Chaliepud's Reading and Recreation in 2016

chaliepud

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so late with the blogs this year (that sounds like an illness!  :giggle2: ) that I've still got loads to catch up with.  I hope you have a great year of reading this year. :)

To Be Read - currently 137
My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
The First Casualty - Ben Elton
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - Judith Kerr

Those are all great books - I do hope you enjoy them when you get round to them.  :)

Those are lovely pictures of Jojo.  :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Awwww, those are some great photos of Jojo :)!

Thanks Gaia! :)

Those photos are gorgeous!

The fourth one makes me giggle though, reminds me of Hover Cat (an internet meme)

tumblr_mfz33n9sf91re82nio1_500.jpg

:giggle2: I do sometimes wonder if her feet touch the ground!! :D

Great piccies!  I love watching dogs on an agility course, they just look like they're having the best fun in the world ... brilliant. :smile2:

They are, and so are their handlers, Jojo loves it so so much, and isn't always keen on waiting her turn! :D

Oh my lord, such happy pictures!! :wub: Jojo's flying through the obstacle course! And always a huge grin on her face :D Precious!! 

Ah, she is a very happy girl when she is working. She is a little lame on one of her front legs at present though so won't be happy tomorrow when she can't go. :( I'm sure it'll get better quickly though. :)

I'm so late with the blogs this year (that sounds like an illness!  :giggle2: ) that I've still got loads to catch up with.  I hope you have a great year of reading this year. :)

Those are all great books - I do hope you enjoy them when you get round to them.  :)

Those are lovely pictures of Jojo.  :wub:

Thanks Janet, I hope to get around to most of the books you highlighted in the next year or so, especially My Cousin Rachel and When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. :)

I'm quite busy at the moment trying to sort plans for having work done on the house, it starting off with us just planning to revamp the kitchen, now we want to knock that through to the dining room, move a staircase, move the downstairs bathroom into the lounge, which is too long at the moment, and all that entails! Could be great when it is done but not a simple process! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a rubbish week (kids! Men! Builders!) so of course I needed some therapy, yep, more books! :D not helping my plans for reducing my TBR but it was necessary and I do feel a little better! Half are charity shop buys so I can feel good about that too! :)

I got:

The Flowers of the Field - Sarah Harrison

The King's General - Daphne Du Maurier

Diary of an Ordinary Woman - Margaret Forster

The House by the Sea - Santa Montefiore

The Affair - Santa Montefiore

The Hidden Cottage - Erica James

Angel Dares - Joss Stirling

The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas-Home

The Little Shop of Happy Ever After - Jenny Colgan

Humans of New York- Brandon Stanton

Happy days! Have just finished The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan which was lovely and light, now about to start the sequel, Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery. :)

Edited by chaliepud

I own The Hidden Cottage and The House by the Sea but I haven't read them yet. I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)!

Thanks Gaia! :)

Sorry you've had a rough week :( I don't know any of those books except Humans of New York - that'll be a lovely one to keep. 

Enjoy :D

Thanks Noll, I was inspired for the Humans of New York after my daughter came home from there marvelling about the eclectic mix of people she saw there. :)

Glad you enjoyed The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan :)  I see you've also bought The Little Shop of Happy Ever After too - I read this one last week, and I loved it.  It now has my favourite fictional bookshop ... I want one! :D  They're nothing too heavy to read, but a nice bit of escapism.

Glad you enjoyed The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan :) I see you've also bought The Little Shop of Happy Ever After too - I read this one last week, and I loved it. It now has my favourite fictional bookshop ... I want one! :D They're nothing too heavy to read, but a nice bit of escapism.

Yes, exactly what I need right now, and who can resist a book about books! I'm quite lucky actually, I sometimes gripe about the size of my TBR but at least I always have a book to suit my mood! :)

Books bought in 2016.

Hopefully this will be a VERY short post!  :P

BLUE posts are new books, RED posts are charity shop bargains, GREEN posts are borrowed/gifted books.

FICTION

The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas-Home

The Woman Who Walked Into the Sea - Mark Douglas-Home

The Little Shop of Happy Ever After - Jenny Colgan

Angel Dares - Joss Stirling

The Ballroom - Anna Hope

The Little Paris Bookshop - Nina George

The Flowers of the Field - Sarah Harrison

The Hidden Cottage - Erica James

The Affair - Santa Montefiore

The House by the Sea - Santa Montefiore

Diary of an Ordinary Woman - Margaret Forster

The King's General - Daphne Du Maurier

South Riding - Winifred Holtby

December - Elizabeth H Winthrop

Ruby's War - Johanna Winard

Three Wishes - Liane Moriarty

The Tea Planter's Wife - Dinah Jefferies

A french Affair - Katie Fforde

NON-FICTION

Humans of New York - Brandon Stanton

Dead Wake - Erik Larsen

Frazzled - A Mindfulness Guide - Ruby Wax

Control Unleashed - Leslie McDevitt

Oh dear, I thought I was doing quite well but the evidence is to the contrary!  :o  :P 22 books already, in only 75 days, that is a book every 3/4 days!  :blush2: Plus, I have only read 9 books this year.. I really need to give myself a good talking to.  :giggle2:

I thought I was doing quite well having only bought 18 books, but then I realised I hadn't factored in the audiobooks from Audible! :blush:

I wouldn't worry too much; I'm up to 31, in spite of all sorts of resolutions. Part of the problem has been taking advantage of too many sales (especially Folio Society) and offers. Have managed to read just 5 of them so far, so really DO need to slow down!

Edited by willoyd

I was going to have a good year this year too and I'm up to 15!  Not as bad many as you, but still more than I intended!  :D

I suppose we have to comfort ourselves with the fact that we could be addicted to far worse things! Maybe it is a good job you got my message too late about the Windsor charity shops!  :giggle2:

I thought I was doing quite well having only bought 18 books, but then I realised I hadn't factored in the audiobooks from Audible! :blush:

Indeed, you must count those in, if only to make me look better!  :P

I don't count Kindle books or audio books!  :D   </cheat>

Definitely cheating!  :D

I wouldn't worry too much; I'm up to 31, in spite of all sorts of resolutions. Part of the problem has been taking advantage of too many sales (especially Folio Society) and offers. Have managed to read just 5 of them so far, so really DO need to slow down!

No, carry on! I'm feeling better already!  :D

Hopefully now that Spring is here the weather will warm up a little and I may be able to read in the garden, or I will take the dogs for longer walks with breaks for Obi and for me to read. Definitely something to look forward to in amongst plans for the house and looking after the garden. I am hoping to grow more veggies and fruit this year, so I need to start getting organised with that.  :jump:

My Mum is coming down tomorrow afternoon from Suffolk for a few days and we are off to the Ideal Home Exhibition on Thursday, I haven't been for over 20 years so I am very excited and no doubt will be duped into buying something that looks amazing when it is being demonstrated and a total flop at home!  :giggle2:

Oops, Waterstone's Buy one get one half price got me again! I went in for the final book in the Sally Green Half Bad trilogy and came out with 4 books! I got:

Half Lost - Sally Green (been looking forward to this one!)

The Lie Tree - Frances Hardinge (gorgeous limited edition cover and Costa book of the year)

Girl at War - Sara Novic

The Dressmaker of Dachau - Mary Chamberlain

I think I'll start with Half Lost while I still have a vague memory of what happened in the second book in the trilogy! :)

Edited by chaliepud

The Lie Tree - Frances Hardinge (gorgeous limited edition cover and Costa book of the year)

Congrats on your haul - have you read anything else by Hardinge? (Sorry if you have and I've asked before, I can never remember who has read what!) I'd love to see the cover. I have it on my tablet, along with a few more of hers (Fly By Night was one of my favourites of last year).

This will be my first by her but it sounds intriguing. I'm on my phone at the mo so this is the best I can do to show but it doesn't do the cover justice.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+lie+tree+limited+edition&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6gKHPsu3LAhXGnRoKHVL_A9wQ_AUICSgC&biw=320&bih=460#imgrc=Rsj7Lx5-enbY7M%3A

• 1 month later...

Well, another year older but clearly not any wiser, I had a lovely sunny trip into Windsor yesterday on my birthday and manage to purchase 10 books! :o 4 from the charity shop and 6 from Waterstone's. PLUS, my lovely brother bought me 3 books off my Amazon wish list. Well, I can't eat cake, so I had to have another sort of treat! :) I was lucky the books only cost me about £15 though as my Mum and Dad and lovely kids bought me book tokens. It would have been rude not to spend them within hours of getting them! :D

This is my haul:

Charity Shop

The Three - Sarah Lotz

Austerlitz - WG Sebald

People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks

The Household Guide to Dying - Debra Adelaide

Waterstone's

Fellside - MR Carey

Everyone Brave is Forgiven - Chris Cleave

The Seed Collectors - Scarlett Thomas

Songs of Love and War - Santa Montefiore

Testament of Youth - Vera Brittain

Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein

Gifts from my brother

Out of the Easy - Ruth Sepetys

Bodies of Light - Sarah Moss

The One That Got Away - Bethany Chase

All this at a time when I have less time to read than usual as we are preparing to have quite a bit of work done on the house! Will need to grab time where I can! :)

Thanks Gaia, I have just ordered some books from Amazon too, using some money I got, I will have to be strong after that as I have run out of room to put them and will most likely have to box the majority of them up while the works are being done!

We hope to get the final plans and quotes this week for the house, I have the kitchen plans in hand now, just need to tweak them a little bit.

I won't be able to do too much whilst the builders are working, housework will be a hopeless task in the main as I am expecting lots of dust! Hopefully the weather will be condusive to some long walks with the dogs, Obi will need to rest so I can take a book!   :readingtwo:  :smile: