Frankie reads 2016

frankie

I'm still oh so very happy about the two book hauls :D I have the books on my table, I don't want to shelf them yet... :blush: I want to be able to see them :smile2:

I've got that too sometimes after I've bought books, so I understand how you feel :)

But how can we defend the fact that we are both too lazy to finally check whether her books are standalones or not :giggle2::D

Haha, we can't, really, but I would've looked it up had I been planning on reading it soon.

Oh yay!! I hope you will enjoy it very much! :smile2: I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think my reading has turned so sour I wouldn't even recognize a good read if I had one :D:unsure::D I just found out about another novel by her that was published at the beginning of the year. I think I have heard about it before, but I never read it because they didn't have a copy at the library. They've now acquired one, so I've reserved it. I hope it will be better!

I hope that one is better! I can't find online which one that would be. This is what she's published according to Wikipedia:

Three Wishes (2004)

The Last Anniversary (2006)

What Alice Forgot (2010)

The Hypnotist's Love Story (2011)

The Husband's Secret (2013)

Big Little Lies (2014)

Truly Madly Guilty (2016)

GoodReads also mentions 'Mothers and Others', which is written by several authors. Wikipedia doesn't mention that one, so maybe it is just inaccurate :shrug:. I hope you enjoy the book either way :)!!

Glad to hear you're buying lots of books even if you're not reading lots, it's all book activity, right? :)

Totally true :yes:.

The Forgotten Garden is indeed a standalone read, it is many years since I read it but I know I loved it when I did, The House at Riverton was ever so slightly better in my opinion, but it was marginal.

Thanks, those things are good to know :).

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn`t my favourite film ever, but I`d really like to see the 2nd film; I liked the interaction between the two leads. :) Did you watch The Killing S3 with Your Hottie in it ?   :)

Yeah, I like the interaction between the two leads in the book. I'd love to see how it translates in film :smile2: I've not watched The Killing, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it's been shown here in Finland. But thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if I'll like it if an opportunity presents itself! :) 

I`ve Kimpled it, and like the look of it - plus, I can`t recall reading anything else by a Finnish author, so that`s a big plus. :)

Yay! :) I would definitely recommend this as a first Finnish novel. (Sofi Oksanen's Purge would be very high on that list, too.)

hope that one is better! I can't find online which one that would be. This is what she's published according to Wikipedia:

Three Wishes (2004)

The Last Anniversary (2006)

What Alice Forgot (2010)

The Hypnotist's Love Story (2011)

The Husband's Secret (2013)

Big Little Lies (2014)

Truly Madly Guilty (2016)

GoodReads also mentions 'Mothers and Others', which is written by several authors. Wikipedia doesn't mention that one, so maybe it is just inaccurate :shrug:. I hope you enjoy the book either way :)!!

Oh crap... The book I referred to is Three Wishes. The publishing year for that on the library's website was 2016 (I checked it just now to see if I'd imagined the whole thing), but the book was initially published a decade ago, as I can now see from your wikipedia reference. I guess the edition I reserved was this year's edition and that's why it said it was a 2016 book. Damn! I really thought she'd published a novel earlier this year :unsure::D 

In other news, I went to visit the Salvation Army yesterday and bought a copy of The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. I was pretty sure it would be on a few book challenges of mine, but it wasn't :D Never mind, I've been wanting to read something by Amy Tan for a while now! :smile2: It was only 1,50€ and the money went to charity ;) 

49. The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen

GoodreadsIn The Keeper of Lost Causes, Jussi Adler-Olsen introduced Detective Carl Mørck, a deeply flawed, brilliant detective newly assigned to run Department Q, the home of Copenhagen’s coldest cases. The result wasn’t what Mørck—or readers—expected, but by the opening of Adler-Olsen’s shocking, fast-paced follow-up, Mørck is satisfied with the notion of picking up long-cold leads. So he’s naturally intrigued when a closed case lands on his desk: A brother and sister were brutally murdered two decades earlier, and one of the suspects—part of a group of privileged boarding-school students—confessed and was convicted.

But once Mørck reopens the files, it becomes clear that all is not what it seems. Looking into the supposedly solved case leads him to Kimmie, a woman living on the streets, stealing to survive. [...]

Thoughts: As mentioned above ^,  this is the second novel in the Department Q -series. I liked this one better than the first book. I don't think I'm much used to thrillers where the criminals are introduced to the reader in the beginning, and then we follow the detectives trying to figure out whodunnit, and all the while we also get to see how the criminals are coping with their crimes and the aftermath and whatnot. I don't think this type of narration is my most favorite, when it comes to thrillers at least, but I'm getting used to it with this series.

I liked the crimes and storylines better than in the last book, and I was happy to read more about Mørck and Assad. 

4/5

Oh crap... The book I referred to is Three Wishes. The publishing year for that on the library's website was 2016 (I checked it just now to see if I'd imagined the whole thing), but the book was initially published a decade ago, as I can now see from your wikipedia reference. I guess the edition I reserved was this year's edition and that's why it said it was a 2016 book. Damn! I really thought she'd published a novel earlier this year :unsure::D 

In other news, I went to visit the Salvation Army yesterday and bought a copy of The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. I was pretty sure it would be on a few book challenges of mine, but it wasn't :D Never mind, I've been wanting to read something by Amy Tan for a while now! :smile2: It was only 1,50€ and the money went to charity ;)

Ah, that explains it :). I hope the novel will still be good though :).

That's so nice :)! I hope you enjoy The Bonesetter's Daughter.

• 4 weeks later...

Nina is Not OK sounds very interesting. Certainly a premise I've not really read much about. Will have to add that one to the list. 

Hope you're doing ok Frankie :)

Nina Is Not OK was certainly very interesting! I hope you will like it if and when you get to reading it! :smile2: 

I'm quite alright, thanks Alexi! I hope you've been great, too! :smile2: 

Ah, that explains it :). I hope the novel will still be good though :).

I'm now dreading that it's not, but I'll try to keep an open mind. It's not however the first time that the library's details of individual books have thrown me off... I just got a copy of a book that I thought had been written in the 60s, as I think the library said it was published in the 60s. I have no idea how that happened. Maybe the book I searched for was a totally different novel... :thud: I'm now confused! :D

That's so nice :)! I hope you enjoy The Bonesetter's Daughter.

Me too! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I went to a charityshop yesterday, just to have a look. I found a copy of Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold :lol: In mint condition, too! It was 3€, and I kept laughing... I had to buy it. 

I also found a Finnish copy of The Dinner by Herman Koch! It was also in mint condition and only 2€ so I had to buy it. I think I first gave the novel 3/5... No, my goodread account says I gave it 4/5. But I think if I were to rate it now, after having thought about it for 2 years (not on a daily basis, but often, in any case :D ), I would give it 5/5. I definitely want to re-read again. 

I feel like lately a lot of books I've bought have been books I've loved reading and want to re-read and own... I'm not as frivolous about buying new books and giving them a go. It's so handy to have the library for that :wub:

post-4458-0-62852100-1481379568_thumb.jpg

51. This One Is Mine by Maria Semple

AmazonViolet Parry is living the quintessential life of luxury in the Hollywood Hills with David, her rock-and-roll manager husband, and her darling toddler, Dot. She has the perfect life--except that she's deeply unhappy. David expects the world of Violet but gives little of himself in return. When she meets Teddy, a roguish small-time bass player, Violet comes alive, and soon she's risking everything for the chance to find herself again. Also in the picture are David's hilariously high-strung sister, Sally, on the prowl for a successful husband, and Jeremy, the ESPN sportscaster savant who falls into her trap. For all their recklessness, Violet and Sally will discover that David and Jeremy have a few surprises of their own. THIS ONE IS MINE is a compassionate and wickedly funny satire about our need for more--and the often disastrous choices we make in the name of happiness.

Thoughts: I read somewhere here on the forum that Maria Semple, the author of Where'd You Go, Bernadette? has published a new novel in 2016 and I went to reserve a copy of it at the library. When I did a search for Semple, I found there was also a copy of a 2010 book by her, and I wanted to read it, too. 

I think I had an idea of how this book might go, and which characters I would like. It started out that way, but I loved how Semple didn't just contend herself with what could have been charicatures of characters, but she went deeper and I found myself empathizing with even the characters I originally disliked. 

Unfortunately I started a similar sort of book right after having read this one, so the two books are a bit mixed in my mind and I honestly can't remember how the book ended. Where is my mind these days :rolleyes: 

Anyhow, I really liked reading the book, and I think I actually like this one a tiny bit better than Where'd You Go, Bernadette? :) 

4/5

November reading summary

48 - The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen  3/5

49 - The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen 4/5

50 - Kellari by Maaria Päivinen 2/5

51 This One Is Mine by Maria Semple 4/5

The way my reading's been going in the past months, this was actually a pretty good reading month. I discovered a new Swedish crime series which I'm looking forward to continuing, and I read a book by a Finnish female author I discovered at the book fair in September, and then I read a great novel by Maria Semple :) Not too shabby! 

Yay for you finding those two books for cheaper. It's nice you like The Dinner more now that you've had a bit of time to think about it. That happens with some books, doesn't it? And sometimes it happens the other way around, where upon reflection the book doesn't seem as awesome as one first thought. It's nice to see how the Finnish cover has the lobster on it with the blue background, a lot of the Dutch covers have a lobster on it (with a blue background).

Anyhow, I really liked reading the book, and I think I actually like this one a tiny bit better than Where'd You Go, Bernadette? :) 

Oh goody! I loved Where'd You Go, Bernadette? This is on my wishlist, but it's fairly expensive at the moment, so just waiting for the price to come down before I give it a read.

Yay for you finding those two books for cheaper. It's nice you like The Dinner more now that you've had a bit of time to think about it. That happens with some books, doesn't it? And sometimes it happens the other way around, where upon reflection the book doesn't seem as awesome as one first thought. It's nice to see how the Finnish cover has the lobster on it with the blue background, a lot of the Dutch covers have a lobster on it (with a blue background).

Is the lobster cover the exact same cover you have in your original version? It would be odd if it was a different one.. Why not just use the original :D 

Oh goody! I loved Where'd You Go, Bernadette? This is on my wishlist, but it's fairly expensive at the moment, so just waiting for the price to come down before I give it a read.

Cool beans! :) I hope you can find a decent priced copy soon :smile2: 

I got my Birthday/Christmas present from boss today, she was early! I had a feeling she would give me something as she's been talking about what possibly to get for me, but she did more than I thought! I got two really gorgeous coffee mugs (they are pretty big, the photo doesn't do their size justice), and a book by a Finnish author. I want to show a photo: 

post-4458-0-35725600-1481833620_thumb.jpg

Is the lobster cover the exact same cover you have in your original version? It would be odd if it was a different one.. Why not just use the original :D

It is the same lobster :)! Sorry, I should've checked that in the first place rather than going by memory and not being sure how it looked like :P

I got my Birthday/Christmas present from boss today, she was early! I had a feeling she would give me something as she's been talking about what possibly to get for me, but she did more than I thought! I got two really gorgeous coffee mugs (they are pretty big, the photo doesn't do their size justice), and a book by a Finnish author. I want to show a photo:

Those are two gorgeous mugs :)!

Ooh, pwetty mugs ! :)

Totally! :) And my color, too! I love  all blue and all blue-green shades. (Oddly, though, I don't like light blue.)

It is the same lobster :)! Sorry, I should've checked that in the first place rather than going by memory and not being sure how it looked like :P.

Of course you went by memory, that's what I would've done, too! :D But then I got interested in the subject matter :D I could've checked your Dutch originals myself, too :blush: 

Makes me think of Phoebe saying 'He's her lobster' in Friends :D 

Those are two gorgeous mugs :)!

They are :smile2:  

On another note, I went Christmas shopping for my parents and I may have accidentally bought three books for myself, instead :unsure: One of the books is a Finnish novel which I thought suits Dad pretty well, but now I want to read it myself :blush: And then I found a copy of a book I've read in Finnish and loved, on sale, and had to have it. I also found a copy of Dexter's Final Cut by Jeff Lindsay on sale and as it matches the rest of my Dexter books, I had to have it. 40% off! Actually, all the books I bought were 40% off. I'm so happy with having found the Dexter book! I only now have the one to buy and that'll complete the set. I've not read the last two books in the series, but now I have them and so I can read them. But I've wanted to re-read the fifth book in the series before moving on, because that one is my favorite and I've only read it once, and so I'll now probably have to get a copy from BookDepo or Adlibris :D  I think I'm totally going to re-read the whole series, though, and not just the fifth book... It's such a great series. 

Makes me think of Phoebe saying 'He's her lobster' in Friends :D

A great quote :D!

On another note, I went Christmas shopping for my parents and I may have accidentally bought three books for myself, instead :unsure: One of the books is a Finnish novel which I thought suits Dad pretty well, but now I want to read it myself :blush: And then I found a copy of a book I've read in Finnish and loved, on sale, and had to have it. I also found a copy of Dexter's Final Cut by Jeff Lindsay on sale and as it matches the rest of my Dexter books, I had to have it. 40% off! Actually, all the books I bought were 40% off. I'm so happy with having found the Dexter book! I only now have the one to buy and that'll complete the set. I've not read the last two books in the series, but now I have them and so I can read them. But I've wanted to re-read the fifth book in the series before moving on, because that one is my favorite and I've only read it once, and so I'll now probably have to get a copy from BookDepo or Adlibris :D  I think I'm totally going to re-read the whole series, though, and not just the fifth book... It's such a great series.

Yay for new books! And at such a good deal! :D.

A great quote :D!

I had a feeling you'd recognize it :lol:

Yay for new books! And at such a good deal! :D.

I'm still so happy about them! :smile2:

Beautiful mugs! The handles are gorgeous too.

They are, aren't they :wub:

:sign0072:

I hope you're having a great pre-birthday and that you have a great birthday too.  :flowers2:  :friends3:  :present:

Awwww thanks babe!     :flowers2:  :friends3:   My friend A who left the party first (as he has work tomorrow) posted on his FB feed that it's snowing. So now I'm thinking, damn, I might actually have to go out and do what I always do when it's my Bday: go out in the middle of the night and do a snow angel. I thought today I wouldn't have to do one as there's no snow, but now it's snowing :D I guess I should take it as a sign... Kind of like Lorelai :D :D

Edit: Kylie, I totally made Rocky Road for my Bday :D Nom nom!!!

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I wasn't done with book buying for the year... :unsure: I saw an ad for a sale at the book store, and because I got early off work today, I decided to see what they had to offer. I got two book for -40%, so 7,75€ each: 

Upstairs at the Party by Linda Grant

A Trick I Learned from Dead Men by Kitty Aldridge

Both of the titles sounded really familiar and so I thought I must have them on my wishlist, and I was also sure I'd read reviews on both of the novels, written by someone on here. When I checked on my mobile, there was not a single mention of either of these books on the forum! :o  I have no idea why I thought I'd heard of them on here.... Maybe they are titles I've seen on the library's website :shrug: I was intrigued by both of the books and bought them anyways. 

I truly hope these are the last books I will have bought this year! 

Edit: By the way, there was also a copy of one of the two Dexter books I still need to buy to have the whole set, but it was the wrong size (I prefer the smaller paperback instead of the large), so I didn't buy it! : :drama:  :D  I'd rather wait till I find the right edition, or then order them online. 

Edited by frankie