Frankie reads 2016

frankie

Okay, I did a little wiking and stuff and I'm intrigued! Sarah is going on my wishlist :yes: There are copies at the library, too, so I might reserve a copy... I wish they had an English copy but I can't be too picky. 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, Brite writes erotica too :D. If I remember, you read Exquisite Corpse, right? Lost Souls is good, not disturbing, but different. I just found out, her name is Billy Martin.

Edit- that is a messed up person!

Edited by Anna Begins

Lol, Brite writes erotica too :D. If I remember, you read Exquisite Corpse, right? Lost Souls is good, not disturbing, but different. I just found out, her name is Billy Martin.

Edit- that is a messed up person!

Oh yeah, I do remember having heard about Brite's erotica :D I wonder if it's as warped as her horror... :lol:  :hide:   Wow, you have a great memory, as yep, it's Exquisite Corpse that I've read by her. I didn't remember the title myself, I had to go to Goodreads to double check :blush: (For some reason I confuse EC with Lost Souls.) They didn't have any of her books at the libraries in Joensuu, and I don't know if I've checked the Helsinki Met area ones... I should totally do that now :D You're making me reserve a half dozen of books by the end of the day :D 

:D. As bad as me!

The erotica is strange as well, lots of vampires and blood (I went through an erotica phase, but Anne Rice killed the genre for me).

The erotica is strange as well, lots of vampires and blood (I went through an erotica phase, but Anne Rice killed the genre for me).

Should've known that her erotica is strange, too :) I don't personally get the erotica-appeal of vampires myself, so to me it's pretty interesting how there's so much of it out there. I guess I'm vanilla :D 

Should've known that her erotica is strange, too :) I don't personally get the erotica-appeal of vampires myself, so to me it's pretty interesting how there's so much of it out there. I guess I'm vanilla :D

In erotica, I'm not either, but Brite does know how to write em though! It was my own fault because I have no love for Rice. Did see her house in New Orleans however! It was black :P. And I got to speak over the phone with her, I don't think I could talk lol

In erotica, I'm not either, but Brite does know how to write em though! It was my own fault because I have no love for Rice. Did see her house in New Orleans however! It was black :P. And I got to speak over the phone with her, I don't think I could talk lol

What is it with Rice that you don't appreciate? I'm curious :) And how the heck where you able to talk to her on the phone?? How did that come about?? :D

Edited by frankie

I used to produce a famous radio show and she had just entered her religious phase, we had her on as a guest and I lined up the interview. When I called her before going on air, I was mostly intimidated!

I just don't like her writing... Interview With a Vampie was great, I wanted to get to Queen of the Damned, but Lestat...omg. I couldn't read more than 50 pages before I just didn't care about Lestat.

I used to produce a famous radio show and she had just entered her religious phase, we had her on as a guest and I lined up the interview. When I called her before going on air, I was mostly intimidated!

Oh wow, that is so cool! I mean about you producing a famous radio show :o You're like Roz from Frasier!! :D:cool: I had no idea!  Any other famous guests that come to mind...? 

I just don't like her writing... Interview With a Vampie was great, I wanted to get to Queen of the Damned, but Lestat...omg. I couldn't read more than 50 pages before I just didn't care about Lestat.

Wow, I totally agree! IWaV was amazing, and I wanted to read more, but the Lestat book... :thud: I was bored off my pants and didn't get further than 50 pages or so!! :thud::lol: 

Ha ha, we both disliked Vampire Lestat!

Yes! I was a Roz :)

I spoke to Mary Roach, one of my favorite interviews... I was actually able to talk to her, instead of not being able to form words like with Rice! I am absolutely obsessed about the bodies of dead people and the 21 grams they instantly lose...for no explanation.

I met and saw 3 lectures by Clive Barker too. Wonderful man.

Oh! I also met Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic wreak) and Buzz Aldrin (astronaut, one of two to first step on the moon... Neil Armstrong stole his thunder lol)

I have a love/ hate relationship with my spell check :P

Edited by Anna Begins

Ha ha, we both disliked Vampire Lestat!

I don't know anyone who's liked it... Although I have to say, I don't think I've discussed the book with many other people :D Nicola, who used to come on here on a regular basis years back, also had a huge problem with Lestat the book... It was going nowhere :D  I don't know if I should give him another chance. Because I would definitely like to read the other books in the series! 

I spoke to Mary Roach, one of my favorite interviews... I was actually able to talk to her, instead of not being able to form words like with Rice! I am absolutely obsessed about the bodies of dead people and the 21 grams they instantly lose...for no explanation.

Mary Roach?! She must be so cool... I read Stiff in 2010 and totally loved it! It's in my top 5 of non-fiction books, for sure. I can't believe how hard it made me laugh, given the subject matter... :lol: A brilliantly written book :yes: You're so lucky you got to talk to her! Was she funny? I bet she was very easily approachable and nice :)

I met and saw 3 lectures by Clive Barker too. Wonderful man.

Oh! I also met Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic wreak) and Buzz Aldrin (astronaut, one of two to first step on the moon... Neil Armstrong stole his thunder lol)

Wow, that's a lot of celebrities! Poor Buzz Aldrin :D Oddly enough (us having mentioned Roz and Frasier), I think I remember him from Frasier... He was co-narrating a documentary on space with Frasier...? I now have to check whether I'm thinking of the right man! 

Edit: Oh crap, imdb doesn't give anything for Aldrin in Frasier. Who was I thinking about, then? :unsure:

Edit: Ah, Senator John Glenn or something. Well that's an egg on my face :D 

Edited by frankie

22. You Sent Me a Letter by Lucy Dawson 

AmazonAt 2 a.m. on the morning of her fortieth birthday, Sophie wakes to find an intruder in her bedroom. The stranger hands Sophie a letter and issues an threat: open the letter at her party that evening, in front of family and friends, at exactly 8 p.m., or those she loves will be in grave danger.

What can the letter possibly contain? 

This will be no ordinary party; Sophie is not the only person keeping a secret about the evening ahead. When the clock strikes eight, the course of several people's lives will be altered for ever.

Thoughts: What a wonderfully suspenseful premise for a thriller! But unfortunately, the execution of the novel failed in my opinion. One of the main 'twists' was discovered too easily and too soon, from the perspective of the protagonist, and I thought it had to be something else, because it was too easy and obvious and even boring.. But then I found out that that was it. Of course there were future twists in store but after the first one having been such a disappointment, I couldn't really muster up any enthusiasm for the rest. 

The blurb was so promising, but the novel was a let-down. :(  

2/5

23. No Safe House by Linwood Barclay

Blurb: Seven years ago, Cynthia Archer was plunged into a nightmare that almost cost the lives of her family. Today, the past has finally been laid to rest but the memory of that terrible ordeal lingers on and Cynthia is finding it hard to give her daughter the freedom to make her own mistakes.

Then two neighbours are murdered in what seems a senseless and motiveless attack, and the whole town starts to share a sense of foreboding. But it's only when Cynthia's daughter and her delinquent boyfriend break into a strange house and find something they definitely weren't looking for that the nightmare begins again for real....

Thoughts: As a novel in itself, there was nothing wrong with this one. It's fast-paced, there are twists and turns, and it's well written. However, having read a number of Linwood Barclay's novels, I was expecting a bit more from this one. I guess, truth be told, I was expecting more blood and mayhem :blush: Am I really getting too callous? :unsure::D 

3/5

Just got great 'customer service' from a Finnish publishing house... :o  No, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, but I'm very flattered! 

Like I've said before, Boss has become a huge fan of Augusten Burroughs and we've been sad that A Wolf at the Table hasn't yet been translated into Finnish. Boss is good at English but she's not accustomed to reading books in English so she said she'd take forever to finish a novel. 

Well, yesterday I just felt like I had to know: is there anything else by Burroughs that's going to be translated into Finnish? I searched the big wide web and found out which publishing house is responsible for the Finnish translations of Burroughs's works. It didn't take me long to find that the books have been published by Sammakko ('Frog'), and as they had a few e-mail addresses in their contact info, I just wrote to one of them asking about the whole thing. 

And now I just got an e-mail from them, saying that they'd considered translating AWatT, but there's been so many English wordsmithery moments in the book that it had felt like it couldn't be translated into Finnish. :( I was sad to hear that! However, they said that they are thinking about translating Lust & Wonder into Finnish. :smile2: Boss has been talking about that book so she'll be happy to hear the news. Well, possible news, anyways. Nothing's decided yet. 

But to think that they would answer my e-mail so soon, and on a weekend, too! ... :o Very exciting! 

How nice of the publisher to e-mail you back so soon. I hope Lust & Wonder will be translated :).

Yep, let's keep our fingers crossed :smile2: It'll be fun to see how long it takes to get published (if at all). 

It's hard to quote on my Kindle Fire, but John Glenn became a Senator, after being the first American Astronaut to orbit Earth, so you weren't too far off!

I've been wanting to go to a flea market / recycling center for a while now, just to go and browse books that might be there. Just for fun. I haven't been doing that in ages and I've missed it. So I visited a flea market that's next to the subway station near my work place. I made a few great finds! :smile2: 

I got: 

- The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker - I've been wanting to read this for almost a year, I think! I love the sound of the blurb :smile2: I think it's going to be a great one, but it's so long that I've hesitated to start it before. I've borrowed it from the library many times, I'm happy that now I have my own copy for when the mood to read it strikes :smile2: I got it for 3€.

- The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad - I've had this on my wishlist for a while, I was so excited to find a copy of the book! :smile2: This was 1€.

- The Ladies of Missalonghi by Colleen McCullough - I read this some years ago, I don't remember why... I think I picked it up by accident and when I read the story was taking place in the Blue Mountains, I had to read it :smile2: And I loved it! Such a darling story :smile2: Very excited to have found an English copy of the book. 1€. 

Today was the last day of my 4 month trial period at work, and from tomorrow I'll be working for my Boss with a contract that will be valid until further notice :smile2: So I guess I felt like celebrating a bit by going book browsing. Boss and I will be celebrating my first 'real' day at work, my 'inauguration' as she put it, by going to Sello where she's been wanting to go for weeks, and which happens to be the big shopping mall next to where I used to live. I haven't been there since September, so it's going to be rather nostalgic! 

Reading summary for May

19 - The Last of the Bowmans by J. Paul Henderson - library loan 4/5

20 - Here's Looking at You by Mhairi McFarlane - library loan 3/5

21 - Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs - re-read 4/5

22 - You Sent Me a Letter by Lucy Dawson - library loan 2/5

Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes - library loan - abandoned for now - narrator was talking too much politics for my liking and I was fearing this would continue throughout the book. Not what I'm looking for in a book at the moment. 

Jewelled Moth by Katherine Woodfine - library loan - abandoned for now - didn't suite my current mood 

23 - No Safe House by Linwood Barclay - library loan 3/5

24 - Dry by Augusten Burroughs - re-read 5/5

This Is Life by Dan Rhodes - library loan - currently reading

Considering that I read only two books in April, I did pretty darn well in May! One 2/5 novel, the others were at least likable or very likable, and one 5/5, too. (I think I have only two 5/5 books so far this year, so it's not going all too well!) 

I'm really enjoying This Is Life by Dan Rhodes, so it's a good start for June. It might be my next 5/5 read... 

Me, too, it was a definite change to the previous two months. Phew! :D I'm so looking forward to the read-a-thon this weekend! Too bad you won't be joining, Athena. But there's the weekend after that for you :) 

According to my Goodreads account, I'm 17 books behind schedule at the moment :lol: :lol: This doesn't really bother me as I can't help it if mojo was running amok earlier this year. But as I'm now feeling my mojo and mojo is feeling me, I'd like to try to catch up a little and not be so much behind. I have a lot of really interesting books borrowed from the library and coincidentally some of them are rather short, so they will come in handy. :)