Bobblybear's Book List - 2016

bobblybear

The Penultimate Truth - Philip K Dick

In this book, the majority of the worlds population have been forced to live underground in vast 'ant-tanks', with the belief that WWIII is raging overhead, and has been for the last 15 years. However, this is not the case. The war ended after less than 3 years, but the myth was perpetuated (and continues to be communicated via fake videos) to keep the earth's surface for the elite. Those living underground are forced to build their quota of robots ('leadies'), which they are told are fighting the war on the surface. In fact, the 'leadies' are servants and workers for the above-ground elite.

It's a fairly short read at just under 200 pages. As is typical with Dick he throws you right in the story with no overt description of some of the words he is using. Most of them are obvious and easy to figure out but some you have to pause to work out what he means. It has the effect (on me at least :blush2: ) of throwing you out of the story as you try to understand what he means. This wouldn't be a problem in a longer book, but because the book is so short, you are having to decipher too many things before you can lose yourself in the flow of the story.

I find his stories hit and miss, but on the whole I enjoyed it. I wish the ending was a bit clearer, but that could just be me missing the subtleties. :blush2:

4/6

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds interesting, and also very like a book synopsis I saw somewhere, minus the robots. Intriguing! So far I am loving Electric Sheep, so I think I may well become a PKD fan! Maybe I do like sci-fi, I just have to find the right kind!

Sleeping Giants - Sylvain Neuvel

Twenty years ago, an eleven year old Rose Franklin came off her bicycle in the woodland and was knocked unconscious. An hour or so later, she wakes up surrounded by emergency workers all staring down at her. It turns out she had fallen and landed on top of a massive sculpture of a human hand.

Rose is now a scientist, and in charge of the project to seek out more of these giant pieces of anatomy, and to determine who put them there and why.

I wanted to like this book, as the premise sounded interesting, but I struggled with it a lot. Mostly, it was the format that didn't agree with me. The story is told solely through a series of interviews which are conducted by a nameless and unidentified government official. This format meant that we don't ever get to go into enough detail about the characters or the project. The format also fails in it's attempts to build a story about the romantic lives on the characters, and this part comes across very poorly. It just didn't work for me, and the result was a very weak and amateurish story.

World War Z was told in a similar fashion and that worked a lot better, even though I didn't actually like that book. But I remember it being very detailed and looking at the zombie outbreak from various perspectives, whereas this one falls flat.

Not recommended.

2/6

Coldbrook - Tim Lebbon

This was an extremely fast paced end-of-the-world book with a bit of a twist.

After more than a decade of failed attempts, Jonah Jones has finally opened a 'breach' between Earth and it's parallel dimensions. This all takes place deep underground in a secret government laboratory called Coldbrook. When the breach is opened, scientists simply observe creatures/insects from the other side. When these creatures pass the breach, they are killed (by getting an electromagnetic shock which ends their life without destroying the tissues). Soon though, a bipedal creature passes through the breach into our world, and the you-know-what hits the fan.

I enjoyed it. If you are in the mood for a fun, not-too-serious action filled read then this is for you. It's a hefty book – the paperback is over 600 pages – but reads quickly, and it only took me a couple of days to read it.

It dragged a little bit towards the end, and some parts could have been trimmed to keep everything moving at the earlier pace, but overall it was a fun read. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as The Silence - which seemed a bit 'leaner and meaner', but I'm still glad I read it.

4/6

The Doll Maker - Richard Montanari

Richard Montanari writes serial killer thrillers set in Philadelphia, featuring Jess Balzano and Kevin Byrne as his key detectives. I thought I had read all of the 'Byrne and Balzano' series, but I'm surprised to find there are 9 in total and I think I have only read 4. :o

It looks as though my library has most of the series in the catalogue but a lot of them are out on loan which explains why I haven't seen them on the shelf.

Anyway, back to the book.....

A teenage girls body is found posed on a bench outside a disused train station. Beside her is an envelope with an invitation to tea in seven days. Seven days later, the body of two young boys are found, with again another invitation to tea.

So begins the latest mystery to haunt Philadelphia.

This is an overpopulated genre, and I know that these books are always a reliable and satisfying read. They are never over-complicated with too many plot twists, and they still deliver a solid and decent thriller.

Recommended, along with the others (well, the ones I have read) in the series.

4/6

• 3 weeks later...

Columbine - Dave Cullen

I don't think there is anyone who hasn't heard of the massacre at Columbine high School, which was carried out by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold back in 1999.

This is a very comprehensive book which covers the months leading up to the massacre and also the struggle of students, teachers and the local community to put it behind them, many years later. It's very, very detailed, with no stone left unturned and looks at the event and all the people who were involved in any way.

A lot of criticism has been levelled at this book, saying that the author is blatantly wrong about how he describes the killers and how they fit in at school. However, I just think it's too well researched (and evidenced) to be as fabricated as people say it is. The author claims to have had access to all the police reports and other forms of evidence as well as interviews etc., many of which are now apparently publicly available. He is very careful to note where he uses direct quotes, and when he is filling in the gaps. At the end of the book he comprehensively goes through each chapter and references certain sections to disclose where he got his material from.

It's over fifty chapters long, and does move around timescales a fair bit. It starts with the massacre, and then goes back to several years earlier, and tries to build a picture of how the perpetrators were changing as they got closer to their plan.

It's the only book I have read on Columbine (though I have read a bit online) so I can't compare it to other points of view. I don't think any of them will ever give complete and accurate answers as to why the two boys did it, but this book does help to give a more comprehensive picture about the attack and the aftermath.

Highly recommended.

5/6

Yes, I echo Gaia, great reviews, BB.  I've only read one of Lebbon's, The Silence and enjoyed it.  Boy, his listings on Amazon is pretty amazing! 

Thanks, Pontalba. I haven't looked at how many other books he has written....I know my library only has the two (The Silence and Coldbrook) that I have read.

Ok, I've just looked at Amazon.....he's written loads! Looks like he has written some movie tie-ins and spin-offs as well (which can be very hit-and-miss, usually miss :D ).

• 3 weeks later...

After Dark - Haruki Murakami

I'm really getting into Haruki Murakami books, and while this one won't be a favourite, it was interesting enough to keep me reading. The story is told by an omnipresent narrator, and spans approximately 6 hours told in real time. The top of each page of the book shows the time, and it starts at a few minutes before midnight and finishes just as dawn is breaking.

Mari, unable to sleep and feeling unsettled is sitting alone in a cafe, when Takahashi, who is a friend of her sister comes in, recognises her and starts up a conversation. They discuss Mari's sister – beautiful but trapped in a coma-like sleep - and Takahashi's career/hobby as a musician. Intrigued by the conversation, Mari follows Takahashi out of the cafe and into a 'love hotel 'where she ends up assisting a young woman who has been assaulted. The story periodically jumps to Mari's sister, asleep in a room which is bare but for a TV. Although the TV is not plugged it, it switches on and begins to show an image when the clock strikes midnight. Mari's sisters story was the only surreal section, and while I usually don't understand Murakami's surreal parts, I've learned you just have to go with the flow and take it where it leads you.

It's a pretty short book – about 200 pages - as it only covers 6 hours, but that's enough time for Murakami to develop a reasonably interesting story.

3.5/6

Being Mortal: Illness, Medicine and What Matters In The End - Atul Gawande

Essentially this is a book about growing old and facing the inevitability of death. The author looks at how attitudes to elderly people have changed over the centuries and how the treatment of older people differs across various cultures. His point of view is often from a medical one (he is a surgeon) but not so much how to treat the physical health, rather how to treat mental health. His suggestion is that the modern approach which is treatment for treatment's sake is often not the best one, and does not take into account the quality of life of the patient.

The last third of the book is about his own personal experience in looking after his fit-as-a-fiddle father who was diagnosed with cancer when he was in his 70s.

I found it a pretty scary book actually, but the idea of death does terrify me. He goes into the physical side of it in detail and it's very hard reading, especially when describing in detail what has happened to some of his younger patients. At the same time, it happens to everyone, and I think his aim is to bring death to the forefront as something that needs to be discussed openly and honestly. His highest concern is that often no-one is asking the patient what they want, and what they are willing to tolerate, and he is a firm believer in asking these questions while the patient is in a state of mind to understand them and answer them honestly.

It was very enlightening and his approach is very human, especially when relating his experiences with his father.

It's not an easy read but he is very honest about what his patients have gone through, and he makes many good points in support of what he is trying to get across.

4.5/6

Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver

This is set in a rural Appalachian farming community, and is essentially the story of the lives of two women. Deanna is a ranger who has all but shunned society. She is happily enjoying her solitary life, when she meets Eddie, who throws her feelings into turmoil.

Lusa is a newly married city girl living on a farm with her husband Cole. Less than a year after their wedding, Cole dies in an accident (not a spoiler - this is mentioned in the blurb) and Lusa is left on her own to look after things. She is not liked by Cole's family who see the farm as theirs, and do their utmost to make her feel unwelcome.

The first chapter was very shaky and I didn't like it at all. It was written like a tawdry erotic novel and I thought the book was just going to be about a horny woodswoman :lol:. Thankfully I persevered, and the remainder of the book strengthened and started being about their characters rather than their lustful thoughts. I mean, I'm no prude but it was really tacky. :giggle2:

I got very caught up in the story and loved how nature was one of the main characters of the book. The detail about the surrounding land, and it's inhabitants was lushy written and I loved reading about coyotes and moths, and the various other creatures that caught the attention of the characters.

After the first chapter, there was such a good story there, with interesting characters (some of the best characters were the peripheral ones – especially two elderly squabbling farmers, who were just brilliant :D )  and storylines throughout.

Highly recommended.

5/6

Good to know about Prodigal Summer. I bought it, just because I like Barbara Kingsolver so much and have tried it, but haven't been able to get through the first few pages. I was disappointed as I've liked everything else I've read by her.

Good to know about Prodigal Summer. I bought it, just because I like Barbara Kingsolver so much and have tried it, but haven't been able to get through the first few pages. I was disappointed as I've liked everything else I've read by her.

Persevere with it....it gets a lot better. :smile:  My heart sank while I was reading the first chapter, because the style was so different to what I was expecting based on The Poisonwood Bible. But once you get through that section, it picks up immediately.

Horny woodswoman.  :giggle: I've never read anything by Kingsolver. Anyone care to recommend their favourite?

Great reviews Bobby :)

Thanks, Noll. :smile:  I've only read The Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer, and I think I preferred the latter. They were both good though. I seem to remember trying to read The Lacuna, but can't remember anything about it. :dunno: All her books seem to be evenly rated on Amazon, so maybe pick the one where the blurb interests you most. :readingtwo:

Finders Keepers - Stephen King

This is a loose sequel to Mr Mercedes, and features several of the same characters of that book. I can't remember too much about Mr Mercedes, and didn't recall most of the characters but that didn't ruin it for me.

The story starts in 1978, when famous author John Rothstein is murdered by a fan who was dissatisfied by the direction his books took. The murderer is Morris Bellamy, who steals the unpublished manuscripts and some money. Feeling the heat, Morris buries the goods in an old suitcase and hides it in the woods. Shortly afterwards, he is arrested on an unrelated charge and sent to prison for 30 odd years.

Fast forward to now. Pete Saubers is a teenager, whose life is thrown into upheaval when his father is critically injured while waiting in line to fill out a job application (the event which took place in Mr Mercedes). Out for a walk in the woods, he stumbles across the manuscripts and the cash and uses the latter to send regular anonymous donations to his parents, hoping it will help ease their troubles.

However, Morris Bellamy has just been released from prison, and is fully intending to come back for his loot – the manuscripts being the main thing he is interested in.

In steps Detective Hodges (from Mr Mercedes), who now runs the Finders Keepers detective agency. Pete Saunders' sister suspects her brother is in trouble and enlists Hodges' help to find out what is going on.

I liked this book more than Mr Mercedes. I just preferred the storyline.  It took a fair while for Hodges to make his appearance, but I enjoyed reading about the events leading up to that point. I like the majority of Stephen King's books - he writes characters very well and tells great stories, and this one is no exception.

I look forward to reading the next book - End of Watch - which is the last in the trilogy.

4.5/6

Oh wow- I loved The Poisonwood Bible (Noll- read that one!), so if PS is preferred, I'll totally give it another shot! I can also say Animal Dreams, The Bean Trees and it's sequel, Pigs in Heaven are all good.