Disappeared earlier which I mostly enjoyed - felt it dragged on at some points but I got back into it and loved the ending. I'm now reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara and I can't put it down...except the Kindle needs to charge a bit :( 

Is this one any good? I can't decide if I should buy it or not. It's on offer at the moment, but I don't know if it's as good as everyone says it is.

Ehhhh. On my new rating scale of 1-5 with no .5 marks, I'm probably going to give it a 3 which stands for decent. It's not amazingly written, its very convoluted, and it gets a bit silly. That said, I did stay up until 7am reading it. :roll: I didnt, and wouldn't, spend money on it.

I'm now reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara and I can't put it down...except the Kindle needs to charge a bit :(

I have this on my Wishlist. Heard many good things about it, but haven't quite decided to get it yet. Sounds like you are enjoying it. :smile:

Have to say, I haven't been tempted by any of the 12 days of Kindle sale, so my TBR hasn't suffered this year! :D

I've been plenty tempted...I think I've bought 15 so far. :giggle2:  They say new ones are added every day, but they don't tell you the new ones, so you end up having to sift through all the pages. :doh:

Ehhhh. On my new rating scale of 1-5 with no .5 marks, I'm probably going to give it a 3 which stands for decent. It's not amazingly written, its very convoluted, and it gets a bit silly. That said, I did stay up until 7am reading it. :roll: I didnt, and wouldn't, spend money on it.

Ah, yeah I thought it might be a bit like that. I shall give it a miss then. :smile:

I've been plenty tempted...I think I've bought 15 so far. :giggle2:  They say new ones are added every day, but they don't tell you the new ones, so you end up having to sift through all the pages. :doh:

I think it was just because all the books that I might have been tempted by, I've already read! :D There are some good books on there, just no new ones that appealed to me. :)  It's so annoying that they haven't shown you what's added each day and you have to go through all 31 pages of books to find out what's been added.  I've done it every couple of days, so will probably just do one last perusal on the the last day now.

I've read some more this morning and am now about a third of the way through The Star of Kazan and hoping to finish it today.

Starting the year with one of my Christmas presents: 1815 - Regency Britain in the Year of Waterloo, by Stephen Bates.  Sounds a bit fusty, but is proving a very entertaining (and instructive) read.  I'm determined to read more non-fiction this year, so starting as I mean to go on!

There were some fairly decent non-fiction books in the 12 Days of Kindle, so picked up a few of those.  Otherwise, trying to steer clear until I've read a bit more of what I've already got on the shelves.

Edited by willoyd

It's so annoying that they haven't shown you what's added each day and you have to go through all 31 pages of books to find out what's been added.  I've done it every couple of days, so will probably just do one last perusal on the the last day now.

Yeah, that's what I am going to do (have one final look on the last day).

I've started Under The Skin and it's seriously weird. I knew the beginning would be a bit of an unusual reveal, but I just can't fathom what is going on. :thud:

Finished The Star of Kazan, which is a very traditional tale, but then I guess Eva Ibbotson is a very traditional writer so it was sort of expected.

Going to start A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig next, as it's my last Christmas themed book from the pile of books I got for Christmas, and I'd like to read it before I have to go back to work next week. :D

I finished The Sound of Whales this morning, and have now started The Star of Kazan. :)

Have to say, I haven't been tempted by any of the 12 days of Kindle sale, so my TBR hasn't suffered this year! :D

I haven't really been tempted by many of the 12 days of Kindle sale compared to the last year's. I did get a few, but way less than last year!

I have this on my Wishlist. Heard many good things about it, but haven't quite decided to get it yet. Sounds like you are enjoying it. :smile:

I'm more than halfway through with A Little Life and I highly recommend it. However I do this with the warning that it's fairly depressing and sad...

Starting the year with one of my Christmas presents: 1815 - Regency Britain in the Year of Waterloo, by Stephen Bates.  Sounds a bit fusty, but is proving a very entertaining (and instructive) read.  I'm determined to read more non-fiction this year, so starting as I mean to go on!

Yes, I'm trying to up my non fiction game as well. I buy loads but then for some reason read very few in 2015!

I'm halfway through Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. I'm enjoying it but I think it deserves to be read in chunks rather than the snatches I currently have time for.

I'm halfway through Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. I'm enjoying it but I think it deserves to be read in chunks rather than the snatches I currently have time for.

Oh, this was a great read in my opinion, made more poignant by the fact that it was based on real events. I did read it in bigger chunks if I remember correctly but couldn't say whether that helped. Great writing and I keep meaning to read another of hers, I have Caleb's Crossing on my shelves which also gets good reviews. I hope you regard it as highly as I do when you get to the end. :)

Finished A Little Life - I flew through the 700 pages these last 2 days but I'm left with a very odd feeling; so because I  needed something very light after this, I started Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone earlier today :D It's my intention to re-read all of them this year, I always end up just re-reading the first one and I'm starting to forget details from later books.