Frankie reads 2016

frankie

Amateur !  :giggle2:  

I used to buy a lot more, but my TBR was getting out of control... I prefer having a number of TBR books which I think I can tackle before I die... :blush:

Is there a Finnish mystery translated into English which you`d really recommend ?  

That depends... Do you mean a murder mystery or more of a general mystery?

I hope you enjoy all of your newly acquired books! I quite liked The Lies We Told. I have The Dirty Streets Of Heaven on my TBR. I completely forgot Tim did a review on it. I bought it because I love the author's Otherland series. Good to know Tim liked the book.

Good to hear you liked The Lies We Told! :smile2: The book was likened to a Jodi Picoult novel, according to the cover. Would you agree?

I looked, and saw you have read 38 books so far this year? So you've bought almost as much as that, I guess though since you also read library books, that your TBR didn't go down (like it says in your sig, 4 read books). Sorry to hear that. Book buying is so much fun, isn't it. My TBR hasn't gone down either this year (so far). I love buying books.

My TBR is never going down... :blush: But sometimes the urge to go into a secondhand bookshop / charityshop is too big! One must live a little, and splurge... :yes:

Yes .. we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is why we're here .. we're addicts!! Perfectly normal behaviour in other words and prob a sign that you're enjoying your reading more which is very woohoo and fabulous (time to get the cows out! ) :cows:

Hope you enjoy all the books and films my love .. keep you occupied and out of mischief for a while anyway xx <3 xx

Ooooh, the cows have finally come home! :D My reading is indeed at a good place at the moment, and for some reason I've just felt like I deserved a bit of book shopping this week :) I've been very good for so long, and it's not healthy to starve oneself! :blush::giggle2:

BTW, good to see you on the forum, poppyshake! It's been a while, and it feels like it's been ages!!!  :empathy:

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such odd weather, for the past few days, it's so humid! I've felt so drained. It's like there's electricity in the air... I feel like I can't think straight! 

Anyhow, yep, I went to the Red Cross charityshop. At first glance, I saw loads of bookshelves and was thrilled, and decided to first check the shelves that were on the wall, and then come back to the other ones. Should've checked the others first, as it turned out that all the non-fiction and comics and the miscellaneous stuff I'm not interested in was stacked on those bookcases... Anyhow, I was a bit disappointed by the (small) number of English titles, but hey, it meant I didn't have to spend as much money and bring as many books home :D I got a novel by Marie Desplechin, and it was titled Sans Moi (Without Me). I don't know if it's been translated into English. I liked the premise of the novel and I have a thing for modern French stuff, so I bought the book on a whim. 2€. Then I got a copy of the 1931-1934 diary by Anaïs Nin which was missing from my collection, yay! Also for 2€. 

They also had a 4 paperbacks for 1€ -deal, to celebrate the opening of the charityshop. I went over the paperbacks and first saw Timoleon Vieta Come Home by Dan Rhodes, which was a great find and which I took to mean I was meant to buy 4 paperbacks. Then I saw a Finnish copy of Running with Scissors, and I thought, if I don't find 3 other paperbacks that I'll want for myself, I'll get the RwS for my Boss, who now loves Augusten Burroughs. And then I saw a copy of The Collector by John Fowles, which I've been wanting to re-read for a while now! And then, for the fourth book, I got Charlotte Street by Juliette Mead. Sounded fun enough. 

6 books! 5€. Not bad! 

Edit: Acquired books 39. Read TBR books 4. Shite! 

Edited by frankie

Good to hear you liked The Lies We Told! :smile2: The book was likened to a Jodi Picoult novel, according to the cover. Would you agree?

