poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts
  • Reading now?:The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:21 AM

I thought one of his funniest passages was in Down Under (UK) or In a Sunburned Country (USA)

“I am not, I regret to say, a discreet and fetching sleeper. Most people when they nod off look as if they could do with a blanket; I look as if I could do with medical attention. I sleep as if injected with a powerful experimental muscle relaxant. My legs fall open in a grotesque come-hither manner; my knuckles brush the floor. Whatever is inside—tongue, uvula, moist bubbles of intestinal air—decides to leak out. From time to time, like one of those nodding-duck toys, my head tips forward to empty a quart or so of viscous drool onto my lap, then falls back to begin loading again with a noise like a toilet cistern filling. And I snore, hugely and helplessly, like a cartoon character, with rubbery flapping lips and prolonged steam-valve exhalations. For long periods I grow unnaturally still, in a way that inclines onlookers to exchange glances and lean forward in concern, then dramatically I stiffen and, after a tantalizing pause, begin to bounce and jostle in a series of whole-body spasms of the sort that bring to mind an electric chair when the switch is thrown. Then I shriek once or twice in a piercing and effeminate manner and wake up to find that all motion within five hundred feet has stopped and all children under eight are clutching their mothers’ hems. It is a terrible burden to bear.”

#22 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

Haha, I like that. :D

#23 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Reading now?:The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

Very funny, wonder how his wife puts up with it! ;)

#24 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

He has such a way with words.  So funny.

#25 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

Very funny, wonder how his wife puts up with it! ;)

If its anything like as bad as my Dad and his wife, probably by having separate rooms like they do! lol :D

#26 Louise56

Louise56

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKent, England

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

I quite liked Notes from a Small Island, but didn't care for Little Dribbling - got tired of all the complaining.

#27 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

I quite liked Notes from a Small Island, but didn't care for Little Dribbling - got tired of all the complaining.

Yes, it was quite uncharacteristic - seemed far more negative than his other travelogues. Perhaps he's just that bit too old to enjoy that kind of travel so much now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users