Frankie reads 2016

frankie

I'm loving John Elder Robison's book!

I'm up to chapter 13 (p. 125). My favourite parts so far:

Chapter 10:

The story he told at his parents' friends' party about being a Sanitary Engineer (especially the dead babies joke).  :rolol: 

Chapter 11:

The flaming washtub, which was made worse by the fire department. :o

Chapter 12:

The Morris Moke in the ocean.  :haha:

I've really enjoyed everything up to chapter 10 too, of course. The above stories just struck me as particularly funny. I also really like the parts about his relationship with Augusten when Augusten was very small....the hijinks they got up to! Poor little Augusten just went along with his big brother. :D

It's also interesting to read about Dr Finch and John's parents from his perspective. Those poor kids had a rough childhood. :(

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello my dear! Sorry I've been neglecting you lately. I've just had a lot on.   I hope you're enjoying your summer holiday.

Your comment about the JT Leroy book intrigued me so I went and looked it up. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. Did you know about the scandal involving the author?

Hello darling!  :flowers2:   I enjoyed my summer holiday to the max! I didn't expect to, because I was stressing about all the relatives and stuff, but once I got there, everyone behaved and I was able to relax! I did many things I haven't done in years, even decades... I voluntarily, eagerly, went to the lake on a boat!! I've always been more or less scared of being in a small boat, because I can't swim very well and deep waters freak me out. I've been on boats when I was a kid as we used to go to a relative's summer cottage that was on a small island and stuff. I've gone on boats because I've had to. But this time I wanted to, to see if it was still scary. It wasn't! I loved every second of it :smile2: It was so therapeutic... Dad got a new motor for his boat and so we were testing it, and the men also wanted to do a little fishing. Too bad the weather was bad (pretty much throughout the week) and we only managed 8 minutes before we had to head back. It was so much fun, though!

I also went to pick blueberries! Out of my own accord. I haven't done that in years. Okay, I only picked a mugful of them, but even so. 

Last but not least... I went to sauna for the first time in six months and it was great, and while I was there, I decided that it was about time to go and dip in the lake and throw (away) my winter fur, as we Finns would say. That is, to go and dip in the lake and/or go swimming for the first time this year. I hadn't packed a bathing suit because I hadn't expected to go in the lake, so I went all in :D I haven't gone in the lake in I don't know how many years. It was great! (And because I did it, Dad thought he had to do it, too, and then my uncle also decided to do it, and then Mom did it, too, on another day. I had no idea I was the first of the family this year :D )

The JT Leroy book... I only found out about the book through Anna Begins, who recommended it to me not a month ago? I didn't know about the author before that. I probably googled the whole thing, or maybe Anna told me about the scandal, but I'd forgotten about it ever since then :blush:

I'm loving John Elder Robison's book!

I'm up to chapter 13 (p. 125). My favourite parts so far:

Chapter 10:

The story he told at his parents' friends' party about being a Sanitary Engineer (especially the dead babies joke).   

I've really enjoyed everything up to chapter 10 too, of course. The above stories just struck me as particularly funny. I also really like the parts about his relationship with Augusten when Augusten was very small....the hijinks they got up to! Poor little Augusten just went along with his big brother. 

It's also interesting to read about Dr Finch and John's parents from his perspective. Those poor kids had a rough childhood. 

I'm so happy you're liking the book!!! :D I'm far behind you now, though :D I've reached chapter 10, though. I loved how he conducted himself at the party :D Bowling pins and ... things and trucks :D :D :D Maybe we could learn a few things from him, if we're not enjoying a party... :giggle2:

I also love how he talks about Augusten and their interaction. It's so interesting, let alone unusual, to be able to read about it from someone else's point-of-view! Precious!!

Remember the youtube clip where Augusten introduced his brother and his book to the viewers, and John Elder said 'Woof.' Well, I don't remember what page it was on, but he was psyched about something and wrote 'Woof.' :lol: I thought it was hilarious, I totally cracked up :D

(I didn't read the other spoilers and so I won't comment on those yet. Because naturally I want to read the chapters in question first.)

Edit: okay, I have the woof quote. Page 72: "I wiggled my ears. All these thousands of cars around me, and my great-great-grandfather had the first one in town. Of course, Chickamauga was a smaller town than Lawrenceville, but even so . . . Woof. I was impressed. I had a real motorcar pedigree."

Woof :D 

Oh and I also loved how, as a Sanitary Engineer, he told the people

that they get tips and that if you don't want your trash possibly tipped over on your lawn, by accident, you must tip your Sanitary Engineer. :D

Priceless!!! 