I've heard that too (some of my books by Diane Chamberlain have that on the cover). I would agree their books are similar, though there are differences of course. The main difference is that Diane Chamberlain's books don't usually have a court case, whereas Jodi Picoult's books do. Both are slightly more focused on women than on men in general, though both authors also have important male characters in their story. But they more often than not write from a female POV (point of view). Both of them often use multiple perspectives. One thing I found interesting about The Lies We Told, if I'm not mistaken, is that the two POVs used in the story, one of them is written in 1rst person and the other in 3rd person. So you're never confused whose perspective you're reading. If I'm not mistaken (unless I got confused with another book). Diane Chamberlain often has a focus on family and secrets whereas Jodi Picoult's books focus more on an ethical dilemma, though Chamberlain's books can also be about dilemmas and Picoult's books about families and secrets. Hmm, I don't know if I'm making any sense. If I was going to compare any author to Chamberlain, I would pick Picoult, but of course I haven't read all the authors out there. Just that both of them are two of my favourite contemporary authors. 

6 books! 5€. Not bad! 

Edit: Acquired books 39. Read TBR books 4. Shite!

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)! Haha, whoops.

I've heard that too (some of my books by Diane Chamberlain have that on the cover). I would agree their books are similar, though there are differences of course. The main difference is that Diane Chamberlain's books don't usually have a court case, whereas Jodi Picoult's books do. Both are slightly more focused on women than on men in general, though both authors also have important male characters in their story. But they more often than not write from a female POV (point of view). Both of them often use multiple perspectives. One thing I found interesting about The Lies We Told, if I'm not mistaken, is that the two POVs used in the story, one of them is written in 1rst person and the other in 3rd person. So you're never confused whose perspective you're reading. If I'm not mistaken (unless I got confused with another book). Diane Chamberlain often has a focus on family and secrets whereas Jodi Picoult's books focus more on an ethical dilemma, though Chamberlain's books can also be about dilemmas and Picoult's books about families and secrets. Hmm, I don't know if I'm making any sense. If I was going to compare any author to Chamberlain, I would pick Picoult, but of course I haven't read all the authors out there. Just that both of them are two of my favourite contemporary authors. 

Thanks for the explanation, that really helps! I don't think I knew Picoult's books usually have a court case. Or maybe I did, but had forgotten. I don't mind court cases, but if she has them in each of her novels, it'll get repetitive for me :unsure: Good to know that I can avoid those if I opt for Chamberlain's books! :D I like families and family secrets very much, so if I like this book, I'm definitely going to look for more of Chamberlain's novels :)

Do you know, for some reason I thought Chamberlain's books are all about midwives and their troubles back in the day. :blush: So I've never gone for her books before. Not that I wouldn't mind reading a book or two about that subject matter, but not a whole bunch of them. I think maybe I'm confusing her with another author? Googling now... Jennifer Worth! Yes. Or maybe Chamberlain had one book about midwives and I then assumed that her books are like Worth's. :blush:

My biggest gripe with Chamberlain, however, is the fact that every time I see her name or write her name, I find it hard not to include an 'e' at the end of her name :blush::D To me, 'Chamberlain' looks unfinished, where as 'Chamberlaine' is the finished 'product' :D

Edit: Now googling to see if she's written any midwife novels... And I've just learned that she's American! I thought she was British, for some reason. 

Edit2: The more I think about it, yes, I think I knew Picoult usually does court cases, but I'd just forgotten about that detail. 

Edit3: Okay, she's written a book called The Midwife's Confession!! And that's probably why I thought all her books are about midwives :blush::D As I was confusing her with Jennifer Worth, as well... Problem solved! Thanks Athena, this was a very useful rap session  :D 

Edited by frankie

Diane Chamberlain has one book about a widwife: The Midwife's Confession :). But the rest of them, at least the ones I've read, are not about midwifes.

I think we posted at the same time, I just edited my post the third time to say I'd found The Midwife's Confession :lol:

Haha, I get wanting to write 'Chamberlaine' :D.

:lol: It's been driving me crazy! Maybe it won't bother me anymore, now that I got it off my chest :D

Edited by frankie

I think we posted at the same time, I just edited my post the third time to say I'd found The Midwife's Confession :lol:

Oh whoops, I think we did :lol:.

:lol: It's been driving me crazy! Maybe it won't bother me anymore, now that I got it off my chest :D

Haha :D.

