Michelle's Graphic Novel and Comic Adventures

I felt as if I was cheating adding these to my normal reading list, plus I started in 2015, and am continuing into 2016 - so a separate list was created! :)

I've decided to not add authors / artists here. Sometimes there are more than one, plus there are often lots of different artists involved, and I don't want the list to be too complicated. (Bolded means the start of a series.)

The Walking Dead Compendium 1
The Walking Dead Compendium 2
The Walking Dead Compendium 3
The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes
Descender: Tin Stars
Revival: You're Among Friends
The Sandman: The Dolls House
Outcast: A Darkness Surrounds Him
Revival: Live Like You Mean It
The Sandman: The Endless
Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm
Doctor Who: The Only Good Dalek
The Stand: Captain Trips
Resurrection Man: Dead Again
Dark Satanic Mills
Absolute Death
The Wicked + The Divine: The Faust Act
Locke & Key: Welome to Lovecraft
The Wicked + The Divine: Fandemonium
Locke & Key: Head Games
Black Magick Comic 1 (iPad)
Beautiful Darkness
The Twilight Zone: The After Hours
Locke and Key: Crown of Shadows
Locke and Key: Keys to the Kingdom
Locke and Key: Clockworks
Locke and Key: Alpha and Omega
The Graveyard Book Vol 1

Deadpool: Dead Presidents

Marvel 1602

I have two wish lists, one for new graphics novels to try, and one for continuations.

The Walking Dead was my introduction to this area, but it's taken me a while to explore further. Not long ago I decided to start again at the beginning of the 1st compendium, and worked my way through all three. It's really interesting looking back, to see how the TV series has loosely followed the story arcs, but has changed details, and definitely some of the characters. I've now moved past the point of the TV show, and I'm looking forward to see what they do with the next two big arcs!

After finishing these, I realised that this form of reading is ideal for me when I'm having trouble concentrating (which is a lot at the moment). I've always loved illustrated books, and some of these graphic novels have the most amazing artwork. Also, Beth has just made her first comic for her graphic design diploma, and it's given me an insight into the process and the hard work. All in all, this is a different direction for my reading to take, but one I'm very much enjoying.

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman really has to be my favourite so far. The storylines are dark and fascinating, and the characters, especially Morpheus and Death, are wonderful. There seem to be a lot of different artists involved, and they all bring their own thing. 

I do like the fact that this is a completed series, so that I know it's already come to it's conclusion, and it won't drag on, or just finish at an odd point. There are 75 comics, in 10 collections; plus a prequel, and Endless Nights. I've read the first two, plus Endless Nights - the latter being my least favourite. It has a couple of excellent stories, but some of it is a little too unusual, and didn't quite work for me. 

I'm excited to continue with this series, but I have to watch cost - I do already have 3 on my shelf, with 4-6 coming from eBay (at a very good price!).

I'm a little divided over the Revival series - the first volume was certainly interesting, but the second has left me disappointed. The concept is that in a small rural town, some of the dead have come back to life, and some can not be killed. They're not zombies, some seem perfectly normal, whilst others are 'odd'. There's no explanation as to what happened or how, which I find frustrating, plus there are quite a few different storylines going on, and it jumps from one to the other, not actually progressing them that far. It's a decent enough read, but I don't think I want to pay too much for each issue, so will probably wait until they're cheaper, or in the library.

Outcast was also disappointing, and probably not one I'll continue with. In this world, there appears to be a lot of demonic possession, with one priest in particular who's trying to fight it, plus then the main character. My main issue is that too much space is used up without moving the story along. 

Descender was a change in direction for me, being SF - it's certainly brighter in tone and look, although there are some dark moments. It was released in Sept, and the 2nd volume isn't out until April 2016 - I'm not sure I like starting a new series, and having to wait so long! I'll probably leave this one be for a while.

Yesterday I picked up a few different titles to try from the library, and I read my first Star Wars one.. Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm. I've checked a few sites which have lists of all the Star Wars comics, and I can't see this one. It's supposed to be right at the very beginning, when the 'Jedi' are called 'Jed'aii', and we see the first glimpse of the 'dark side'. I have to say, I really rather liked it, and think I could easily get into the Star Wars comics. :)

My last read of 2015 was The Stand: Captain Trips. I've read The Stand previously, but long ago enough that I don't recall all of the details. I really enjoyed this, and will probably read it more than once, taking more notice of the artwork etc. There's a section at the end showing some of the character and cover artwork, and it shows the thought and time which goes into it.

I've read books 'translated' into graphic novels before, the two which come to mind are The Amulet of Samarkand and Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story. With the first one, I knew the story well, and I particularly like the humour in it. The graphic novel format felt very stripped down, and the humour didn't come across so well, so I wasn't keen. However, I hadn't read any of Interview with the Vampire, and I felt the graphic novel told the story very well (and the art in that one is gorgeous!). On the whole then, I feel as if graphic novels can be a good way of reading a story - maybe introducing to a reluctant reader, or to enjoy the artwork involved - but are probably not so good if it's a story you already know well. With The Stand, I'm removed enough from the actual book to enjoy this new format. 

So last night I tried a DC comic collection, Resurrection Man: Dead Again (2012 - I believe they're returning to old characters?). My question is, do all DC comics portray women in the same way, or did I get a bad example?! There were 3 main ones, and they all had oversized breasts, barely covered, short skirts or skimpy dresses, etc etc. 

I do appreciate that the main male character is often very muscly, with his shirt off, but it just doesn't come across the same way, and there are plenty of other male characters, not portrayed in the same way at all.

I'm afraid if that's the DC style, I'll be passing on it!

From what I've seen, that seems to be the style :( I admit, I haven't seen much, but one of my ex bf's was a huuuge comic guy. I want to see strong, amazing women (like Leia. I couldn't believe how totally bad*** she was when I watched Star Wars for the first time. I'd always thought she was a damesl because all I'd really known of her was the bikini scene). Now, because I saw how she holds her own and isn't afraid to fight, I want to read/see more. (Bad example since its film vs comics, but you get what I mean.) :)

Hopefully you can find some good GN's with female characters you enjoy reading!

I've only read one DC graphic novel (a collection of comics), which wasn't particularly good but I don't remember that it caused offense. But there weren't many women in the story to begin with, so maybe that's why. I agree with you both, it always annoys me when women are portrayed in such a way.

EDIT: It was Brian Azzarello, Jim Lee, Scott Williams - Absolute Superman For Tomorrow, a bindup of a lot of comics telling the story. I hadn't ever read a superman comic before and I found the story to be a bit confusing, for a newbie.

I've managed to get The Absolute Death from the library, and the world of The Sandman continues to awe me. Gaiman has created some great characters and stories, and I love his vision of Death. There are lots of different artists involved, and most have a style I love. They take these beyond a simple graphic novel, and into a work of art. I wish I had the cash to own this for myself. 

So now I have a new love to add.. The Wicked + The Divine. The idea behind this is that every ninety years, ten gods incarnate as humans, and live for 2 years. They tend to be powerful in some way, and they crave attention. The art in this is very different from The Sandman, but very vivid, and the story is dark and usual... I'm seeing a theme here in what I like! :)

So now I have a new love to add.. The Wicked + The Divine. The idea behind this is that every ninety years, ten gods incarnate as humans, and live for 2 years. They tend to be powerful in some way, and they crave attention. The art in this is very different from The Sandman, but very vivid, and the story is dark and usual... I'm seeing a theme here in what I like! :)

That looks really good! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Just finished the first Locke & Key storyline, which is written by Joe Hill. It's dark and quite gory in places.. very enjoyable! ;)

I was curious about this series as well, I am a big Joe Hill fan.  How many are there?  There is a lot, right?