Edited by frankie

On our way to my hometown and back, we stopped at a number of different sort of gas stations with shops and stuff. Now that I have a job, I felt like I could buy something nice if I found something to suit my tastes... I didn't splurge, my purchases were very small and humble, but I liked what I got. I wanna show pictures :smile2:

First I got a tiny purse for money. If you know me, you know why I had to get it :wub:

post-4458-0-93598800-1468175701_thumb.jpg

And then I saw these adorable owl rings and I couldn't pass the opportunity by. And it was only 1€. 

post-4458-0-91001000-1468175781_thumb.jpg

I was admiring this necklace and I was about to get it for myself, but then my godmother jumped at the chance of being able to get me something for a change (we haven't seen each other very often in the past years). It's made of wood, and I love it :o My colors, too :smile2:

post-4458-0-98246300-1468175900_thumb.jpg

My parents got me two footstools the last time they were in Helsinki but they forgot to give them to me, and so now that I had a lift home to Helsinki, I finally got to take them with me. I hadn't seen them before and had no idea what they would be like, even though my parents tried to explain to me how they worked... They were in a flat package and one had to stretch them out, so to speak :D You see, you can store stuff in them. (I also tried to sit on one, and it didn't break! Wohoo :D )  I think they're gorgeous :o :o

post-4458-0-03464800-1468176039_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-77128900-1468176058_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankie

Maybe we could learn a few things from him, if we're not enjoying a party... :giggle2:

I'm quite jealous of his ability to think so quickly on his feet and just make stuff up as he goes along. :D

I also love how he talks about Augusten and their interaction. It's so interesting, let alone unusual, to be able to read about it from someone else's point-of-view! Precious!!

I know, right?! There's another part related to this that I'll point out when you've finished.

Remember the youtube clip where Augusten introduced his brother and his book to the viewers, and John Elder said 'Woof.' Well, I don't remember what page it was on, but he was psyched about something and wrote 'Woof.' :lol: I thought it was hilarious, I totally cracked up :D

Yes, I remember! I went back and watched it again while reading the book to remind myself about it. :)

Edit: okay, I have the woof quote. Page 72: "I wiggled my ears. All these thousands of cars around me, and my great-great-grandfather had the first one in town. Of course, Chickamauga was a smaller town than Lawrenceville, but even so . . . Woof. I was impressed. I had a real motorcar pedigree."

Woof :D

I love the woof quotes too! He explains a bit more about it later on. It's so cute when he says/writes it.  :wub:  I checked out his blog yesterday and he even signed off one of his blog posts (see link below) with 'woof'. :D

Speaking of his blog, I was looking up information about his guitar work with KISS, and I found this great blog entry that shows photos taken around the time that he was writing about.

Oh and I also loved how, as a Sanitary Engineer, he told the people

that they get tips and that if you don't want your trash possibly tipped over on your lawn, by accident, you must tip your Sanitary Engineer. :D

Priceless!!!

Haha, yes! I wonder if any of them started doing what he suggested. :)

Yay, I've had visitors!  :e010:   I'll come back to your posts later, right now I have to go and prep food for this week. I'll have to tell you about today, though, before I forget!

I was at work, doing something, and chatting with Boss at the same time. She asked me what I was reading, and then she told me she'd seen an interview of this Finnish politician who just turned 70 (Erkki Tuomioja, if anyone's interested). We both really like this politician as we agree with his political views and he's a bit of a hippy, and seems like a really decent fellow. Anyhow, Tuomioja is a big reader and he usually reads serious non-fiction. However, he told the interviewer about a book he'd read that had moved him to tears. Boss said that she wanted to read the book, but didn't remember what it was called. She then told me that it was about a junkie and a cat. Well, you can imagine my literary bells going off :lol: I asked, 'Is the cat named Bob?' and Boss was flabbergasted and she asked me how on earth I'd known :lol: She couldn't believe it :D It was so funny. I ordered her a copy and as there are quite a few available, she should be able to get it soon enough :smile2: 

Have had a stomach bug and have then stressed about my apartment so haven't been much on here, nor have I been reading all that much.

Am now 100% recovered, and also heard yesterday that landlord will continue his stay in Sweden and thus my lease will be continued till May 2017 or so. This is such a relief because I would've hated to start apartment-hunting and I would've had 1,5 weeks to find a new place. My current location is also extremely practical and I would've hates to move anywhere else.

In addition... I don't have to start culling my books... :lol: Phew!!!

Edited by frankie

Have had a stomach bug and have then stressed about my apartment so haven't been much on here, nor have I been reading all that much.

Am now 100% recovered, and also heard yesterday that landlord will continue his stay in Sweden and thus my lease will be continued till May 2017 or so. This is such a relief because I would've hated to start apartment-hunting and I would've had 1,5 weeks to find a new place. My current location is also extremely practical and I would've hates to move anywhere else.

In addition... I don't have to start culling my books... :lol: Phew!!!

Relief ! :D

Emoticons have been culled...

I really like that tiny purse! I hope you enjoy all of your new things.

I'm completely in love with the purse :wub: And I'm already using it. :cool:

Those footstools look great !

Your Summer holiday sounded lovely. 

I'm still quite astounded by the footstools. I don't trust my parents to get me any furniture-like stuff that I would personally like, but they really succeeded with these ones! I'm totally loving them. And they are great hidey holes :D

I had a fabulous summer holiday. I'm sorry it's gone by now, but nothing can last forever :)

I'm quite jealous of his ability to think so quickly on his feet and just make stuff up as he goes along. 

Me, too! And his complete lack of interest in whether they will believe him or not and if they suss him out, whether they will hate him or think he's crazy :D He's got some balls! I wish I was as clever :)

I know, right?! There's another part related to this that I'll point out when you've finished.

I've not been reading the book in quite a while now. It was getting too technological and I was stressing about my apartment and I needed to read something fictional and very fluffy and so I went for chick-lit. I expect it'll be easy to get back into the book, though, as the chapters are complete entities on their own. I hope you don't forget what you wanted to say by the time I've finished!

Yes, I remember! I went back and watched it again while reading the book to remind myself about it. 

Me too :D Woof!

I love the woof quotes too! He explains a bit more about it later on. It's so cute when he says/writes it.   I checked out his blog yesterday and he even signed off one of his blog posts (see link below) with 'woof'. 

I've now read about it, and it makes sense :yes: I started to want to sign everything off by saying 'Woof.' but that would've been silly. :blush::D

Speaking of his blog, I was looking up information about his guitar work with KISS, and I found this great blog entry that shows photos taken around the time that he was writing about.

That is so cool :o :o I'll have to investigate! 

Haha, yes! I wonder if any of them started doing what he suggested. 

I really hope so :D

I'm glad you get to stay in your apartment and that you feel better :)!

Relief ! :D

Phew, that's good news. :hug:

Thanks ladies!  :flowers2:   I'm very relieved and chuffed! Although I don't think it's fully sunk in yet. Well, I have time for it to sink in as I'm not moving anywhere :D 

This reminds me... My most important aim for this reading year was to read more books off my TBR list than I acquire. I've now read 4 books off the TBR list, and acquired 28 books... :( So it's not going very well, is it! Not even when quite a few of the books I've acquired are books that I've already read and want to own so I could re-read them at some point. They are still new books acquired and thus, I need to start reading more off the good old TBR pile. 

This reminds me... My most important aim for this reading year was to read more books off my TBR list than I acquire. I've now read 4 books off the TBR list, and acquired 28 books... :( So it's not going very well, is it! Not even when quite a few of the books I've acquired are books that I've already read and want to own so I could re-read them at some point. They are still new books acquired and thus, I need to start reading more off the good old TBR pile.

Awww :(. The library can be very tempting. I've also bought more books than I've read off my own pile. I have read quite a few books, but quite a few of them have been library loans. Good luck with your goal! I hope it rights itself before the end of the year :).

Awww :(. The library can be very tempting. I've also bought more books than I've read off my own pile. I have read quite a few books, but quite a few of them have been library loans. Good luck with your goal! I hope it rights itself before the end of the year :).

The library is totally a beast! :blush: I go look at their new acquired books list online every week and make too many reservations. I always borrow more than I can read :blush: But hey, at least we are supporting the libraries! :cool: 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's bought more books than they've read off their TBR pile :blush::giggle2: I'm in good company!

Another worrying thing I just realized: I still have the 30€ gift card for the big bookstore downtown. I've been there a few times but they've been under construction/renovation and so my visits have been short, and another time they had a sale but had more books in Swedish than in English :rolleyes: I wish I was only tempted by Finnish and Swedish literature, it would be so much easier for me :D Anyhow... I have less than 4 months to spend that money. I was kind of tempted to buy a copy of The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows, but the quality of the paper on the paperback was rather poor, as the lines were visible on the next page and stuff. But I would've preferred that copy to the huge, big ass hardback I have borrowed from the library... :thud: 

Another worrying thing I just realized: I still have the 30€ gift card for the big bookstore downtown. I've been there a few times but they've been under construction/renovation and so my visits have been short, and another time they had a sale but had more books in Swedish than in English :rolleyes: I wish I was only tempted by Finnish and Swedish literature, it would be so much easier for me :D Anyhow... I have less than 4 months to spend that money. I was kind of tempted to buy a copy of The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows, but the quality of the paper on the paperback was rather poor, as the lines were visible on the next page and stuff. But I would've preferred that copy to the huge, big ass hardback I have borrowed from the library... :thud:

I hope you manage to spend the gift card in time (wouldn't want it to go to waste). Shame about the paperback's paper, that's not nice. But I can see it would definitely be more comfortable than a massive hardback. I hope you enjoy the book :).

I hope you manage to spend the gift card in time (wouldn't want it to go to waste). Shame about the paperback's paper, that's not nice. But I can see it would definitely be more comfortable than a massive hardback. I hope you enjoy the book :).

Oh I'm sure I will be able to spend it alright :yes: I just want to buy something I really, really want! :smile2: I don't want to get just 'any old thing'. I want it to be a good book(s) that I'll treasure the rest of my life. Which is a difficult task if I buy books that I haven't yet read :D 

Oh I'm sure I will be able to spend it alright :yes: I just want to buy something I really, really want! :smile2: I don't want to get just 'any old thing'. I want it to be a good book(s) that I'll treasure the rest of my life. Which is a difficult task if I buy books that I haven't yet read :D

That makes a lot of sense :). I hope you find an awesome book there some time.

July - summary

32 - The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams - library loan 3/5

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller - library loan - had to take back to the library before I was able to read it, as someone had reserved the copy 

Beside Myself by Ann Morgan - library loan - abandoned - couldn't get into it. Will give it another go at some other point. 

33 - Upstairs Downstairs by John Hawkesworth - TBR book 4/5

34 - Kevyesti kipsissä by Veera Vaahtera - library loan 4/5

The Butcher's Hook by Janet Ellis - library loan - abandoned - couldn't get into it. Will give it another go at some other point. 

35 - Onnellisesti eksyksissä by Veera Vaahtera  - library loan 4/5

36 - Sattumalta sinun by Veera Vaahtera - library loan 4/5

37 - Rakkautta, vahingossa by Veera Vaahtera - library loan 4/5

Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery - library loan - abandoned - liked it while I was reading it, but lost the plot when I opted for something more chick litty 

A very good month ratings-wise! I'm also happy that I read so many books, having had worse months recently. I read a lot of books in Finnish, by a Finnish author, and that was really refreshing :smile2: 

I went to a charityshop yesterday, and a flea market today, and came home with the following: 

Books:

- The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain

- The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams (added this on my wishlist after reading Timstar's review)

- Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey 

- Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey

- Nenäpäivä by Mikko Rimminen (a Finnish award-winning novel that I've read before and really liked)

Movies: 

- Stranger Than Fiction

- Rööperi (a Finnish movie which I've seen and loved)

I've now acquired 34 books, which is only three short of 37, which is my last year's total for acquired books...  :hide:

Edited by frankie

I hope you enjoy all of your newly acquired books :)! I quite liked The Lies We Told. I have The Dirty Streets Of Heaven on my TBR. I completely forgot Tim did a review on it. I bought it because I love the author's Otherland series. Good to know Tim liked the book.

I looked, and saw you have read 38 books so far this year? So you've bought almost as much as that, I guess though since you also read library books, that your TBR didn't go down (like it says in your sig, 4 read books). Sorry to hear that. Book buying is so much fun, isn't it. My TBR hasn't gone down either this year (so far). I love buying books :blush2:.

I went to a charityshop yesterday, and a flea market today, and came home with the following: 

Books:

- The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain

- The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams (added this on my wishlist after reading Timstar's review)

- Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey 

- Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey

- Nenäpäivä by Mikko Rimminen (a Finnish award-winning novel that I've read before and really liked)

Movies: 

- Stranger Than Fiction

- Rööperi (a Finnish movie which I've seen and loved)

I've now acquired 34 books, which is only three short of 37, which is my last year's total for acquired books...  :hide:

Yes .. we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is why we're here .. we're addicts!! :D Perfectly normal behaviour in other words and prob a sign that you're enjoying your reading more which is very woohoo and fabulous (time to get the cows out! :lol:) :cows: :cows: :cows:

Hope you enjoy all the books and films my love .. keep you occupied and out of mischief for a while anyway  :D  :hug: xx <3 xx

Am at work, quick post: new Red Cross charityshop opened at Itis, saw it when shopping for boos. Many books! Must visit after work :unsure::lol:

Edit: obviously not shopping for boos, nor booze. Boss :lol:

Edited by frankie