Frankie reads 2016

frankie

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the movie Chocolat, Athena? I'd heartily recommend it. But it'll make you want to eat chocolate :D At least that's how I felt!

I'm sorry to butt in when I'm not Athena but I just wanted to say that I'm glad you liked the film, but that It just didn't do it for me at all.  It made me so cross that it was so different from the book.  I know film-makers/directors can't always stay 100% true to the book, but the changes made just seemed to be completely pointless and (for me), destroyed the main point of the film.  :blush:

I'm sorry to butt in when I'm not Athena but I just wanted to say that I'm glad you liked the film, but that It just didn't do it for me at all.  It made me so cross that it was so different from the book.  I know film-makers/directors can't always stay 100% true to the book, but the changes made just seemed to be completely pointless and (for me), destroyed the main point of the film.  :blush:

That's good to know Janet, thanks :). I'll try to read the book first, before seeing the film.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very late to the replies on this thread from you guys, sorry! :blush: 

That sounds like a great idea, anytime :D.

I was never a choc-a-holic but in my 'late years' I've come to like chocolate more and more... :D 

Shame you didn't love The Velveteen Rabbit, but I think you're right, it's something that is powerful for children and retains that impact into adulthood. That's certainly how it was for me.

I imagine that's the case with quite a few books from our childhood. I know I have my own favorites and then when people read them, I'm disappointed that they didn't love them quite as much as I did. Nostalgia is always an extra benefit :smile2: 

You are not butting in at all! :smile2: I welcome all discussion in my thread :smile2: I'm sorry, though, that the movie didn't do anything for you. :(  Like you, I know movie makers need to follow their 'own path', but boy oh boy do we get upset if they mess up our favorites too badly!!  :theboss:  Nobody likes that sort of p*ss taking  :empathy:   However, in this particular case, I first saw the movie, and therefore I loved it. I only found out about the book years later. I started the book and almost finished, but then something came along and made me put the book aside. Unfortunately! I really want to read it now, though. Actually, I had no idea the movie's so different from the book... Thanks for the warning! 

That's good to know Janet, thanks :). I'll try to read the book first, before seeing the film.

That might be a good idea indeed! :) 

I can't remember if I've told you... Boss's home is under renovation for 6 weeks, and so we've relocated to a rented cabin of sorts, owned by an organization which caters for people with disabilities. We've been there for 3 weeks now. The thing about the place is, it's so close to the sea! :wub: Our cabin is only about 50 meters from the seashore... It's as close as I've ever lived / worked to a sea before :wub: I have a few pictures I want to show you... 

Here's a picture of the cabin. There's a lovely veranda, and inside the cabin there's one big room with all the necessities and then there's a bathroom. I really like it :smile2: 

post-4458-0-07144400-1473535684_thumb.jpg

This is some sort of villa that's only maybe 300 meters from our cabin. I don't know what it was built for, but it's very lovely. It's for sale, so if you fancy it... :D 

post-4458-0-45668700-1473535762_thumb.jpg

And this is the view you get right next to the villa... It's just gorgeous :wub: I was totally in awe when I went to check it out. 

post-4458-0-10683800-1473535824_thumb.jpg

This is the view from the sea shore that's 30 meters from Boss's cabin. This was a sunny day, so particularly lovely :smile2: We get to see two swans, and a selection of other birds. I would've loved to go and dip in the sea, but there's seaweed and I cannot deal with that. I'm not a good swimmer and I get really icky if there's anything 'extra' in the lake/sea. I don't like to be touched by any kind of seaweed or anything. Yucky yuck! 

post-4458-0-05820000-1473535957_thumb.jpg

And as much as I love the sea... this little bugger is a greater joy to my work days :wub: This is Mokka, a mixed breed dog who lives in a cottage 20 meters from ours. His owner is really nice and fun, we met her on our first week at the cabin. She's from north Karelia just like me! No wonder she's so great :D Anyhow... We met Mokka when he was on his daily walk and ever since then I always go and greet Mokka if I see him about. Just the other day, I saw Mokka from our window and was watching what he was up to, and Boss noticed I was watching out the window and asked me what was up. She then told me to go and say hello to Mokka because I obviously wanted to :D Mokka is very, very friendly, he likes other dogs and people. He's let me rub his belly, and one time he had his tennis ball in his mouth while I was rubbing his belly and he just closed his eyes and he looked like he was reaching his personal nirvana... :D I absolutely adore him! He has these stubby short legs like a corgy, and he likes to reach out to people by jumping them and putting his front paws on one's legs... :wub:

(Mokka means 'mocha' in Finnish. Very approriate for a Finnish dog, as we do like our mocha :D

post-4458-0-53769200-1473536105_thumb.jpg

Edit: Looking back, the pictures of the sea don't seem like they're of a sea... The place where we're at, is very islandy and so there's a lot of land to look at, too. But it's the sea alright. You can actually see the cruise ships to Sweden and back sail by on a daily basis. It's pretty mind boggling for someone like me who's always lived a very inland kind of life. 

Edited by frankie

Those are some lovely pictures :wub:! The cabin looks so nice, as does the villa. Mokka looks so cute :). The sea looks beautiful, I do like looking at the sea (but like you, I don't want any seaweed either, I'm not keen to go into the sea, unless I'm wearing protective shoes or something (always wore them as a child, don't have any that fit me now)). I hope you and Boss have a good time in the cabin :).

Sounds lovely, I agree about the seaweed, it's horrible when it gets wrapped round your legs!  I'd be looking out of the window all day if I worked where you are, much nicer than tall buildings and traffic fumes :o so we can't even have the windows open sometimes.

Edited by Madeleine

What lovely pics of the cabin and the sea etc :wub: .. how bloomin' exciting :cows: :cows: :cows: .. and little Mokka too <3 

Breathe in all that beautiful sea air!! will do you the world of good :hug: 

In other news, I'm very sorry that your recent reads have been 'utter crap' :(  :D You need to read a seafaring tale .. you need to read The Summer Book actually (though I know you're not a big fan of Tove  :blush2: ) .. it'd be just the thing. Anyway, it's very difficult, when you're by the sea, to do anything in your spare time but gaze and gaze at it .. so breathtakingly beautiful.

Hope you're having the best of times my lovely :hug:  

Those are some lovely pictures :wub:! The cabin looks so nice, as does the villa. Mokka looks so cute :). The sea looks beautiful, I do like looking at the sea (but like you, I don't want any seaweed either, I'm not keen to go into the sea, unless I'm wearing protective shoes or something (always wore them as a child, don't have any that fit me now)). I hope you and Boss have a good time in the cabin :).

Mokka is the cutest little darling! I love it how he wants to meet and greet everyone! The other day, my boss and I were outside and Mokka came over with his owner and I got down to pet him, and then the owner was leaving and wanted Mokka to come along, but he wouldn't leave without going over to my boss and greeting her, too! :wub: He put his snout under boss's hand in order to get her to pet him :D 

I don't think protective shoes would be enough, I'd need one of those fisherman's long boots :D $_3.JPG?set_id=2

Sounds lovely, I agree about the seaweed, it's horrible when it gets wrapped round your legs!  I'd be looking out of the window all day if I worked where you are, much nicer than tall buildings and traffic fumes :o so we can't even have the windows open sometimes.

It's so nice looking out the window :yes: Although I confess, I keep looking out for Mokka, to see if he's out :D It's become a habit, I catch myself looking towards his post :D 

Those photos are beautiful, Frankie :) I'd love to live that close to the shore!

Me, too! It's so relaxing. And we've had good weather for the past two weeks, too! It's like a mini summer came by to bid its fairwell :smile2: 

The dog's lovely too.

He's awesome :wub: 

Gorgeous pics ! Love the doggie. :D

How nice that your Boss let you go out to have some time with a canine friend. :)

My boss is the best in that and other respects, too :smile2: Not everyone would let people do that! 

What lovely pics of the cabin and the sea etc :wub: .. how bloomin' exciting :cows:.. and little Mokka too <3 

Breathe in all that beautiful sea air!! will do you the world of good :hug: 

I've only got one week left, and at least two of those days will go in a mad hurry, packing things up and cleaning the place before we leave for boss's home. As much as I planned to go walking about the area after work, in order to relax and be one with the world, I've hardly ever done it :blush: I always just want to go home and have dinner and take a shower. I'm such a lazy arse :D

In other news, I'm very sorry that your recent reads have been 'utter crap' :(  :D You need to read a seafaring tale .. you need to read The Summer Book actually (though I know you're not a big fan of Tove  :blush2: ) .. it'd be just the thing. Anyway, it's very difficult, when you're by the sea, to do anything in your spare time but gaze and gaze at it .. so breathtakingly beautiful.

No Tove for me yet, please :blush: How about Moby Dick? Do you think that book would break the utter crap reading spell? :D Truth be told, my last read was wonderful, a bit similar to the Swedish 100yo. Man. And the book that I'm currently reading will be ace, I think. If only I had the time to get into it! 

Hope you're having the best of times my lovely :hug:  

It's been erratic :D I hope you've had a greater time with things, my darling! I hope to catch up with you soon!! xo

I want to share a few more pictures with you guys.

post-4458-0-47527400-1474719312_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-54488100-1474719289_thumb.jpg

Mokka was being playful the other day, and wanted me to throw the ball... Instead I started taking pictures :wub: He would've much preferred playing ball... Which we did, after a few photos. He doesn't give up the ball on command, he wants the other person to wrestle for it :D 

After one week of staying at the cabin and seeing Mokka a few times, he came in one morning, running as fast as he could with his short legs, and when he reached me he immediately got down and on his back and wanted belly rubs :D It was sooo cute! :wub: His owner reconned he knew me by then. I was so impressed, and kept swooning :wub: 

I hate to have to say goodbye to him next week :( :( :(  

In other news, I've read no book off my TBR but have acquired five books... :unsure: I got them all from the library for free:

- Kate Atkinson: Case Histories (this I've read before, it was really good! I want to re-read the book before continuing with the series)

- Jeffery Deaver: Edge (couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this English copy!)

- Ernest Hemingway: A Moveable Feast (I already have an English copy, but thought that this Finnish copy might be easier to read... so lazy!)

- David Mitchell: The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (this has been on my mental wishlist)

- Nick Ortner: Tapping Solution (this sounded interesting) 

I've forgotten to post my August reading summary....

August
38 - Veljen vaimo by Henna Helmi Heinonen - library loan  - 4/5
39 - Kun mustarastas laulaa by Linda Olsson - library loan  - 1/5
40 - The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell - library loan - 2/5
41 - Charlotte Street by Juliette Mead - TBR book - 1/5
Also started and abandoned many other books, as mojo was fighting me. 

What a horrible reading month :D Good riddance!

Mokka is so cute!! It's so nice you get to spend some time with him :). He looks so cute. None of our dogs haven been 'give the ball back on command' type. My aunt used to have a dog who did that, he loved it when she threw the ball and he'd come bring it back. All 4 of our dogs (that we've ever had) have been more of the 'throw the ball, I catch it, then you try to take the ball away from me and come catch me' idea. But I don't mind :D.

Sorry August was such a bad reading month for you :(.

• 2 weeks later...

Mokka is so cute!! It's so nice you get to spend some time with him :). He looks so cute. None of our dogs haven been 'give the ball back on command' type. My aunt used to have a dog who did that, he loved it when she threw the ball and he'd come bring it back. All 4 of our dogs (that we've ever had) have been more of the 'throw the ball, I catch it, then you try to take the ball away from me and come catch me' idea. But I don't mind :D.

I think I'm used to dogs that give back the ball on command, as I've met more of those than the other kind, so meeting Mokka was fun in that respect, too. He's quite small and therefore he doesn't have the strength a much bigger dog would have, to hang on to the ball, so it was comfortably easy to get the ball from him :smile2: But like you said, we don't mind as long as there's dogs around to have fun with in the first place :D

Mokka is a sweetie!! My Reuben usually gives the ball back, but sometimes he holds on it after he's had to chase particularly hard for it. :lol:

:lol: As he should, because one ought to be proud of doing a particularly hard chase :D Oh Reuben... He's such a good, handsome boy!! 

Mokka is very cute, amd very well behaved. Jojo loves to chase a ball as you know and will bring it back but hasn't the patience to put it on my hand like Obi does, she either drops it or throws it at me! Will you be seeing him again soon? :)

I'd love to see how Jojo throws the ball at you!! :lol: My friend's chihuahua is a bit... ahemstupidahem... He'll run after a toy to fetch it, and he'll pick it up, but then he will walk only a few steps and then he'll drop the toy, as if I'm supposed to go there, and then get it and throw it again :D I'm sorry to call him a bit stupid... But he really is. My friend has said the same thing: he's a bit of a simpleton. 

I don't know if I'll see Mokka again... :(  As much as I love him and would love to see him on a regular basis, and as much as his owner is a fun, nice lady, I'm too socially awkward to have asked for her number when I still had the chance. I would feel rather shy, going to see her just to get to see her dog. She's from the same area as me and she's fun, but I think I'd struggle to find things to talk about. :unsure: (Yes, I know we could always talk about Mokka, but I wouldn't want her to think I'm meeting her just because of him... Even though that would be the truth :blush: If you know what I mean!) However, my Boss and the woman exchanged numbers and so I'm hoping Boss will want to ask her to visit some day, when I'm at work :smile2: That would be swell! 

Edited by frankie

September reading summary:

September
42 - Hylätyt by Michael Hjorth & Hans Rosenfeldt - library loan 4/5
43 - Slammed by Colleen Hoover - library loan  2/5
44 - Varaudu pahimbaan by Petteri Nuottimäki - library loan  4/5

Only three read books :D:thud: Oh well. Two of them were great: the Hjorth&Rosenfeldt thriller which is the 4th or 5th one in the series (I think the first one has been translated into English... or is in the making, at least... But I might be wrong!), and the Nuottimäki book, which is a Swedish comedic debut. Some have compared it to the 100yo. man and while I see what they mean, I still think they're different. But it was still funny! It took me several days or even weeks to read it, because of being busy at work and stuff, but I still loved it. I'd like to re-read it again some day, when I'm not swamped with stuff, and pre-occupied. 

I was supposed to meet a friend in town today, but it got cancelled. As I was already on my way to town, I decided I'd finally go to the bookstore to which I have a gift card, which I got for my Birthday last year. And what do you know, there was a sale. It wasn't a very good sale, as I personally find the prices of books in bookstores very high to begin with (in Finland, books are more expensive than in the UK, for example.), and there were more interesting paperbacks in Swedish than in Finnish... But I did find a copy of The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows for 4,90€. It's a book I almost, almost bought earlier this year, for 13€ or so... Totally psyched about getting a much cheaper copy! Then I got a Finnish copy of The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman by Mamen Sánchez. I've read the book before, and I totally loved it, and have been wanting to get a copy for myself (as I read the library copy). The book was 3,90€. 

Then I was troubled: what to buy? There was nothing else on sale that I wanted... And they've completely changed the sections and it's just so stupid... They used to have this very clear-cut, awesome section of English titles, but now they've dissected it to different sections and they've thrown in the Swedish titles and the classics are in a completely different area. :thud: I wish they'd kept to sections by language... Sigh!! Anyhow... I spotted an English copy of Once in a House on Fire by Andrea Ashworth, which I've been eyeing before, too. It's one of the books on poppyshake's '1001 Books' list, and so it must be good. I now decided to get  the book, finally :smile2: I did the maths and thought I still had almost 10€ left... I had a few different options, but then went for I Saw a Man by Owen Sheers. It's a book which I've seen on the library's new-acquired-books-list online. It sounded interesting enough and I thought I could take a gamble. 

The four books were a bit over the 30€ limit I had on the gift card, but who cares... :giggle2: I paid the extra from my own pocket, quite happily! :cool:

Oh, and I also got three other books from charityshops and secondhand bookshops a week or so ago: 

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend 

Punainen erokirja by Pirkko Saisio 

These three are all books that I've already read, but as I've loved them, I always wanted to get my own copies of them. I was so happy to find all of them! :smile2:

And now some pictures... 

post-4458-0-21781700-1476465609_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-16685400-1476465629_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-03098300-1476465645_thumb.jpg

The last one is the Finnish cover of the A. J. Fikry book, and I wanted to show it to you as it's a Finnish original. What do you think? I read the book in Finnish, initially, and I think the cover's nice, although I find the white male head above the book semi-disturbing... :D There are so many beautiful editions in English... 

Edited by frankie

And why did Bob Dylan win the Nobel Prize in literature?? Most bizarre news I've read in a while. I was talking about this with my Boss the other day... I'd read an article where it said that Haruki Murakami was a strong contender, and I got excited. Then my Boss said people have been speaking about Bob Dylan, and I was like, whaaaat? He's not an author... :rolleyes: And then the next day I read that Bob Dylan got the prize. :thud: Boss was happy, I was not. Boss loves poetry and has written poems herself (and has self-published one book which I've read, and I liked it, by the way!) and so she was way more understanding about Dylan's victory as I was. What the f.