Frankie reads 2016

frankie

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The books were calling out to you, Frankie! 

I prefer to wait for the right size as well. Last year, I didn't wait for the right size because I wanted to read it so badly and then this year I saw the right size and bought it a second time, just to have the right size!

Happy belated birthday! Any reading plans for the rest of the year?

I hope you enjoy your new books, even if you can't find any reviews of them on the forum :).

Well done on waiting for the right edition, I hope you'll find it soon. I prefer the smaller paperback too.

Yes, I hope, too, that the books are enjoyable in any case! :smile2: I also like their covers :) 

I much prefer smaller paperbacks in general... Although I do quite like bigger paper backs... They seem more elegant... But they take up more space :blush: 

The books were calling out to you, Frankie!

Yes, maybe they were! :D I went to another bookstore today, to check out their book sale :blush: I was visiting the mall in order to get new pictures for my passport application and when that was over, I thought I needed some retail therapy (I hate getting my picture taken) :blush::giggle2:  Luckily they didn't have any English titles to offer, and I managed to get out without buying anything! 

I prefer to wait for the right size as well. Last year, I didn't wait for the right size because I wanted to read it so badly and then this year I saw the right size and bought it a second time, just to have the right size!

That's what it boils down to, doesn't it? :blush: Yesterday I told myself, 'there's no use in buying this copy now on sale, because soon enough you'll hate it that it's a bigger edition than the other books in the series and you'll start looking for the right edition, and then you'll spend the money all over again to buy a new copy'. :rolleyes::D 

Happy belated birthday! Any reading plans for the rest of the year?

Thanks! :)  My reading plans include a wish to finish my current read, the fourth Bridget Jones novel by the end of the year. That I ought to manage... :D I don't have any other plans because my mojo seems to be holding me in suspense, once again. Oh but it would be wonderful to be able to get stuck in some wonderful novel ... and to start next year in the middle of something great :smile2: 

^  The price is of course another issue! :yes: I'm glad that by pure luck, I like the cheaper ones better as they are smaller :D 

This was the last day for me at work this year! :smile2: On a whim, I went to a Salvation Army charityshop as it's there, on my way home. I didn't expect to find anything, but I did! I found a Finnish copy of Wild by Cheryl Strayed, and you who've watched the new season of GG know that this is a classic :lol: There was no price tag on the book, but as there was a sign that said 'Everything 50% off today only!' I went for the book. I also found a copy of this Finnish novel in a long, long Finnish book series by Dad's favorite author. I've promised him I would read this particular book sometime in 2017, before Christmas. As there will be a quiz on the book when I go home for Christmas :rolleyes::lol: :lol: The book is maybe 600 pages long, and there's probably at least 20 books in the series... Sigh!!! :D I can't believe Dad has read all of the books. Anyway, the book was 5€, but I got it half price :cool: 

I had to visit the library as I had some books there for me, and I checked the free book swap shelf there, and found a copy of The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow! I know it's on one of my reading challenges list, and I think someone on here reviewed the book some years ago and because of the great review the book made its way to my wishlist. I'm so happy to have found a copy! :smile2: 

But these books were for sure the last ones for me to acquire this year!! :D I've been so bad this year! 

52. Bridget Jones's Baby by Helen Fielding

Amazon8:45 P.M. Realize there have been so many times in my life when have fantasized about going to a scan with Mark or Daniel: just not both at the same time.

Before motherhood, before marriage, Bridget with biological clock ticking very, very loudly, finds herself unexpectedly pregnant at the eleventh hour: a joyful pregnancy which is dominated, however, by a crucial but terribly awkward question – who is the father? Mark Darcy: honourable, decent, notable human rights lawyer? Or Daniel Cleaver: charming, witty, notable fudgewit?

9:45 PM It’s like they’re two halves of the perfect man, who’ll spend the rest of their lives each wanting to outdo the other one. And now it’s all enacting itself in my stomach.

In this gloriously funny, touching story of baby-deadline panic, maternal bliss, and social, professional, technological, culinary and childbirth chaos, Bridget Jones – global phenomenon and the world’s favorite Singleton – is back with a bump.

Thoughts: I wanted to love this as much as the three previous Bridget Jones novels, and I was looking forward to enjoying the read. However, in all honesty, I was somewhat bored by the book. For the first time, I'd seen the movie before the book, and while that may have played some very small part in me not liking the book as much, it is however the book I blame: it just wasn't up to par with the previous novels :no: It wasn't that funny, there was no depth to the story, and it was just plain boring at times. I was so awfully disappointed!! :(  

I enjoyed the movie so much in itself, and so, so much more in comparison! I won't be buying my own copy of this Jones book :( 

2/5

P.S. I can't wait to hear other people's thoughts on the book. I want to know if it's just me, or if it's Helen Fielding. 

December - reading summary

The Real Liddy James by Anne-Marie Casey - library loan - abandoned: the books seems really great, but I was just in no reading mood! I will most definitely give this one another go, at a better time! 

