bobblybear

Bobblybear's Book List - 2016

I'm way behind on last years blogs coz I wasn't on the forum much at the time - just popping in to say, completely agreed with you about More Than This. Started off great but by the end I was so annoyed by it I wrote a rant about it hehe.

Well I for one really liked More Than This - to me there wasn't supposed to be a definitive ending, you're meant to make your own mind up. :)

Lots of people liked it, I think Bobbly and myself are in the minority tbh! I think Ness just doesn't sit well with me in general, aside from Monster! I read his other superhero one too and wasn't mad about that either.

The Rest of Us Just Live Here? Nope - that was an ok read for me, but I didn't like it that much. But A Monster Calls and More Than This I do like. :)

I still think his Chaos Walking trilogy was his best.  The first one especially was excellent, and I got my book group - made up mostly of older, retired women - to read it, and anyone who got past the first few pages (which are unusual) loved it.  I also loved A Monster Calls, but haven't read any more, although I do keep meaning to.

I loved A Monster Calls but have been apprehensive about reading anything else by Patrick Ness because I've heard less positive things about his other works. I'll give one of his other books a go at some point though. Good to hear some positive reviews also (Michelle and Chesil).

Oh, I've just remembered I also read The Crane Wife which is for adults rather than aimed at the YA market.  I enjoyed that one too, although it's got a few mixed reviews from others. :)  I think you'd like the Chaos Walking trilogy, Gaia.

I haven't been blown away by the other Ness books I have read (A Monster Calls and The Knife of Never Letting Go). I know he primarily seems to write YA which isn't a genre I'm all that into, so maybe that's why I don't 'get it'. :dunno: