Chaliepud's Reading and Recreation in 2016

chaliepud

Which books have you ordered?

I hope you get to go on some long walks with the dogs :). How are they?

They're doing well, Obi is his usual grumpy self but of course lovely with us, 12.5 years now but still enjoying decent length walks and the occasional paddle! Jojo is great fun but has had a niggle with one of her back legs so having a break from agility at the moment.

I have ordered some books that have been on my Amazon wish list a while, most of them are second hand but described as in as new or very good condition from companies with good ratings, so fingers crossed! They are:

Come Away With Me - Karma Brown

The Consequences of Love - Sulaiman Addonia

The Devil's Music - Jane Rusbridge

Covenant With Death - John Harris

Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden

A Brief Affair - Margaret Leroy

Gone to Soldiers - Marge Piercy

Driftwood Summer - Patti Callahan

Eternal on the Water - Joseph Monninger

Word War 1: Commemorating the 100th Anniversary - Kim Lockwood

:readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Obi is enjoying his walks :). Sorry to hear about the niggle with Jojo's back leg :(, but I'm glad to hear Jojo is doing well otherwise.

That's a lot of books, I hope you enjoy all of them :):readingtwo:!

I'm behind with people's reading logs, I mean following them, work gets in the way of one's hobbies  :angry:   :D  I'm glad to hear you had a nice trip to Windsor, seems like you had a great Birthday! And lots of books, bought with tokens and gift ones :D What a great brother you have... He isn't single by any chance is he? :P:lol: Just kidding. 

I'm so happy to hear Obi's his usual self! :smile2: And I really hope Jojo's leg will heal properly as soon as possible!! I'm sure she's hankering for a go at agility again, but rest she must. 

Sounds like you are about to have a rather messy and possibly 'stressy' time of life what with all the renovations, but it's a good time of year, I hope it's as rainless as possibly can be in the UK, for you to be able to stay outdoors with Obi and Jojo, and read as much as you can :)  And think... Summer's only on its way! We still have it all coming to us :exc: 

• 2 weeks later...

All these books you are listing and I haven't heard of any of them... :D

Ok, I'm not the only one :D

Have fun this summer with them!

Although I did steal your reading of The Girl in the Blue Coat :)

Edited by Anna Begins

I have to come fourth. Pun intended.

Maybe chalie and her family's just picked up on some really new really cool books and soon enough she's read them all and reviewed them, and we'll find ourselves buying the very same list of books  :hide:

Some emoticons removed...sorry! 

I'm behind with people's reading logs, I mean following them, work gets in the way of one's hobbies    I'm glad to hear you had a nice trip to Windsor, seems like you had a great Birthday! And lots of books, bought with tokens and gift ones  What a great brother you have... He isn't single by any chance is he? Just kidding. 

I'm so happy to hear Obi's his usual self!  And I really hope Jojo's leg will heal properly as soon as possible!! I'm sure she's hankering for a go at agility again, but rest she must. 

Sounds like you are about to have a rather messy and possibly 'stressy' time of life what with all the renovations, but it's a good time of year, I hope it's as rainless as possibly can be in the UK, for you to be able to stay outdoors with Obi and Jojo, and read as much as you can   And think... Summer's only on its way! We still have it all coming to us 

My brother is single! :D BUT, he seems to prefer a relationship free life and is happy to spend his life working, going to football, photography...and reading! He is a big reader like me and my parents, he tends to only read non-fiction, usually WWII so is more knowledgable than me!

Obi is doing great still and (touch wood) Jojo is doing well too, keeping her off agility a little longer just in case but doing some longer walks so she doesn't seem to mind.  I do hope Summer is on its way, you wouldn't think so today, we have the weather Gaia had yesterday, rainy and windy, thankfully I was up early so we had a nice walk before the rain started. 

We are meeting with the builder again today to go through the quote so we are getting there! Steve is home this week, so we are running around like idiots looking at bathrooms and fireplaces etc etc etc etc!! Such fun!!! :D :D (I may still be getting alcoves though, shallow ones, but alcoves nonetheless!)  :doowapstart:

All these books you are listing and I haven't heard of any of them... :D

Ha! I got the recommendations from various places including Amazon and Goodreads, based on what I have read, a few I am having delivered from the US as it actually works out cheaper than buying them over here, admittedly some are second hand but the sellers say they are in great condition so I will just have to keep my fingers crossed! :)

Ok, I'm not the only one :D

Have fun this summer with them!

Although I did steal your reading of The Girl in the Blue Coat 

:D Did you enjoy The Girl in the Blue Coat? I did but found it a little lacking in real depth and emotion.

Nope, I third not having heard of any of them! 

:) :) :)

I have to come fourth. Pun intended.

Maybe chalie and her family's just picked up on some really new really cool books and soon enough she's read them all and reviewed them, and we'll find ourselves buying the very same list of books  :hide:

I hope so, I will let you know! :)

Frankie !

Fifth here. But I hope Chalie enjoys her books anyway .

I'm sure I will, the law of averages says I must enjoy a good proportion of them? I do think I am getting better at choosing books that I will actually enjoy, I abandon far more these days :_

I am into the 100 or so pages of Fellside by M.R. Carey, the author of The GIrl with all the Gifts, can I just say, it is BLOODY FANTASTIC, I am getting more and more drawn in with every page, it is so atmospheric and tense!!! I just wish I had more time to read it! :)

I am into the 100 or so pages of Fellside by M.R. Carey, the author of The GIrl with all the Gifts, can I just say, it is BLOODY FANTASTIC, I am getting more and more drawn in with every page, it is so atmospheric and tense!!! I just wish I had more time to read it! :)

Ooh, I'm really glad to hear that, after the lukewarm reviews I was hearing!

• 6 months later...

Hmmm, this has been rather neglected this year; I have been on here but never seemed to find the inclination to post on my own log. It wasn't the best reading year for me, only 37 books read, mainly due to being busy with the house renovations and starting work in November, my first 'proper job' since before I had the children. I am loving it but am tired so therefore less reading. Hopefully I'll get more in the swing in the New Year, I really need to as it seems the less I read the more books I buy! Steve's job is in jeopardy at present so my mood has been a little low which I think has made me buy more book than I should, plus with the renovations I have more bookshelves than ever before and they would look horrid with anything other than books on them!

So as always my New Years resolution is to buy no/less books...wonder what the chances are of that...........

Anyways, Happy New Year to all my bookie comrades, may 2017 be a fantastic year for all in every way possible. :)  :hny:

I hope things work out with Steve's job. This is the first year I've seriously considered no/less books, so maybe we can support each other? :)

Thanks Michelle, we should know more in the next couple of weeks, the Iraqis are not the easiest to work with at the best of times!

Definitely we should support one another! I'm feeling pretty strong at the moment, I do have some Christmas money left over but have that earmarked for something else so I'll do my best not to cave! At least I'm working now so I have less time to hang around in Waterstones or sit online increasing the wish list, or more scarily the TBR.

I have started writing down what I own so should have a starting figure in the next day or two, annoyingly I haven't updated Goodreads with books I've given away so I can't rely on the numbers on there! I would guesstimate 130/40 though.

I'm sorry that 2016 wreaked havoc in your life in some ways, and that your reading wasn't quite up to par with previous years  :empathy:   I hope Steven's job will be secured soon! It's no wonder it's made you read less, and buy more. Book buying is so therapeutic, isn't it :blush: 

I hope you have a smashing reading year in 2017, chalie!  :friends3:    :readingtwo:

I'm sorry that 2016 wreaked havoc in your life in some ways, and that your reading wasn't quite up to par with previous years :empathy: I hope Steven's job will be secured soon! It's no wonder it's made you read less, and buy more. Book buying is so therapeutic, isn't it :blush:

I hope you have a smashing reading year in 2017, chalie! :friends3::readingtwo:

Thanks frankie, it is indeed therapeutic, but it needs to stop, partly for monetary reasons but mainly because I am feeling out of control and I hate that, and so does Marie! :D I made a list of all the books on my TBR in readiness for creating my 2017 thread and I counted 184, too too many!!

Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend, it was a busy week at work this week so happy that we have a quietish weekend ahead, I need to get some ideas for my bullet journal too! I suppose I shouldn't forget the housework too! :D

Thanks frankie, it is indeed therapeutic, but it needs to stop, partly for monetary reasons but mainly because I am feeling out of control and I hate that, and so does Marie! :D I made a list of all the books on my TBR in readiness for creating my 2017 thread and I counted 184, too too many!!

Feeling out of control is not that nice :D But I tell you, the Bullet Journal might help you with that. I only started it on Tuesday and I already feel more in control, and I've already done some things that I've postponed and postponed once again for some time now. And Brian said in the BuJo thread that he finds going through his BuJo therapeutic... So maybe this could be your new therapist: BuJo! :D 

184... Well, I would say it's manageable, and it's smaller than mine, but if the number gives you any anxiety, then yes, maybe book buying is banned for a while. Oh I hope your mojo returns with a vengeance and you won't even feel like buying new books as you'll be whizzing through your TBR :smile2: 

Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend, it was a busy week at work this week so happy that we have a quietish weekend ahead, I need to get some ideas for my bullet journal too! I suppose I shouldn't forget the housework too! :D

:D Oh, housework can wait... Put your minions to it :giggle: Happy BuJoing! :smile2: And I hope you get some reading done, too :smile2: Looking forward to seeing your new reading log! 

Feeling out of control is not that nice :D But I tell you, the Bullet Journal might help you with that. I only started it on Tuesday and I already feel more in control, and I've already done some things that I've postponed and postponed once again for some time now. And Brian said in the BuJo thread that he finds going through his BuJo therapeutic... So maybe this could be your new therapist: BuJo! :D

184... Well, I would say it's manageable, and it's smaller than mine, but if the number gives you any anxiety, then yes, maybe book buying is banned for a while. Oh I hope your mojo returns with a vengeance and you won't even feel like buying new books as you'll be whizzing through your TBR :smile2: 

:D Oh, housework can wait... Put your minions to it :giggle: Happy BuJoing! :smile2: And I hope you get some reading done, too :smile2: Looking forward to seeing your new reading log! 

Hmm, minions are all busy strangely, 2 of them for mocks revision so I suppose I can't complain, Charlie has his A2's this year and Maddie has her GCSE's, will be a stressy few months for them! I should be cleaning bathrooms but really son't have the energy, just spent 2 hours searching for an appropriate dog bed for ickle Jojo as the last one wasn't tough enough and fell apart after she bullied it!  :giggle2:

No books purchased in 2017 yet, 7/365 done! Not sure what percentage that is but it's a start!  :P

BuJo the therapist, I like that, and cheaper than the real thing for sure! First things first, will start my 2017 thread then start the Bujo (after a little research of best ways to do so. :)