26 replies to this topic

#1 Anna Faversham

Anna Faversham

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSouth of England

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

I've just finished listening to the audio version of Bill Bryson's 'The Road to Little Dribbling'. It's great. He doesn't sound such a happy bunny these days but his observations on the things that are concerning him about the UK are witty, wry and worth considering. Excellent value, 11 CDs.

Edit: I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread, I just didn't know where to put this - please move it if it should be somewhere else!

Edited by Anna Faversham, 31 December 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#2 vodkafan

vodkafan

TBR now out of control

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts
  • LocationDeepest England

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Now you have got me wondering what Bill Bryson's voice sounds like....

#3 JeanW

JeanW

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

I'm half way through reading the book and finding it just as funny as Notes from a Small Island. Keep laughing aloud every few sentences. yes, he's perceptive and rightly critical of lots of things about England but like for me, the good things outweigh the bad.

#4 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

I love Bill Bryson. He has such a dry sardonic way of looking at things. Agree though, with the latest book he comes across as more of a grumpy old man than he ever did before (while still being funny; I just didn't agree with him quite as much). He also did a radio series on the origins of the English language which is available as an audiobook through Audible - or at least, was. That's excellent too.

#5 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

I have recently read The Road to Little Dribbling found it is so funny, and his observations about some of the towns I did not always agree with but was funny non the less.  I have not read any of his other books but I did think he came across as a grumpy old man but a funny grumpy old man.

#6 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

I really enjoy Bill Bryson!

#7 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

I have recently read The Road to Little Dribbling found it is so funny, and his observations about some of the towns I did not always agree with but was funny non the less.  I have not read any of his other books but I did think he came across as a grumpy old man but a funny grumpy old man.

Shirley, if you enjoyed this one I would urge you to try The Lost Continent, which was his first, travelling around the USA, and Neither Here Nor There, travelling around Europe. Also Notes From a Small Island which is the original tour of the UK that Little Dribbling was a sequel to. :)

Edited to add - not a lot of the grumpiness in either ;)

Edited by Flip Martian, 21 July 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#8 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • Reading now?:The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

Oh yes Neither here Nor There is good as well.

#9 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

Thank you for the recommendations I wasent sure about his other works or whether they would be dated now.  But will certainly give them a shot.

#10 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

Shirley you might well find some of the older books a bit dated, I read Notes from a Small Island last year and parts of it felt very out of date, although I suppose it's inevitable when a book was written 20 odd years ago.  I did find it hard to recognise some of the places he visited that I've been too more recently, happily most of them were better than when he visited!

#11 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

Madeleine maybe because he wrote about them in his books the places thought they had better get their acts together and tidy up.

#12 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

ha ha maybe, not sure if he's that powerful though!

#13 vodkafan

vodkafan

TBR now out of control

• Advanced Member
  • 5,945 posts
  • LocationDeepest England

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

Reading a lot of Bryson lately!  Just finished Made In America and Mother Tongue, which are both about the English Language. Very interesting.

#14 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

Reading a lot of Bryson lately!  Just finished Made In America and Mother Tongue, which are both about the English Language. Very interesting.

If you liked those, he did a radio series about the origins of the English language which was very interesting. Its available as an "audiobook" on Amazon, Audible and I guess, elsewhere. Journeys In Englis, it was called.

#15 ashwagandha

ashwagandha

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

"A History of Nearly Everything" has been on my TBR shelf for way too long. reading all your comments on his work makes me wanna start reading it soon :) hope it's as good as the other ones you've all mentioned!

#16 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

"A History of Nearly Everything" has been on my TBR shelf for way too long. reading all your comments on his work makes me wanna start reading it soon :) hope it's as good as the other ones you've all mentioned!

That's actually the one of his I didn't finish! I keep meaning to go back to it. I still haven't read "At Home" yet either...

#17 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

I loved A Short History of Nearly Everything. :)

#18 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts
  • Reading now?:Grunt - Mary Roach

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

^ I second this. I'm re-reading it at the moment, and there is so much information in there. It must have taken years of research. :thud:

#19 MissLiss79

MissLiss79

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:25 PM

I think Bill Bryson is the only author who has literally made me laugh out loud. My favourite bits include the bit in A Walk in the Woods when he tells the annoying female companion that his star sign is cunnilingus and probably my favourite of all time is the morning after he gets drunk with Allan at the bar in Down Under: " Where coffee where?" 😂

#20 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

There's a bit in Neither Here Nor There where he describes walking in Paris, I think, as a young man and a bird craps on him. His description (which I think involved the words "pot of yoghurt") had me LOL'ing a lot at the time. There have been many others of course but that one always stayed with me. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users