Bobblybear's Book List - 2016

bobblybear

I'm way behind on last years blogs coz I wasn't on the forum much at the time - just popping in to say, completely agreed with you about More Than This. Started off great but by the end I was so annoyed by it I wrote a rant about it hehe.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I for one really liked More Than This - to me there wasn't supposed to be a definitive ending, you're meant to make your own mind up. :)

Lots of people liked it, I think Bobbly and myself are in the minority tbh! I think Ness just doesn't sit well with me in general, aside from Monster! I read his other superhero one too and wasn't mad about that either.

I still think his Chaos Walking trilogy was his best.  The first one especially was excellent, and I got my book group - made up mostly of older, retired women - to read it, and anyone who got past the first few pages (which are unusual) loved it.  I also loved A Monster Calls, but haven't read any more, although I do keep meaning to.

I loved A Monster Calls but have been apprehensive about reading anything else by Patrick Ness because I've heard less positive things about his other works. I'll give one of his other books a go at some point though. Good to hear some positive reviews also (Michelle and Chesil).

I haven't been blown away by the other Ness books I have read (A Monster Calls and The Knife of Never Letting Go). I know he primarily seems to write YA which isn't a genre I'm all that into, so maybe that's why I don't 'get it'. :dunno:

• 1 year later...
On 05/06/2016 at 11:17 AM, bobblybear said:

Beatrice and Virgil - Yann Martel

This is a very odd book, and when I borrowed it I was hoping for something like Life of Pi, which I loved.

Until the last chapter, the book was heading for a 2/6, but the last chapter pushed it to a 4.5/6.

4.5/6

I love Yann Martel's Life of Pi, Self and The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios. I've just read Beatrice and Virgil in one sitting I really have no words to express how it has made me feel. Stunned is the closest. Stunned in a good way. Speechless though. My husband noticed I didn't do my usual thing of talking non-stop for half an hour about the book I've just finished.

• 2 weeks later...