I used to buy a lot more, but my TBR was getting out of control... I prefer having a number of TBR books which I think I can tackle before I die... :blush:

Rats, couldn`t reply last night cos my Kindle Fire doesn`t do cut-and -paste. Anyway !  

:giggle2: I`m planning to live to 160 - that way I can keep buying books and complete my TBR.  :giggle:

That depends... Do you mean a murder mystery or more of a general mystery?

Spare box for some reason ! 

:doh:

Yes, like a cosy murder mystery which has stuff about Finnish culture in it ?  :D

Though I just found your Finnish Culture thread last night... If you could throw in a country house mystery as well ?? ;)

Rats, couldn`t reply last night cos my Kindle Fire doesn`t do cut-and -paste. Anyway !  

:giggle2: I`m planning to live to 160 - that way I can keep buying books and complete my TBR.  :giggle:

That's a good plan, I hope it comes to fruition for you! :D I don't think I'll be as lucky... I'm one of those who'll die at 67, I think. If not sooner. Sigh! 

Yes, like a cosy murder mystery which has stuff about Finnish culture in it ?  :D

Though I just found your Finnish Culture thread last night... If you could throw in a country house mystery as well ?? ;)

To be quite honest, I don't think I've read a Finnish murder mystery that I'd recommend to any foreigner... Actually, I just thought of one, but it's not been translated into English. Not many of the Finnish mysteries are, unfortunately! The world seems to be more taken with the Scandinavian ones, leaving us poor Finns behind. There are a few series that have been translated into English, but I've not read those myself. They've not appealed to me for some reason. I guess I prefer Finnish female authors than male authors... At least when it comes to crime fiction. I didn't realize that until now :D Maybe I'm prejudiced... 

A country house mystery... As you see, I'm having major problems coming up with one murder mystery so I'm afraid your order is too long :D I'll keep my thinking hat on... 

That's a good plan, I hope it comes to fruition for you! :D I don't think I'll be as lucky... I'm one of those who'll die at 67, I think. If not sooner. Sigh! 

To be quite honest, I don't think I've read a Finnish murder mystery that I'd recommend to any foreigner... Actually, I just thought of one, but it's not been translated into English. Not many of the Finnish mysteries are, unfortunately! The world seems to be more taken with the Scandinavian ones, leaving us poor Finns behind. There are a few series that have been translated into English, but I've not read those myself. They've not appealed to me for some reason. I guess I prefer Finnish female authors than male authors... At least when it comes to crime fiction. I didn't realize that until now :D Maybe I'm prejudiced... 

A country house mystery... As you see, I'm having major problems coming up with one murder mystery so I'm afraid your order is too long :D I'll keep my thinking hat on... 

Thanks ! :)  

I read mostly female authors for mysteries, too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I read mostly female authors for mysteries, too. :)

Oddly enough, I will read murder mysteries / thrillers by men in English, but for some odd reason I'm not interested in Finnish male crime / thriller authors. I fear their characters will be too masculine and one-worded and basically, brutes :D I know I'm being silly, but I'm prejudiced for some reason :blush: With foreign crime fiction, I'm more liberal :D

Onto other business: I've had a few busy and tiring weeks behind me. Boss's apartment went under construction, so to speak, and last week we did a lot of packing up and moving of furniture. I was also called in last Sunday to work for 5 hours... It was a very short weekend, and it was really tiring. Also, last week my 30 hours per week went up to 35 hours per week (bigger salary, wohoo!), and so I've been working longer hours and as it's all new to me and there was the packing up and the move to a temporary apartment, it's taken a toll. This week we've spent at the new apartment, where we will be staying for 6 weeks. I like the place, it's clean and practical and there's less room for me to have to clean :D It's going to be vacation-like... Boss will also be trying to cut down on her work load and have a bit of a holiday, as much as she can, being an entrepreneur and running a business. The whole thing's been tiring but now the most difficult part is behind us and now it's good times ahead. We live in this cottage next to the sea.... It's lovely!! :smile2: We did a BBQ yesterday... :D The weather's not been too nice, it's getting colder and the sun isn't shining, but it's okay. 

I think my last read being terrible, and the work being erratic and more demanding in the past 2 weeks or so, my mojo's gone awol... I've picked up maybe 10 books to read, but none have stuck. It's getting really annoying. 

Today, however, I have the day off and my parents are visiting, too, and so we'll go shopping. I hope to find a new purse, shoes, and some clothes. I also want to buy an ink cartridge for the printer I got from a friend. She's boss's neighbor and she's also having to pack up her stuff, and so she wanted to get rid of some things that were taking up space and which she didn't need anymore... She told me she uses the printer so rarely the ink always dries up! I've wanted a printer for a long time now, so I'm really jazzed! :exc: The thing is also a copy machine and a scanner, all in one, so it's bloody brilliant. I'll be scanning all of my old childhood pictures soon! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Totally nice and awesome! And of course, if she ever wants it back, I'll give it back to her, no sweat :) I just bought ink for it. Went shopping with my parents... I got 3 of the 4 things I wanted and needed: ink, a new practical purse/handbag for work and for leisure, and undies. (I now only need new shoes. I hate shoe shopping.) I also got a book at a flea market :giggle2:Chocolat by Joanne Harris. I've seen the movie many times and almost read the book once. (Meaning, I think I read most of it but never finished.) I've been wanting to read it now for a while. Such a funny thing I should find a copy when I was thinking about it just last week. 

Oh, and this is totally un-book-related, but I have to tell you that as there's an 'extra' wheelchair at Boss's temp apartment (it's one that you can go take a shower in. For the tenants to use.), I asked if Boss was okay with me test-driving it for a while, for fun. She didn't mind at all. She then said I should try and do my day's work, sitting in the chair, not getting up at all, for anything. And so I did. Oh boy, things get really complicated! I had to pre-think my next move to save the hassle of going back and forth... Going to the terrace with a mug of coffee was tricky, especially when the threshold was a pain in the ass... But it was so much fun! Boss was laughing her ass off. She said I looked really stupid :D Anyhow, I was in that chair for 5,5 hours. I did the dishes and made us sandwiches. There wasn't much else to do, so I was able to do it all in good time. But if I dropped something on the floor, I couldn't lift it. I had to wait till my shift was over. 

Wow, you've had a lot going on! Great you'll be getting more salary! Sorry to hear about the mojo :(. Yay for the free printer :). I'm glad you had fun shopping with your parents. I own Chocolat by I haven't read it yet. I hope you enjoy it :). Well done on trying out the wheelchair, glad you could make your boss laugh. I think wheelchairs require more skill than we often think.

Yep, more pay equals more fun :D It still won't be a big check as such, but it's big for me, as I'm used to very little. Maybe I'll be able to start saving. 

The free printer is still making me giddy :D I have a project it'll be perfect for. And I can have some fun with it, too :D 

Mojo might be coming back... I started reading Swimming to Elba last night and even though I only read like 6 pages, I liked what I read and can't wait to see where it'll lead. I think it might be good! :smile2: It's by an Italian author I've never heard of before, so that's interesting, too. I don't know if I've ever read anything by an Italian... Maybe I have, but just don't remember. 

Have you seen the movie Chocolat, Athena? I'd heartily recommend it. But it'll make you want to eat chocolate :D At least that's how I felt! 

I'm way behind on my reviews, I think I'll try and catch up. 'Reviews', that is. 

#31. Far from True by Linwood Barclay

Amazon: (heavily edited by me:) After the screen of a run-down drive-in movie theater collapses [...], the daughter of one of the victims asks private investigator Cal Weaver to look into [...]. Cal discovers [stuff]. But his investigation soon becomes more complicated when he realizes [something]....

Meanwhile, Detective Barry Duckworth is still trying to solve
[something]

As the lies begin to unravel, Cal is headed straight into the heart of a dark secret as his search uncovers more startling truths about Promise Falls. And when yet another murder happens, Cal and Barry are both driven to pursue their investigations, no matter where they lead. Evil deeds long thought buried are about to haunt the residents of this town—as the sins of the past and present collide with terrifying results.

Thoughts: This is the second novel in the Promise Falls -trilogy. I really enjoyed the first novel, Broken Promise (thoughts here), and I was looking forward to reading this one, and I have to say Barclay delivered once again. It's been a while since I read the book, but I still remember quite a lot about it which is pretty good for me, taking into consideration how my brain seems to be complete mush these days and I forget about book plots as soon as I've finished reading them. There's one particular aspect in a particular character in the novel that's stayed in my mind, and I thought the little detail was so perfectly planned out and delivered... It was incredible! At least in my opinion... 

Totally loved reading the book and couldn't find out what went on with different things. I'm so glad to have found this thriller author, and it's all thanks to the forum, as some of you read some of his books years and years ago and recommended them. Seems like most of you haven't kept on reading his other novels, as far as I know, though, and I think it's a bit of a shame ... :unsure: Am I the only one who's still enjoying Barclay? 

5/5

32. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

Amazon: He didn't mind how he looked to other people, because the nursery magic had made him Real, and when you are Real shabbiness doesn't matter.

In the nursery, only the toys that are old and wise truly understand what it means to be Real. The Velveteen Rabbit, a newcomer to the nursery, asks one of the most knowledgeable toys, the Skin Horse, what being Real means. And so begins the Velveteen Rabbit’s journey towards becoming real – through the love of a child . . .

Thoughts: I've wanted to read this for years, and that's because it was the book that Joey's and then Chandler's girlfriend, Kathy, loved, and then Chandler got her a first edition copy of the book for her Birthday. I've now fulfilled the dream of reading the book :D

It was a darling little book, there's no denying. However, I didn't personally find it all that special :unsure: I think if I had read the book as a child, or if my parents had read the book to me, it would have that magical nostalgia and I would love and cherish the book forever and forever, but alas, it wasn't meant to be for me. I'm a Nordic kid and this never made its way to my childhood's bookshelves. I can, however, appreciate why it's a favorite of so many people. 

3/5

#33. Upstairs Downstairs by John Hawkesworth

GoodreadsA formal introduction to the Bellamys of 165 Eaton Place explores the private lives of the beautiful Lady Marjorie, her politician husband Richard, and their devoted staff of servants during the Edwardian era.

AmazonUpstairs Downstairs is the novelisation of the iconic LWT series from the 1970s; this is the first book in the set and focuses on series 1, which seems to cover the period 1901-07/08.

Thoughts: I know there's the TV series and I know it's been shown here on TV, but I've not watched it nor did I know anything else about the book beforehand, other than that it's about a well-to-do family and their household staff. Class differences and all that jazz. I found the book at the free book exchange corner at the library and snatched it happily. And I'm glad I did! I'm not quite sure what I expected, but I know I didn't expect there to be that much drama, and I certainly didn't expect to have all these different things to happen that aren't usually covered in works from this particular era

(homosexuality, suicide, for instance)

. It felt like a novelization, very much, in that things happened quickly in different chapters, and people came and went, and the regulars that stayed just moved on with life, as best as they could. However, it didn't bother me too much. Sure, I missed some of the characters that made an early exit in the novel, but soon enough new people arrived at the scene and I was looking forward to reading what their story was. 

I'm not sure if the fans of the TV series would like this book and the rest of the series, but I personally liked the book :) So much so that I checked if the library has copies of the subsequent books. They don't :( But that doesn't bother me too much, either. Good entertainment, all in all!

4/5

#39. The Blackbird Sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson

GoodreadsA compelling novel about friendship, identity and love.

One winter evening, Elias, a young artist, watches a woman move into his apartment building. After closing her door, however, she is not seen again. A misdirected letter finally gives Elias the opportunity to make contact. But inside her dark apartment, Elisabeth refuses to respond to his knock. Her only company is the Woman in Green, an unbidden vision from her childhood dreams.

Elias, meanwhile, is not to be deterred and draws his friend Otto, an elderly widower, into his attempts to entice Elisabeth into the world. When an accident finally opens her door, a shared love of books sparks a friendship between the three lonely neighbours.

As spring segues into summer, their lives become intertwined and their past stories are revealed.

Thoughts: I kept hearing about Linda Olsson's books back in 2012 when I was working at the library. I didn't find them very appealing at the time. This summer, however, I got to the point with my mojo that I was only able to read chick-lit. (Not criticizing chick-lit in any way: I do read my fair share of it, only I like to read other genres, too, and not just stick to chick-lit.) When I was picking up a few reserved books, I was looking for other similar books on the shelves and came across this particular title. Seemed like the sort of thing that I might really like... Hermits and books? Yes please! :D 

It started out fine and I was eager to see what would happen next. At some point I got bored, though. And I started to get really annoyed by the characters and the plotline. It got predictable at some point and I thought to myself, 'this would never happen...' :rolleyes: And while I don't mind unrealistic things happening in books on occasion, with this novel it bugged me to no end. And the dialogue started to get to me. At the end, I was reading the book rather mechanically and just wishing to finish it. One of the worst ones this year! I won't be reading other books by this author... 

1/5 

#40. The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell 

AmazonAbi's barely left her bed since Joseph, the love of her life, dumped her, saying they were incompatible. 

When Joseph leaves a box of her possessions on her doorstep, she finds a bucket list of ten things she never knew he wanted to do. What better way to win him back than by completing the list, and proving they're a perfect match?

But there's just one problem - or rather, ten. Abi's not exactly the outdoorsy type, and she's absolutely terrified of heights - not ideal for a list that includes climbing a mountain, cycling around the Isle of Wight and, last but not least, abseiling down the tallest building in town . . . 

Completing the list is going to need all Abi's courage - and a lot of help from her friends. But as she heals her broken heart one task at a time, the newly confident Abi might just have a surprise in store . . 

Thoughts: The premise of the story sounds kind of stupid, in my opinion. But I thought the execution would make up for it. And I was still in the middle of my chick-lit phase and thought this would be perfect for me... 

Overall, what a drag. Abi's 'journey' through the tasks was not interesting at all, and I didn't much like any of the characters. Also... When I was reading the book, I thought Abi was maybe 23 years old. Towards the end I was reminded that she's in her 30's. And I thought, no way... A woman in her thirties wouldn't be so juvenile. There's just no way. 

Regret spending all that time reading the book, but somehow it was still a tiny bit better than the 1/5 reads I've had this year. 

2/5

#41. Charlotte Street by Juliette Mead

AmazonConnie and Julian are wealthy, groomed and in control. Lucy and Mark are financially unstable and chaotic. Friends for years the two couples impulse buy a London flat together as a bolt hole from domesticity. They never imagined how conveniently it would lend itself to extra-marital infidelities.

Thoughts: I think this books is partly to blame for my runaway mojo... I thought this would be a great book, chick-littish modern stuff to read in 48 hours. Never mind if it might be forgettable... 

It was just utter crap. Annoying characters, boring storyline. No redeeming qualities. Complete waste of my time. Not recommended. 

1/5

Great reviews! Shame you read a couple of not-very-enjoyable books :(.

Have you seen the movie Chocolat, Athena? I'd heartily recommend it. But it'll make you want to eat chocolate :D At least that's how I felt!

I haven't seen it yet, but I do plan to do so some time :). Haha, I can imagine it will make me feel like that too :D.

Great reviews! Shame you read a couple of not-very-enjoyable books :(.

Yep, it's been a massive mojo killer :(

I haven't seen it yet, but I do plan to do so some time :). Haha, I can imagine it will make me feel like that too :D.

:D Better go chocolate shopping beforehand!

Oh no, you've read a few rubbish books lately. :empathy: Hope your next reads are better!

I really hope so, too, otherwise... I will keep on reading bad books :D