52 - Bridget Jones's Baby by Helen Fielding - library loan  - 2/5

What an awful reading month :( Only one read book, and that one was a huge disappointment! 

I tried reading The Real Liddy James for three (!) weeks, but I wasn't able to do it. It's honestly not the books fault: I really truly enjoyed it, but my mojo was AWOL and I couldn't concentrate and what else. I'm going to give the book another, well deserved go next year, and hope to finish it and love it :yes:

This was a very sad end to a very sad reading year. I'm already posting this month's stats today as I know there's no way I'm going to be able to start and finish something tomorrow. 

Oh well! Better and happier reads in 2017! :smile2: 

(I'm still going to go over some statistics and stuff, before I'll say goodbye to this thread.)

I found a Finnish copy of Wild by Cheryl Strayed, and you who've watched the new season of GG know that this is a classic :lol:

I'm not up to that part of Gilmore Girls yet, but I loved Wild when I read it last year (or was it this year??). I love going out on long walks but I could never do what she did, all on her own. :thud: The movie is good too. :D

I'm not up to that part of Gilmore Girls yet, but I loved Wild when I read it last year (or was it this year??). I love going out on long walks but I could never do what she did, all on her own. :thud: The movie is good too. :D

Wild is actually referred to in the new season of GG, of this year, so you have a long ways to go till then! :D But wow, you've already read a Rory Gilmore challenge book and you've only just started watching the show!! :D :D I'm so glad to hear you liked the book :smile2: Did the book inspire you or have you been to long walks even before? I was reading my book log from the start, earlier this week, because of nostalgia, and I asked you about your visits to library and you told me how you'd gotten a pedometer and going to the library was one way of getting those steps every Saturday :) I always like looking at your pictures from your walks! :) 

You might find it amusing how the book and the movie are referred to in GG... And how their difference is referred to :giggle2:  I can't believe you're already watching season 5!! :D That's awesome! :cool:  

Oh, by the way... Are you in any way tempted to start the Rory Gilmore reading challenge? I'm not pushing it on you, don't worry! :D But I have to say, and I'm trying to say this as objectively as possible, the Rory list has actually introduced me to a number of books I wouldn't have read otherwise, and that were really amazing! So I'm really happy about the book list :) There have been a few duds, too, but the amazing ones far outnumber the duds :) 

I've always (well, the last few years - since we got Reu) enjoyed going on long walks, but when I say long I don't mean a few months long (like in Wild :lol:)...I mean a few hours long. That's long enough for me. :lol:

I haven't looked at the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge thread yet, but I'm always keeping an eye out on what books she is reading. There are very few that I have read (Atonement by Ian McEwan is one I spotted the other day) and to be honest some of them seem very daunting. :hide:  I'll have a wander through the thread and see what other books are on there....I haven't seen her reading any Stephen King, which is more up my alley. :P:blush2:

Edit: I've just skimmed the list, and there is a Stephen King book on there. :o  When does she read Cujo, or does she only mention it? I can't remember her mentioning it, but then again there are so many references to books/movies/people on that show that I may have well missed it!! Actually, the list isn't as daunting as I originally thought it would be. I think I will give it a go, given that I'm not actively doing any challenges.

Edited again: I've gone through the list in more detail and there are a few Stephen King books in there. How could I have missed those references??? Must've been too busy staring at Luke. :lol: I've actually read a lot more than I thought I would have, but I still have a decent chunk to be read. Luckily I already have a few on my Kindle, so I can read those ones first.

Edited by bobblybear

I've always (well, the last few years - since we got Reu) enjoyed going on long walks, but when I say long I don't mean a few months long (like in Wild )...I mean a few hours long. That's long enough for me. 

:D There's a bit of a difference there, yes, in the longevity, regarding both time and space... :lol: Wait till you get to the episode where Wild is relevant :D 

I haven't looked at the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge thread yet, but I'm always keeping an eye out on what books she is reading. There are very few that I have read (Atonement by Ian McEwan is one I spotted the other day) and to be honest some of them seem very daunting.  I'll have a wander through the thread and see what other books are on there....I haven't seen her reading any Stephen King, which is more up my alley.

Edit: I've just skimmed the list, and there is a Stephen King book on there.   When does she read Cujo, or does she only mention it? I can't remember her mentioning it, but then again there are so many references to books/movies/people on that show that I may have well missed it!! Actually, the list isn't as daunting as I originally thought it would be. I think I will give it a go, given that I'm not actively doing any challenges.

Yep, there's Stephen King there :D Loved reading your post, first saying  there's no Stephen King and then having to edit :D Oh and did you notice Stiff is also on the list? :cool: That's how I got to reading the book. Wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I think it's a Rory gem!

Edited again: I've gone through the list in more detail and there are a few Stephen King books in there. How could I have missed those references??? Must've been too busy staring at Luke. I've actually read a lot more than I thought I would have, but I still have a decent chunk to be read. Luckily I already have a few on my Kindle, so I can read those ones first.

But big YAY for you going for the list! :exc: And now I must explain a little: There are three different lists, and originally I was doing all the three, all the way till the end of last year. Then it seemed rather silly because one could just combine all the three, and add the new titles from the new season. Kylie has made the combined list and she was very nice and gave it to me when I asked prettily :)

The reason why you might not have noticed all the references of all the titles on the combined list: some references are subtle and you might not notice them until you're watching the series for the fourth time :thud: There are so many references there's just no way of getting them all on your first watch! Also, I think some references are of the movies, but people have listed the book version on the book list. In addition to that, someone (I can't remember who, I have to check it out) made a list many, many years ago, of a number of books that s/he/they thought Rory would read. So some are books that have not actually been mentioned in the series. Now, if you think that's just complete bullsh*t, I understand. You don't have to do that list. I personally went for it because I thought there were some great titles on the list, and I thought, it never hurts to have more material to read from :)

I'll go back and see the links to the original posts and I'll edit this post to add them here, so you can check out the original sources and then decide what you're going to do! :)

Edit: Oh, and while we call the challenge the Rory Gilmore reading challenge (because she is the 'main' reader in the series), you'll have found out by now that all the titles, mentioned by any one of the characters are on the list. So the Sue Grafton novels were mentioned by Sookie, for example. 

Edit: Sad news: the web pages from which I copied my lists are all gone.  I now have no original references for them :(

Edit: Oh My God :D I googled Rory Gilmore's reading challenge and in one of the links, the person who's listed the books on the website gives THIS FORUM and the specific RG reading challenge thread of ours as the source :D :D Check this out!

Edited by frankie

Doing a bit of end-of-the-year summary things for 2016, as always. 

My goals for 2016 were mostly these: 

1) read more books off the TBR pile than you acquire. - Failed miserably :D I read 5 books off the TBR list and acquired 83 books! 

2) maybe try at least 2 Book Box books. - Failed. Didn't try any. :D

3) visit many new-to-me libraries here in Helsinki. - Failed. Didn't do this to the extent I was planning on. 

Having said that, I can't be too hard on myself, because I started a new full-time job and so I obviously had way less time to dedicate to reading. Also, my mojo was running AWOL a lot of the time. 

- All in all, I read 52 books. Which is a rather low number for me as the statistics of read books in previous years show: 
2008: 77
2009: 118
2010: 120
2011: 91
2012: 83
2013: 78
2014: 100
2015: 75

- As for the books I read. Rating:

1/5: 4
2/5: 9
3/5: 15
4/5: 20
5/5: 4

5/5 books in chronological order
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Dry by Augusten Burroughs (re-read)
This Is Life by Dan Rhodes  - by far my most favorite read of the year! :wub: 
Far from True by Linwood Barclay

4/5 books in chronological order
A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig
One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway by Åsne Seierstad
Villi Ami (#Just William) by Richmal Crompton
How to Look for a Lost Dog by Ann M. Martin
Confess by Colleen Hoover
Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay
The Last of the Bowmans by J. Paul Henderson
Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (re-read)
A Mother's Reckoning - Living in the Aftermath of the Columbine Tragedy by Sue Klebold
Upstairs Downstairs by John Hawkesworth
Kevyesti kipsissä by Veera Vaahtera
Onnellisesti eksyksissä by Veera Vaahtera 
Sattumalta sinun by Veera Vaahtera 
Rakkautta, vahingossa by Veera Vaahtera 
Veljen vaimo by Henna Helmi Heinonen 
Hylätyt by Michael Hjorth & Hans Rosenfeldt
Varaudu pahimpaan by Petteri Nuottimäki 
Nina Is Not Ok by Shappi Khorsandi
The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen
This One Is Mine by Maria Semple

And the worst, 1/5
Edith's Diary by Patricia Highsmith 
The Vintage Springtime Club by Beatrice Meier 
Kun mustarastas laulaa by Linda Olsson
Charlotte Street by Juliette Mead

- I didn't read any books on the Rory Gilmore challenge list, nor did I read any 1001 Books books :(  I did, however read two books from the FTBC, which is great :) 

- also read 12 off the wishlist, so that's at least something. 46 read books were library books :unsure: 

- I read only 7 debuts. 

- Female authors ruled this year: 34 books I read were by female authors, and only 18 were by male authors. Two of those were co-written by two men, though, so maybe I should say 20 books :D 

- I read 34 books (more than half) in their original language, which is good. I read 26 books in Finnish, and 26 books in English :D The familiar vs. new-to-me authors also wanted to compromise this year: 26/26 :D 

- I read 9,5 books by Finnish author(s), which is pretty good in my opinion. The 0,5 is for Petteri Nuottimäki who was born in Finland but moved to Sweden when he was a kid, and I don't know whether he identifies himself as a Finn or a Swede or a mix. His book was great, though, so that's the most important thing :D 

That's it for me! Bye bye 2016, I won't miss you!! :P 

BYE FELICIA!